Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Here is his larval stage, before he went full Groucho Marx with his look and was still working on the accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgaMu0jjzNI

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Rappaport posted:

I hand out a lot of pity-passing grades to students. If someone doesn't care about a particular subject, it's not in my interests to flunk them, they'll just be either my or someone else's problem later on, and of course the academic institutions themselves have financial incentives to generate graduates rather than knowledgeable people.

This film has a good conversation between Einstein and Marilyn where Albert tells her just reciting facts is useless. If only things were seen so.

what movie is this?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Einstein Does Marilyn

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's not actually a GOOD idea but I've seen people suggest that global warming was actually sped up by a lot of the original batch of smog prevention anti-pollution deals, that global warming was SOMEWHAT being counterbalanced by global dimming.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

reignonyourparade posted:

It's not actually a GOOD idea but I've seen people suggest that global warming was actually sped up by a lot of the original batch of smog prevention anti-pollution deals, that global warming was SOMEWHAT being counterbalanced by global dimming.

It was the MARPOL sulfur limits going into effect recently.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
It worked in Alpha Centauri

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

klen dool posted:

what movie is this?

Insignificance, from 1985 (Criterion trailer link). It also has Gary Busey in it. Whether that's a selling point or a hard pass depends on you, I suppose. The soundtrack is amazing, too, but fair warning, the movie also features some fairly dark scenes.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

reignonyourparade posted:

It's important to note also that the Sun goes through various cycles of waxing and waning in its emission of solar radiation, and that on the scale of centuries it's right in the middle range of intensity at the moment. That means that if it starts trending towards another grand solar maximum it would greatly exacerbate anthropogenic climate change. Mind you, that would probably take a century or longer to occur, and we'll be hosed anyways by then.

It is relevant to note, however, that the shortest cycle it experiences is an 11-year fluctuation, and in that cycle the last minimum occurred in 2019, meaning that it's only going to be ramping up for the next 7 years...

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Rebel Blob posted:

Here is his larval stage, before he went full Groucho Marx with his look and was still working on the accent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgaMu0jjzNI

How does this guy sound like a clearly enunciating Swedish Chef?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

tecnocrat posted:

I saw that he worked on French history and found an interview he did in French and he sounds just as much like a muppet speaking that language lmao

This kind of thing is endemic to academia. I know several American and Canadian scholars in the humanities who either have studied in Europe or research some aspect of European culture or history and end up affecting weird accents or mannerisms, usually some flavor of pseudo-British. It often comes from a deep-seated insecurity about being perceived as uncultured or unsophisticated.

I literally just a couple of months ago was talking to a grad student in my program who has a full-blown English accent and mentioned Canadian Thanksgiving. He responded that he hadn't been home for Thanksgiving in a long time and after seeing my obviously confused expression explained that he's Canadian, lived most of his life in Canada, but went to university in the UK and "just picked up the accent."

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 17, 2023

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

tecnocrat posted:

He looked at Jordan Peterson and thought "yeah man I gotta have a loving STUPID VOICE to make it!"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's like dazzle camo I have no idea what he's even talking about I'm just so confused

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
From what I've heard elsewhere, that would actually be an effective band-aid, with the obvious caveats that a) we do still have to stop carbon emissions/reduce atmospheric carbon, and b) injecting a whole lot of sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere might have other unfortunate effects.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I’m going to say that intentionally dimming our atmosphere is going to run quickly into the law of unintended consequences.

“Well, cleaning our air was actually bad so, dirtying it up has to be good, right?”

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Yeah it's been an idea forever, I remember reading about it in a Bucky Fuller book from the .. 80s?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We probably shouldn’t do things Mr. Burns did in real life

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Like in the Matrix???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We’re probably going have to do something to mitigate the damage that’s already fait accompli

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

That's 100% Charlie pretending to be smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOzR2AOqfw

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

MeinPanzer posted:

I saw that he worked on French history and found an interview he did in French and he sounds just as much like a muppet speaking that language lmao

This kind of thing is endemic to academia. I know several American and Canadian scholars in the humanities who either have studied in Europe or research some aspect of European culture or history and end up affecting weird accents or mannerisms, usually some flavor of pseudo-British. It often comes from a deep-seated insecurity about being perceived as uncultured or unsophisticated.

I literally just a couple of months ago was talking to a grad student in my program who has a full-blown English accent and mentioned Canadian Thanksgiving. He responded that he hadn't been home for Thanksgiving in a long time and after seeing my obviously confused expression explained that he's Canadian, lived most of his life in Canada, but went to university in the UK and "just picked up the accent."

Faking an English accent is very much a cool thing to do with younger people these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/may/14/fake-british-accents-americans-gen-z

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

MeinPanzer posted:

Please post a link, I want to experience this

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

burnishedfume posted:

Please post a link, I want to experience this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62AgIcbPvqI

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

My Anglo newfie teacher spoke French with a hard newfie accent, and this dude is somehow still goofier.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

did this video get shamed off the internet

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Holy poo poo that accent is even more embarrassing than the one he puts on his English.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

As an English speaker learning French, his French accent is at the same time worlds better than mine, but also the goofiest poo poo I`ve ever heard, I think beating my favorite Acadian musician
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0r0_urwo8

Staluigi posted:

did this video get shamed off the internet

I had to hop behind a VPN to watch it, so either it's unavailable in the US or TV5Monde has both of us blocked

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
I noticed his "uhhs" sounds like goose honks when I first watched that video and now I can't get the sound out of my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62AgIcbPvqI&t=100s

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 18, 2023

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Murgos posted:

Yeah, I’m going to say that intentionally dimming our atmosphere is going to run quickly into the law of unintended consequences.

Unintended consequences like killing all the plants?

Or just dropping crop yields leading to mass starvation and record food prices?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also increased demand for locally sourced nuclear power

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Unintended consequences like killing all the plants?

Or just dropping crop yields leading to mass starvation and record food prices?

Re-launching the long pork line of food products seems like a very capitalist response to grain supplies dying off due to mr. Burns dimming our atmosphere.

Wait, this isn't even the libertarian thread, Jesus :eng99:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/joebiden/status/1681424737384435713?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fuckin lmao

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Biden is a piece of poo poo but that's an amazing ad

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

Biden is a piece of poo poo but that's an amazing ad

This poo poo just always makes me wish the Dems in the GOP's minds actually existed

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

If I still had a FB account, this would get shared. It's like that Hannity graphic where he lists all the poo poo that AOC supports and every one of them is "yes, please"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bengilroyirl/status/1681192434368217088?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Dying of heatstroke in the desert because I won’t take off my goretex as my body’s thermoreceptors have fallen to the woke mind virus

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

lol the way she says "uuurban problems"

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/bengilroyirl/status/1681192434368217088?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Dying of heatstroke in the desert because I won’t take off my goretex as my body’s thermoreceptors have fallen to the woke mind virus

Oh man I'd love to see those replies