Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

New Leaf posted:

If we're going to make up arbitrary rules about Conceding in the Proving Grounds, can we also make up a weekend rule to hand losses back and forth to get this loving Phoenix quest done?

I do that with people I know are running the weekend cards. You just have to initiate and do your best to communicate with emotes. I haven't had anyone stiff me yet after I do a few consecutive retreats and they get the idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godogg
Dec 29, 2008
I am all about the T1 Proving Grounds Snap + Fist Bump, Concede on Loss BUT if they don't reciprocate and then only Snap back on T6 or, worse, if they start spamming emojis after their win, I will happily waste their time and hold them hostage for those last two (2) cubes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finally opened my first spotlight Cache. It was the Knull variant, which I don't like as much as the Peach Momokun one I already have. I do not have Jean or LT. Wonderful system

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

godogg posted:

I am all about the T1 Proving Grounds Snap + Fist Bump, Concede on Loss BUT if they don't reciprocate and then only Snap back on T6 or, worse, if they start spamming emojis after their win, I will happily waste their time and hold them hostage for those last two (2) cubes.

Lol I have done this too... Petty but kinda cathartic

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'll play Conquest round 2 if my deck had no chance to go off (bullshit locations, Hela gets Yondu'd, etc)

If it's an emoting sweat deck then I'll fight for every single health point

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Opopanax posted:

Finally opened my first spotlight Cache. It was the Knull variant, which I don't like as much as the Peach Momokun one I already have. I do not have Jean or LT. Wonderful system

Exact same thing happened to me. So don't pop a spotlight cache until you have four in the chamber? Really? Ever since completing pool 3, I've been struggling to find enthusiasm for the game

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Marx Headroom posted:

I'll play Conquest round 2 if my deck had no chance to go off (bullshit locations, Hela gets Yondu'd, etc)

If it's an emoting sweat deck then I'll fight for every single health point

I wish certain locations couldn't come up in something like Proving Grounds. The name means a place to practice, District X shouldn't be an option.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
gently caress Weirdworld in the rear end.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I think I might buy a bill's worth of gold so I can buy BP and use the tokens to buy HE. What a game.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Made an opponent's mental absolutely explode in Conquest by killing their big Red Skull with a Hub'd Shang Chi. Little did they know that I also play Shang in the maindeck for the last two cubes. The emotes were flying after that one.

(You know what to do New Leaf)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Boy what a fun hot location they put out after all this poo poo

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Anyone have any idea what could be causing connectivity issues with this game specifically, only when on WiFi? Oh mobile network is fine, but on WiFi I've started having massive problems with matchmaking breaking, causing unintended retreats and lost matches. No other issues with any other applications, it only affects Snap, only on WiFi, and it happens on mobile and PC.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Quetzadilla posted:

E: unfortunately my understanding is freemium games live or die entirely on whales so if thats what they're targeting (and it works) that's probably what they'll keep doing even if the playerbase shrinks as a result.
I hope this isn't what SD have "learned" because it's incorrect - freemium games live and die on being able to have large stable audiences who will regularly pay a small amount.

Whaling makes your business highly volatile because you become hugely reliant on a small cliquey number of big spenders and if you can't reliably provide them with strong enough differentiators to everyone else they stop spending or leave.

I think the shift we're seeing is because you're entirely right that the playerbase is shrinking. Snap is always going to be kind of niche - it's a rules and interaction heavy card game. For a lot of the interested audience that's going to be fatiguing long term, especially if they have to keep up with weekly changes. Unlearning stuff is way harder than learning it, and it is a burden to remember the most recent version of things, and evaluate how good your board is.

But a shrinking playerbase means less money to pay for their team and costs, and so they react. And you might be right that the easy fertile ground they have is that there are some players with seemingly bottomless pockets, but I think that's poor strategy on their part.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

huh, SD removed the ability to downvote answers in the "Ask the Team" discord. interesting timing

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

emgeejay posted:

huh, SD removed the ability to downvote answers in the "Ask the Team" discord. interesting timing

The discord mods stated they were doing it in reaction to numerous reactions of 🤡 and 🤓, among others, which they stated they regarded as 'toxic reactions'.

I do think there is honestly a legitimate use case for marking a response as 💩 sometimes, though.

EDIT: To be clear, the timeline of events was follows:

• A while back, they swapped out unrestricted emote reactions for [UP] and [DOWN].
• Recently (during the spotlight cache fiasco), they swapped them back to 'any reactions' because they didn't want to be too like reddit.
• Now they've switched to +1 instead, presumably because the community reacted.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 16, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quackles posted:

The discord mods stated they were doing it in reaction to numerous reactions of 🤡 and 🤓, among others, which they stated they regarded as 'toxic reactions'.

SD: We will not put a global mute in the game so you don't have to see any toxic players spamming Kamala, because players should be free to use emotes.
Me: <responds with clownface emoji>
SD: Not like that.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Quackles posted:

I do think there is honestly a legitimate use case for marking a response as 💩 sometimes, though.

EDIT: To be clear, the timeline of events was follows:

• A while back, they swapped out unrestricted emote reactions for [UP] and [DOWN].
• Recently (during the spotlight cache fiasco), they swapped them back to 'any reactions' because they didn't want to be too like reddit.
• Now they've switched to +1 instead, presumably because the community reacted.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So a few days ago, I asked what I should aim toward grabbing when I unlock the shop, unlocked it yesterday. The free card of the month has been pretty crap the times I've looked so far so that's gone unclaimed, I'll probably just grab the first remotely relevant card that is decent for a deck I enjoy playing before the end of July, it's Deadpool right now. I have been enjoying destroy decks so I'm tempted but I'm hoping a Death or a Venom might show up as well, or just some kinda generic other good card if they don't.

Either way, I do have Thanos in my token shop, is he good enough just in general and probably likely to remain so, to justify pinning? Probably be awhile before I save up that much since I have 3200.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Consider saving the free card for later in the month, with the hope of grabbing something which pairs well with whatever else you pull in the meantime. Deadpool is a decent card, but may be challenging to put to good use without Venom.

Thanos has been up and down, and I would say right now he's down. The only time I see him played is in a deck with Death. Save the tokens for now.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

These weekends missions are really good at highlighting cards I don't like using, like phoenix force

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Kooriken posted:

Made an opponent's mental absolutely explode in Conquest by killing their big Red Skull with a Hub'd Shang Chi. Little did they know that I also play Shang in the maindeck for the last two cubes. The emotes were flying after that one.

I dropped Negasonic Teenage Warhead yesterday on T6 with priority in the first round of a Gold conquest game, they dropped their 20 power evolved Hulk.

A minute later after they had clearly thrown their phone into a wall the double timers ended and I got the by to move onto my next game.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm at 97. How do I not gently caress this up?

Kooriken posted:

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

New Leaf posted:

I hit Infinite with my Move deck again, and only change I made this season was to add Wave as a turn 5 tech card to beat all the Bounce decks. Try slotting that in if you’re having trouble.

cinnamon rollout posted:

These weekends missions are really good at highlighting cards I don't like using, like phoenix force

The weekend missions requiring season pass cards and new series 4/5 cards is some scummy FOMO-exploiting poo poo

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 16, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

New Leaf posted:

I havent even gotten past 75 yet but I'd imagine just don't snap at all unless you know for a fact you can win. Retreat and take your 1 point losses when they snap if you have to.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

FireWorksWell posted:

I havent even gotten past 75 yet but I'd imagine just don't snap at all unless you know for a fact you can win. Retreat and take your 1 point losses when they snap if you have to.

It's this, yeah. I'm also at 97 right now and just chilling out until I can play some during the workdays this week when sweatlords and hot locations aren't as much of a factor. I've been really slow-rolling this season since hitting Infinite for the first time last season and just trying to climb a few ranks every day or two.

Normally I wouldn't even care since hitting 90 and getting the sweet hit of gold is the real prize (especially now), but goddamn the Golden Echo card back looks really good.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Nikumatic posted:

It's this, yeah. I'm also at 97 right now and just chilling out until I can play some during the workdays this week when sweatlords and hot locations aren't as much of a factor. I've been really slow-rolling this season since hitting Infinite for the first time last season and just trying to climb a few ranks every day or two.

Normally I wouldn't even care since hitting 90 and getting the sweet hit of gold is the real prize (especially now), but goddamn the Golden Echo card back looks really good.

That card back is the only reason I care. It's actually really cool unlike some of the others. I would have loved the Guardians mixtape too but the basic one is good enough.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently the Snap Discord already walked back the whole 'removing negative reactions to team answers' thing

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Just hit my first infinite (:toot:) using High Evo. What are people thinking about swapping Wasp out post-nerf? Still real efficient but it's just not doing it for me anymore -- playing around with Nebula or Shocker and doing alright.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You kind of have to have Wasp for the Lockjaw version of a HE deck. If you aren't running that version then sure.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Someone playing a Sandman Galactus Knull deck and not snapping in the Proving Grounds should literally be tried at the loving Hague

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
The best feeling: got stomped a few rounds in proving grounds to a person who kept spamming emotes but managed to claw my way back to defeat them. The emotes suddenly vanished on turn 5 of the last round :hehe:

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
you played multiple rounds in proving grounds. they were probably emoting because you were wasting their time, you clown

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
clearly if they're that precious about their time being 'wasted' they should have just conceded once they knew their opponent wasn't conceding

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Had a nice interaction in Proving Grounds last night successfully using emotes to get some quick wins for the weekend Phoenix Force mission. Recognized my opponent was playing a similar Phoenix Force deck and we had already emoted Spiderman a few times as we played the same card, so i started doing "I'm losing" and the fist bump emote as I retreated game after game until I was down to my last bit of health. Opponent understood the assignment, and on that next game did the same until we were both on our last health bars and final game, which we played out normally. One final fist bump and thumbs up text for helping each other knock that mission out.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

Slowpoke! posted:

I hit Infinite with my Move deck again, and only change I made this season was to add Wave as a turn 5 tech card to beat all the Bounce decks. Try slotting that in if you’re having trouble.

The weekend missions requiring season pass cards and new series 4/5 cards is some scummy FOMO-exploiting poo poo

You're right about that, it's super scummy

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Darke GBF posted:

you played multiple rounds in proving grounds. they were probably emoting because you were wasting their time, you clown

The emotes came first :colbert: Otherwise I'd have conceded

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I sometimes don't snap back but I often will concede if I lose to a snapper that doesn't emote spam in proving grounds

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
15 wins with Phoenix is just painful. Probably doesn't help that I'm playing a meme deck but I really don't want to play the real Phoenix deck so gently caress it.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Just got Lockjaw. Woohoo! BUT: is it bugged right now?

Just had a couple of games where I played a card in a Jaw lane, OR of played card happened, animation for Jaw happened, then… nothing. The next turn, space is taken up by the post-Jaw replaced card but nothing is there. Literally nothing. It’s like the replacement simply did not happen at all, not a visual bug where I just can’t see it.

Lost both of those games because of it. Luckily it was conquest mode but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Devo posted:

15 wins with Phoenix is just painful. Probably doesn't help that I'm playing a meme deck but I really don't want to play the real Phoenix deck so gently caress it.

I cleared mine Saturday morning with 2 retreat trade sessions and a handful of normal games, to get the gold and not have to play Phoenix anymore