Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Mega Comrade posted:

Tiktok seems to be the new way music blows up.

Oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think a paradigm shift that's better for artists but customers are just as screwed as when big corps held all the power is really all that desirable.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Tree Reformat posted:

I don't think a paradigm shift that's better for artists but customers are just as screwed as when big corps held all the power is really all that desirable.

What does "customers are just as screwed" mean? How, in your view, were/are customers being screwed?

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Baronash posted:

What does "customers are just as screwed" mean? How, in your view, were/are customers being screwed?

Not being able to control when/where/how often you can enjoy media you already paid for because the media company and/creator doesn't want you to sucks poo poo and is bad.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

TikTok payola is as bad as radio ever was. I don't believe that they have any rules about paying to play music, so that's what people do. It's a small part of this NPR story about the music business: https://www.npr.org/2023/03/17/1164300124/inflation-song-records-music-business-profit

It's gonna rule when the terrible AI future comes to pass and everything is just 99% bot creators talking to 99% bot consumers while all the humans either sit in palatial elysium or labor in the pits to make that rich life possible. Especially plausible because general AI doesn't need to exist for that to happen. Just the obsession with efficiency and metrics.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Tree Reformat posted:

Not being able to control when/where/how often you can enjoy media you already paid for because the media company and/creator doesn't want you to sucks poo poo and is bad.

Are we still talking about music? The music sales platform that was referenced upthread was Bandcamp, which allows for DRM-free downloads of anything you purchased. iTunes switched to DRM-free sales completely in 2009, and there were plenty of other sales platforms that beat them to the punch years earlier. And, of course, CDs have always been trivial to rip and play on whatever device you wanted.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tree Reformat posted:

nobody is prevented from buying vhs tapes or even dvds if they want

they don't

also I have news about how people could consume the media they paid for on cable tv back in the golden days

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Foxfire_ posted:

Spotify's licensing structure is essentially:
- Throw all the subscription money in a pot
- Spotify takes a percentage off the top for themselves
- The remainder is paid out according to what percentage of the total listening hours you were that month. If 1% of the total hours was people listening to you, you get 1% of the money

That doesn't seem like an unfair way to divy out the money for an all-you-can-listen subscription. Even if Spotify's cut was 0%, it still wouldn't qualitatively change anything for a small artist. The overwhelming majority of what people listen to is top 40, so top 40 gets the overwhelming majority of the money.

Spotify is also just very cheap compared to the CD era. A 1995 CD was about $17, which is about $30 or three months of spotify in 2023 dollars. Most people who were regularly buying music were buying more than four albums a year

You forgot to account for the scammers that put up stolen or AI generated music as well as the companies offering bot services to artificially drive up stream counts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kyte posted:

You forgot to account for the scammers that put up stolen or AI generated music as well as the companies offering bot services to artificially drive up stream counts.

Yeah this has been a huge problem for self-publishing authors going through Amazon. It's a big pool of money and a zero sum game, so of course some lovely fuckers are spamming AI drivel and using botnets to artificially inflate "reads."

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I use spotify almost constantly and I while I'd believe there's a lot of that junk there, even when using their algorithmic recommendations I've only ever gotten real music. Might be my tastes? I guess it's hard to AI generate psych rock.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s hard to fake vocals, but there are already a ton of AI-generated instrumental or electronic music on Spotify and other music platforms. It’s usually attributed to some no-name artist with literally no online presence. It’s hard to identify these tracks just by listening. A lot of it sound pretty decent tbh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lyesh posted:

It's gonna rule when the terrible AI future comes to pass and everything is just 99% bot creators talking to 99% bot consumers while all the humans either sit in palatial elysium or labor in the pits to make that rich life possible. Especially plausible because general AI doesn't need to exist for that to happen. Just the obsession with efficiency and metrics.

We're already there in at least a few sectors. The executive class clearly considers the actual human beings on both ends to be an annoying holdover they want gone.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Kyte posted:

The study/focus playlists also feature music that Spotify themselves commissioned from library composers for a flat upfront fee and no payouts for streaming. Those also get made up artist identities

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Relating to the conversation about converting offices to housing, here is an office in San Rafael that has done just that. Not inside a major city, but an interesting example. Listed for $520,000 for a 1,066 ft² 1 bedroom/1 bath condo (with $655 a month in HOA fees).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's fuckin grim.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
nonono its just the new office aesthetics

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm the Moiré pattern

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Half a million dollars and $600 in HOA for a fluorescent-lit box just lmao

This is our future now isn’t it. A dystopian nightmare that still no one can afford.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Live In Office is a natural reaction to Work From Home.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm the Moiré pattern

It would look a bit less grim with hardwood if only to give it some color...
Also that's a lot of square footage for a one bedroom, and is likely to be a pain to actually use due to all the crazy angles.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've been shown worse apartments in Tel Aviv at the height of unauthorized splitting. None of that grim carpeting, though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Make sure to click through the gallery to see the original office. They literally didn't touch the ceiling or the carpet (obviously), and the office actually had a slightly more pleasant paint job.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I think that looks really terrible but I’m kinda curious to see what it looks like furnished for living. The pictures of it showing the original office do indeed look nicer because it’s not fully empty and with white walls.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Tbh I wouldn't mind because it's such a blank slate for furniture and accents and poo poo. I love that sort of thing and would go hog wild. I'd probably just heavily utilize floor and table lamps and see if it was feasible to install a couple ceiling fans. Use some stylish dividers to separate areas. I dunno seems like a fun challenge.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I don't have any comment about how it looks, but the price per square foot alone is right about what my entire average monthy rent has been over a lifetime.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I live in an office builsing converted into an apartment. They left the office style ceiling lights and the exit sign over the door lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think that looks really terrible but I’m kinda curious to see what it looks like furnished for living. The pictures of it showing the original office do indeed look nicer because it’s not fully empty and with white walls.

If they just replaced the floor and ceiling it would look at least livable

Papercut fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 16, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I will say that I've seen rental properties a lot like that in the US ages ago. They definitely looked a bit better furnished, but still, there's an underlying... I barely want to call it aesthetic that this is from, it's not just it being an office-space.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Do you mean like using ceiling panels in basements and stuff? That's a common enough thing of you think you need to get up in there to your poo poo (literally, given plumbing).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
There's definitely something VERY wrong about having a washing machine in your kitchen/dining room/living room area. Like the part where you would likely be keeping your dirty laundry basket in your kitchen. Might as well hang the laundry to dry in your bedroom.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Nenonen posted:

There's definitely something VERY wrong about having a washing machine in your kitchen/dining room/living room area. Like the part where you would likely be keeping your dirty laundry basket in your kitchen. Might as well hang the laundry to dry in your bedroom.

I'm assuming they have a bathroom. Why not put it there? There is at least precedent for that.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Nenonen posted:

It's relatively common in Europe, for largely the same reason: retrofitting plumbing into new rooms is a lot more expensive

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've seen that even in new construction to reduce the complication of plumbing.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Bah, I'm sure having toilets and washing machines connected up to plumbing is purely an astetics thing. Just put them where ever. It'll be fine.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Washing machine in kitchen, or a kitchen-adjacent area, is common in many parts of Asia. I don’t think it’s nearly as problematic as you’re describing it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nenonen posted:

As others said it’s common in not-America. I used to live in not-America and had a washing machine my my kitchen as well. It’s just where the hookups are. No big deal.

I kept my laundry basket in my room like a normal person.

I hung my clothes out to dry outside in my patio to dry in the sun, also like a normal person.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
arent clothes dryers in not US also less powerful? they get the clothes dry enough that you then air dry them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

arent clothes dryers in not US also less powerful? they get the clothes dry enough that you then air dry them.

I'm not sure on the relative powerfulness of clothes dryers in not-America but most people I know don't have one because it's a complete waste of electricity when the sun is perfectly capable and fine at what it does. Especially in recent years where you have heat """waves""" lasting months.

e: I suppose someone in Scandinavia might have some different thoughts, with the sun not coming out and all.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 17, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I mean, I still only use the dryer for sheets and blankets, everything else gets dried out well enough either in the summer heat or the winter heating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, in the UK using a washing line is something of a gamble on the weather, and a lot of work compared to a dryer besides. Mine is perfectly capable of getting clothes dry to the point where they can go in a wardrobe with the door open. It’s also in my kitchen, because that’s where there’s space for it and it’s never caused me any issues. (The laundry basket is in my bedroom, though.)