Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Shredder posted:

going to tokyo over new years, what other good poo poo you got

Ah, ok!

What's your budget like? It doesn't have to be high at all. Tokyo is pretty affordable atm with how amazingly cheap their currency is right now. You chose a fantastic time to go there and I'm super jealous. I will keep it to a few short recommendations in Tokyo and not go more broadly than that because this isn't the thread for it :)

The JPY is 72/1USD which is like 30% better exchange rate when I was there. So if you can swing some higher end experiences, they will never be this cheap, but that goes for everything so you really can't go wrong.

Do you enjoy restaurants and bars with low amounts of seating? That is definitely a thing in Japan, and it can be a really awesome experience, but those places tend to be more expensive since of course they are not enjoying economies of scale.

If so, you could hit up a small seating Omakase joint like Sushisho Masa which only seats a small handful of people:https://www.tableall.com/restaurant/165. But a place like this is all about savoring every moment of a pretty intimate experience (and giving up the ability to order; you are being taken care of and will be served many, many items and you will have say in literally none of it). But the experience of eating at a place like this is, and being taken care of as an honored customer, is inherently Japanese and therefore an experience you will have trouble replicating elsewhere.

Then you have kind of notorious areas like Golden Gai in Shinjuku which is almost entirely populated by hole in the wall bars. Some do not allow foreigners (this is something you'll have to deal with in Japan in general, or you may not experience it at all, but I assure you it's a thing). But despite the how famous the area is and the interesting reputation, the area is insanely fun.

Honestly some of the best times I've had in Tokyo in particular is just going somewhere, getting more and more drunk by ducking into bars and/or casual grills and eating wherever it looks good. The overall food standards of Tokyo are absurdly high; I've yet to have a bad food experience. On top of that food is cheap and amazing. You really can't go wrong.

I will stop because this is not the thread for it but I'm happy for you and you are going to have an unforgettable experience, plus everything is 30% off due to currency differential, not bad.

Oh and onsens, especially since you're there in winter, loving amazing.

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

sock it to me! posted:

These are the kinds of things we miss out on by shopping at Costco. No one is getting spun up on a Wednesday at 3:00 pm to go buy 48 cans of sliced peaches with dimes.

I might have to get back in the game just to make this a reality. for science :patriot:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so... whens the killing start

180 jpy. will it be by fists or choking

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Thank you for the recommendations fellow parishioners. PBUC

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Alan Smithee posted:

well okay then

God drat, why is my costco such a basic bitch

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
Question about car batteries from Church:

Do you need to make an appointment to get one? Or is that a show up, drop the car off at the automotive desk, grab some food and wander around the store until they're all done.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
if they have one they'll sell you one iirc but they won't install it

based on experience

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Whooping Crabs posted:

I really want to try a bulgogi bake

:same:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they taste like diabetes imo

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

the 'Co was a madhouse today, luckily I only needed to visit the pharmacy

does anyone else live really close to a costco? i'm literally across the street from mine lol

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

pencilhands posted:

the 'Co was a madhouse today, luckily I only needed to visit the pharmacy

does anyone else live really close to a costco? i'm literally across the street from mine lol

I'm a 5 minute drive to mine. Ours is the busiest in the region. The parking lot is a constant madhouse. We also have some of the lowest gas prices in the general area (unless you want to drive 45 min away) so the Costco gas bar is constantly full.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

iroc.dis posted:

Question about car batteries from Church:

Do you need to make an appointment to get one? Or is that a show up, drop the car off at the automotive desk, grab some food and wander around the store until they're all done.

As mentioned you bring them your battery, not your entire car. Buy the new one and trade your old one at the same time, install it yourself.

It's a tire center. They do not install batteries at all.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Fatrick posted:

I'm a 5 minute drive to mine. Ours is the busiest in the region. The parking lot is a constant madhouse. We also have some of the lowest gas prices in the general area (unless you want to drive 45 min away) so the Costco gas bar is constantly full.

Same here, the gas at costco is generally 20-30 cents cheaper than anywhere else nearby

which I think is pretty smart. If I'm gassing up at costco already I may as well pop in to see if I need anything else

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

pencilhands posted:

Yo, we live across from ours… driving would literally take us longer to get there. I feel like Costco Igor be taking over our lives since we now get as much as possible from them lol. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had non-Costco pizza

Pro-tip: they set up stands to give out free bags to incentivize you to turn on auto-renewal. We set it up, got a nice, free cooler bag, went on the website and turned it off… then in a couple of months, they’ll put out a stand again and we get another free bag. Repeat

We love the bags and Costco. Church provides

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
(As long as your battery doesn’t have a socket size you don’t own holding it down) replacing a battery is one of the easiest things you can do on your own.

You can also get them delivered over doordash if you are ever stuck somewhere with a dead one, from personal experience.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The last time I had to change my battery I only had a closed socket that wasn't long enough to reach down the excess thread and grab the nut. Obviously I was on the side of the road and it was incredibly frustrating until I remembered I had a crate of rusty old tools in the trunk from a friend's apartment. So I climbed into the trunk through the back seat and rummaged around and found a lovely hacksaw, cut the threaded rods down and got it off. Sweating and swearing the whole way.

If I hadn't found the hacksaw first I probably would have found the vice grips, adjustable wrench, and full socket set with extensions that were also in the crate...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

namlosh posted:

Yo, we live across from ours… driving would literally take us longer to get there. I feel like Costco Igor be taking over our lives since we now get as much as possible from them lol. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had non-Costco pizza

We had to remove Costco Igor from our polycule for the same reason.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I know Costco is behind the times with it's e-Commerce and technology uptake but seeing this advertisement while getting gas this morning just stood out to me

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe

DamnitGannet posted:

Has anyone tried the smores cookies yet? i almost bought some but i had already spent enough that i wasn't sure if 10 dollars for 24 cookies was a good idea or not.

The chocolate chunks and marshmallows are fine but overall they are too sweet for my taste.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

KakerMix posted:

As mentioned you bring them your battery, not your entire car. Buy the new one and trade your old one at the same time, install it yourself.

It's a tire center. They do not install batteries at all.

I guess I was thinking that since they sell the batteries from the tire center desk, they might install them too. Ah well.

I dared Church on a Saturday afternoon. It was a loving zoo but I just went in the Exit side to the tire center, bought a nice new battery for $120 + $15. Brought it home and swapped out the old battery. I'll take it back to Church tomorrow and get a couple other things when it isn't so busy.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Soul Dentist posted:

The last time I had to change my battery I only had a closed socket that wasn't long enough to reach down the excess thread and grab the nut. Obviously I was on the side of the road and it was incredibly frustrating until I remembered I had a crate of rusty old tools in the trunk from a friend's apartment. So I climbed into the trunk through the back seat and rummaged around and found a lovely hacksaw, cut the threaded rods down and got it off. Sweating and swearing the whole way.

If I hadn't found the hacksaw first I probably would have found the vice grips, adjustable wrench, and full socket set with extensions that were also in the crate...

I had a flat tire two weeks ago and I’m really good about making sure my spare has air in it.
What I didn’t know was that I had my lug nuts replaced in the past because a previous shop stripped the hell out of them and my tire iron was too small to fit the new set.

So yeah, friendly reminder to make a kit of the tools you need for your car and keep a set in it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cyks posted:

(As long as your battery doesn’t have a socket size you don’t own holding it down) replacing a battery is one of the easiest things you can do on your own.

You can also get them delivered over doordash if you are ever stuck somewhere with a dead one, from personal experience.

Or the retention mechanism is completely hidden as well as hard to access. Had to resort to Youtube videos to figure out how to get the battery out of a Kia Soul, and I guess a lot of modern cars are even worse about it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Was about to pull the trigger on a new appliance from lowes. item + install + old one hauled away: ~$1000

Then I wondered, "Does Costco carry this?"

Same model + FREE INSTALL + FREE HAUL AWAY: $700

PBUC

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Wayne Knight posted:

Was about to pull the trigger on a new appliance from lowes. item + install + old one hauled away: ~$1000

Then I wondered, "Does Costco carry this?"

Same model + FREE INSTALL + FREE HAUL AWAY: $700

PBUC

And they probably added a second year to the warranty.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Smores cookies pretty good. Kirkland caramel smores clusters pretty good.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cyks posted:

I had a flat tire two weeks ago and I’m really good about making sure my spare has air in it.
What I didn’t know was that I had my lug nuts replaced in the past because a previous shop stripped the hell out of them and my tire iron was too small to fit the new set.

So yeah, friendly reminder to make a kit of the tools you need for your car and keep a set in it.

Quoting this for my dumbass self!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

namlosh posted:

Pro-tip: they set up stands to give out free bags to incentivize you to turn on auto-renewal. We set it up, got a nice, free cooler bag, went on the website and turned it off… then in a couple of months, they’ll put out a stand again and we get another free bag. Repeat

We love the bags and Costco. Church provides

This is stealing. You’re stealing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

You’re stealing

Steak from a better cook

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That cow was dead already it didn’t care what happened to its flesh.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Im gonna get some of that A-10 Wagyu you all were talking about soon I think I’m ready.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

Im gonna get some of that A-10 Wagyu you all were talking about soon I think I’m ready.

Make sure not to microwave it for more than 10 minutes, it’s not like regular steak

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Slather it in bitchin sauce

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

It’s gonna look like it was bombed by one when you’re done with it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Put together a sort of cheese plate/charcuterie with mostly Costco ingredients for a work get together I’m hosting I hope the CFO is impressed.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:sickos:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gonna start a qcs thread about the mods tolerating such villainy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Put together a sort of cheese plate/charcuterie with mostly Costco ingredients for a work get together I’m hosting I hope the CFO is impressed.

What in the god drat mother gently caress is wrong with you people.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

What in the god drat mother gently caress is wrong with you people.

I know it's passé especially on these forums, but some people like to go the extra mile to impress their higher ups. Sometimes the next promotion comes down to which employee's dish was most impressive. Maybe Goons should be taking Bird with a big dick's example and put a little effort in to their careers.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Johnny Truant posted:

Slather it in bitcoin sauce

drat this really is the future we're living in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Can I get an ingredient list? I feel like the can of beans really pulls the whole thing together tbh