Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Rock Puncher posted:

Hope you are all waking up to a nice monday morning and not eating any breakfast today

i had toast with hummus on it and four black coffees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lokar posted:

it’s just nuts how much money they are blowing

like the most expensive Chinese drama yet is Till the End of the Moon which was 40 hour long episodes (would have been longer but new restrictions on length) and it cost $800 million RMB ( $111 million USD)

obviously there is Union vs non union labor but Jesus Christ why are they spending >$200 million for 13 hours that nobody watches

These mega budget projects are really easy to pay your buddy millions for being the official fart guy on set or some other bs job

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Tech guys in Texas are currently in the Finding Out phase

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

my ITEM is not selling for the price I'm asking what should I do?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Beached Whale posted:

lol moron

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonna spend three quarters of a million to move to hard R, Texas

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
that's not really "finding out" yet if their sell price is 175% their purchase price from 2 years ago

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

text editor posted:

that's not really "finding out" yet if their sell price is 175% their purchase price from 2 years ago

They aren't selling though.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I deserve 171% of what I paid for my plywood box in a desert exurb four years ago

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Can't wait for companies that specialize in converting 4000sq foot Boomer McMansions into 3-4 1br apartments to fight with Boomer zoning boards for the privilege to do so.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1680906475487592448?s=20

quote:

Adjusted for inflation and purchasing power, wages have declined by about 3% since 2019 in Germany, by 3.5% in Italy and Spain and by 6% in Greece. Real wages in the U.S. have increased by about 6% over the same period, according to OECD data...
The eurozone economy grew about 6% over the past 15 years, measured in dollars, compared with 82% for the U.S., according to International Monetary Fund data. That has left the average EU country poorer per head than every U.S. state except Idaho and Mississippi

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

we've been really clear that we are number 1 for a long time
europe thought it was part of the we sadly

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

hmm I wonder if europe getting cut off from Russia's cheap energy and being forced to buy American gas had any impact on this set of events.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

"An aging population that values its free time..." lmao what a take.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1680924576283230208?t=6YANqM-QRvGGMyKa9gKGfg&s=19

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

This this indicate manufacturing over correcting for too many layoffs in H1?

Apr 7, 2003

wash bucket posted:

"An aging population that values its free time..." lmao what a take.

Free time rightfully belongs to your masters

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Free time rightfully belongs to your masters

They spent decades encouraging the people to work hard and they’ll get to enjoy free time when they are old. Now that too is an entitlement.

No one wants to die on the job anymore.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

We’ve been talking about that this summer, food and hotels have gotten so expensive in Greece it’s making it impossible for people who love her to travel and take their summer vacations. Their salaries were already pathetic to begin with and now they can’t afford to go anywhere.

Basically you need two salaries in Greece to move out on your own and now that’s not even cutting it.

Apr 7, 2003

Good thing American wages went up, now for a quick trip to the grocery store

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sorry Europe, you guys were cool for a little while but Number requires blood sacrifices and the global south just ain’t cutting it anymore

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

isn’t greek tourism like 200% of what it was before covid too

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jel Shaker posted:

isn’t greek tourism like 200% of what it was before covid too

these things come and go in pinstagram hype cycles so who knows. previously it was Reykjavik and before that Barcelona. prob would be nice to visit before it’s uninhabitable in x years

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
putin will pay for this

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Good thing American wages went up, now for a quick trip to the grocery store

one weird trick to curing the obesity epidemic

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

PostNouveau posted:

How did they manage to spend $225 million on She Hulk?
Each episode was animated two or three times. Suits thought she was too "muscley" and buff a few months before the debut, leading to the entire series being reanimated in a marathon crunch session.

Then came a handful of scenes after the initial few eps released.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that intro to secret war is dogshit

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Beached Whale posted:

Correction: Currently not selling at 700k

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hotdogguy voice

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Social Media is slowly turning everyone you know into an 80s WASP housewife

and it's only going to get worse from here

https://twitter.com/aspiringpeasant/status/1680736585820803072?t=oIHf7YsROW-84sdLaDjXrg&s=19

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmao

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/07/17/housing-market-recession/

quote:

The housing market recession is already ending
Last year’s downturn in the housing market didn’t last, even with higher interest rates. Now prices are stabilizing as supply chains ease up.

---

The housing market is looking up for Donnie Evans. The Dallas-area builder can finish houses six weeks faster than he could during the pandemic, thanks to mended supply chains on anything from tiles to garage doors. There’s plenty of buyer demand for his homes, which range in price from about $250,000 to $850,000, even as the 30-year fixed mortgage rate hovers near 7 percent, more than twice what it was just 18 months ago.

“We’re not in a recession,” Evans said. “We’re in a slowdown, somewhat. But I don’t think a recession would be the correct word for it at all.”

That’s the growing message from home builders, real estate agents and economists who say last year’s housing market recession — which many feared would linger as the Federal Reserve fought to raise interest rates and crush inflation — has already turned around. Supply chains are easing up, boosting builder confidence and helping construction crews finish homes more quickly. High mortgage rates are cooling demand, but not zapping it altogether. Now that the frenzied bidding wars of the pandemic are over, there are more homes available at any given time, which gives buyers some options. And after dropping in the latter half of 2022, prices are slowly stabilizing, in another shift away from the pandemic’s warped markets.

That’s good news for the overall economy, too. The housing sector — from contracting jobs to home purchases to mortgage loans — is a major driver of consumer spending and economic growth. It is also one of the industries most sensitive to interest rates, which the Fed pushed up at a historically fast clip beginning in March 2022.

“The housing recession is over, but the question becomes, ‘What will the recovery look like?’” said Lawrence Yun, chief economist at the National Association of Realtors. “The ideal recovery is where we have more inventory, more supply coming onto the market, so that the potential home buyers have access to buying a home without seeing a price increase.”

There is still a massive housing shortage nationwide, with economists estimating that the country needs anywhere from 1.5 to 5 million homes to fill the gap. Compounding the problem is that current homeowners with low mortgage rates — say 3 or 4 percent — aren’t selling their houses, clogging up supply in a phenomenon economists dub “hating your house, but loving your mortgage.”

But there are signs that a recovery is underway. Sales of newly built, single-family homes jumped in May to the highest level since February 2022, according to the most recent data from the Department of Housing and Urban Development and the Census Bureau. That marked a 12.2 percent increase compared with the previous month.

New homes also made up 31 percent of the total inventory in May, compared with a more typical, pre-pandemic 15 percent, according to the National Association of Home Builders.

Prices are improving, too. Home prices peaked in June 2022, then dipped through the rest of the year as the housing recession took hold. But they’ve been recovering steadily. After seasonal adjustment, the closely watched S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller Index showed prices rose 0.5 percent in April compared with March, the third straight month of modest increases. Prices are still 1.8 percent below the June peak.

[...]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

Social Media is slowly turning everyone you know into an 80s WASP housewife

and it's only going to get worse from here

https://twitter.com/aspiringpeasant/status/1680736585820803072?t=oIHf7YsROW-84sdLaDjXrg&s=19

if you ask any q-brained person to describe human trafficking they'll give you a plot synopsis of the movie "taken"

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Real hurthling! posted:

not the character. the disney version is pretty clearly a goofy law comedy

She-Hulk has always been a self-aware and goofier comic. In the late 80s run she got into a fight until he Supreme Court that’s similar to a scene in the show.

The comic leaned even harder into the legal side of things in the 2000s and then had a very comedy/law focused run right around the same time Harvey bird man was popular. I’m sure both had an influence on each other and the scope of the shenanigans but She-Hulk has always been an attorney who frequently represented superhumans.

I don’t think it’s an accurate take to just say it’s a rip-off of Harvey Birdman but with a woman.

Saltpowered has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Jul 17, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

andor wasn’t listed but that was also 250 mill I think

Disney plus brings in over a billion a month tho so idk

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

quote:

Kallio now works from 10 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. He uses his extra free time for hobbies, to make good food and take long bike rides. “I don’t see a reality where I would go back to normal working hours,” he said.
Millennials are killing Europe by valuing hobbies. What a nightmare

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Sometimes I wonder if the huge budgets are a handicap more than a benefit (looking at TNG/DS9 vs SNW) where smaller budgets and needing to stretch it for more episodes means you really need to get the most out of your writing, and more episodes (with, thanks to less special effects, means more dialogue too) lets the writers explore more stories

a 200 million dollar eight episode star wars or marvel show is gonna have dogshit writing bc thats not what the studio is focused on or prioritizing, you just know it in your bones

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
if want to kill things you need to be in the business class, then you can kill 2.5 million Americans, cripple another 8, orphan half a million children and rob the treasury of a trillion dollars and it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

why is this rape apologist not probed every time they post in CSPAM?