Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

super sweet best pal posted:

I figured out why the Mary Poppins parody always felt off to me, like a season 10 episode transplanted to season 8. Al Jean wrote it.
I like this joke that opens the episode, but it also overexplains the bit and then peters out, working as a kind of harbinger for jokes in later seasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryOmqxJcK5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

redshirt posted:

Did anyone say Armin Tamzarian yet?

No, the penalty for doing so it torture.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Coaaab posted:

I like this joke that opens the episode, but it also overexplains the bit and then peters out, working as a kind of harbinger for jokes in later seasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryOmqxJcK5w

Nah, it's an ongoing bit that Krusty realises his show sucks as he's on the air and it's great every time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

No Dignity posted:

Nah, it's an ongoing bit that Krusty realises his show sucks as he's on the air and it's great every time

Yeah, the entire gimmick with Krusty is that he's always shown loving up in some way or doing something completely ridiculous even by entertainment standards. Even goes with his spotlight episodes where he's usually going between very high highs and very low lows, because he has genuine talent but rarely ever uses it, and is prone to impressively bad decisions and not keeping up with the times.

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm not sure Leela was ever portrayed as perfect, and as for being attractive, well... she was a cyclops...

Also in that episode where Leela had two eyes, Fry was the only one who said she didn't need the surgery and was just fine with one eye, cos he's a good dude.

Leela's also a major emotional wreck, prone to bad decisions if she thinks she'll get validation, has a tendency to go mad with power whenever she gets a whiff of it, and apparently if she had just slightly less self-control she'd probably have killed most of her co-workers within a week, at least according to Anthology of Interest. She's spent her whole life dealing with sexism, racism, and barely surviving a clearly inadequate social safety net, and has a ton of insecurities from it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

When Futurama started, Fry was more of the main viewpoint character, and as such he was a relatable everyman, and from that perspective, the audience would be more aware of his inner life and his flaws compared to the other characters. And when the show stumbled from that into something like an ensemble comedy, they leaned way more into the idea that Fry is just really dumb (which conversely meant that the other characters were some kind of smart).

Although it's also a classic male gaze situation with relationship between Fry and Leela where the man is supposed to be relatably flawed and dumpy, while the woman is supposed to be attractive and perfect except for the natural inscrutability from being a separate human being with her own inner life.

IIRC the writers have outright admitted they made Fry more weird and dumb as the show went on, in part because he's shown as adapting so well to the future he doesn't really work as much for the fish-out-of-water anymore. (and there is kind of a theme that he was always a bit of a weirdo, and while he struggled in the 20th century he adapts better to the weird world of the future)

Actually he IS canonically intellectually disabled, even if it's usually treated as a joke... it does explain a lot. He might be doing pretty well, all things considered.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

No Dignity posted:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the entire gimmick with Krusty is that he's always shown loving up in some way or doing something completely ridiculous even by entertainment standards. Even goes with his spotlight episodes where he's usually going between very high highs and very low lows, because he has genuine talent but rarely ever uses it, and is prone to impressively bad decisions and not keeping up with the times.

90% of it is fine, but i feel a bit of i gets ruined when krusty actually says "KKK?!" out loud. it's literally spelling out the joke! :argh:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Mr Interweb posted:

90% of it is fine, but i feel a bit of i gets ruined when krusty actually says "KKK?!" out loud. it's literally spelling out the joke! :argh:
That's not good! *krusty groan sfx*

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Back when the voice actors were trying even obvious punchline underlining like that could be funny. Some of those jokes that get cut for syndication are like this.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Like everything, it's all in the performance. The writing is great yes, but a lot of Simpsons is so funny because of the voice actors. It's like Billy West taking pretty funny dialogue as Fry ("No I'm... doesn't."/"Hey look, it's that guy you are!") and knocking it out of the park with unholy. Acting. TALENT

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I know people here generally don't like the Mary Poppins episode, but I watched it again fairly recently and was surprised by how funny I thought it was. It's not perfect, and you can definitely argue that it's a harbinger of things to come, but the song parodies are dead on, clearly done with a certain amount of love for the source material.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Given all the hype around the Barbie movie, how long until the Simpsons does a Malibu Stacy movie episode? They’ll want to strike while the iron is hot… maybe we can expect something in 2026?

Alan_Shore posted:

Like everything, it's all in the performance. The writing is great yes, but a lot of Simpsons is so funny because of the voice actors. It's like Billy West taking pretty funny dialogue as Fry ("No I'm... doesn't."/"Hey look, it's that guy you are!") and knocking it out of the park with unholy. Acting. TALENT

I can’t think of a Billy West performance that ever seemed phoned in. He’s always on (although I didn’t watch the later Futurama seasons).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Halisnacks posted:

He’s always on (although I didn’t watch the later Futurama seasons).

He doesn't sleepwalk through any of it, despite the poor material at times. None of the cast does.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Because I love Stargate I watched the (S17E17) episode "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bangalore".

And loved it, I laughed.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

PostNouveau posted:

He doesn't sleepwalk through any of it, despite the poor material at times. None of the cast does.

Yeah late Futurama has its cons for sure, but voice performance isn't one of them

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Futurama DVD commentaries are an absolute blast. Why they're not included on streaming I'll never understand. I wouldn't even know where to find them now unless I try to find my DVDs

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Alan_Shore posted:

The Futurama DVD commentaries are an absolute blast. Why they're not included on streaming I'll never understand. I wouldn't even know where to find them now unless I try to find my DVDs

:agreed: I haven't listened to them lately, but I remember John DiMaggio being completely insane in a good way

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

UP AND ADAM posted:

Back when the voice actors were trying even obvious punchline underlining like that could be funny. Some of those jokes that get cut for syndication are like this.

Alan_Shore posted:

this is absolutely 100% true, and a major part of why new simpsons sucks. even when they write the occasional, once in a blue moon decent joke, their performance still manages to ruin it cause they're either phoning it in or cause their voices ain't what it used to be

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I want mp3s of the futurama and simpsons commentaries, I haven't heard them in at least a decade but feel like they'd be perfect podcasts

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alan_Shore posted:

I've always been confused by the lack of commentaries on streaming stuff. You'd think with how desperate they are for content then adding them for what amounts to negligible costs compared to film stuff, would be a no Brainer.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

dr_rat posted:

I've always been confused by the lack of commentaries on streaming stuff. You'd think with how desperate they are for content then adding them for what amounts to negligible costs compared to film stuff, would be a no Brainer.

100%, same with tv show DVD special features. Pretty sure Paramount owns that content and could get a few more subscribers by mentioning they have the cool bonus stuff from DS9 DVDs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole strike situation at the moment is because the big media companies are huge lazy entitled babies who don't want to spend pennies on anything but more Content garbage.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sentient Data posted:

I want mp3s of the futurama and simpsons commentaries, I haven't heard them in at least a decade but feel like they'd be perfect podcasts

this would be dope, I bet you can find them somewhere

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
For a while they were on one of the video social media sites that isn't youtube, can:t rember which one, but I think they were taking down a bit ago when fox remembered the site existed and told them to knock it off.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

their voices ain't what it used to be

The writers should seize on this opportunity and feature way more Old Jewish Man.

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Number 8 *burp*
Number 8 *burp*
Number 8 *burp*
Number 8 *burp*

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Off the top of my head I think the Criterion Channel is the only streaming service I've seen that includes commentary tracks and other supplemental features along with the movies.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

dr_rat posted:

same here. really, why is that? i was never a big buyer of DVDs/blu-rays/UHDs, but one of the best things about them were commentary tracks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The meme thread linked a post way back on page 27 and reminded me I liked the jockeys episode. Mostly for the horse. I mean drat, that horse has an arc. A bit like Stampy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fry has a massive schlong.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fry has a massive schlong.

Nuh uh, he was born before they corrected small penises with genetic engineering.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The meme thread linked a post way back on page 27 and reminded me I liked the jockeys episode. Mostly for the horse. I mean drat, that horse has an arc. A bit like Stampy.
yeah, I like saddlesore galactica more than most sensible people, the furious d montage was a bit that always made me smile

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Coaaab posted:

yeah, I like saddlesore galactica more than most sensible people, the furious d montage was a bit that always made me smile

…mods?! :ohdear:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I thought the jockies being elves was funny when I was 10 and thus the song has been stuck in my head ever since.

That era of The Simpsons is a pretty big dropoff off from the classic era but I still find it watchable, and even like certain episodes quite a bit. It's Zombie Simpsons but the meats still warm, y'know

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And the episode brings up the previous horse episode, but really, it pretty much takes a completely different route from that. Particularly with the horse being a character, not just a macguffin.

Also it might be one of those things where it's basically a pro wrestling plot in disguise, just the heel is a horse.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

No Dignity posted:

Season 3 is when the show starts to whackier and *really* funny, but I've really come round on seasons 1 & 2 as a fairly earnest family comedy-drama. Himer's original characterisation as a fairly conservative family patriarch is wild to look back on now though given where his character went

I think the stones thrown at the first season can stand, it really felt more like an animated tech demo than a show for that one.

Season 2 does not deserve this judgement, that's where the animation tightened up at the wheel and the strength of the show started taking root. And it was also the very first Treehouse of Horror season!

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I've been rewatching the whole show as a background show while working, and up to S16 though the last few seasons haven't been great the have still been watchable, Pranksta Rap is absolutely the first episode this is hard to watch with cringyness.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I will always defend season 2 as part of the golden age. Lots of classic episodes, and while less wacky is still very funny.
Miss Hoover's absence in Lisa's Substitute is told so darkly hilariously. Skinner delighted to explain Lime disease to the children in front of her obvious distress, Ralph drawing here a picture of a spirochete on a get well card, and when it turns out to be psychosomatic we get "does that mean you're crazy?", "no it means she was faking it", "actually it's a little of both".

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Annabel Pee posted:

I've been rewatching the whole show as a background show while working, and up to S16 though the last few seasons haven't been great the have still been watchable, Pranksta Rap is absolutely the first episode this is hard to watch with cringyness.

Oof and the very next episode is the gay marriage one with Patty marrying a woman who turns out to be a man. What a string of horrible episodes.

E: what the gently caress? This episode that literally is full of stereotypes, a man pretending to be a woman to play women’s golf, Marge being a massive homophobe all of a sudden, apparently got good reviews from the gay and lesbian alliance at the time.

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 20, 2023

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Annabel Pee posted:

Excellent post date combo.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
goddamit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bitterandtwisted posted:

I will always defend season 2 as part of the golden age. Lots of classic episodes, and while less wacky is still very funny.
Miss Hoover's absence in Lisa's Substitute is told so darkly hilariously. Skinner delighted to explain Lime disease to the children in front of her obvious distress, Ralph drawing here a picture of a spirochete on a get well card, and when it turns out to be psychosomatic we get "does that mean you're crazy?", "no it means she was faking it", "actually it's a little of both".

100%, S2 is rock solid with Dancin’ Homer a personal favorite, stealing cable (the “So You’ve Decided to Steal Cable pamphlet is incredible), Blood Feud… all great. S1 is also good although yeah a bit out of date. Plus starting with S2 means not starting with the Michael Jackson ep.