Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I think you're talking about Bruce McGill, who is one of my favorite That Guy actors.

Yep, dude crushes it in EVERYTHING. From Timecop to Black Sheep he can do no wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I watched face off last night and god drat do they shoot a lot of cops in that movie, just fist pump after fist pump watching

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

I watched face off last night and god drat do they shoot a lot of cops in that movie, just fist pump after fist pump watching

That movie is an all time classic, it STARTS with a child getting murdered and then a ridiculous plane/Hummer chase and never slows down from there. I feel privileged to have seen it in the theater when it first came out.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 23, 2023

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Remulak posted:

One thing not mentioned here is Mann’s consistently pushing the technical envelope on night scenes. One of the weaknesses of Miami Vice (IMO) is that it didn’t quite make it; the digital camera he used didn’t have the contrast and did some odd poo poo. I remember the skies bing really blown out and distracting. That was a world I was deep in at the time though, Mann doesn’t do much by accident and if you didn’t know what was going on it may have worked.

Miami Vice and Apocalypto were shot around the same time and were both really early examples of films shot entirely on digital. It's incredible how much better Apocalypto looked than Miami Vice, and how amazing it still looks nearly 20 years into digital cinematography. That Viper camera Mann used just looked like poo poo.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs

this scene is so loving cool. Michael Mann ftw

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Trillhouse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFPcljAXgs

this scene is so loving cool. Michael Mann ftw

Notice how Tom Cruise subtly checks the alley to make sure no one else is coming before he shoots these two in cold blood lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

Miami Vice and Apocalypto were shot around the same time and were both really early examples of films shot entirely on digital. It's incredible how much better Apocalypto looked than Miami Vice, and how amazing it still looks nearly 20 years into digital cinematography. That Viper camera Mann used just looked like poo poo.

I would like to think it was an artistic choice on manns part but the blown out iso looks like poo poo. Public enemies was also badly hurt being filmed digital, everything in that movie looks cheap.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

haljordan posted:

Notice how Tom Cruise subtly checks the alley to make sure no one else is coming before he shoots these two in cold blood lol

he cheats the draw a little bit too. he's barely holding his hands up and his right hand is going for the gun before they know what's happening. :kiss:

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Tumble posted:

It's a fun book but I have no idea why Mann went with an Uber-Waingro for the villain, he wasn't horribly written or anything but there are million other types of bad guys so it didn't seem particularly original to go with "extremely sadistic criminal" again.

Agreed, boy was that guy a huge piece of poo poo.

I have a feeling that something went over my head because it seemed weird to me that Hanna would apparently give up on catching the guy for all these years.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

I feel a little bad for enjoying it because Mel Gibson is a huge piece of trash, but Apocalypto loving rules. Just an incredibly stressful crescendo and then the whole back half of the movie is a chase scene punctuated by incredible moments of vengeance.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Agreed, boy was that guy a huge piece of poo poo.

I have a feeling that something went over my head because it seemed weird to me that Hanna would apparently give up on catching the guy for all these years.

I could be wrong cause but I thought there was conflict with his commanding officer following the house shootout and was implied that led to him quitting and going to robbery homicide in LA

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently I've never seen The Last of the Mohicans so I fixed that yesterday. Very good but not my favorite of Mann's probably just to the genre/subject matter. I did lol at this part though

Bip Roberts posted:

Face/Off loving rules it should be illegal

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
DDL literally learned how to dual wield muskets for that scene

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tumble posted:

It's a fun book but I have no idea why Mann went with an Uber-Waingro for the villain, he wasn't horribly written or anything but there are million other types of bad guys so it didn't seem particularly original to go with "extremely sadistic criminal" again.

Just finished the book and I think it’s worth a read for anyone who enjoyed Heat (the movie). It’s both similar and different enough to be a thrilling ride. It got a lot of lift in my head from applying Al Pacino’s delivery and style to Hana’s dialogue, it’s written perfectly.

As for the bad guy, I guess you have to make him totally awful so that, by comparison, Chris doesn’t seem so bad? I mean the dude becomes a international terrorist or at least a arms dealer supplying terrorists

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Ronin ruined heist movies for me.
That cast. That chase. Those locations.
Heat was good, Val's a machine

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
played some gta online with two friends earlier, did lots of Heat roleplay in my mind

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Val Kilmer stroking off during the nut out in "Skeet"

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently I've never seen The Last of the Mohicans so I fixed that yesterday. Very good but not my favorite of Mann's probably just to the genre/subject matter. I did lol at this part though

Face/Off loving rules it should be illegal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY7DpVKhvrA

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

BigBadSteve posted:

I've occasionally enjoyed some offbeat English & Australian crime films.

Are there any especially good ones you can recommend?

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Snowy posted:

Are there any especially good ones you can recommend?

Heath Ledger in Two Hands is fun and has a really good bank robbery in it.
It's a celebration of Sydney criminal lowlifes

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
watching Heat tonight

it's still good

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

I keep scrolling past it on the flix and telling my lady we're totally watching it sometime soon. I think I got her to watch it for the first time 10 years ago and she doesn't remember much, just that it was good.

Just gotta block 3 hours...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

haljordan posted:

He should play more villains.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I just watched the armored car heist, the dinner conversation, and the bank job. It’s too hard to find three hours

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
not bad but i think my favorite scene is actually the aborted precious metals heist. definitely toss that into your next watch its pretty short

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

not bad but i think my favorite scene is actually the aborted precious metals heist. definitely toss that into your next watch its pretty short

:hai: thats a fantastic scene. Deniro locking eyes with Pacino through the infrared camera, deniro acting like a startled predator when he hears the noise, its :discourse:

Also I'd like to point out that Ronin is free on Youtube right now. Its p. not as good as Heat, but the car chases and WHAT COLOR IS THE BOATHOUSE is awesome

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I love Ronin and it’s basically for the boat house scene.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

:hai: thats a fantastic scene. Deniro locking eyes with Pacino through the infrared camera, deniro acting like a startled predator when he hears the noise, its :discourse:

Also I'd like to point out that Ronin is free on Youtube right now. Its p. not as good as Heat, but the car chases and WHAT COLOR IS THE BOATHOUSE is awesome

I love that brown Mercedes they use during the chase scene

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

redshirt posted:

He should play more villains.

same with dicaprio. he's a lot more fun when he's a piece of poo poo!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ronin is a great movie, its just as good as Heat imo just a different kind of movie. ive been meaning to watch it again actually.

a long time ago for some photoshop contest on these forums I made a Chick Tract about the boathouse scene and i cant find it anymore. DRAW IT AGAIN!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Ronin is a great movie, its just as good as Heat imo just a different kind of movie. ive been meaning to watch it again actually.

a long time ago for some photoshop contest on these forums I made a Chick Tract about the boathouse scene and i cant find it anymore. DRAW IT AGAIN!

I like Ronin because it's like a David Mamet film, the objective is to get the case but they only spend maybe 2 minutes discussing what's actually in the case. So many other movies would make it explicitly clear what's in the case and why each side wants it and blah blah blah who cares when it really adds nothing to the plot.

Also I think of the DRAW IT AGAIN scene whenever I watch Escape from LA lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj5Mp68u2tY&t=60s

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i mean its not just like a david mamet film, he co-wrote it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

i mean its not just like a david mamet film, he co-wrote it.

lol I feel like a total moron for not realizing that. I am forever shamed now.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Willem Defoe was grown in a lab to be the creepiest looking man on the planet.

So Scorsese of course said “that’s my Jesus!!”

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

haljordan posted:

lol I feel like a total moron for not realizing that. I am forever shamed now.

well it definitely has a different feeling than most of his other movies, especially since he didnt direct it. i cant think of any other mamet film with so much good action.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Earwicker posted:

well it definitely has a different feeling than most of his other movies, i cant think of any other mamet film with so much good action

Yeah I'd say Spartan is maybe a close second but that only has 2 or 3 (fairly brief) scenes of intense action.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Willem Defoe was grown in a lab to be the creepiest looking man on the planet.

He apparently also has a viscerally scary penis (because it's big)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dafoe was excellent in "To Live and Die in LA", I always thought that movie was sadly overlooked.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

He apparently also has a viscerally scary penis (because it's big)

i guess that weird little bathroom scene with him and Denzel Washington in Inside Man is a nod to that?

which is also a very good movie btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

haljordan posted:

Dafoe was excellent in "To Live and Die in LA", I always thought that movie was sadly overlooked.

Great movie great soundtrack