Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Another victim has come forward about Dan Wootton

https://twitter.com/KevSutherlandx/status/1679981718260838400

GBNews is still advertising his return for Monday

e: LMAO - I guess the nazi received a legal letter

https://twitter.com/AndyPlumb4/status/1680120282550239232

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I had the misfortune to be up at 4am for an early train last week and was pleasantly surprised to get a cheap return ticket that I guess sells before 5am.

The early trains were cancelled due to lack of staff and I could have just not bothered getting up.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Can someone please point me to those dangerous dog stats? I cannot find them for some reason but they’ve got to be in the last 2-3 pages. I’m writing to my oval office of an MP so he can do gently caress all about it!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless I have completely missed a post I don't recall anything about dangerous dog stats in this thread, are you thinking of a different one?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Talking of Bedfordshire - here’s one of Nadines constituents…

https://twitter.com/john_ritzema/status/1680162115385008128?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Oh drat really? Someone had compiled a load of stats on dangerous dogs and showed that over 50% of dog attacks in the UK are by “bully breeds.” It was an incredibly UKMT post, god knows where I saw it if not here.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sanford posted:

Oh drat really? Someone had compiled a load of stats on dangerous dogs and showed that over 50% of dog attacks in the UK are by “bully breeds.” It was an incredibly UKMT post, god knows where I saw it if not here.

There was a post on r/unitedkingdom like that.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Talking of Bedfordshire - here’s one of Nadines constituents…

https://twitter.com/john_ritzema/status/1680162115385008128

Oh poo poo, Kent is leaking.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i like the Viz letter that questioned the whole “we would be speaking german if we lost the war” with the fact the germans don’t speak english as their national language

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There is definitely a cultural impact of English on modern German, though, you heard them code switch a lot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanford posted:

I thought Jack Russells were responsible for most actual dog attacks resulting in injury but 'scary breeds' were responsible for most of the media reports.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Guavanaut posted:

I thought Jack Russells were responsible for most actual dog attacks resulting in injury but 'scary breeds' were responsible for most of the media reports.

I could see that, my sister's own Jack Russell sent her to hospital after biting her face

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My neighbour had to throw his hand in the way of his own Jack Russell to stop it biting me. I feel bad these days about it being put down but I felt worse back in the day because that same neighbour died of cancer shortly afterwards and I was too young to understand that it wasn't the dog bite that did it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Oh poo poo, Kent is leaking.

Oh are the roadside piss bottles not up to standard?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I adore Jack Russells and have had four of them but they are *not* child-friendly dogs, they're rat terriers who are prone to snap as a disciplinary measure. They're intelligent, hilarious little shitheads, but they *are* shitheads.

e: Millie tax. JRT/Yorkie cross. Basically a happy face with legs.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I only found out last year that a dog that bit me when I was about 8 got put down for it.
It was a terrier, and was kept in a small backyard, with fences too high for it to jump over.
It backed onto a children's playground, so wasn't the best place for a pet like this, as when the back gate was opened, it would dash out and try to seek the nearest target.
I wasn't even in the playground, was in another backyard, it came in and went for my lower legs.
Turned out it had bitten a poo poo load of other kids before, I was the last straw. and the police were called on it.
This was in the 80s, not sure what laws used back then on situations like this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

HopperUK posted:

I adore Jack Russells and have had four of them but they are *not* child-friendly dogs, they're rat terriers who are prone to snap as a disciplinary measure. They're intelligent, hilarious little shitheads, but they *are* shitheads.
Yeah they're biters and diggers and at least on the estate I grew up on were liable to be left to wander unsupervised because some of their owners took the view that "they're only little" and "they don't mean any harm" which is how kids get bitten.

HopperUK posted:

e: Millie tax. JRT/Yorkie cross. Basically a happy face with legs.

:3:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Yay! Finally got electricity on again after 18hrs of bugger all... thank you thunder & lightning. :argh:

Anything exciting happen?

edit: Yorkies are good dogs. :woof:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

bloody hell lol

her living room must look like

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Purchased from

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Guavanaut posted:

Purchased from

Liberals! :argh:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mid Beds is pretty bad to be fair. Imagine a rustic rural version of Luton.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

crispix posted:

lol i've been wondering a bit this week about how this subtype of loyalist marching band (the "kick the pope" variet) all ended up sounding like this and i'm guessing it's a decades-long corruption of something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKvY_AUvr5c&t=214s

corrupted by hatred and a lot of lager, i shouldn't wonder

The variant you're talking about came around in the 70s/80s. Before then many bands tended to be made up of older people and played a more traditional marching band style with songs consisting of hymns and traditional music.

When the IRA started their campaign a lot of younger Protestants wanted to express their anger and joined the bands. This led to a more aggressive and antagonistic style of playing and a switch to more openly sectarian songs.

When I was a teenager our local blood and thunder band was mostly kids I went to school with and a few older band leaders in their 20's. They took a lot of pride in everything being as sharp as possible, from the music to the marching to the uniforms.

If you look at any recent footage of these types of bands it's nearly all middle-aged men marching badly in their Primark black trousers. Young people just aren't joining anymore and the whole thing just looks pathetic.

Lambeg drums have always been their own thing and play a very different style of music. They're pretty cool as each one is handcrafted using techniques passed down through families for centuries. They're not seen in parades as much these days and are limited to drumming competitions. And video does no justice to just how incredibly loud and overpowering they are.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The variant you're talking about came around in the 70s/80s. Before then many bands tended to be made up of older people and played a more traditional marching band style with songs consisting of hymns and traditional music.

When the IRA started their campaign a lot of younger Protestants wanted to express their anger and joined the bands. This led to a more aggressive and antagonistic style of playing and a switch to more openly sectarian songs.

When I was a teenager our local blood and thunder band was mostly kids I went to school with and a few older band leaders in their 20's. They took a lot of pride in everything being as sharp as possible, from the music to the marching to the uniforms.

If you look at any recent footage of these types of bands it's nearly all middle-aged men marching badly in their Primark black trousers. Young people just aren't joining anymore and the whole thing just looks pathetic.

Lambeg drums have always been their own thing and play a very different style of music. They're pretty cool as each one is handcrafted using techniques passed down through families for centuries. They're not seen in parades as much these days and are limited to drumming competitions. And video does no justice to just how incredibly loud and overpowering they are.

It’s because they’re all into Marching Powder

https://twitter.com/calmdownplzzz/status/1679805521597964288?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICg2T3cLVEA

I think these are lambeg drums, this is a mates band from Belfast.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

They just can't compete with with AI Mr Krabs singing IRA songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0atvB9mw9Zg

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

bloody hell lol

her living room must look like

Wow the (i assume) hindu person who lives there must be really lucky!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The US flag hiding in the corner is a funny touch.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

The US flag hiding in the corner is a funny touch.

That's the Normandy landings. As the weeks progress more of those flags will turn into US flags

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
inspiring stuff

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*the flags stay swastikas but the red turns to blue* ah.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if only there was some old adage, maybe about spending money to make money?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
pablum.txt

Kier Starmer posted:

On a housing estate in Selby, a young couple with a baby tell me they have seen the dream of buying their family home turn to dust because of the Tory mortgage bombshell.

That encounter sticks with me. Good people, working hard, saving, bettering themselves – then seeing it cruelly snatched away through no fault of their own. The sheer unfairness of it is hard to stomach.

Millions of people in Britain today are already in this boat or about to be stranded on it. They are right to feel angry with a government and a country that is letting them down, that no longer seems to work. Everywhere you look – from the cost of living crisis to the NHS or the asylum system – things are broken.

This is what happens when a government loses control of the economy. Many key indicators – including mortgage rates – show things are worse today than they were in the death days of the Truss government. But the mess we’re in is symptomatic of a broader failure that spans the past 13 years. Only by sweeping away the entire, failed Tory approach can we rebuild our country.

But the hope that comes with the promise of a fresh start and a new way of doing things cannot be a codeword for recklessness. Pointing at problems and promising vast sums of money to fix them has too often been the comfort zone of Labour oppositions – and, inevitably, their final resting place.

If we are to turn things around, then economic stability must come first. That will mean making tough choices, and having iron-clad fiscal rules. The supposed alternative – huge, unfunded spending increases at a time when the Tories have left nothing in the coffers – is a recipe for more of the chaos of recent years and more misery for working people.

It is a mistake to believe that being responsible about spending somehow dampens how bold we can be. On the contrary, demonstrating our prudence allows us to be more radical with our plans to transform the country. The five missions I have launched – on growth, clean energy, an NHS fit for the future, safe streets and shattering the class ceiling – would reimagine Britain, its potential and its possibilities. Taking seriously the foundations of economic responsibility may not set people’s pulses racing, but the new country we can build on top of them will do.

Take, for example, the changes we will deliver to our planning system. They won’t cost a penny but they will ensure we build hundreds of thousands more homes and give families like the one I met in Selby their hope, their optimism and their future back. Our missions to halve violence against women and girls, deliver clean electricity by 2030 and secure the highest sustained growth in the G7, alongside plans for higher skills, a proper industrial strategy and regional innovation will give Britain the electric jolt it needs to shake it out of its Tory-induced torpor. Frankly, the left has to start caring a lot more about growth, about creating wealth, attracting inward investment and kickstarting a spirit of enterprise. It is the only show in town for those who dream of a brighter future.

This is the heart of our approach: getting Britain thinking big again. To do this requires reform first and foremost, rather than just more money. People will, of course, wonder what this means for public services. It is clear they have been left outmoded, outdated and run down. We must make them modern, innovative and focused squarely on the people who use them. But, given the state of the public finances, we will not be left with the money to simply service failure: it is reform or bust.

That is going to mean a serious, properly thought-through rewiring and a big shift in mindset. Away from the sticking plaster politics of recent years and towards a strategic, long-term approach. Not top-down targets that try to bludgeon skilled professionals into inefficient processes, but empowering those on the frontline to deliver real improvements.

It will mean moving from a one-size-fits-all approach to bespoke services that work for people, seizing on the huge opportunities of technological advance. In medicine, we can now understand someone’s health risks by sequencing their DNA. We can create truly personalised care by designing drugs for single patients, based on what we know about their genetics. We will go further, faster by removing the barriers innovators still face in getting their products into the NHS.

It will mean moving away from the highly centralised way services are currently delivered. Crucially, it must mean creating a prevention-first approach. Access to a trained mental health professional in every school, so that our children have the support they need. New mentors for young people who are most vulnerable to crime, supporting them to stay on the right path. I became an evangelist for this when I was director of public prosecutions because I saw time and again how acting early creates better outcomes and avoids huge costs later down the line when things go wrong.

There is no trade-off between reassurance and hope; spending money carefully and bold reform; knowing that we can only build something better if we first put down rock-solid foundations. That combination is not just the route to a Labour government: it is the route to real, meaningful change for millions across our country.

The Tories’ destruction of the economy and our public services has made the job ahead of us even harder and the recovery more difficult – but it has also made us steelier in our resolve to deliver the brighter future that Britain deserves.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 15, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Remember how they used to take the p out of the Jam Meister for mentioning individual cases, yet here they arementioning a 'young couple from Selby'.

And didn't we have a rather wonderful, though short-lived, PM last year at some point who talked about 'wealth creation'. She was some sort of lettuce I believe.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Apraxin posted:

pablum.txt

Oh hey there’s a thing buried in there that looks like an actual good idea (more mental health professionals in schools)

Is this going to be the next u-turn, or are they just going to turn out to be evangelical christian conversion therapists or some poo poo like that

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Soricidus posted:

Oh hey there’s a thing buried in there that looks like an actual good idea (more mental health professionals in schools)

Is this going to be the next u-turn, or are they just going to turn out to be evangelical christian conversion therapists or some poo poo like that
They'll spend ten billion quid on a ChatGPT front-end that gives out mental health advice.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It will mean sending one teacher on a two day course and then lumping any problems or blame on them

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

sinky posted:

They just can't compete with with AI Mr Krabs singing IRA songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0atvB9mw9Zg

Is that where the technology is at? Can we basically get AI to mimic celebrities and get them to say whatever we want?
If so, it's pretty drat scary.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'm pretty sure that's real and Mr Krabbs is an Irish nationalist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Apraxin posted:

inspiring stuff

Lmao we’re doing austerity again