Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The Colonel posted:

going to finish ff16 tomorrow morning. dont think it's one of my favorite ff games, i do want something more like 9 or shadowbringers/endwalker in terms of setting and tone for the next one, but it was a fun enough time
same

Honestly felt like my prediction came true with this writer oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was better than heavensward at least. i don't think kazutoyo maehiro is a bad writer he just has pretty consistent weaknesses, 16 still on the whole has better character work and plotting than his work on 14 and a few of its issues feel more down to rewrites or the structure being based entirley around clive just not quite allowing for certain things with other characters, it's just hard for him to compare next to ishikawa lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i do hope the next mainline has more of a party-wide gameplay focus just because of that structure, playing as clive is incredibly fun and the game's systems basically do for summons what stranger of paradise did for the job system. remixing those basic ff ideas into a customizable action rpg moveset where you have full control over what you mash together in your different sets of abilities is an absolute blast and the kind of wacky megaflare/zantetsu bullshit you get up to with bahamut and odin is some of the most fun i've had gameplay-wise with ff. but yeah it, has the expected drawbacks of not really being able to spread equal focus to anyone, and there are characters in 16 who could really, really do with having some of their own time. more critically it limits their ability to have party members engage with sidequests and that's maybe the even bigger blow, with how much extra definition sidequests give clive it could only be beneficial to spread some of that around to everyone else. in the end though it's all just a result of the stuff ff16 is experimenting with to make its basic gameplay ideas work so i can't get mad at it at all, it just shows in aspects of its storytelling.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
in addendum, the ff16 writer's best work is the hidden sound novel in fft where a guy has three minutes to question everyone in a bar about what chocobo they're betting on in the chocobo race but in order to get an old guy's answer he has to rub his shoulder and they spend a full page of text on the sound of him rubbing the old guy's shoulder while the clock is slowly ticking down in real time

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crowetron posted:

The steal system sucks in every Final Fantasy. Even ones that have the team thief as the male lead, like 6 and 9.

It's fine in 10. First attempt is guaranteed. Second time is 50% chance, third time is 25%, and so on. Also you can OHKO robots with it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm giving Troubleshooter a go and trying to parse the Mastery system is like staring into the mouth of madness, I don't think I understand even a quarter of how all the interlocking(???) systems work o_o

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

The Colonel posted:

it was better than heavensward at least. i don't think kazutoyo maehiro is a bad writer he just has pretty consistent weaknesses, 16 still on the whole has better character work and plotting than his work on 14 and a few of its issues feel more down to rewrites or the structure being based entirley around clive just not quite allowing for certain things with other characters, it's just hard for him to compare next to ishikawa lol

I pretty much came away thinking the same.

Hell, there was certain stuff that happens in 16 where I was just like "this is cool, but I feel like all of this was done already, but way better in Endwalker"

(Late-ish game spoilers for 16 and Endwalker): At a certain point the Akashic really just seemed like the "we have Blasphemies at home" equivalent

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Anyone have thoughts on 8-Bit Adventures (2)?

I picked it up around release but haven't tried it yet. I'm kinda between that and Etrian Odyssey 2 on my steam deck after I finish up FFXVI.

malnourish fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 16, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
endwalker was better cause it took more from 90s magical girl anime

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the mascot character of Endwalker is Meteion Emet-Selch

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rayearth did have a big twist concerning its mascot character but i think that was only in the manga version. sadly did not copy the part of the rayearth anime about fighting your own lesbian clone

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
missing the escaflowne/rayearth era of mecha

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've always been sad that there's like six different rayearth games and literally none of them get to part 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maybe some day i'll play that weird escaflowne adventure game and the dunbine srpg about choosing your side, in the war from dunbine. which side will you be on when everyone dies in a magical nuclear explosion?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

malnourish posted:

Anyone have thoughts on 8-Bit Adventures (2)?

I picked it up around release but haven't tried it yet. I'm kinda between that and Etrian Odyssey 2 on my steam deck after I finish up FFXIV.

It's a good time, I finished it and quite liked it myself.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think that if you're making a retro inspired indie game you should try and find a better title than just directly referring to the fact that the game is inspired by old games. those titles never read good to me, no excitement or emotion elicited

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i think that if you're making a retro inspired indie game you should try and find a better title than just directly referring to the fact that the game is inspired by old games. those titles never read good to me, no excitement or emotion elicited

What, you weren’t a fan of hit DS RPG Nostalga?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was kinda weird the english release shortened the title down from "Winds of Nostalgeo" tbh

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
On the flip side "NEStalgia" is one of my favorite game names

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Colonel posted:

I thought about that, too, but we're ultimately talking about a genre were the better regarded titles are named stuff like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest and 8-bit Adventures just isn't all that much worse.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy sound kinda cool, actually, outside the context of them slapping the brand name on everything for 30 years.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

8-bit Adventures is very bland, how about something like Octobits Journeyer

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I thought about that, too, but we're ultimately talking about a genre were the better regarded titles are named stuff like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest and 8-bit Adventures just isn't all that much worse.
8 bit adventures is infinitely worse than those names

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
dragon quest and final fantasy are good names that evoke some thoughts about the games that have them ("theres probably a dragon in this game!" and "i wonder what makes this the final fantasy?") while 8-bit adventures reads like the text thats molded into the plastic of a really bad tiger electronics handheld

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i've always been sad that there's like six different rayearth games and literally none of them get to part 2

Super Robot Wars did!

Also 8-Bit Adventures sounds like shovelware. Is it actually good?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

the one that sticks with me is "secrets of grindea", which made it sound unappealing instantly.

edit: i say "sticks with me" but it legit took a few hours to even remember

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I get heavy "we're gonna fix jrpgs :smug:" said by somebody who hasn't played one in 20 years vibes from that 8 bit adventures game

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Are there dragons in Dragon Quest/Warrior, I legit don't know

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Red Red Blue posted:

I get heavy "we're gonna fix jrpgs :smug:" said by somebody who hasn't played one in 20 years vibes from that 8 bit adventures game

i don't really see that, it looks pretty genuine and certainly doesn't look like it's making GBS threads on people who like the genre like a lot of those sorts of titles do.

mycot posted:

quite a few!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I have played the game. It is sincere and sweet and cool and funny and heartfelt

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

mycot posted:

The end boss of the first game is, in fact, the Dragonlord.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ff16 done. tonally and aesthetically not really my favorite direction in the series, but i just like when the games are more weird and goofy in general like the psx games, so i accepted pretty early on that that part of 16 wouldn't be for me. there were bits of the story that felt like they'd been hit a bit by rewrites and maehiro isn't really my favorite modern se scriptwriter, but i enjoyed the cast overall and liked most of the sidequests, and the bigger and more bombastic boss fights and stuff were a lot of fun, and the combat was cool. think this'll be the kind of ff that builds up its own big fanbase for all the unique things it does, personally i kinda prefer stranger of paradise but i did not regret my time with 16 at all really. 7/10

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
now i just have like 2/3 of the final chapter of tactics to do. and also three sound novels, hidden in tactics. i think i need to take an ff break after that, next time i play one of these i'm gonna shoot for the stars and either play 6 or 13

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Magic Knight Rayearth season 1 OP was a banger in any language

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Phantasium posted:

the one that sticks with me is "secrets of grindea", which made it sound unappealing instantly.

edit: i say "sticks with me" but it legit took a few hours to even remember

Is that game good? It has the worst name ever, but I saw the premise for it years ago and it looked interesting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Many people have been complaining about the cutscene length in the new RPG, "Legend of Unskipponia."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Is that game good? It has the worst name ever, but I saw the premise for it years ago and it looked interesting.

when i looked it up to remember the name, it said it released in 2015 and was still in early access.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Phantasium posted:

when i looked it up to remember the name, it said it released in 2015 and was still in early access.

i tried seeing if there were dev updates on steam for this, and all i learned was it started development in 2011.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

the protagonist of 8 is half dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I got gifted it a billion years ago and played it and it was fun then, but I haven't touched it in like... 10 years.