Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

in my experience? getting a job :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

its becoming a reactionary, op

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol okay that other person went to a Taylor Swift concern three times, twice in the same month? No sympathy at all.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There is this weird tension in Kingston and Ottawa where 30 year old PhD candidates, policy analysts, intelligence officers, protective service officers, foreign service officers and so on have no idea how to dress for work, or behave in meetings. It's not that they don't know what Nautica and Banana Republic are, or that they can just buy the khakis and dress shirts from Lululemon that are a bit more stylish that everyone's rocking. It's that they really are dressing inappropriately "young" and "unprofessionally" and running their mouths about their jobs on LinkedIn, instagram, TikTok or worse, the dating apps and at bars. It's not a "kids these days" things, because some of them are my age and around the age of posters ITT.

I mean, the young kids are worse, but you set the bar lower as you expect them go through the student experience program or internships to learn how to work in government, the academy, the military, other agencies. I'm exhausted by the older ones, and I don't know what the suspended adolescence thing is about. There are incoming Zoomers that are more mature and squared away than these straggling Millennials.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

definitely not what she's going for, which is probably some visualization bs -- but charitably student loans paid off

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the real joke is that the college degree doesn't get you anything anyways

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vomik posted:

my greatest political moment was when i knocked over wolf blitzer on an amtrak train

this is the second greatest act of praxis cspam has ever produced, right below that guy shooting tiny toese in the toes, but right above nichael's entire career

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/jzux/status/1680623730014441473?s=19

I'm not gonna post this in the covid thread because I already know how the regulars there think, but am I the odd one out for not being able to empathize with this sentiment at all? There was a much longer and stricter "lockdown" here than in the USA and yet I don't feel anything like this person where it's like you were in prison and you're wistfully talking about what you'll do when you're let out.

Otoh due to my line of work I had to work all the way through covid like it didn't exist so anyone who made it through ok that is hand wringing about how tough it was can kiss my rear end

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Mantis42 posted:

if you were poor and an essential worker the shutdowns barely affected you

I mean it sucked a lot of life's pleasures out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tactlessbastard posted:

Otoh due to my line of work I had to work all the way through covid like it didn't exist so anyone who made it through ok that is hand wringing about how tough it was can kiss my rear end

Thank you for your service

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Samuel Glompers posted:

I mean it sucked a lot of life's pleasures out

yea but i mean those barely exist is my point

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

if you were poor and an essential worker the shutdowns barely affected you

gently caress

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is this image a deliberate troll because i cant process someone knowing that theres a jack nicholson joker but not knowing that there were contemporaneous video games back when that movie was new

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

is this image a deliberate troll because i cant process someone knowing that theres a jack nicholson joker but not knowing that there were contemporaneous video games back when that movie was new

Look at the big brain on Some Guy...

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not gonna post this in the covid thread because I already know how the regulars there think, but am I the odd one out for not being able to empathize with this sentiment at all? There was a much longer and stricter "lockdown" here than in the USA and yet I don't feel anything like this person where it's like you were in prison and you're wistfully talking about what you'll do when you're let out.

The funny part about this is it's incredibly common to hit your 20's/30's and realize that there's no secret switch that gets flipped into adulthood and that everyone around you is in mostly the same boat. There's some stuff that sort of speeds up the process like having kids or being otherwise responsible for other people but for the most part I feel like it's an incredibly common feeling among the majority of people and lmao if there's now people out there that think they missed the secret handshake during covid.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

where does half life 2 and counter strike fit into this

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Big "this is the only hardship I've faced in my life and so it feels extremely novel" energy, here

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Danann posted:

where does half life 2 and counter strike fit into this

Anything before Halo 3 and you're a skeleton

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PoundSand posted:

The funny part about this is it's incredibly common to hit your 20's/30's and realize that there's no secret switch that gets flipped into adulthood and that everyone around you is in mostly the same boat. There's some stuff that sort of speeds up the process like having kids or being otherwise responsible for other people but for the most part I feel like it's an incredibly common feeling among the majority of people and lmao if there's now people out there that think they missed the secret handshake during covid.

I think as people lose meaning elsewhere in life, in their daily interactions with society I mean, they fall into wanting a social media version of it, particularly if you are an aspiring PMC striver. That's why they categorize their own experiences as like #girldinner when they're tired from work and eat on the coach. I dated someone who despite a top flight job and education who nevertheless could only enjoy things by instagramming every overpriced meal we ate together in a trendy bare with bare walls and Edison bulb.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

There is this weird tension in Kingston and Ottawa where 30 year old PhD candidates, policy analysts, intelligence officers, protective service officers, foreign service officers and so on have no idea how to dress for work, or behave in meetings. It's not that they don't know what Nautica and Banana Republic are, or that they can just buy the khakis and dress shirts from Lululemon that are a bit more stylish that everyone's rocking. It's that they really are dressing inappropriately "young" and "unprofessionally" and running their mouths about their jobs on LinkedIn, instagram, TikTok or worse, the dating apps and at bars. It's not a "kids these days" things, because some of them are my age and around the age of posters ITT.

I mean, the young kids are worse, but you set the bar lower as you expect them go through the student experience program or internships to learn how to work in government, the academy, the military, other agencies. I'm exhausted by the older ones, and I don't know what the suspended adolescence thing is about. There are incoming Zoomers that are more mature and squared away than these straggling Millennials.

millenials are going through what gen x before them already went through: mainstream culture has now passed by them and now they're desperately trying to stay relevant. it's not gonna be graceful lol.

everyone wants to stay eternally 22 years old which is probably a reaction to inadequate material conditions, poor/entirely online social conditioning, poor career prospects ("get a degree, go into debt, and the world is yours" promise that never materialized), "adulting" (and reluctance that comes with it)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is this supposed to be bad why does the first half make it sound bad but then the second half sounds like an objectively good thing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nichael posted:

What even is "closure" on finishing college

graduation ceremony where mike bloomberg gives his rules for success as guest speaker usually

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Some Guy TT posted:

is this image a deliberate troll

yes

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Mantis42 posted:

yea but i mean those barely exist is my point

See but that's the thing, it was easy to really crack when what little you had left was gone. Idk I was essential during the pandemic and it's a sentiment I'm sympathetic to, but I'm also not gonna stick my neck out too hard for some twitter account that I just instinctively assume is going to also be like "Ya'll it's time to talk about the trauma of being a gifted kid 1/15" so

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The problem is that the right wing are the only people saying what Social Historians are able to observe about past societies and nobody except weirdos is saying about our own:

People "grow up" when they have kids, and are living, and working for someone beyond themselves. It's difficult, maybe impossible, to have the surety in doing things for yourself, loving yourself, feeling belonging with yourself, as you do with a family.

I realize this is loaded with all sorts of culture war stuff, but I'm not saying this should be forced on anyone, or applies to everyone, I am just saying when historians research past societies, they look for rites of passage and the transition to the stability of adulthood and family life as the foundations of social life. It's like, conservatives want to force people to accept that their place in the world is xyz, but support the socioeconomic system that strips all meaning from it.

What no materialism does to a motherfucker. They want people to behave as if there is still a society, so conform to it and everything, but without the incentives of material conditions that actually drive that behaviour.

People get married and have kids, feel comfortable with their place in society, both in their home and community, when they can afford to.

The RETVRN people are the same ones who most embrace capitalism, so "they symptoms are bad, but the causes? The causes are very, very good!"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The idea of very rigid starting and ending dates for "phases of life" feels like capitalist bullshit to me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

is this supposed to be bad why does the first half make it sound bad but then the second half sounds like an objectively good thing

well, you see, if the rents are lower, the buildings downtown aren't worth as much, and this is bad, if you own a building downtown

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I can confirm that I absolutely do feel much more like an adult since having kids, but as we all know, people aren't fully capable of having kids and just choosing not to because they want to kill the toys-r-us industry or whatever boomer bullshit conservatives earnestly believe, they're not having kids because they can't get a house or apartment with enough bedrooms to keep a kid there

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Nichael posted:

The idea of very rigid starting and ending dates for "phases of life" feels like capitalist bullshit to me.

humans like to compartmentalize things to make life easier

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

lol this guy saw the word "sorcerer" and went for it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You learn things when you need to, as you need to.

I learned how to maintain and keep a budget once I was buried in debt and needed a way out, after years of not having worried about it before.

I learned how to file paperwork - insurance claims, taxes, car registration, at the moment they came up, and not a second before.

2020 forced me to move all my bills-paying to online banking after a decade of walking to the corner store because you couldn't do that anymore, and it's stuck with me since.

I suppose the question is whether you're in the right space and condition to learn, when that time does come, but even then, it's not like you only get once chance at it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Frosted Flake posted:

And before I get more complaints than I otherwise would have: BUSINESS CASUAL IS NOT "WHITE" ATTIRE. IT'S UNIVERSAL ATTIRE. IT IS A GLOBAL STANDARD FOR POLITE AND FORMAL DRESSWEAR, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT STARTED IN EUROPE OR NOT. GET OVER IT.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

tactlessbastard posted:

I worked all the way through as an essential worker until right when the vaccine came out at which time I was laid off. I didn't get to keep my job nor did I get the wonderment of chilling and making bread. lol and lmfao

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

1glitch0 posted:

And before I get more complaints than I otherwise would have: BUSINESS CASUAL IS NOT "WHITE" ATTIRE. IT'S UNIVERSAL ATTIRE. IT IS A GLOBAL STANDARD FOR POLITE AND FORMAL DRESSWEAR, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER IT STARTED IN EUROPE OR NOT. GET OVER IT.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Will Stancil vs Ryan Grim is like a mime fighting the blind

wouldn't a mime just beat the poo poo out of a blind person? he wouldn't even know he was there it would be like fighting a ghost

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yellowcar posted:

humans like to compartmentalize things to make life easier

not me

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Nichael posted:

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the only end date for a phase of life that matters is the phase in which i am released from this hell and turn into a rotten corpse

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Speaking for myself, I can't relate because, well, I'm a homebody anyways. My concert going days are mostly behind me, and I'm perfectly content to stay at home and play videogames.
Plus, even if I still were the Going Out Regularly type, I live an hour away from Pittsburgh, so feeling like driving in to do anything was something of an investment anyways.

I could get it if you were someone who lived in a larger city with a thriving nightlife that you actually participated in, but for people like me, it was more of a minor inconvenience most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

It comes from a time when American society used to function. However, since American society hasn’t really functioned for decades now, it’s not really worth getting worked up about any more. The fact that the original tweeter is still lamenting that sort of thing like it still exists betrays the fact that she’s pretty well off.