Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

njsykora posted:

Goodwood fought to the death over installing a catch net over the spectator tunnel entrance after a car flipped into it and nearly crushed someone because it wouldn't be period appropriate. They aren't going to change anything there until someone literally dies.

Counterpoint: based on those videos it looks like hay bales are safe as gently caress, has the FIA heard of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

njsykora posted:

Goodwood fought to the death over installing a catch net over the spectator tunnel entrance after a car flipped into it and nearly crushed someone because it wouldn't be period appropriate. They aren't going to change anything there until someone literally dies.

Nobody died from the wheel or the car flipping and F1 was literally putting cranes on the direct run off of corners under yellow flags in the rain less than a decade ago. Nice hysteria bro

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

F1 hosed up cranes and safety cars twice just last year.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lol thanks for reminding me they penalised Gasly for Suzuka instead of admitting they did a bad thing

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

MustardFacial posted:

As if Red Bull would ever let Albon win a WDC.

lol.

albon is a good lad but doesn't have what it takes to win.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MustardFacial posted:

Seems like all of your problems would be solved if you just left.

If you are true to your values, if you believe that your values are correct values, then walking away from the dark forces you are faced with in life, just doesn't become an option.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Counterpoint: based on those videos it looks like hay bales are safe as gently caress, has the FIA heard of those?

It took them a full hour to clean up and get some new bales set up.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

lorenzo bandini was pretty familiar with them

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I can only assume those who genuinely think Albon would be better off at Alpha Tauri right now got hit in the head by that wheel at Goodwood.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

njsykora posted:

Spectator deaths are period appropriate.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dudley posted:

I can only assume those who genuinely think Albon would be better off at Alpha Tauri right now got hit in the head by that wheel at Goodwood.

No you see he's missing a huge opportunity to drive an AT around scoring no points before getting dropped, instead of being in a team that looks like they are on an upward trajectory, reliably getting out of Q1, and getting noticed and celebrated whenever he scores points, with a path to a Mercedes seat.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That seems harsh I mean it all went absolutely find for Danil Kyvat when he went back and now he's driving.... *checks notes *

A Ligier with a couple of Lamborghini badges on.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Charles Leclerc posted:

If you are true to your values, if you believe that your values are correct values, then walking away from the dark forces you are faced with in life, just doesn't become an option.

This post smells like a sweaty fedora and cheap stainless steel.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Spectator deaths are period appropriate.

Gladiators, etc.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Personal Lucubrant posted:

This post smells like a sweaty fedora and cheap stainless steel.

It is a Ron Dennis quote, yes.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

No you see he's missing a huge opportunity to drive an AT around scoring no points before getting dropped, instead of being in a team that looks like they are on an upward trajectory, reliably getting out of Q1, and getting noticed and celebrated whenever he scores points, with a path to a Mercedes seat.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dudley posted:

He's infinitely better off at Williams right now.

The only point of going to RB at this point would be if you think you can beat Max, as much as I love Albon, that's an insanely tall order. If you can't beat Max then that seat is nothing but pressure and everyone looking for reasons you shouldn't be in it. Williams seems to love him and with Vowles at the helm they seem to be genuinely trying to not be a poo poo team. He's got a contract there until 2025 and if he keeps up his current form he could easily extend that. Staying there feels like the best way for him to stay in F1 for a long time and if they manage to revive Williams as a team, that legacy is probably a lot cooler than being the guy that played second fiddle to Max for a few years.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

My dudes, you also can't beat Max in a Williams. Might as well get 20 podiums a year when the RBR #2 currently climbing into his own grave leaves the seat open and you're option 1 of 1 to replace him.

RBR expect Max to beat you. They expect Max to beat you by a decent margin. The pressure from the team is almost non-existent the problem every #2 has had there since 2018 is they can't accept this on a personal level and their performance slides off a cliff relative to themselves.

Also imagining the RBR will be dominant your whole career is dumb. Things change. When things change, do you want to be the guy experienced fighting the names at the front of the field or the guy who has been fighting Debris, Kmag and bottas?
Oh look [newly dominant team] has a seat open and my resume reads "only loses to Max" lets see if I can get that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My only hope is that Max gets bored with F1 and retires to play more sim games and then Horner tries to find his next abused-into-becoming-a-driving-terminator Golden Goose but is stuck dealing with normal humans.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

all of this is moot because with a few more upgrades we're going to be looking at a decade of mclaren dominance

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

all of this is moot because with a few more upgrades we're going to be looking at a decade of mclaren dominance

Phwoar! Big Zak leading us to the promise land :swoon:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
its a question of, would you rather be someone's bitch and rack up podiums knowing there's zero chance you'll ever be #1 or prioritised first, or drive for a binman team where you can forge your own destiny even if it's at the back of the grid

goons would pick #1, most f1 drivers would pick #2 i'm learning. there's been so many cases in F1 history where a driver turned down a #2 seat at a frontrunning team to be #1 at a binman team instead. i never understood it, because it seems pretty cut and dry to me, but i guess that's what separates us from how F1 drivers think

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lewis will get in there next season #StillWeRise

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rhopunzel posted:

its a question of, would you rather be someone's bitch and rack up podiums knowing there's zero chance you'll ever be #1 or prioritised first, or drive for a binman team where you can forge your own destiny even if it's at the back of the grid

goons would pick #1, most f1 drivers would pick #2 i'm learning. there's been so many cases in F1 history where a driver turned down a #2 seat at a frontrunning team to be #1 at a binman team instead. i never understood it, because it seems pretty cut and dry to me, but i guess that's what separates us from how F1 drivers think

I mean if you spent your whole life trying to make it to F1 and actually made it, it's not unreasonable that a number of guys would take the option that probably keeps them in the sport longer, and that's before you get into the differences of having the team built around you vs. being the #2 guy.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Khablam posted:

lmao "let"

You get in the car and you go quicker than the other guy.

That's it, that's the big secret.

We get it, you like Max. Shut up.

Charles Leclerc posted:

Everyone is a hero in their own story. Even the villains .

tony quidtana posted:

I still laugh at him going on an entire tangent about starship troopers the book being better than the film. Which is just about the most insane take I've ever heard in my life

The only part of the book that were better than the movie was that the troopers all had jetpacks and their rifles fired nuclear warheads.

Hell Yeah OP! Big Zak and Lando are ushering us to a decade of dominance :lando:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Khablam posted:

My dudes, you also can't beat Max in a Williams. Might as well get 20 podiums a year when the RBR #2 currently climbing into his own grave leaves the seat open and you're option 1 of 1 to replace him.

RBR expect Max to beat you. They expect Max to beat you by a decent margin. The pressure from the team is almost non-existent the problem every #2 has had there since 2018 is they can't accept this on a personal level and their performance slides off a cliff relative to themselves.

Also imagining the RBR will be dominant your whole career is dumb. Things change. When things change, do you want to be the guy experienced fighting the names at the front of the field or the guy who has been fighting Debris, Kmag and bottas?
Oh look [newly dominant team] has a seat open and my resume reads "only loses to Max" lets see if I can get that.

your second point directly contradicts your first one

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Rhopunzel posted:

There's like 2 goons saying that. I'm firmly in the Williams camp.

Both are valid opinions but one is a horrible experience dead end and the other has the potential to be a career defining post. I'm not really being ambitious on which is which.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Join the ranks of yet another Red Bull shitter that got stomped by Max? Or be known as the guy who brought Williams back from the dead?

Clearly the smoothbrains here claiming Albon is dumb for staying at Willaims know nothing of building a legacy or reputation (unless it's a reputation for being a shitheel).

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

I can’t believe someone wouldn’t want to work with Christian Horner every day

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I’m just a DTS dipshit but it seems to me like playing the good teammate is genuinely not rewarded in this sport compared to being consistently faster than your teammate.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i'd just like you guys to know, i promise i'll never race for oracle red bull racing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i'd just like you guys to know, i promise i'll never race for oracle red bull racing

:hmmyes:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Khablam posted:

All these people here being like actually being Bottas from 2017-2021 is bad. Seems like a dope life where you're on the podium all the time and get W's every so often just don't gently caress up and miss Q2 like 10 races in a row.

Checo WDC 2023 is still in the cards though, just need 4 straight Max DNFs

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think we are learning that being a Bottas is actually hard.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

fella made it into Q3 a hundred times in a row and also has a rad moustache now

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

smackfu posted:

I think we are learning that being a Bottas is actually hard.

yeah, if the rbr #2 seat is such a desirable spot it seems like they should've been able to find a bottas unless there just aren't many bottasses out there

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Rosburg is going to come out of retirement to take Checo's seat and end up winning the WDC against max in 2024.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Rosburg is going to come out of retirement to take Checo's seat and end up winning the WDC against max in 2024.

do you think they'll let him wear his signature tan suit in the cockpit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's not a suit that's just his spray tan so he's ready to go in the oven.