Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Zelda is a sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I’m a big fan of this one metroidvania, called “Animal Crossing: New Horizons”. It’s got a couple cool mobility options to unlock, like a pole for vaulting across rivers or a ladder for climbing cliffs, but there’s also a surprisingly fleshed out town-building aspect that I think adds a fun diversion from the more traditional Metroidvania gameplay.

My only complaint is that the boss battles are a little weak compared to some games in the genre.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Doom is a great classic metroidvania.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Manager Hoyden posted:

Doom is a great classic metroidvania.

What’s your favorite traversal ability? I always feel like the game really opens up when you get blue keycard

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Soricidus posted:

What’s your favorite traversal ability?
The shift key. (DOOM is a Metroidbrainia.)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Sleeping Dogs may not be a metroidvania but it is real good.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Man, I just keep bouncing off of Hollow Knight, I got pretty close to the end this time, and will probably keep going, but like I just feel like it has so many problems based on how it wants to present itself as. It feels like it wants to be dark souls like, but the combat is too spammy for that. Like the invincible dash is so far into the game, and would solve so many problems with the early game combat which feels overly punishing. Also the nail is way to short.

I think I keep wanting to press on cause the game looks good, everything about it is great to me, except the game play.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Did you find either of the two stackable charms that make the nail longer

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Anora posted:

Man, I just keep bouncing off of Hollow Knight, I got pretty close to the end this time, and will probably keep going, but like I just feel like it has so many problems based on how it wants to present itself as. It feels like it wants to be dark souls like, but the combat is too spammy for that. Like the invincible dash is so far into the game, and would solve so many problems with the early game combat which feels overly punishing. Also the nail is way to short.

I think I keep wanting to press on cause the game looks good, everything about it is great to me, except the game play.

It is genuinely a mediocre game. The problems are very apparent when you reach the garden areas and it can’t decide if it wants to be a weighty dark souls game or a precision platformer. It has some of the worst play feel since the euro jank platform days of the snes. If you strip away the absolute wonderful art, you get gameplay that is basically Ocean quality.

I won’t be so contrarian to call in a bottom tier metroidvania, but it is easily the most overhyped game that gets by purely on the amazing art.

From someone who beat it and put way too many hours into to see what the gently caress people saw in this game: it’s not worth it. Skip it.

Maybe the sequel will be better when it comes out.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 15, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

skill issue

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Anora, I've posted this in another thread but this is what I would recommend instead of wasting your time on a sub-par game like Hollow Knight:

For Top tier (after Castlevania games on the PSX, GBA, DS and Metroid games)

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Haiku, the Robot
Blasphemous
Yoku's Island Express
Ori and the Blind Forest
Toki Tori 2+
F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch

Mid tier but would still easily recommend over Hollow Knight
Ghost Song
Minit
Timespinner
A Robot Named Fight!
Ghost 1.0
Axiom Verge
Axiom Verge 2
Super Panda Adventures

For nice bite sized metroidvanias:
Touhou Luna Nights
Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-
The Witch & The 66 Mushrooms
Gato Roboto
Xeodrifter
1000 Amps
(new)Psycron

Not quite Metroidvania but has the same spirit, and would still recommend over Hollow Knight:
CARRION
Hyper Light Drifter
Tunic

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess if art, music, and the feelings that they evoke do not count as part of the game, that's a point that you can try to make. But it still seems totally wrong.

Anora posted:

Like the invincible dash is so far into the game

The second area?

unattended spaghetti posted:

Sleeping Dogs may not be a metroidvania but it is real good.

It's the best GTA.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

F.I.S.T.'s combat is so bad lol

you get animation locked for like 20 minutes with every attack and enemies get insane invulnerability frames, there is no reason to engage in the game's "advanced combos" or anything rather than just spamming one safe move over and over

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 15, 2023

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Martman posted:

F.I.S.T.'s combat is so bad lol

you get animation locked for like 20 minutes with every attack and enemies get insane invulnerability frames, there is no reason to engage in the game's "advanced combos" or anything rather than just spamming one safe move over and over

Martman posted:

skill issue

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

it is easy, and also not fun (like bloodstained's spam). getting the weathered mask in hollow knight was extremely difficult but also completely precise and fun

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

For Top tier (after Castlevania games on the PSX, GBA, DS and Metroid games)

Most insecure I'm a real gamer energy sentence I've seen in my life.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess if art, music, and the feelings that they evoke do not count as part of the game, that's a point that you can try to make. But it still seems totally wrong.

If others liked it, that’s great. The artwork is incredible so I can understand.

But the gameplay is just so, incomplete. I’m completely serious when I call is basically an Ocean game. The game feel is half baked and you can immediately tell when you go from Hollow Knight to Blasphemous. It’s not as tight as it should be because it’s like the devs didn’t know what kind of game they wanted it to be so they settled on something instead of truly refining it.

I’m hopeful the sequel will turn out better and I’m happy the devs don’t seem to be in a hurry to release another mediocre product.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Your criticisms are extremely vague while you pretend to be clear by reiterating them. Hollow Knight's controls are insanely precise and they knew exactly what they wanted the combat to be, which is very obvious when you do the boss rush mode and realize how tightly designed 95% of the boss fights are

hollow knight does have actual problems, like, even with the dreamnail, traversing the world can get pretty exhausting in the lategame because it is So Big and fast travel options are too limited. pointing out stuff like this requires actually writing a specific thought instead of stuff like "it's just not tight enough" or "it's half-baked"

Martman fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 15, 2023

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Impermanent posted:

Most insecure I'm a real gamer energy sentence I've seen in my life.

Hollow Knight is a mediocre game. It’s ok to like mediocre games. We just talking about games. No need to project your insecurities on others :)

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Anora, I've posted this in another thread but this is what I would recommend instead of wasting your time on a sub-par game like Hollow Knight:

Not quite Metroidvania but has the same spirit, and would still recommend over Hollow Knight:
CARRION
Hyper Light Drifter
Tunic

Have you tried UNSIGHTED? Since you liked Hyper Light Drifter, I think it's worth checking out since the combat has a similar feel.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

unpronounceable posted:

Have you tried UNSIGHTED? Since you liked Hyper Light Drifter, I think it's worth checking out since the combat has a similar feel.

I have not, but I think this is a good opportunity to start. I just finished up the fun little title Psycron (and the pretty rubbish Two Parsecs from Earth), so this might be a good time to start.

Anything you'd recommend I know before starting?

Edit: Turns out Humble Bundle removed my copy so I'll be waiting until a sale. Bummer.

vvvvv I do have a copy of Aeterna Noctis so I'll give that a try.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 15, 2023

KNR
May 3, 2009
The iframe dash being a separate lategame upgrade (and even then it gets its own cooldown) is a significant part of what makes Hollow Knight so good, gently caress I'm tired of games reducing combat to parry/dodge timings.

The only game on that list I might consider better than HK is Toki Tori 2, which isn't really comparable anyway.

FIST's combos are almost entirely pointless, but you do need to learn a single combo chain of your choosing for two of the three postgame superbosses. Which were the best part of the game, but not really worth getting to. FIST and Haiku were some of the games I was of thinking of when I said I was glad that Aeterna Noctis and Lone Fungus didn't spend half the game pretending they're your first platformer.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It is genuinely a mediocre game. The problems are very apparent when you reach the garden areas and it can’t decide if it wants to be a weighty dark souls game or a precision platformer. It has some of the worst play feel since the euro jank platform days of the snes. If you strip away the absolute wonderful art, you get gameplay that is basically Ocean quality.

I won’t be so contrarian to call in a bottom tier metroidvania, but it is easily the most overhyped game that gets by purely on the amazing art.

From someone who beat it and put way too many hours into to see what the gently caress people saw in this game: it’s not worth it. Skip it.

Maybe the sequel will be better when it comes out.

Hollow Knight has amazing fundamentals and the PC handles like a dream, I'm not even a tremendous fan of the game but this is a deranged opinion

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I have not, but I think this is a good opportunity to start. I just finished up the fun little title Psycron (and the pretty rubbish Two Parsecs from Earth), so this might be a good time to start.

Anything you'd recommend I know before starting?

Not that I can think of. Late game I looked a few side quest things up, but I didn't feel like I needed to know anything ahead of time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Haak was pretty fun. Don't know if it fits in with the thread though

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

SlothfulCobra posted:

The second area?

It's the best GTA.

the dash is in the second area, but the shade cloak is in the abyss.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hollow Knight’s platforming and mobility is incredible when you get a feel for what they’re going for. The Path of Pain was outstanding content.

I disliked the final DLC because it leaned too hard into the boss gauntlet aspect of things but not having the patience to refine my gameplan for obvious optional challenge mode content isn’t a game problem, it just was designed for fans who leaned hard into that side of things.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
edit: Removed a lovely post. Please stop comparing everything to dark souls, that's all I ask.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 16, 2023

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Aeterna Noctis is pretty decent. Waaaaaaaaay too much talking, story is meh, the levels are way too large and empty, but the controls are nice and tight making the precision platforming sections really easy to navigate.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Serephina posted:

edit: Removed a lovely post. Please stop comparing everything to dark souls, that's all I ask.
Extremely :same: , I haven't even played a Dark Souls and I'm still very sick of the series, DS/Bloodborne/Elden Ring have invaded all gaming discourse recently.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Recently? That started happening after DS1 was released. Hollow Knight, which is a masterpiece, got compared to that and it was a cliche to say that when it came out six years ago.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Gorn Myson posted:

Recently? That started happening after DS1 was released. Hollow Knight, which is a masterpiece, got compared to that and it was a cliche to say that when it came out six years ago.

To be fair Hollow Knight did straight up lift Dark Souls bloodstain mechanic and the game suffers for it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't care for comparing everything to Dark Souls but there's so much of it's DNA in Hollow Knight it's completely warranted on this case

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Dark souls is just a doom clone

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

galagazombie posted:

To be fair Hollow Knight did straight up lift Dark Souls bloodstain mechanic and the game suffers for it.

I died in a shitload of stupid ways of a shitload of stupid stuff and I don't think I spent more than 15 seconds smacking the shade to get my stuff back. HK only suffers from the comparison, the mechanic is sound but the second somebody compares it to a soulslike then expectations get set up in a stupid way.

I actually like the Bloodstain mechanic in metroidvanias, provided that you can see where you died without needing to reach exactly that point again or without really needing to recover it. HK was basically mandatory since it limits your spells and heals, Blasphemous is similar since regrets limit your magic bar. Afterimage just takes any XP you collected before hitting your next level, which I cared about exactly twice (and only because leveling up is a free heal) so I ignored it the whole game. Knowing where you died, seeing it on a map, and even exactly where in a room when approaching it, helps orient things and can serve as a checkpoint when trying to get through a tough area. "Never been past this point before, but now I've got my Bloodstain, and I have 3 more health potions than last time, lets see how far we can get :haibrow:"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Conversely, I hate the bloodstain mechanic, specifically in metroidvanias. So many times I've made my way to some corner in HK only to die and think "Well, I don't want to go back there" but I know that now I either have the choice of exploring elsewhere and enjoying it or making my way back to a place I don't want to go just so I don't waste a bunch of money.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Didn't really enjoy Hollow Knight and one of the largest reasons was the Bloodstain mechanic.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Hollow Knight was good, but I hated the map system, and the double jump specifically felt bad.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Conversely, I hate the bloodstain mechanic, specifically in metroidvanias. So many times I've made my way to some corner in HK only to die and think "Well, I don't want to go back there" but I know that now I either have the choice of exploring elsewhere and enjoying it or making my way back to a place I don't want to go just so I don't waste a bunch of money.

You also have the third choice of giving the NPC in Dirtmouth a rancid egg so he can just bring the shade there instead. That way if you're just exploring in the rear end-end of nowhere, die to a spike, and don't particularly feel like going all the way there, you can still recover all that geo. Blapshemous similarly has these statues that let you pay currency to undo a Regret, so if you died stupidly in a pit someplace you can choose to pay a small chunk of cash to get your mana bar back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

bawk posted:

You also have the third choice of giving the NPC in Dirtmouth a rancid egg so he can just bring the shade there instead. That way if you're just exploring in the rear end-end of nowhere, die to a spike, and don't particularly feel like going all the way there, you can still recover all that geo. Blapshemous similarly has these statues that let you pay currency to undo a Regret, so if you died stupidly in a pit someplace you can choose to pay a small chunk of cash to get your mana bar back.

Most games with a bloodstain/corpse mechanic in recent years have something like this, an option to spend a fairly common consumable or currency to get it back if the potential loss is too great. It’s fine imo.