Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Arivia posted:

TitS FC has really come together and become something special in the Final Chapter. Thanks for recommending it you all, this game is a blast.

When you get to the cliffhanger at the end, imagine having to wait for 5 years until the next part (while assuming you'll never get it, because the PSP was already completely dead in the west at that point).

This is what finally got me to learn Japanese, which in the end actually was faster than waiting for the translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The farewell scene in Sky 3 really got to me. The song that plays is really superb at evoking the feeling of that scene.

I do kinda fear for the series finale of Trails, though. It's gonna hit Suikoden levels of cast, but I'm here for all my friends coming together to fight the Grandmaster or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it makes you feel better there will never be a series finale for Trails. Either it will keep going forever or Falcom will die.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, at some point they have to run out of Anguis to keep on bombshell revealing, right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the end of the Ouroboros Saga

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, at some point they have to run out of Anguis to keep on bombshell revealing, right?

Reverie points out that they literally run training programs to make new ones so no!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

They're in the middle of recruiting for a replacement Anguis during the Kuro games, who haven't been revealed yet so... yeah. It's not like Enforcers who seem finite.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Best RPG crush = Rydia

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
My first JRPG crush was Katt from Breath of Fire II, and in light of that it's kind of surprising I'm not a furry.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tamba posted:

When you get to the cliffhanger at the end, imagine having to wait for 5 years until the next part (while assuming you'll never get it, because the PSP was already completely dead in the west at that point).

This is what finally got me to learn Japanese, which in the end actually was faster than waiting for the translation.

the steam page kind of spoiled it for me already and it sounds utterly heartbreaking

yeah i'd've been mad too

eat poo poo lorence you goddamn spammy fucker yeah i beat you into the ground and got the achievement

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
got riki back, all is right with the world

i can't blame people for being put off by his introduction but it's still great how you have to go cadge his equipment from the vendors when he "joins" you. beanie baby dirtbag

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Oxxidation posted:

got riki back, all is right with the world

i can't blame people for being put off by his introduction but it's still great how you have to go cadge his equipment from the vendors when he "joins" you. beanie baby dirtbag

Heropon very cool tbh.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Colonel posted:

remembering the story that a ton of jp gamers named the heroine in bahamut lagoon after their girlfriend or crush and were enraged when the plot of bahamut lagoon happened

I completely misread where things were going for an rpg for the playstation. So ended up having to restart the game with different names when it became clear the character I named for my sister was the love interest.

That put a stop to me using real names in RPGs entirely.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Namnesor posted:

My first JRPG crush was Katt from Breath of Fire II, and in light of that it's kind of surprising I'm not a furry.

It took me a long time to realize Katt was not wearing pants. I never saw a full picture of her until much later.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
And why not? They let Donald Duck get away with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
*gis katt* yikes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I still can't tell if Sly Cooper is or isn't wearing pants

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

he's on the sly

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got ending A of F&H2. Prob won't go back and get B and C myself or any of the character unique stuff since it's so draining but I still recommend it. Really nothing like it.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is there a good write up for understanding the various level up/mastery/ability systems in Troubleshooter? I've come back to the game and have no idea what I'm doing.

What specifically are you having issues understanding? Most everything has a tooltip that explains what it does and how it is triggered.

I started the game about a week before the Steam Sale, and I have been playing it increasingly frequently as I unlock more stuff and am starting to see how ridiculous things can get with masteries and bonds. I still only have four members and am in the mid 20s as far as levels go. Even then, I see a lot of potential.

In my current battle, Irene whiffed her attack, but it triggered Sion's pincer attack, and used his electricity ability that can hit up three enemies that are close together from cover 3 tiles away, scoring a triple kill. And that's just a normal interaction. I have Albus decked out as a Great Swordsman with reaction/counterattack and a focus on boosting damage/SP/vigor/etc on attacking bleeding enemies. Currently, if he doesn't kill an enemy in one hit, he has a chance to attack again with his reactive attack. If he kills a bleeding enemy on his turn, it's his turn again; if not, he still gets 30 time reduction and is likely close to being next.

Otherwise, I have been just adding masteries to my folks that make sense/seem to be strong, and if a mastery set is close to being completed, I will look up what it requires, as needed.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Mysticblade posted:

Just finished off Epic Battle Fantasy 4. Pretty good game, I nearly wiped on the final boss twice on the same phase (one of skull obelisks can use an AoE instant death attack when charged up, second one came from the destroyer throwing poison attacks at me from nowhere) but I had a lot of fun with it overall. I don't think I'm going for 100% but I am considering starting the next game.

Definitely give EBF5 a shot. I absolutely love its take on turn based battles, especially how you can swap active characters with those in backup on your turn. Character builds are flexible and fun, the secrets are numerous, and you can click on cyclops boobs to make them jiggle.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

RareAcumen posted:

The fourth game that doesn't exist made his legs more visibly furry.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
More FFIV Ultima thoughts: I enjoy the Bestiary and the little jokes in there, but it makes me very aware of the fact that this game's steal system sucks. They try to supplement the fact that one of the last people in the game is the one to have this command by just force-dropping a knife on you which uses Mug on attacks, but there's two problems here:
1. I have two people who can use knives right now, Palom (should not be attacking, is a mage and a child) and Cecil (why in the gently caress would I ever give him a pocketknife when he's my strongest physical damage dealer)
2. A downside to the way the Bestiary works is I can't see if a target is steal-immune or has anything worth grabbing until after I finish a fight with one. This means I don't know if I should toss the knife on someone in a boss fight until the end, and a non-zero amount of bosses are just immune to theft, a thing I can't discover until after the fight.

I don't know that there's a good solution for this given the way the base game worked, it just makes the little OCD tendencies I have and the desire to powergame with the knowledge presented grate. There are a lot of cool drops that I just couldn't get until now but also unless I want to wipe most of the party and have Cecil go punch things in the face for a while this is a very tedious task.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The steal system sucks in every Final Fantasy. Even ones that have the team thief as the male lead, like 6 and 9.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
srpg gamers i put in about 5 hours into jagged alliance 3 today and i report back that it feels pretty great so far

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Reverie points out that they literally run training programs to make new ones so no!

Oh lol. I thought they had some sort of master plan though, and they’ve kinda still hard gated themselves anyway by having Zemuria have only so many provinces to have new stuff go down in that aren’t populated by level ~150 national heroes. I’d like more Trails forever, but, you know, maybe not in Zemuria.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I don't know that Stealing has ever been good in any game. It's an interesting concept in terms of rewarding characters for investigating and for remembering the results, but the way it's always balanced is "sometimes it fails!" It's one thing when you're trying to land a status effect or something, because if those don't work then your other characters are still progressing the fight. If Stealing doesn't work, you're usually just sitting there and hammering the button until it's allowed to work.

The closest I'd come to "interesting stealing" is probably FFTA because of the disproportionate value of getting a new weapon early (new abilities, sometimes even for multiple classes!) and the fact that Steal Ability was a thing (and because they gave some enemies some surprisingly valuable Abilities to Steal). Even then, though, Steal Weapon and Steal Ability were gated so late that you'd only actually get to do that if you were willing to grind for five hours at the start of the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Einander posted:

I don't know that Stealing has ever been good in any game. It's an interesting concept in terms of rewarding characters for investigating and for remembering the results, but the way it's always balanced is "sometimes it fails!" It's one thing when you're trying to land a status effect or something, because if those don't work then your other characters are still progressing the fight. If Stealing doesn't work, you're usually just sitting there and hammering the button until it's allowed to work.

The closest I'd come to "interesting stealing" is probably FFTA because of the disproportionate value of getting a new weapon early (new abilities, sometimes even for multiple classes!) and the fact that Steal Ability was a thing (and because they gave some enemies some surprisingly valuable Abilities to Steal). Even then, though, Steal Weapon and Steal Ability were gated so late that you'd only actually get to do that if you were willing to grind for five hours at the start of the game.

puppy paw stick

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Stealing is pretty good in most of the Disgaea/NIS games, enemies usually play by the same rules as you so if you do dives into Item World you can steal their equipped stuff that’s just straight up better than your current loadout, that sometimes can’t really be bought easily like accessory-type equips that indirectly boost stats. Or hell, even just in normal levels if you don’t wanna spend the money on new equips, you just spend like 10 gold on the stealing item. Best of all, steal rates are 100% transparent!

Also good for stealing: Fire Emblem. It’s never essential since, you know, permadeath, but giving enemies items you can steal that wouldn’t normally means it’s a neat side objective to push for when the mechanic exists and thieves aren’t just the lock pick guys.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ff9 style thievery is fine if you treat it like a little bonus and don't go full gamer brain and reset every beatrix fight until you get a helmet you'll find half an hour later

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Junpei posted:

what was your first JRPG crush?

in the interest of fairness, for me it was Rise from P4.

Pike Queen Lucy from Pokemon. cool edgy lady etc etc not important

what matters is that I just did a quick google search on her and turns out she was added to Pokemon Masters with the skill:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the best use of steal was using it on Johnny Knives in Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass and making him into Johnny No-Knives that then laments his loss.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phantasium posted:

the best use of steal was using it on Johnny Knives in Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass and making him into Johnny No-Knives that then laments his loss.

lmao

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Junpei posted:

what was your first JRPG crush?

in the interest of fairness, for me it was Rise from P4.

Deneb from March of the Black Queen and I'm not sorry about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jimmy has the best stealing system in rpg's. most monsters have multiple components to steal that can either give you items or hinder them in combat, every component has the steal percentage displayed right next to it, nearly all of them are reasonable and there's a bunch of ways to boost your success rate

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Prowler posted:

What specifically are you having issues understanding? Most everything has a tooltip that explains what it does and how it is triggered.

I started the game about a week before the Steam Sale, and I have been playing it increasingly frequently as I unlock more stuff and am starting to see how ridiculous things can get with masteries and bonds. I still only have four members and am in the mid 20s as far as levels go. Even then, I see a lot of potential.

In my current battle, Irene whiffed her attack, but it triggered Sion's pincer attack, and used his electricity ability that can hit up three enemies that are close together from cover 3 tiles away, scoring a triple kill. And that's just a normal interaction. I have Albus decked out as a Great Swordsman with reaction/counterattack and a focus on boosting damage/SP/vigor/etc on attacking bleeding enemies. Currently, if he doesn't kill an enemy in one hit, he has a chance to attack again with his reactive attack. If he kills a bleeding enemy on his turn, it's his turn again; if not, he still gets 30 time reduction and is likely close to being next.

Otherwise, I have been just adding masteries to my folks that make sense/seem to be strong, and if a mastery set is close to being completed, I will look up what it requires, as needed.

Found what I needed, but I was mostly bewildered by the mastery screen coming back.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Looper posted:

ff9 style thievery is fine if you treat it like a little bonus and don't go full gamer brain and reset every beatrix fight until you get a helmet you'll find half an hour later

That's part of my problem with it in 9. It's Zidane's main gimmick and it's never really worth bothering with unless you're filling out a checklist or something. Eventually he gets other interesting skills, but for most of the first disc he's easily the most boring character in combat.

Phantasium posted:

lol, this owns however

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

claw game handjob posted:

More FFIV Ultima thoughts: I enjoy the Bestiary and the little jokes in there, but it makes me very aware of the fact that this game's steal system sucks. They try to supplement the fact that one of the last people in the game is the one to have this command by just force-dropping a knife on you which uses Mug on attacks, but there's two problems here:
1. I have two people who can use knives right now, Palom (should not be attacking, is a mage and a child) and Cecil (why in the gently caress would I ever give him a pocketknife when he's my strongest physical damage dealer)
2. A downside to the way the Bestiary works is I can't see if a target is steal-immune or has anything worth grabbing until after I finish a fight with one. This means I don't know if I should toss the knife on someone in a boss fight until the end, and a non-zero amount of bosses are just immune to theft, a thing I can't discover until after the fight.

I don't know that there's a good solution for this given the way the base game worked, it just makes the little OCD tendencies I have and the desire to powergame with the knowledge presented grate. There are a lot of cool drops that I just couldn't get until now but also unless I want to wipe most of the party and have Cecil go punch things in the face for a while this is a very tedious task.

I love all the work put into Ultima but can't stand how lopsided the game's difficulty is. everything is basically at vanilla power level but your characters are all souped up

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I was just presuming that was the case prior to the Paladin upgrade because I chocoboed my way to the island with all the silver gear, especially since Cecil hits for so, so much less now.

But also even with like, 1/5th my damage output I think I've only wiped when loving around in areas I obviously wasn't supposed to be in.

Also most of why I want the steal to be more consistent or usable is this hack severely limits new gear, and the vast majority of things would at least allow me to equip people with something other than "Mage Hat, Wizard Robe, Silver Ring". I think I can definitely get behind "tactics games have the best steal functionality" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
going through xenoblade's battle dialogue and heart to heart transcripts, i never realized how dirty the game does reyn. please stop bullying my tank