Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Fantastic, just what we need, another Screecher :rolleyes:

1 Hamster makes 3, 3 Hamsters make 9, soon enough we are jettisoning habitat segments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Ganymede and Europa are bathed in radiation from Jupiter. Good luck if you want to hang out there.

Callisto is chill and radiation free.

I'm going to spend the next eight years sighing loudly, rolling my eyes, and being endlessly pettily passive aggressive because the idiot nerds at the space league voted down my clearly superior idea of going to Europa. As the Chief Biome Officer I'm going to also make sure Cap'n Redshirt's sleeping quarters are directly adjacent to the deep sea sulfur vents we're transporting for some other idiot nerd's science experiment.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

kazr posted:

I snuck a lil hamster on :)

I accidentally slipped and fell and accidentally I didn't have my pants on because I was just out of the shower and I chafe pretty bad in the space pants so I was putting on some Vaseline and anyways I fell on the little guy and now he's "up there" and I'm pretty sure he's alive.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

I accidentally slipped and fell and accidentally I didn't have my pants on because I was just out of the shower and I chafe pretty bad in the space pants so I was putting on some Vaseline and anyways I fell on the little guy and now he's "up there" and I'm pretty sure he's alive.

Space Hippa Laws ain't so tight

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Neither am I lucky for the hamster

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

30 people, one giant spinning ring, real lives.

MTV's The Real World

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

and boy my arms are tired!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Poohs Packin posted:

prep the airlock

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

So , uh ,what's the ship's name? I heard we were Ark 2

Did anyone pack condoms?

Do we have any proof we actually left Earth orbit and aren't just an experiment to see how long it takes until we don't need eyes to see?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xlorp posted:

So , uh ,what's the ship's name? I heard we were Ark 2

Did anyone pack condoms?

Do we have any proof we actually left Earth orbit and aren't just an experiment to see how long it takes until we don't need eyes to see?

Callisto 1 (and then 2, 3, 4)

Or, as the crew has been calling her, Callisto Jane.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Xlorp posted:

Did anyone pack condoms?

Good news! Mission Control sterilized all of us pre-flight. Anyway would you like to see my wallscrolls?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Good news! Mission Control sterilized all of us pre-flight. Anyway would you like to see my wallscrolls?

Hey, you "read" and signed the contract.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

So we're all on the same page, the ship is a central spinning core, with a giant spinning ring attached to it. That's where all the action is, in the giant spinning ring. Private bedrooms, sauna, greenhouses, cafe, gym, handball arena, movie theater, etc.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Mister Speaker posted:

Just boot up the Neil Peart AI for that.

Only if it takes this physical form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn4IprJww8w

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

HELLO?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Let us in. Let us in. We're so cold.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hello??? We all have the same hard drive cycles, the same engine cycles, the same light cycles....

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

redshirt posted:

There is no holodeck. There is a small movie theater, and a lounge area that can show movies.

A small movie theater on a spaceship.

Operation mystery science theater 3000 is a go. We'll spend eight years making fun of bad movies

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Meatball posted:

A small movie theater on a spaceship.

Operation mystery science theater 3000 is a go. We'll spend eight years making fun of bad movies
i wish someone told me they didnt have a VHS player before i hauled my entire VHS collection out of the earth's gravity well and filled my quarters to the roof with rare VHS tapes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

i wish someone told me they didnt have a VHS player before i hauled my entire VHS collection out of the earth's gravity well and filled my quarters to the roof with rare VHS tapes

Only dvd/blu-ray in the theater, but I bet the boys in the Lab can help you out.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
[Briefly wonders if I should go see one of the two ship's counselors because I based my whole personality on my childhood favorite character from the late 20th century science fiction television show Star Trek: Voyager -- Neelix.]

Nah.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

[Briefly wonders if I should go see one of the two ship's counselors because I based my whole personality on my favorite character from the late 20th century science fiction television show Star Trek: Voyager -- Neelix.]

Nah.

Surely you would have already been screened out for such things.....

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

You didn't screen out the hole-gaping ghost though!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

You didn't screen out the hole-gaping ghost though!

Well no process is perfect am I right?

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
Is one of the chefs also the "chief moral officer"? And do they have a weird female friend who will abruptly leave the voyage and spend the rest of their life as a derelict struggling with mental health issues?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lobus posted:

Is one of the chefs also the "chief moral officer"? And do they have a weird female friend who will abruptly leave the voyage and spend the rest of their life as a derelict struggling with mental health issues?

well, once underway there is no way to actually leave the mission, so, maybe metaphorically?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Here's a closeup from Cassini of one of the hottest moons in the solar system, Enceladus:

Even from Callisto orbit, getting to Enceladus will be a long mission. However, you'll be fully stocked with water and air!

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Perhaps we shouldn’t go to the moon where one half of it melted and we don’t know why.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fornax Disaster posted:

Perhaps we shouldn’t go to the moon where one half of it melted and we don’t know why.

No such issues with Callisto, check your sources.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

Fornax Disaster posted:

Why, it's not like the other half is going to melt.

:classiclol:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of the reasons we are going to Callisto is it has everything we need on the surface. Endless ice to melt into water or breakup into oxygen, and endless high quality mining source due to ancient asteroid.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Who packed the travel scrabble?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

redshirt posted:

One of the reasons we are going to Callisto is it has everything we need on the surface. Endless ice to melt into water or breakup into oxygen, and endless high quality mining source due to ancient asteroid.

It doesn't have everything the body needs.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

It doesn't have everything the body needs.

Indeed. I value your service as Morale Officer.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

redshirt posted:

No such issues with Callisto, check your sources.

Sorry, sounded like a secondary landing was being suggested for Enceladus. That place looks like it has had a major geographical accident!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Fornax Disaster posted:

Sorry, sounded like a secondary landing was being suggested for Enceladus. That place looks like it has had a major geographical accident!

No sir. Enceladus might be a one day destination, but certainly not from the start.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

head shoulders knees and callisto

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kazr posted:

head shoulders knees and callisto

It's the 4th moon out of the 4 Galilean Moons.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Well no poo poo man did you really not know? You, me, kowalski, jacobs… like half of engineering. Hell even the old man. You thought it was just you? Ha! They found a way to conveniently sweep all our asses under the proverbial rug. We get a paycheck we can’t spend and they get a guaranteed eight years where we can’t get near children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MonkeyHate posted:

Well no poo poo man did you really not know? You, me, kowalski, jacobs… like half of engineering. Hell even the old man. You thought it was just you? Ha! They found a way to conveniently sweep all our asses under the proverbial rug. We get a paycheck we can’t spend and they get a guaranteed eight years where we can’t get near children.

That's all true, but, you realize tomorrow is another story.