Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men

gey muckle mowser posted:

My niece is really into spooky stuff, ghost stories, etc, but she's only 7 so I can't really show her anything intense yet (she loved Coraline and Nightmare Before Christmas though). It's gonna be really fun showing her more horror movies in a couple years.

I have a 10 year old and his favorite movie period for like 2 years was Monster House (Dan Harmon has a writing credit on it randomly). It's animated, a ton of fun, and isn't too scary even for most 5 year old kids. He moved on to watching Coraline on repeat after that, which I think is scarier than most people realize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I watched the 2019 animated Addams Family for the May Challenge and that's a fun little movie for the younger kids.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FueledBySatan posted:

I have a 10 year old and his favorite movie period for like 2 years was Monster House (Dan Harmon has a writing credit on it randomly). It's animated, a ton of fun, and isn't too scary even for most 5 year old kids. He moved on to watching Coraline on repeat after that, which I think is scarier than most people realize.

I like Monster House, Constance is a very strong character.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My 6 year old was getting too worked up by Hotel Transylvania, I want to introduce them to some of this stuff but I know it's too much right now. I bet when they're older they'll be real into some of this stuff though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

My 6 year old was getting too worked up by Hotel Transylvania, I want to introduce them to some of this stuff but I know it's too much right now. I bet when they're older they'll be real into some of this stuff though.

When I was that age my father showed me Jaws. It was a different time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

FueledBySatan posted:

yeah Coraline has some stuff in it that even creeps me out, my sister actually put that on for my niece and I’m not sure she knew what she was getting into. Fortunately she loved it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Basebf555 posted:

When I was really little I was a wuss too, I got really scared watching ET when the government agents are trying to get ET and he's almost dead when I was about this age. By the time I was 10 I was watching Aliens, Terminator, Predator, Rocky Horror, and Army of Darkness.

Yes, I know, one of these things is not like the other.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah what kind of sick freak shows their kid Army of Darkness before Evil Dead 2

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I know it's a stretch, but The Neverending Story movies are decent "horror" films for young kids. Atreyu's horse in the swamp haunted me as a kid... :ohdear:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

There’s no wrong age to see Jaws

Bogus Adventure posted:

I know it's a stretch, but The Neverending Story movies are decent "horror" films for young kids. Atreyu's horse in the swamp haunted me as a kid... :ohdear:

Well that’s not scary really, just sad as hell

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like there’s a strategical flaw in picking films for kids based on what memorably freaked us out as kids. Unless the goal is to traumatize another generation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

There’s no wrong age to see Jaws

It's weird because then when Jurassic Park came out in 1993 I was like two years older than when I'd seen Jaws, and my father all the sudden was concerned about taking me to see that. I had to grind him down over a period of several months before he broke down and took me to see it.

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like there’s a strategical flaw in picking films for kids based on what memorably freaked us out as kids. Unless the goal is to traumatize another generation.

Well there's always a fine line between a traumatic movie experience and having a great time being spooked. Like, did the scene in Ghostbusters where the hands come out of the chair and attack Dana give me a whole bunch of nightmares as a kid? Absolutely, but that fear is a big part of why I ended up loving the horror movie experience. You have to learn from experience that being scared in a controlled safe setting like a movie is actually a lot of fun.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 14, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If they felt good enough to give Jaws a PG, you should feel good enough to show it to kids :colbert:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Show your kids the Secret of NIMH

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Deadite posted:

Show your kids the Secret of NIMH

YES

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Drunkboxer posted:

Gmork also hosed me up pretty bad

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Drunkboxer posted:

Neverending Story is kind of existential horror. The Rock Biter surrendering to the Nothing because he failed to save his friends. The Gmork wanting to prevent anyone from stopping the Nothing because he wants it to swallow up everything including him.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Well there's always a fine line between a traumatic movie experience and having a great time being spooked. Like, did the scene in Ghostbusters where the hands come out of the chair and attack Dana give me a whole bunch of nightmares as a kid? Absolutely, but that fear is a big part of why I ended up loving the horror movie experience. You have to learn from experience that being scared in a controlled safe setting like a movie is actually a lot of fun.

Yeah I definitely wouldn’t like the genre as much if I didn’t get scared/scarred when I was a kid, though obviously there’s limits. Jaws didn’t scare me though, I was probably 7 or 8 when I saw it and I was 100% on the sharks side iirc. I wanted him to eat as many people as possible because sharks are cool

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 14, 2023

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

When I was 5(!!!!!!!), my aunt had me watch The Exorcist with her while babysitting me :lmao:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

I remember a time when I was fairly young where I was enraptured by Aliens but I had trouble with the Wizard of Oz and Fantasia because the tornado scene and Night on Bald Mountain were both too scary. Kids are weird.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I watched Basic Instinct with my family when I was like 11. It was awkward.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

C2C - 2.0 posted:

When I was 5(!!!!!!!), my aunt had me watch The Exorcist with her while babysitting me :lmao:

That is hosed

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I was probably 6 or 7 when I watched the Universal Monsters movies with my dad and I had great memories of that time, I didn't revisit them until decades later because I didn't want to spoil the memory. And then I liked them all even more when I did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Invader Zim Halloween special is the best of all time

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Baron von Eevl posted:

When I was really little I was a wuss too, I got really scared watching ET when the government agents are trying to get ET and he's almost dead when I was about this age.

I got really scared watching ET because there's a loving ALIEN and these kids don't know what they're doing. Whole movie was like that gif from Xtro or...just like Greys looking in your window at night.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

If we're talking traumatizing children's horror, I just learned that Tom Savini made the Gooey Gus puppet/monster for the series finale of Ghostwriter.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

You know what hosed me up as a kid? That episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark where the kid gets trapped in a VR game with the computer virus. Genuinely gross body horror with the port growing out of the kid’s hand and the mindfuck with multiple layers of reality

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pee Wee's Big Adventure also mixes up some genuine scary moments courtesy of Tim Burton not being able to help himself. Pee Wee's nightmare about his bike is horrifying. Also, gonna toss in The Witches (the Anjelica Huston version). It rules.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mover posted:

You know what hosed me up as a kid? That episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark where the kid gets trapped in a VR game with the computer virus. Genuinely gross body horror with the port growing out of the kid’s hand and the mindfuck with multiple layers of reality

The Langoliers-esque one with the glasses haunted me for a while.

FueledBySatan
Nov 26, 2006

We are but men

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah what kind of sick freak shows their kid Army of Darkness before Evil Dead 2

Evil Dead is my favorite movie and I've seen it more than 75 times at this point. I've seen Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness around 5 times. I know I'm in the minority, but there's something about the first one that does it for me.

Edit: I absolutely loved Evil Dead 2013. I was absolutely amazed they didn't ruin my favorite movie and actually scared me with something new. Evil Dead Rise hits very different as a parent. I actually had to leave the theater halfway through because my wife couldn't handle it. (Nobody tell her that I told anyone... I will be in trouble).

FueledBySatan fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 15, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The original is my favorite too, by a large margin. I don't know what it is, but it hits that perfect spot of being charming and genuinely inventive while also being kind of ridiculous but not trying to make it a joke.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just watched Influencer and I really liked it! Very cool hook. I do have a question -

I assumed right away that Madison would take her revenge so I was watching looking for clues that she had survival skills, like a picture on her feed of her in a survival camp or something that was just below the picture CK was looking at.

I didn't catch any clues unfortunately, but I did browse my phone a couple times. Was there any clue before the return to the island?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mover posted:

Hell, I'm still scared of the Ghastly Grinner

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FueledBySatan posted:

Evil Dead is my favorite movie and I've seen it more than 75 times at this point. I've seen Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness around 5 times. I know I'm in the minority, but there's something about the first one that does it for me.

When I was in college we showed ED on VHS in my dorm about a million times.

One of my favorite pleasures was showing it to some unsuspecting new person.

“Jack.. of spades. Two… of spades.. JACK OF DIAMONDS QUEEN OF DIAMONDS RARRRRGH”

edit: Also, Demon Linda doing a reprise of the “furtive gaze around the necklace” game was just :discourse:

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 15, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Who else in this thread owns the special necronomicon edition of the Evil Dead DVD?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

MrMojok posted:

That is hosed

Took years & years to move on from how much that movie scared (and affected) me.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Deadite posted:

Who else in this thread owns the special necronomicon edition of the Evil Dead DVD?

I do and it’s totally degraded. Keep it in a ziploc lol

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Deadite posted:

WeaponX posted:

I do and it’s totally degraded. Keep it in a ziploc lol

Yeah mine is practically disintegrated, looks even scarier

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
edit wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Medullah posted:

I just watched Influencer and I really liked it! Very cool hook. I do have a question -

I assumed right away that Madison would take her revenge so I was watching looking for clues that she had survival skills, like a picture on her feed of her in a survival camp or something that was just below the picture CK was looking at.

I didn't catch any clues unfortunately, but I did browse my phone a couple times. Was there any clue before the return to the island?

I don’t recall seeing any clues of this type.

I think Madison being able to survive was simply necessary to the story in order for the villain to get her comeuppance.

Personally I felt as soon as she saw the camp and cooking setup she should have dumped the body and bailed.

Glad you enjoyed it too, I had fun watching it.