Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Port of Call New Orleans is one of those "favorite movie almost 15 years ago that would make me look terrible if I showed it at a movie night today". God knows how much I watched that poo poo.
I'll forever have his SUP SUP SUP SUP SUP at the bookie in my head. Also TO THE BREAK OF DAAAAWN.

"shoot him again, his soul's still dancing" is one of the most insane scenes of any movie I can think of, in every aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I still love it, it's just one of those things you gotta be careful about screening like say, Killer Joe.

Right ok, gotcha. Also I gotta say I had sort of forgotten the opioid element of the movie but it feels very topical. Like, the movie was already eternally relevant in my mind, in that the cops are all bad and that’s a message that can never be repeated enough, but it was kinda funny to me that the whole thrust of the movie is based on Cage’s character trying to get relief from back pain.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah Port of Call is maybe my second favorite Nick Cage movie after Raising Arizona. honestly a top 5 for Herzog too.

Wait, it's actually good? I wrote it off as cheap sequel bullshit, the kind that has nothing to do with the original (like Kindergarten Cop 2, though not that bad), and never watched it. Am I being pranked?

I'll admit, I didn't know Herzog directed it. That is interesting.

edit: (Watches trailer) Val Kilmer is in this? Alright, it's on the list.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 14, 2023

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, it's actually good? I wrote it off as cheap sequel bullshit, and never watched it. Am I being pranked?

It absolutely loving rules and has one of the wildest Cage performances period. The direction is A+ too.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

kalel posted:

is cats (the original musical) secretly genius????

I don't love it but the original production design was kind of amazing and they did a good job with elaborating on the concept (particularly all the DIY crafting stuff, like the giant train made out of a trash can). The best comparison is probably a ballet like Swan Lake, where it's impressive because they're dancers imitating swans and so on, but if you made a movie of Swan Lake where all the swan characters were CGI swan-people it would be a bizarre nightmare. It's not a successful show because it's an engaging story about cats, but because it's live performance that invites you to buy into the theatrical illusion.

The way Hooper hosed up Cats should be studied. It's fascinating to me.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Port of Call New Orleans is one of those "favorite movie almost 15 years ago that would make me look terrible if I showed it at a movie night today". God knows how much I watched that poo poo.
I'll forever have his SUP SUP SUP SUP SUP at the bookie in my head. Also TO THE BREAK OF DAAAAWN.

port of call new Orleans is awesome, wtf are you smoking

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

flashy_mcflash posted:

"shoot him again, his soul's still dancing" is one of the most insane scenes of any movie I can think of, in every aspect.

I think about it a lot and I always want to quote it but no one would ever get it. :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kalel posted:

port of call new Orleans is awesome, wtf are you smoking

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I still love it, it's just one of those things you gotta be careful about screening like say, Killer Joe.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

It absolutely loving rules and has one of the wildest Cage performances period. The direction is A+ too.

to add to this, it's a wild performance that's good and fits the mood of the film, and not just "wacky monkey cheese nick cage." I feel like nick cage has started to become a bit of a joke, especially since he's been in a lot of schlock the past decade, but this film is one of the reasons why people talk about him in high regard regardless.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

if you're not willing to screen killer joe for your mom and her friends from the local book club, you're a coward

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nic Cage is one of the best actors of all time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, it's actually good? I wrote it off as cheap sequel bullshit, the kind that has nothing to do with the original (like Kindergarten Cop 2, though not that bad), and never watched it. Am I being pranked?

it's doesn't really have anything to do with the original Bad Lieutenant, but it is better than it, by a lot

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

kalel posted:

if you're not willing to screen killer joe for your mom and her friends from the local book club, you're a coward
Oh my parents are a whole nother thing, we watched visitor q and irreversible together when I was like a young teen...also snuck me into the brown bunny in theaters lmao. My boomer dad thinks gaspar noe is one of the world's greatest filmmakers

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

It doesn't have anything to do with the original Bad Lieutenant and Herzog insisted on adding the subtitle to it to make it clear it's not a remake. I'm not even sure why it's called what it is, I guess connecting it to an already existing IP was easier than trying to market it as something completely original.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Bad Lieutenant 2 spoilers, kinda:

I love that Herzog shot one of the funniest ridiculous third-act wrap-ups I've ever seen, where a character literally pops their head into frame to tell the main character everything has wrapped up in a good way.

It's a fantastic film.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 15, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
TIL there was a Kindergarten Cop 2. Not sure what to do with that info, but thanks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

TIL there was a Kindergarten Cop 2. Not sure what to do with that info, but thanks.

Wait until you find out when it's made. 2016, and stars Dolph Lundgren

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm not even sure why it's called what it is, I guess connecting it to an already existing IP was easier than trying to market it as something completely original.

A producer got a hold of the rights to the original and decided he wanted to make a Bad Lieutenant cinematic universe. Like in the press circuit for New Orleans release he was talking up how they could have a Bad Lieutenant film for cities all across the world and then have them all link up in a later film for a crossover event.

No one wanted to do it because they thought it was crazy, because it is loving crazy, but Herzog was like “eh, if you give me the money to do this script with Nic Cage you can put Bad Lieutenant in the title.”

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The MSJ posted:

The new Ninja Turtles not only looks good, I love the conversation here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvWE4EkzVJs

Best part about this movie

https://twitter.com/filmmusicrep/status/1662868939792355328?s=20

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

Nic Cage is one of the best actors of all time.

But is Nic Cage good?

Gonna need Abed to weigh in

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah Port of Call is maybe my second favorite Nick Cage movie after Raising Arizona. honestly a top 5 for Herzog too.

Leaving Las Vegas. But also Face/Off?

Relatedly, why did the fast and the furious become a gigantic franchise but Gone in 60 Seconds was relegated to obscurity? I haven’t seen any of these movies so i don’t have any theories of my own on this.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Killer Joe is a fantastic movie

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Killer Joe is a fantastic movie
:hai:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

kalel posted:

contrast that with, say, jesse eisenberg, who (while not being my favorite actor) tries to play his characters different physically, vocally, and mentally.

If you haven't seen The Double by Richard Ayoade, check it out as it is a perfect example of this. Jesse Eisenberg plays two different characters and just by their body language as they stand next to each other you can tell them apart right away.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Jewmanji posted:

Relatedly, why did the fast and the furious become a gigantic franchise but Gone in 60 Seconds was relegated to obscurity? I haven’t seen any of these movies so i don’t have any theories of my own on this.

My off-the-cuff guesses:

1) The chemistry between Vin and Paul
2) FnF was targeted more at young people. Before turning into Avengers with Cars, the series were basically long form MTV content

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

F&F did well enough to earn sequels but each of the first three movies is different and with different casts, other than Paul Walker being central to the first two. The current form didn't start until 4 and then it didn't actually become gigantic until 5. The Rock no doubt played a part in that by debuting in 5 but that movie is also just a great action + heist movie with a diverse and sexy cast. High-octane Ocean's 11 with some bikini booty-shaking.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

no hate for either of those movies, they are also sick

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

OK I was already in due to the Trent and Atticus score (and it sounds like them at the start of that clip) but if the film itself is more of that then I'm definitely in.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

I'd have more time for tedious action films like this and John Wick if they used squibs instead of that poo poo digital blood effect.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

CaptainN posted:

I'd have more time for tedious action films like this and John Wick if they used squibs instead of that poo poo digital blood effect.

The faker and more ridiculous it is, the more I'm here for it. I don't need realistic blood in my dumb action movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What if instead of squibs or CG each guy just screamed out some variation of "GAH, I'VE BEEN SHOT"

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Squibs often look more ridiculous than CGI. CGI blood is often going for realistic but ends up just looking muddy and bad, while squibs look like a zany fireworks display of red paint

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

whydirt posted:

My off-the-cuff guesses:

1) The chemistry between Vin and Paul

I dunno, they were in the first two together and then didn't appear as co-stars again until the fourth film.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
They should just carry around bottles of heinz brand ketchup instead of guns

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Thanks to Rust & coke fiend Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, every show with the most minimal VFX budget will be using CGI gun wounds/ squids from now on.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Squibs often look just as bad as CG and just aren’t practical for a lot of shots and choreography. Like, properly timing all the squibs you would need for one of John Wick’s longer takes would be an unrealistic challenge and the reset time between takes would drive costs up. Plus it would make some stunts impossible because a lot of the martial arts stunts, especially close quarters flips and falls, wouldn’t work with squibs.

If you watch a long take in an older action scene like Hard Boiled, hardly anyone bleeds. They’ll give squibs to one or two people close to camera, and those people can’t do any other stunts aside from having their squibs go off. And then they also clearly never appear where the guns were pointing.

Using squibs in Wick would come at the cost of a lot of what makes the series great.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The thing that doesn't work for me with John Wick-esque VFX squibs isn't the CGI blood, it's the lack of realistic physics on the CGI gunfire, even if they're adding a practical or CGI slide. It just never looks legit.

Makes me want to watch Robocop and Total Recall again.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Bugblatter posted:

If you watch a long take in an older action scene like Hard Boiled, hardly anyone bleeds. They’ll give squibs to one or two people close to camera, and those people can’t do any other stunts aside from having their squibs go off. And then they also clearly never appear where the guns were pointing.

Yeah but nobody notices or cares because it looks awesome

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think no one notices because the squib-less enemies are kept distant from the camera or only on camera for a second.

At any rate, I would trade John Wick’s really dynamic close-quarters choreography for squibs.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I would trade John Wick's anything for more 80s action cinema vibes. For godsakes at least make action films 100 minutes and under again, this poo poo is exhausting.