Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I checked out the later chapters of Asobi Asobase on ComiKey and I'm half-certain it's machine translated. No idea about other series.

Geez. Well, thanks for the heads up, I was actually thinking of anteing up for that but if the translation sucks why bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
poor translations kill comedy manga stone dead. there's no point at all.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The fight scene in the latest episode of of Link Click season 2 was pretty neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUL12if3lo4&t=47s

i like how this guy who could not be any more of a generic thug went toe to toe with two obviously important characters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like how this guy who could not be any more of a generic thug went toe to toe with two obviously important characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exf7SNi8wKI&t=64s

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

you know i wasn't feeling it at first but that did end up being a pretty great fight

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Agronox posted:

Geez. Well, thanks for the heads up, I was actually thinking of anteing up for that but if the translation sucks why bother.

Sorry to bear more bad news, but Asobi Asobase starts really spinning its wheels after the 100th chapter or so. You could probably wring another good season of an anime adaptation out of it, but the manga I felt got very boring after that point. The author introduces a bunch of new characters and some chapters don't even feature the original three, so instead of wacky antics, it's just weird yuri-baiting and these new characters getting multiple chapter flashbacks while nothing funny happens.

The author recently announced that these new characters are getting their own manga serialization (Asobi ended about half a year ago), so maybe she has blackmail material on one of her editors or something?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For some reason I thought Link Click was a SoL.

ninjewtsu posted:

you know i wasn't feeling it at first but that did end up being a pretty great fight

Last hit should have been aimed at the crotch dude was open.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Agronox posted:

Check out Mangalife. Same source and it's free.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Learn Spanish and read the Spanish scanlations

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

poor translations kill comedy manga stone dead. there's no point at all.

Felt like the dude was fuelled by the concentrated rage of a thousand exploded Fist of the North Star mooks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Sorry to bear more bad news, but Asobi Asobase starts really spinning its wheels after the 100th chapter or so. You could probably wring another good season of an anime adaptation out of it, but the manga I felt got very boring after that point. The author introduces a bunch of new characters and some chapters don't even feature the original three, so instead of wacky antics, it's just weird yuri-baiting and these new characters getting multiple chapter flashbacks while nothing funny happens.

The author recently announced that these new characters are getting their own manga serialization (Asobi ended about half a year ago), so maybe she has blackmail material on one of her editors or something?

They meet their deadlines quickly and don't score abysmally in popularity polls and some amount of momentum is largely my guess.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Liar, Liar is kind of weak, watched thru 3 episodes in a row.
MC just has a good poker face, and wished it was him using his wits to win with underpowered skills and abilities. But he's literally just cheating by having a helper hack the games...so that kind of really takes away from the game battle genre its trying to be.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

GateOfD posted:

MC just has a good poker face, and wished it was him using his wits to win with underpowered skills and abilities. But he's literally just cheating by having a helper hack the games...so that kind of really takes away from the game battle genre its trying to be.

Lame. I hope the opponent wins despite MC cheating

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

GateOfD posted:

Liar, Liar wins "Most hamfisted exposition in a show" award for all of 2023 so far

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh dang I didn't realize the new season had started already, I need to catch up. That show rocks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there's no zom 100 thread yet right

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Be the change you wish to see.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

there's no zom 100 thread yet right

Not yet. Feel free to make one if you feel like it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

more mushrooms

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1680570227900260353

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
gonna see if Hero Classroom ep2 can keep my interest, then onto Z-100

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neat, the first season was very cool. Not too sure what's left too explore in Bisco and Milo's story, though.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Hero Classroom setting seems pretty basic. Former Hero goes to hero school, but to live a normal life.
But the director is doing a good job, there's a constant variety of different interesting cuts.
Thought this was pretty good when the MC didn't notice the tsundere heroine changed her hairstyle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 16, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Hopefully this is far enough out that it isn't butting up against Special Kid Factory, since I'd hope they keep the same team from S1.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Ryza anime dedicating an episode to what was a sidequest in the first game is real big comfy energy.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
can relate to MC in Zom 100, but no internet? yea, that be a killer for me in a zom apoc.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

GateOfD posted:

can relate to MC in Zom 100, but no internet? yea, that be a killer for me in a zom apoc.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Hero Classroom setting seems pretty basic. Former Hero goes to hero school, but to live a normal life.
But the director is doing a good job, there's a constant variety of different interesting cuts.
Thought this was pretty good when the MC didn't notice the tsundere heroine changed her hairstyle

I've read a bit of the manga and it seems like a cute low stakes story, and the direction for the anime seems good with a lot of visual gags.

The Shaft legacy lives on.

Edit: Honestly it feels like this may be some of the most efficient direction I've seen as well. It's loaded with visual gags, but they all seem pretty light in terms of animation or additional drawn frames. You can do a lot with just repeating or sliding cels (or the modern digital equivalent). Whoever the director is, they seem to be doing a good job so far.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 16, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol at the Ryza anime making her doing alchemy a magical girl transformation sequence

KariOhki posted:

Ryza anime dedicating an episode to what was a sidequest in the first game is real big comfy energy.

More like dedicating an episode to Ryza and Klaudia being gay

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Really wanted to like Helck but the first episode didn't really sell me on it. :(

Vending machine is turn your brain off isekai, it's fine. Zom 100 is pretty great.

Still need to check out Dungeon Meshi but other than that this season is looking a little sparse for me.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Dungeon Meshi had an early premiere at AX but won't air until January. For some reason anime sites have hosed the dates because of that, instead of just leaving it as the previously announced January/Winter 2024 start.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Classroom of Heroes feels like Trails of Cold Steel the fanfic which makes it funny it looks better than the actual trails anime

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Reign of the Seven Spellblades is still pretty good. I like a lot of things in the show, they actually manage to capture the feeling of anime-Hogwarts by having the school be weird as poo poo and having cool magic classes. I think it's neat that the MC and the Ojou-sama girl have basically become the Mom and Dad of the group because they're way more experienced. It's a very natural dynamic. Also, the mystery continues on why it's called the Seven Spellblades when there's only 6 main characters.

The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen is also still pretty good. I was wondering where the conflict was going to come from since the MC has "solved" everything simply by not being a complete psycho and it looks like it may be politics? I'm still unsure on this one, I do like how hard they're going on the dramatic elements though. It's unclear whether her brother is her slave or not in this timeline. They brushed past what it was he actually signed this time and the whole thing is still sketchy as gently caress.

Zom 100 and Undead Murder Farce are both excellent.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Been reading up on Spellblades (to be followed very soon by actually reading them) and I'll admit I have a few concerns going forwards. Mainly because it apparently gets involved in multiple fairly heavy topics, and while most of what I've heard says the LN itself deals with the material fairly well, that's always a crapshoot when it comes to adaptations - particularly when exposition and explanations around the material gets cut out. So far it's been pretty decent though, so we'll just have to see how the heavy material's handled.

I will say though that the early jokes about this being fantasy Hogwarts are completely off. This isn't Hogwarts, not really, this is the goddamned Clock Tower wearing said school's skin.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Nephthys posted:

The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen is also still pretty good. I was wondering where the conflict was going to come from since the MC has "solved" everything simply by not being a complete psycho and it looks like it may be politics? I'm still unsure on this one, I do like how hard they're going on the dramatic elements though. It's unclear whether her brother is her slave or not in this timeline. They brushed past what it was he actually signed this time and the whole thing is still sketchy as gently caress.

At first, I was like "why is she feeling so much guilt for something she didn't really do"
Apparently its more clear in the LN in the beginning
its more of a merge, Good Pride is clearly the much dominant personality and in total control, but she still feels impulses from the old Pride to do the evil things and keep on the 'path of fate/ruin'. So she's very much not a psycho, but will get the tingle to follow the evil path at the crossroads of major decisions and ends up getting that heavy guilt feeling from thinking about it

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Nephthys posted:

Sounded like there is a super normal contract that is more along the lines of being a subordinate with extra steps and then there is one that basically makes you a slave incapable of disobeying orders and he was tricked into signing the latter in the original timeline.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even the 'good' version is basically a slightly more polite version of magical slavery.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I liked that Fate strange/fake thing that came out. I know its just the prequel bit for a full tv series but it was pretty and I was cool with most of the characters unlike in Apocrypha.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ccs posted:

I liked that Fate strange/fake thing that came out. I know its just the prequel bit for a full tv series but it was pretty and I was cool with most of the characters unlike in Apocrypha.

Just out of curiosity (and feel free to spoiler this), which are the 'protagonist teams' in the Apocrypha LNs? I know that Narita goes for big ensemble casts, but there's generally a few characters who get particular attention and relevance (for convenience and audience memory's sake, if nothing else).

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
probably Sieg/Rider of Black/Ruler and Saber of Red/Kairi, are the ones that got the most screentime in the anime

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, sorry, I meant Strange Fake. I was wondering what Narita's equivalent to protagonist teams like those (and Kiritsugu/Saber and Waver/Rider in Extra) was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Team Saber and Team Beserker probably. Archer/Lancer also sorta have that vibe but they kinda too 'big' y'know.

Assassin kinda as well. But adding her means i'm saying most of the cast.