Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

What book is this from, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

InappropriateJazz posted:

What book is this from, please?
It's this, The Art Of Star Trek, 1997. It's great!

Lots of cool concept art

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

What exactly would happen if Julian just said no to Section 31 lmao. They cant do poo poo officially, and unofficially idk if they would even bother the risk of exposure that comes with attacking a Starfleet officer

Julian was already highly compromised. They could have made him do anything.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Why did I hear that in Garak's voice?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Every family needs a T'Pring's father in it. I just wish there were fewer T'Pring's mothers harshing the vibe.

Also, never imagined customer service polite indifference to work so well a barrier to alien communication.

Oh yes please.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

I'm gonna cut out side panels in some tops to give the tabard look a go

Starfleet definitely needs more sass in its ranks

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Starfleet definitely needs more rear end in its ranks

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Borg blast 90s German techno like Scooter in their cubes all the time because it increases efficiency.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Exciting to see the time honored trek tradition of Spock wearing beanies come back

I was gonna ask when Spock's helmet was gonna be canon, but unsurprisingly Lower Decks already did it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I'm watching Season 2 of TNG for the first time and it's like, okay, this is starting to get better

And then I hit the episode with the Planet of the Irish Stereotypes and uggggggggh

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

So I'm watching Season 2 of TNG for the first time and it's like, okay, this is starting to get better

And then I hit the episode with the Planet of the Irish Stereotypes and uggggggggh

Its not an excuse but at that time the TNG writing team had a revolving door due to certain person going senile and his scummy lawyer messing about, they were forced to sometimes pick the next episode solely based on "what screenplay is in any condition to be filmed by next week".

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

thank you @soytrek but you are sadly mistaken here. Neelix is indica, Tuvok is sativa

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

Its not an excuse but at that time the TNG writing team had a revolving door due to certain person going senile and his scummy lawyer messing about, they were forced to sometimes pick the next episode solely based on "what screenplay is in any condition to be filmed by next week".

I was just looking up the episode on Memory Alpha, and apparently the whole Irish thing was Maurice Hurley's idea:

quote:

Melinda Snodgrass remarked, "It was intended to be a commentary about immigration, because I hate the current American policy. I wanted it to be something that says sometimes those outsiders you think are so smelly and wrong-colored, can bring enormous benefits to your society because they bring life and energy. That's what I was going for. Now my boss, at the time, was Maury Hurley, who is a major Irishman and leads the Saint Patrick's Day parade. When I was describing to him what I wanted to do, I was trying to come up with an analogy, and I said it was like a little village of Irish tinkerers, and he loved it so much he made me make them Irish tinkerers. I said okay, and that's how it came about."

Snodgrass admitted that rewrites and budget restrictions resulted in the intended commentary being lost.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cthulu Carl posted:

Starfleet definitely needs more sass in its ranks

Don't worry, between the Klingons being bitchy and the Vulcans being passive aggressive there'll be more than enough sass for hundreds of years to come!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Oh God yes I want this it's great

naem
May 29, 2011

I would also like a space hooker please

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The schematic of the Dreadnought in the background makes me laugh uncontrollably for some reason

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Tighclops posted:

The schematic of the Dreadnought in the background makes me laugh uncontrollably for some reason

I think it implies that one of their dreadnoughts is named "Space Hooker"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I am certain that most of us being goons talking Star Trek are at least Dreadnought class space hookers if it comes to that.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have a "head cannon" backstory that the real reason the Vulcans became so interested in humanity was to eventually use them as their warriors in matters dealing with the Klingons and especially Romulans.

Don't want to get their hands dirty, so they outsourced it.

naem
May 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

I have a "head cannon" backstory that the real reason the Vulcans became so interested in humanity was to eventually use them as their warriors in matters dealing with the Klingons and especially Romulans.

hard agree and there are some really good episode ideas to explore there imo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

hard agree and there are some really good episode ideas to explore there imo

Give me an episode or 2 as examples.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

redshirt posted:

Isn't that pretty much implied by ENT? The Vulcans are really worried that these idiots did in a century what they did in a millennium and they were sandbagging our attempts to get Warp 5 engine and go outside without their consent.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Isn't that pretty much implied by ENT? The Vulcans are really worried that these idiots did in a century what they did in a millennium and they were sandbagging our attempts to get Warp 5 engine and go outside without their consent.

It wasn't really all that clear if it was actual sandbagging or just vulcans being careful and Archer having a chip on his shoulder. You could easily argue either way.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

I felt that was more like an over-protective parent response, not a "lets gear these humans up so they can fight the Romulans for us".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Der Kyhe posted:

Nah, they weren't interfering, they just weren't helping enough. Archer's dad was working on a faster engine, the Vulcans could have helped but didn't, so his dad died before ever seeing his new engine completed.

This is totally in line with the Federation's later policy of not handing over advanced technology. Janeway did that poo poo all day long -- she could have easily solved the helpless Ocompan's impending doom by sending them a few food replicators. The Kazon in that sector were short of water, loving water, and she wouldn't help because it would upset the balance of power.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

I vaguely recall a line or two from the space Irish episode speaking to a deeper plot but the surface was so absurd and the caricatures didn’t help. Mainly remember the hot lass and Riker being Riker.

It would have blended right in the first half dozen or so episodes from S1 but definitely stood out in S2

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The other thing I was thinking about when watching ENT during the COVID-19 lockdowns was that why wasn't there more Warp 3/4 ships for United Earth Fleet capable of putting up resistance?

We see two of them, surely the United Earth is cranking these ships out as fast as they can, we have several trade ships and colony ships have been built, but why aren't there ships for security? I mean Klingons are a thing, Nausicaan pirates are a thing, where is the "home fleet", or anything resembling it? Just those few ships?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

DaveWoo posted:

Voyager had a few episodes of quaint Irish village poo poo. I'm from Northern Ireland but even at that they are fuuuuucking abominable.

Season 2 also suffered from the 1988 writers strike, so I believe some scripts from Star Trek Phase 2 were reworked slightly.

Tell us what you think of Where Silence Has Lease!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

The other thing I was thinking about when watching ENT during the COVID-19 lockdowns was that why wasn't there more Warp 3/4 ships for United Earth Fleet capable of putting up resistance?

We see two of them, surely the United Earth is cranking these ships out as fast as they can, we have several trade ships and colony ships have been built, but why aren't there ships for security? I mean Klingons are a thing, Nausicaan pirates are a thing, where is the "home fleet", or anything resembling it? Just those few ships?

The first episode is them first even learning about Klingons. And like, they knew they were needing more ships, but you can also get more coverage by having faster ships. Warp speed isn't linear.

Warp 3 is only about 27c, which means it takes 2 months just to get to Alpha Centauri, our nearest stellar neighbor. The boomers are going like warp 2, which is significantly slower sure, but that means a warp 3 naval ship has to have cruise durations of years as well, since they'll have to go back and forth. And they can't really respond to anything. Focusing on Warp 5 means125c speeds, so it's like 5 times faster.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Season 2 also suffered from the 1988 writers strike, so I believe some scripts from Star Trek Phase 2 were reworked slightly.

Star Trek: The Next Generation has precisely two scripts that were recycled from Phase II: The Child (season 2) and Devil's Due (season 4).

The writers' strike affected how many episodes they were able to produce in season 2. Nothing more. This is a strange Internet urban legend (much like Shades of Gray being a clip show due to the WGA strike, even though it was written and filmed 8 months after the WGA strike ended; it's a clip show because they ran out of money and the season was badly over-budget) and I have no idea where it comes from.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The first episode is them first even learning about Klingons. And like, they knew they were needing more ships, but you can also get more coverage by having faster ships. Warp speed isn't linear.

Warp 3 is only about 27c, which means it takes 2 months just to get to Alpha Centauri, our nearest stellar neighbor. The boomers are going like warp 2, which is significantly slower sure, but that means a warp 3 naval ship has to have cruise durations of years as well, since they'll have to go back and forth. And they can't really respond to anything. Focusing on Warp 5 means125c speeds, so it's like 5 times faster.

It's pretty amazing that even with fictional warp technology, Trek takes place in a pretty small little corner of the galaxy. Except for Voyager of course.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Its because that's the way the founders want it, my child

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Its because that's the way the founders want it, my child

Go back to the Gamma Quadrant shapeshifter!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Voyager had a few episodes of quaint Irish village poo poo. I'm from Northern Ireland but even at that they are fuuuuucking abominable.

Tell us what you think of Where Silence Has Lease!

can't loving believe that big faced rear end in a top hat's name is mulligan backwards

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dabir posted:

can't loving believe that big faced rear end in a top hat's name is mulligan backwards

:aaaaa:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Remember when Captain Jellico showed up and got the Enterprise promptly in order?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Remember when Captain Jellico showed up and got the Enterprise promptly in order?

No. I remember him showing up and loving everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

CainFortea posted:

No. I remember him showing up and loving everything up.

He was a normal captain thrust into a crew of relaxed chums but he did his job well and saved Captain Picard from Cardassian CBT therapy