Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Let's be fair George Osbourne isn't gay so there's no reason for Private Eye to salivate while making implications.

Better publish some more poo poo about Lebedev being a poof rather than criticise his kremlin ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i like to play “spot the anti trans” joke in the private eye now, think there’s been at least one in the last five issues at least?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh they're down to just one? Might bother reading it again.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's only ever been one, but sometimes they repeat it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Failed Imagineer posted:

I love hammering that lil smiley dude in the face when I'm passing through the airport
There’s always one as you exit the loos which seems to assume a certain confidence in the public’s inclination towards handwashing

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

serious gaylord posted:

His 'sacking' from GB news and then re-instatement the next day was apparently due to Wooton intervening in his disciplinary for sexually harassing a co-worker.
Pretty crafty move on Darren's part, really

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'm never sure what exactly i'm being asked by those things

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

There's only ever been one, but sometimes they repeat it.

Well they did say they identify it as being funny.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

crispix posted:

i'm never sure what exactly i'm being asked by those things

Your entire state of mind on a subjecy, condensed down to a scale of :D to :(

(If you answer less than :D the staff will be reprimanded)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i've several times seen childer run up to the ones in supermarkets and mash all the buttons for fun

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1679533303492141066?t=H0I-g3uwbLsYPL4uqFXJQg&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

i've several times seen childer run up to the ones in supermarkets and mash all the buttons for fun

Good for them

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i was talking to the manager of a winemark (local rip off offie chain in NI where you go if you can't go supermarket for whatever reason) and she told me that the staff get disciplined if the average value of their transactions falls below a set threshold which always goes up

so you end up with the staff asking the local alcies who go in for the first tin of special brew of a morning if they're sure they don't want this £17 bottle of chablis as well lol

this was last thing on the 12th and the district parades were held in my town this year so they'd ofc taken way more money than usual but because those takings were comprised of very many Big Bawnd Men buying a couple of tinnies each the staff would be in for it

crispix fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 14, 2023

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's p disastrous how out of touch retail management seem to get with how their money comes in

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I feel like everyone in society is obsessed with the highest possible rating and it's exhausting. Not everyone can get an A in their GCSEs, not every uber ride is 5 stars.

I know in practice the system is hosed, and fucks anyone who doesn't get those grades; so I always rate customer service at 5 stars and then use the comments if I actually need to complain about the system, but it doesn't stop the whole thing being bullshit.

Most Uber rides are OK I guess, so it should be a 3/5 if it was just ok, nothing bad happened but nothing good happened, it did its job - only when it's lower than that should the driver get a word, any higher than that and they get a bonus.

Instead this ridiculous manipulation makes the grading absolutely meaningless, because everyone has to pretend that the godlike uber driver fixed my bad back, improved my sexual stamina and made my week - nay month - with the gentle kiss on the forehead as I left, weeping and born anew from his car. And the uber driver gets 'fired' if the customer doesn't.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 14, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yep that's the problem with all metricisation of work - the only rational worker strategy is to work to the metric and not to the job

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I implore everyone to watch this channel 4 news clip (2m 30s) which just highlights what a dire future (next 50 years) this country faces:

https://www.channel4.com/news/public-finances-to-become-more-vulnerable-in-the-long-term

* the population is gonna age horribly
* that means less tax income, more pension/health spending = more debt

in the middle of the video the economics correspondent says this can be fixed with

* less spending
* more taxes
* more economic growth

and then says "the OBR found a magic bullet for all three! sick people!!!" and then goes on to talk about the 440,000 people on long-term sickness who could be potentially forced back into work to Rescue Number.

anchor asks him "who are these people then"

correspondent says "oh, they're old people with crippling depression and no skills", so "we might wanna Help Them Back Into Work (Somehow)"

it's well worth a watch just for the sheer vibe of the conversation

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hard to understate how much we hate the tories in the cities of Bedfordshire but the loving rural shitheads keep getting them voted back in.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I don't care how dire the situation is and how neither party is willing to make the necessary decisions to alter our course.

The most important thing is to Get The Tories Out.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

To replace them with Red Tories who just make things steadily shittier so the Blue Tories get back in at the next election with a mandate to gently caress poo poo up even harder because look how bad things got under labour it’s time for a change britain!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Microplastics posted:

I implore everyone to watch this channel 4 news clip (2m 30s) which just highlights what a dire future (next 50 years) this country faces:

https://www.channel4.com/news/public-finances-to-become-more-vulnerable-in-the-long-term

* the population is gonna age horribly
* that means less tax income, more pension/health spending = more debt

in the middle of the video the economics correspondent says this can be fixed with

* less spending
* more taxes
* more economic growth

and then says "the OBR found a magic bullet for all three! sick people!!!" and then goes on to talk about the 440,000 people on long-term sickness who could be potentially forced back into work to Rescue Number.

anchor asks him "who are these people then"

correspondent says "oh, they're old people with crippling depression and no skills", so "we might wanna Help Them Back Into Work (Somehow)"

it's well worth a watch just for the sheer vibe of the conversation

Honestly this is only a few tweaks away from being the Mitchell and Webb sketch "Kill the Poor"

Pity Webb's a oval office because that series had so many great moments and they're gonna rip "are we the baddies" from my cold dead gender neutral skeleton hands.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I feel like everyone in society is obsessed with the highest possible rating and it's exhausting. Not everyone can get an A in their GCSEs, not every uber ride is 5 stars.

My rose-tinted view of England past isn't of anglo-saxon kids playing in fields, it's of being able to buy something without feeling pressured to share my opinion about it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Microplastics posted:

This is my concern, so much of the benefits system is being run by people with that 'just snap yourself out of it' mentality who've never experienced the slightest adversity.

The problem with any kind of disability accommodations is that people don't think about them until they need them, and people never think they'll need them until they do.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not to say that we should repeat it, hello MI5, but weren't the Tories a little kinder on the disabled after the Brighton bombing left one minister and Tebbit's wife relying on wheelchairs for the rest of their lives.

Well, some of the disabled.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

i was talking to the manager of a winemark (local rip off offie chain in NI where you go if you can't go supermarket for whatever reason) and she told me that the staff get disciplined if the average value of their transactions falls below a set threshold which always goes up

so you end up with the staff asking the local alcies who go in for the first tin of special brew of a morning if they're sure they don't want this £17 bottle of chablis as well lol

this was last thing on the 12th and the district parades were held in my town this year so they'd ofc taken way more money than usual but because those takings were comprised of very many Big Bawnd Men buying a couple of tinnies each the staff would be in for it

Lmao. The one round the corner of us has got a new manager who appears to take the whole thing very seriously. He introduced himself to my wife as “I’ve been in the wine business for 11 years”. All the kids in there who spend the day selling Buckie and Tennents to the village alcoholics hate him lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This is my concern, so much of the benefits system is being run by people with that 'just snap yourself out of it' mentality who've never experienced the slightest adversity.

The problem with any kind of disability accommodations is that people don't think about them until they need them, and people never think they'll need them until they do.

What I don't understand is that everyone I know has one or multiple family members with limited mobility because of poo poo like COPD or other seriously debilitating conditions.

Granted I think that is a bit more prevalent in my part of the country but like, it shouldn't take much for people to realise that it can and very probably will happen to either them or someone close in their lives.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And when they do, best case, they will repent and convert, but that doesn't really help in the wider sense.

OwlFancier posted:

What I don't understand is that everyone I know has one or multiple family members with limited mobility because of poo poo like COPD or other seriously debilitating conditions.

Granted I think that is a bit more prevalent in my part of the country but like, it shouldn't take much for people to realise that it can and very probably will happen to either them or someone close in their lives.

"Oh I don't mean YOU of course"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Not to say that we should repeat it, hello MI5, but weren't the Tories a little kinder on the disabled after the Brighton bombing left one minister and Tebbit's wife relying on wheelchairs for the rest of their lives.

Well, some of the disabled.
Similar to how Cameron's government paused the ratchet on disability until literally a month or two after his son died, and then let IDS start carving the services up. They only pretend to give a poo poo when one of theirs is affected.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Cameron regularly brought up his dead son as a shield from anyone that criticised the Tories demolition of the NHS.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just had a phone convo with a friend in her 70s I haven't talked to in ages:

"Oh you must listen to Andrew Bridgen, he's wonderful, he really tells it like it is & the MPs all hate him, & EVERYONE loves him" (everyone being the commentors under his youtube vids).

Aargh.

Mind you, she also thinks David Icke 'tells it like it is'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Telling it like it is seems to involve having no filter and deciding whatever currently feels right is objective reality, so I guess they both do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Mind you, she also thinks David Icke 'tells it like it is'.

The way it is: (mildly :nws:)

https://twitter.com/db_deadbeat/status/1091038954617356288

Your estranged telephone conversationalist must live a very interesting life.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

Lmao. The one round the corner of us has got a new manager who appears to take the whole thing very seriously. He introduced himself to my wife as “I’ve been in the wine business for 11 years”. All the kids in there who spend the day selling Buckie and Tennents to the village alcoholics hate him lol

apparently the premium wine they have in them sits on the shelves for years, and the bottles are often put on display in the windows in the baking heat lol

i mean it's NI and outside of maybe holywood you're not going to flog £20+ bottles of wine to many people here

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

i mean it's NI and outside of maybe holywood you're not going to flog £20+ bottles of wine to many people here

Can confirm, during lockdown we had a lend of our friends sweet house in Holywood overlooking the water, and drank many bottles of £20 wine from the nearby fancy offie. Such a nice part of the world except for the lingering air of hostility to outsiders

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They have that on the weather forecast there along with the pollen.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Can confirm, during lockdown we had a lend of our friends sweet house in Holywood overlooking the water, and drank many bottles of £20 wine from the nearby fancy offie. Such a nice part of the world except for the lingering air of hostility to outsiders

you were probably assumed to be a member of the travelling community tbh

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Man, I haven't taken the train much over the last few years but my wife and I both have independently a few times over the last week and things are gnarly.

First trip was only about an hour on a weekend morning. It was busy but calm. Train stops at a quiet station and the conductor gets off onto the platform when the doors open and suddenly we hear shouting. Some guy is yelling at him, telling him to gently caress off, calling him a oval office, etc. Suddenly we hear what sounds like a brief tussle and we see the conductor calling something in on a phone while the guy walks away. Apparently the guy pushed him and spat in his face.

My wife was on the second trip on the same day, which was longer. She sits opposite a table full of teenage girls who are drinking heavily, talking about fighting, and swearing loudly throughout the trip. At one point an American tourist gets on and comes over to the table and tells one of the girls that she's sitting in a reserved seat and asks her to move. The girl refuses and quickly becomes belligerent, calling her a oval office and threatening to beat her up. The tourist eventually walks away after someone intervenes but the girls continue to talk loudly about how they want to go find the tourist to beat her up.

Today my wife is coming back by train on another long trip and she had a group of very drunk, very loud and obnoxious middle aged men come on. The ticket attendant is an immigrant with a mild accent, and when he comes over to check their tickets the guy mocks his accent and says that if the attendant can't speak English properly he shouldn't have to pay. The attendant makes him pay, of course, and then walks away. The group then continue to poo poo talk the attendant for another 20 minutes, and at one point the guy who mocked his accent gets up and says he's going to look for the attendant to beat him up, though he ultimately sits down again.

It's loving feral out there... It wasn't like this when I used to take the train regularly before the pandemic.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

MeinPanzer posted:

Man, I haven't taken the train much over the last few years but my wife and I both have independently a few times over the last week and things are gnarly.

First trip was only about an hour on a weekend morning. It was busy but calm. Train stops at a quiet station and the conductor gets off onto the platform when the doors open and suddenly we hear shouting. Some guy is yelling at him, telling him to gently caress off, calling him a oval office, etc. Suddenly we hear what sounds like a brief tussle and we see the conductor calling something in on a phone while the guy walks away. Apparently the guy pushed him and spat in his face.

My wife was on the second trip on the same day, which was longer. She sits opposite a table full of teenage girls who are drinking heavily, talking about fighting, and swearing loudly throughout the trip. At one point an American tourist gets on and comes over to the table and tells one of the girls that she's sitting in a reserved seat and asks her to move. The girl refuses and quickly becomes belligerent, calling her a oval office and threatening to beat her up. The tourist eventually walks away after someone intervenes but the girls continue to talk loudly about how they want to go find the tourist to beat her up.

Today my wife is coming back by train on another long trip and she had a group of very drunk, very loud and obnoxious middle aged men come on. The ticket attendant is an immigrant with a mild accent, and when he comes over to check their tickets the guy mocks his accent and says that if the attendant can't speak English properly he shouldn't have to pay. The attendant makes him pay, of course, and then walks away. The group then continue to poo poo talk the attendant for another 20 minutes, and at one point the guy who mocked his accent gets up and says he's going to look for the attendant to beat him up, though he ultimately sits down again.

It's loving feral out there... It wasn't like this when I used to take the train regularly before the pandemic.

Wow! I've been on a few train journeys in the past couple of months and not experienced anything like that (basically South Wales via London to Brighton, South Wales to North Wales).

What I have experienced is train cancellations (hence 2 or more people with the same seat reservation number), trains stopping short of their destinations etc (and got refunds for all or part of journeys from Train Delay).

A friend is a train guard and during the pandemic people not wearing masks would deliberately spit in his face.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

MeinPanzer posted:

I think airlines found that abuse, violence/sexual assault against staff, and drunken aggressiveness soared to astonishingly never-seen-before levels during the pandemic - and have remained extremely high ever since, even after the end of mask mandates and travel restrictions.

Like something that broke during the pandemic now can't quite be put back together again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Oracy will fix society