Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Nenonen posted:

There's definitely something VERY wrong about having a washing machine in your kitchen/dining room/living room area. Like the part where you would likely be keeping your dirty laundry basket in your kitchen. Might as well hang the laundry to dry in your bedroom.

A lot of smaller apartments/condos/homes might only have a bedroom, a bathroom, and a combo kitchen/dining/living room. Unless you have a giant bathroom, where else would you put it? This is so common that I almost feel like I'm missing a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
In the PNW where I live, it would be very difficult to not have a dryer for most of the year.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah some places in the US are far too humid and rain far too much to use clothes lines.

240v electric dryers are great and not really an issue.

120v clothes dryers are useless and exist in many rentals and apartments.

Natural gas, propane or any other gas clothes dryers are arguably efficient, but also terrible.

The YouTube channel Technology Connections that goes really really really into the dry technicalities of modern appliances and is worth a mention.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Taking a cab to my hotel for a work thing in Seattle was the only time I've ever seen a giant billboard advertising Damprid

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

arent clothes dryers in not US also less powerful? they get the clothes dry enough that you then air dry them.

You might be thinking of ventless dryers, which are more common outside the US. They pump the dryer air through a heat pump to cool it and condense the water into a drain or tub (on the heat pump cold side) then reheat the now dry air to go back into the clothes compartment (on the heat pump hot side).

They dry slower and less thoroughly than a vented dryer that exhausts hot humid air to the outside, but they don't need ducting and are more energy efficient

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I’ve lived in the Bay Area, Phoenix and Denver and never met anyone who uses a clothes line instead of putting their clothes in a dryer, either at a laundromat or at home. I have one friend here in a Denver who air dries his t-shirts, but like, indoors. The driers here work fine.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

pumpinglemma posted:

Yeah, in the UK using a washing line is something of a gamble on the weather

I just hang poo poo on my radiators

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Riven posted:

I’ve lived in the Bay Area, Phoenix and Denver and never met anyone who uses a clothes line instead of putting their clothes in a dryer, either at a laundromat or at home. I have one friend here in a Denver who air dries his t-shirts, but like, indoors. The driers here work fine.

Denver is dry enough half the year that you can dry clothes inside without issue. Phoenix is a clothes dryer.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Denver is dry enough half the year that you can dry clothes inside without issue. Phoenix is a clothes dryer.

I was going to say isn't Phoenix known for having temps where putting it on a line would almost dry things quicker. If it's 35c+ and even a touch of wind drying stuff on the line is like ten minutes at most. Who'd use a dryer?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah some places in the US are far too humid and rain far too much to use clothes lines.

Most of the tropical world survives without dryers. I'm in Japan and summer is ungodly humid with almost a month of solid rain from June to July. Home dryers are almost entirely not a thing here. You just have to pay closer attention to weather forecasts to plan your laundry and in the worst of times, dry indoors with a fan and/or air conditioner (some even have "clothes drying" dehumidifying features).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My apartment doesn’t have room to dry laundry without making laundry-drying paraphernalia a major part of the decor.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I used to have to do a lot of maneuvering when I was hanging stuff to dry, that's for sure. When I was a student I got into the habit because the laundromat dryers always seemed like a ripoff. Now I'm just trying to protect the fabric.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The listing also seems to indicate that there is no fridge. So, add a little more hosed-up poo poo to that place around trying to get your layout to fit a free-standing fridge, since it's not going to fit in that non-kitchen.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've just never gotten over my mother's stories about flicking the bird poop off the sheets when bringing them inside.

She still misses them, but not enough to have stopped using the dryer.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sundae posted:

The listing also seems to indicate that there is no fridge. So, add a little more hosed-up poo poo to that place around trying to get your layout to fit a free-standing fridge, since it's not going to fit in that non-kitchen.

For me, the crown jewel is the incredibly awkward bathroom, with the bare-minimum fixtures awkwardly crammed into a former utility closet. It just screams "this space was never meant for anyone to live in it".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hope you never have to set something down on a stable horizontal surface in the bathroom.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ah, the airliner bathroom experience.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat thats the closest I've seen a GFCI to a sink ever.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It's GFCI! Everything will probably be fine!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC in the US there's also a lot of snobbery over clothes lines even in places where it's perfectly viable. On the other hand you got the iconic extending clothlines hanging over the streets of New York between apartments.

Australia of course invented a specific kind of clothesline to maximise space in backyards for a reason.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Baronash posted:

A lot of smaller apartments/condos/homes might only have a bedroom, a bathroom, and a combo kitchen/dining/living room. Unless you have a giant bathroom, where else would you put it? This is so common that I almost feel like I'm missing a joke.

I have never seen a single apartment that didn't have a bathroom with a toilet, sink and shower. I believe it's a requirement. There will always be room for a washing machine. Many single apartment kitchens are too small for a dishwasher, however. And it's always better to place the washing machines in the one room that has actual waterproofing and a floor drain.

Re: drying clothes, you can do it outside in the winter as long as conditions are suitable. Cold air is dry and if it's sunny then moisture will evaporate from clothes even though it's freezing.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australia of course invented a specific kind of clothesline to maximise space in backyards for a reason.

Spider habitats?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Just heading down to the local office convert apartment showing, doesn't exactly look like they put much effort into making it into a livable space and the rent is totally unreasonable, but... it's very well lit for optimal business performance and alertness??

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

In the sense that if an employee takes a wrong turn they end up in the backrooms, you mean?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nenonen posted:

I have never seen a single apartment that didn't have a bathroom with a toilet, sink and shower. I believe it's a requirement. There will always be room for a washing machine. Many single apartment kitchens are too small for a dishwasher, however. And it's always better to place the washing machines in the one room that has actual waterproofing and a floor drain.
lmao there is definitely not room for a washing machine in my bathroom. And most bathrooms don’t have a floor drain?

Plus, UK regulations don’t allow regular mains sockets in bathrooms; you don’t want to have your big electric appliances in the same room where water splashes everywhere.

E: I have a heated airer and it’s a godsend in the winter

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nenonen posted:

There will always be room for a washing machine.

lol I think you need to check your privilege and/or understand that things/norms are different in other countries

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

lol I think you need to check your privilege and/or understand that things/norms are different in other countries
It's not just other countries. I've lived in apartments all over the States, and I don't think I could have squeezed a washing machine into any of their bathrooms. These were normal one and two bedroom apartments, not cramped Manhattan studios.

It's really one of the most bizarre claims I've seen in D&D, and that's saying a lot.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's not just other countries. I've lived in apartments all over the States, and I don't think I could have squeezed a washing machine into any of their bathrooms. These were normal one and two bedroom apartments, not cramped Manhattan studios.

It's really one of the most bizarre claims I've seen in D&D, and that's saying a lot.

Yep. Those apartments tended to have communal laundries in my experience, though (sometimes in a neighboring building).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I've lived in townhouses in the (US) burbs and even there it's communal laundry. Laundry in the unit is a luxury or an expectation of renting a house.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another somewhat common arrangement I've been seeing in Germany is having a washing machine in your own apartment (usually kitchen, sometimes bathroom, rarely a separate little closet), but also having a shared, well-ventilated drying room in the cellar or attic where you can hang your stuff up to dry. The idea being that air-drying in your own apartment could lead to mold growth, especially in winter when people might be less likely to ensure proper ventilation.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I air-dry my shirts so they'll last longer and people in South Carolina think it's quite odd.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
We bought* a washer and dryer and thankfully we managed to fit it into our bathroom, but that’s pretty uncommon here for rentals (though my last place had it, but it was recently renovated).

Usually there’s a communal laundry, tvättstugan, but you need to book in advance (which is fine) but can be quite a distance from your apartment, and in Swedish winter? No. And you’re sharing that with your neighbors and if the communal garbage room is anything to go by, my expectations for tvättstugan here is subterranean. Our garbage and recycling room got so bad that they took away our bins for recycling since so many just threw trash into it all the time. It loving sucked!

*got my US stimmy, thanks for the washer and dryer, uncle Joe!

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Your off your rocker asking 500,000 for that space. At that price you could new build a 3-4000 square foot new build. That pricing is cope from someone who took a bath on commercial real estate and desperately doesn't want their portfolio to loose face value and trigger some clause in their loan. Also sounds like they have set themselves up as the HOA/condo association to ensure maximum profits.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Your off your rocker asking 500,000 for that space. At that price you could new build a 3-4000 square foot new build. That pricing is cope from someone who took a bath on commercial real estate and desperately doesn't want their portfolio to loose face value and trigger some clause in their loan. Also sounds like they have set themselves up as the HOA/condo association to ensure maximum profits.

Yeah but you get Starbucks as your downstairs neighbor. That’s worth something right? And “ample parking” too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Clarste posted:

What is missing from this conversation is that the music companies (or at least their owners) are making just as much money as ever, and the lump sum that must be shared and fought over between all artists is not proportional to the profits the company is making.

They definitely aren't.

The days of CDs was the absolute historical heyday of the music industry and it has been on the decline since 2004. The music industry currently makes about 30% of what it made at the absolute peak in 2000.

(lol that for a brief few years ringtones were actually a sizable chunk of all music industry sales)

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Barrel Cactaur posted:

A quick Zillow search doesn't show a house for 3k+ square feet for less than $2.4 million. Not sure what you're on about here.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They definitely aren't.

The days of CDs was the absolute historical heyday of the music industry and it has been on the decline since 2004. The music industry currently makes about 30% of what it made at the absolute peak in 2000.

(lol that for a brief few years ringtones were actually a sizable chunk of all music industry sales)

2015 was 8 years ago

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Who’s the customer for music videos? I’ve never known anywhere that you could legally buy them.

As an aside, it’s loving dumb that Spotify tried to aggressively promote podcasts instead of offering a music + music video tier for like 50% more, I would have happily paid that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jose Valasquez posted:

2015 was 8 years ago

That's global music revenue. China and other large countries aren't really relevant to the discussion of whether the U.S. music industry is more profitable than ever.

As of two years ago, the total revenue for the U.S. music industry was about 40% less than it was at its peak in 1999. The music industry has been on the rise and recovering since streaming took off, but it is definitely not "making more money than ever before."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That's global music revenue. China and other large countries aren't really relevant to the discussion of whether the U.S. music industry is more profitable than ever.

Since when was the discussion actually about the U.S. music industry, instead of globally? The discussion has been focused a lot on Spotify which is very much not American.

Hel fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 17, 2023