Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Archer666 posted:

Definitely fried my friend's brain, who's brain was already kinda crispy. Dude turned into a full-on recluse and hoarder, refusing to go outside anywhere and when he did he'd mask up. I don't really have a problem with the latter, but when things calmed down and restrictions loosened up, he started up being an rear end in a top hat and just shittalking everyone who stopped wearing masks and going on bitter tirades about "Oh I'm the one doing my best but they're being selfish assholes, why do I have to suffer???". Just weird poo poo.

What's his username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I got to work at home for three wonderful years and then got offered a new job in an office for $7/hour more and had to take it. Being back in an office sucks. It took probably six months before I acclimated back into the physical routine, but even now I am completely emotionally exhausted every day when I get home to the point that I collapse on the couch and am useless for the rest of the evening.

The raise is nice though.

I guess the brain broke part is where I learned it doesn't have to be like this.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Covid made me realize society hated disabled/sick people. Being disabled from birth I always knew the world wasn't made for me but hearing CHUDs bang on about how the disabled should die for "hogging taxpayers dollars" kinda made me unable to trust ableds. Also, hey, CHUDs, if you want me to stop "being a drain on society" then hire me! I got skills and so do many other disabled people!

Also the fact that the same brainless idiots attacked Asians because it would make Covid go away somehow.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Covid made me realize society hated disabled/sick people. Being disabled from birth I always knew the world wasn't made for me but hearing CHUDs bang on about how the disabled should die for "hogging taxpayers dollars" kinda made me unable to trust ableds. Also, hey, CHUDs, if you want me to stop "being a drain on society" then hire me! I got skills and so do many other disabled people!

Also the fact that the same brainless idiots attacked Asians because it would make Covid go away somehow.
My man!

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Violet_Sky posted:

Covid made me realize society hated disabled/sick people.

Samesies. Also that our public health institutions really only exist to protect capital and themselves. E.g. the WHO refusal to acknowledge airborne transmission, the FDA punishing the Seattle Flu Study for cross-checkkng their samples for covid, the CDC halving the isolation period when the CEO of Delta asked them too, etc...

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 17, 2023

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
COVID is probably the reason I have my job now. People needed more internet support monkeys because everyone was working and schooling from home. We were constantly slammed and I was all but forced to do a ton of overtime.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
im still in lockdown

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

What's his username

He's more of a twitter guy than a dead-gay-comedy-forum guy. Which probably contributes greatly to fried brains

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ElectricSheep posted:

Yeah I call horseshit, my favorite memory of teaching the hybrid model during COVID was finding out one of my at-home kids got busted trying to play a looped video of him when he was supposed to be logged into Zoom in other classes, and would have gotten away with it except he made a movement during the loop that gave him away like that scene in Speed. I respected the poo poo out of that and still laugh about it to this day. Yeah, kids aren't necessarily lazy - they're just moving to their own beat

Smart kid too, aced his state exam in Science

A smart lazy person will do whatever it takes to stay lazy. And that can be a good thing.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

A smart lazy person will do whatever it takes to stay lazy. And that can be a good thing.

drat, I must be the smartest person in the world then.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think Covid broke my brain a bit. I honestly wish I could forget about how society responded to it. Much like the Trump presidency, it was a way to see who was who…but Covid was a little bit more bipartisan because I’d see otherwise liberal people lose their minds about having embrace masking and social distancing. But through that all I also realized just how social of species humans are. People, eventually myself included, were willing to risk their health if it meant being able to socialize and also see the bottom half of people’s faces. There’s so much missing from a conversation if half of your face is covered. It was also a really stressful time occasionally for me because a possible exposure/infection meant having to not see anyone for like a week and a half, and that’s a terrible thing for someone with a history of depression. God that was awful.

On a brighter note, the arrival of Covid upended my life in such a way I was able to start fresh in a new city with minimal friction and financial discomfort thanks to the generous PUA, and it set in motion the ability to find a job in a company that still remains office-optional so it really became this golden set of circumstances.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

emSparkly posted:

drat, I must be the smartest person in the world then.

Looking forward to your contributions to Callisto....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have got my triple vaccines.

I've tried and gone beyond that

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

redshirt posted:

My PCP is a mildly attractive lady and I feel she's become way more sexualized since the Pandemic. I assume that's her, not me, but I could be wrong.

what the hell is going on here?
/
:dafuq:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Broke brain example in the broken brain thread wtf?????????????????

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dick Fontaine posted:

what the hell is going on here?
/
:dafuq:

Attractive Lady Doctor has become strangely more forward since the Pandemic?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Just enjoy our homegrown broke brains

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anne Whateley posted:

Spoiler, that’s not how viruses work. It’s not “my opinion,” you’re just wrong. That’s why, for example, we even saw worse variants of covid evolve.

For COVID‑19 specifically, “Does Omicron cause less severe disease?” was an open question for a while, but it’s been answered pretty conclusively since.

It’s about as nasty as the 2020 strains were. Fewer people die now per million infections not because of anything different about the virus, but because most people catching it now (or in 2021) have immune systems primed to fight it, either through vaccination or because they survived a prior infection.

Here’s a recent paper out of Hong Kong (preprint version here to circumvent paywall). In Hong Kong, waves of illness were limited prior to Omicron, so it was a good place to observe what happens when Omicron encounters a lot of people without primed immune systems.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 17, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
One of my best co-worker buddies couldn't get the shot cuz he has an auto immune problem maybe and his mommy wouldn't let him.

He was sick a LOT but couldn't tell us why beyond If I get the shot it will make me sicker.

Like ok bro but you're wheezing and streaming tears down your face and we work with food.

I drove myself and another co-worker to get jabbed and we got 50 bucks each

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Covid definitely broke my brain. I worked retail through it and saw how it made the kind people just a little bit kinder, but the lovely people got a whole lot shittier. I also watched all the rules lawyering just to get out of having to make the tremendous sacrifice of wearing a mask and skipping going out to eat or watch sports. It further fueled the rise of willful ignorance, political strife, bullshit like the anti-vaxxers and now the trucker convoy people who are just mad everything.

Then I think about the sacrifices we're going to be asked to make when climate change really starts to accelerate the socioeconomic crises and humanitarian catastrophes we're already not properly dealing with.

We aren't going to make those sacrifices. We're going to show each other the worst of what humanity has to offer instead.

I'm trying my best to not care. I'm a middle aged white man living in North America. If I keep my head down I might even make it to dying of old age without being affected by the worst of it, but it is very very hard to keep from completely losing my poo poo about it.

:dehumanize:

EDIT: oh ya don't forget the blatant 'we want to protect you from this disease but only in ways that don't cost the government money or affect the profits of rich people.' crap from every level of government.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 17, 2023

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
COVID helped me realize going to restaurants and movie theaters sucks rear end and I haven't been to either since.
I'll get take out sometimes though

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Earwicker posted:

mental healthcare. and by that i dont just mean crazy people either, i mean the professionals that are supposed to take care of us crazy people. they're all crazy now too. or just gone.

on the positive side, there's a town in the bay where i grew up that closed off its main street to car traffic and made it a pedestrian only zone so the restaurants could do outdoor seating. its stayed that way ever since and its made a massive improvement in that town. breaking down "car culture"

From page one, but can confirm that as a mental healthcare professional for 20 years, covid made me want to leave the field. I mean, that and some other poo poo, but covid is a big Ol part of that poo poo…

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MEIN RAVEN posted:

From page one, but can confirm that as a mental healthcare professional for 20 years, covid made me want to leave the field. I mean, that and some other poo poo, but covid is a big Ol part of that poo poo…

Yet, you remain in the trenches?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Violet_Sky posted:

Yup, same. Stopped giving a poo poo about pretending to be normal, went full unmasked autistic and am currently closing on proper gender care.

Also, got into hardcore elastomere for covid, stayed maxmasking because I never get the lingering respiratory bugs I used to (one reason I am scared pissless of that thing, I know respiratory germs kick my poo poo in, and I'm not rodeoing with that, jab or no jab), no more hay fever and I saw what was on the filters of my first one. That poo poo used to be going in my lungs, no thank you. Air quality in my town is absolutely the loving pits even without forest fires.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 17, 2023

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My brother-in-law went completely insane with the one-two punch of the 2020 election and covid. Went full anti-vax, anti-mask at the deli/junk store he owns. Lost a ton of business, started blaming it on everything but himself. Then he caught covid at least 3 times, refuses to admit it, despite the fact that he has actual long term health problems because of it. We haven't seen him in person in almost 3 years now, he doesn't leave his business or his house and doesn't do anything with my sister-in-law any more.

On the opposite end my old manager just kinda gave up on work in April of 2020. We were all working from home in my department, he included, but he definitely checked out of doing anything. In July we were told he was no longer with the company. Another coworker texted him to see if he was okay, he just got back "I'll never work again, please do not contact me again".

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Fancy Hat posted:

On the opposite end my old manager just kinda gave up on work in April of 2020. We were all working from home in my department, he included, but he definitely checked out of doing anything. In July we were told he was no longer with the company. Another coworker texted him to see if he was okay, he just got back "I'll never work again, please do not contact me again".

poo poo i wish this was me

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Griz posted:

recent studies have the chance of long covid at like 5-15% per infection but a lot of people would rather pretend that it doesn't exist.

Yeah, there's this too; I can't work, I can't keep my apartment, which is why I am decidedly hardcore on my protection.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I liked it when people were starting to not wear masks anymore and the bottom half of peoples faces was nothing at all like what your brain was filling in for them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I liked it when people were starting to not wear masks anymore and the bottom half of peoples faces was nothing at all like what your brain was filling in for them.

Seeing a dude that I thought was attractive finally unmask and reveal a pencil stripe mustache was a fun time for me.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Covid was wild. Completely shook up the hospitality and food service industries as no one was going on any trips or conventions for awhile. The small, tourist trap town that I'm from still hasn't fully recovered. Tourism has kind of always been the big money in town after the mill shut down and when covid took that away we got a hefty dose of small town decline and youth flight/brain drain.

For awhile there it was almost exactly the sorts of folks who shouldn't have been traveling coming to our town when things loosened up the tiniest bit and giving staff hell for masking up.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

redshirt posted:

Yet, you remain in the trenches?

I gave notice last week and will be done with all work-related things on August 4th. Leaving something that's been part of your identity for so long isn't easy to do, but I'm doing it, so.........

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That was a good read thank you for sharing. Could you bring books to work when nothing was happening? Seems like an idea kindle situation especially if the university wifi was available.

I'd be lying if I said I caught up on my reading backlog. Mostly browsed these forums. Other guys were on their phones, a few books were read.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I gave notice last week and will be done with all work-related things on August 4th. Leaving something that's been part of your identity for so long isn't easy to do, but I'm doing it, so.........

No doubt. What are you moving on to?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A Fancy Hat posted:

"I'll never work again, please do not contact me again".

This is exactly what I'll do when I quit or retire or whatever so either this dude's totally healthy or I'm as broken as he is.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

N. Senada posted:

What’s some stuff/people/businesses that git broke brains because of the pandemic?

And I don’t mean just crazy people.

I think streaming is one, seems like it exploded during the pandemic and a bunch of execs bet everything on it staying that way.

While the tiny theater in my city managed to get through the pandemic, the giant one is now a (even more than before) depressing shell where they serve hot dogs from rollers and just have a bag of buns out in a plastic bag. Like they just gave up. They have 9 monitors above the concessions counter and they’re all turned off all the time.

My dad broke but in a positive direction, the combination of trump getting elected and seeing how anti-mask people responded to Covid completely rewired his brain into becoming a leftist after being a Reagan-it’s his entire life.

OP, have you ever seen cspam? Covid definitely broke some brains like the guy who wears a mask modded with LEDs and a chest speaker and screams at people.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ape Fist posted:

I think there's a very important distinction between "I'm going to wear a mask because it makes me feel safe and comfortable." and "WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT WEARING MASKS ANYMORE, YOU'RE KILLING PEOPLE BY NOT WEARING MASKS, YOU'RE SO SOCIALLY IRRESPONSIBLE AND A HUGE PIECE OF poo poo FOR NOT DOING IT OH MY GOD.", and believe me the second category of person still exists and is very real.

i know they exist on twitter or bluesky or whatever but i have never encountered that in real life. and i live in like one of the most stereotypically politically progressive areas of the country

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Kirk Vikernes posted:

OP, have you ever seen cspam? Covid definitely broke some brains like the guy who wears a mask modded with LEDs and a chest speaker and screams at people.

Noticeable uptick in my mental health when I unplugged from SA Covid threads and followed a podcast called “This Week in Virology” run by actual doctors. I wish I had listened to it sooner. To SA’s credit, goons were the ones that made me aware of the podcast, but I really wish I dropped goon takes on Covid from that point onwards.

Some of the episodes run pretty long (1-2 hours) and the level of detail is beyond my mortal understanding, but they do have 30-45 minute weekly episodes that serve as great updates about Covid and other diseases.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Something more positive, just to balance out things, was that my mom and her Fox News-tuned family didn’t take the bait on anti vaccine rhetoric. There’s still a definite “China did this to us” belief that exists, but after some initial hesitation, everyone put their arms out for the jab and have made it a point to stay up to date on the vaccines, even if the side effects were harsh (Mom and I got flattened by the shots). Needless to say, 2 days of flu symptoms beat out death and disability from Covid.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i was on tour with a podcast/theatre group when covid hit and we started resuming touring in 2022. obviously covid has completely wrecked the live music/events world in many ways. but its been interesting travelling around and seeing the different attitudes in different places.

we usually perform to audiences of about 500-1000 in small to medium theatre/pac type venues though sometimes we end up in more rock club type places because thats whats available. when we first started back on the road in 2022 we required the audience and crew to be masked and to have vaccination cards, but we didn't really enforce very hard. the results were mixed, at first in most of the us everyone would do it no problem but then in parts of the midwest and in the south especially some people refused, in a couple places up to a third of the audience. also, if the venue was more rock club than theatre, the staff would sometimes also refuse. you could really see the political lines re:masking and imo its still hosed up that thats even a thing. also in some states it seemed more visibly a gender thing.

a few tours into that new run, i came in late due to bereavement leave and got covid on my way there and had to hole up in a hotel for a week and a half and then go back home, i'd originally planned to join back up except two shows after i got sick, the tour manager got it from an unmasked stage manager and the rest of that tour was cancelled.

then, in october of 22 we went to europe, and it was like a different world. like in most countries everyone was basically pretending covid had never happened, except in germany where masks were still required on trains (but only half the people did so) and also in the uk you'd still see occasional people in masks on the street. when we first started we were in scandinavia and at first we tried our usual mask policy but the venue people there were just like "oh we dont have covid here" and refused to enforce anything. after a few shows we just kind of gave up and only wore masks if we were on a train or airplane. when we came back to the us, it was kind of the same, masks only in airplanes, and we no longer mention them to the audience at all. its up to them, with the result being that usually 10-30% of a given audience is masked, as of our last run back in may of this year.

but the lasting damage of course is that a ton of venues closed and that touring is a lot riskier. flying out to the midwest and spending a week and a half holed up in a hotel instead of being on the road making money hosed up my whole year. and i know so many other people that happened to, so many tours that got cancelled etc. it was and still is a mess.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Earwicker posted:

i know they exist on twitter or bluesky or whatever but i have never encountered that in real life. and i live in like one of the most stereotypically politically progressive areas of the country

Same thing happens to vegans. It's like a weird simulacra or something where the intent caricature becomes more real than reality.