Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

crestfallen posted:

Just got Lockjaw. Woohoo! BUT: is it bugged right now?

Just had a couple of games where I played a card in a Jaw lane, OR of played card happened, animation for Jaw happened, then… nothing. The next turn, space is taken up by the post-Jaw replaced card but nothing is there. Literally nothing. It’s like the replacement simply did not happen at all, not a visual bug where I just can’t see it.

Lost both of those games because of it. Luckily it was conquest mode but still.

I’ve had this happen to me recently but Lockjaw is pulling out another card, looking at the location’s total power, it’s just fully invisible and you can’t see which card it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Sandwolf posted:

I’ve had this happen to me recently but Lockjaw is pulling out another card, looking at the location’s total power, it’s just fully invisible and you can’t see which card it is.
Okay that helps. I’ll try to look at power next time.

How frustrating though.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
There have been visual bugs with Lockjaw for months now. They said they fixed it in the last patch, but people have still been getting them so I don’t think it’s fixed.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thanks. 👍

It happened to me again. The new card literally doesn’t display at all, but the power does update and if you tap the place where the card should be, then it will display the zoomed in version. Ugh.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
gently caress YES, I did it.

Basically cheesed it with HE Lockdown for a few levels and crawled my way up on retreats. No shame. Ham was a late addition over Sunspot, decided knocking out a card was better than a few power in a location for the purposes of finishing the climb. The deck will forever carry the new card back.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Congrats New Leaf

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

New Leaf posted:

Basically cheesed it with HE Lockdown for a few levels and crawled my way up on retreats. No shame. Ham was a late addition over Sunspot, decided knocking out a card was better than a few power in a location for the purposes of finishing the climb. The deck will forever carry the new card back.

:toot:

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

New Leaf posted:

You turned it over! Congrats 👏!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I ran this with Kitty Pride instead of Jeff because gently caress Jeff (please give me Jeff) and went from 62-70 in fewer than 12 games.

Might make infinite for the first time!

EDIT: small sample size I know, but it feels like I've gotten way more variants in caches this past week, 4 variants now in ~10.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 17, 2023

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Thanks all, feels good. :unsmith:

Got my Phoenix Force wins in Conquest by sticking her in a random Shuri deck.

Edit: Neat.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 17, 2023

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

hell yea brother. you did it, congrats!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Having a good go of it with a Phoenix Force destroy deck but will probably stop playing cause these spotlight caches and the other changes are kinda lovely. I'll give it some time.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

New Leaf posted:

Congrats! I'm still slow rolling down here in the mid 80s. Long Seasons always make me lazy like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Heads up: under no circumstances touch the right side of your screen when you're viewing the collection ladder. If you so much as touch a Spotlight Cache, it will open. If you have to scroll, use the left side of the screen only.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Glad you made it New Leaf!

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Got the 15 wins with Phoenix Force in my deck by slotting it into my Move deck and literally not playing it a single time. I even put Venom in towards the end, but a good play never came up where I had the card in hand.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Having a good go of it with a Phoenix Force destroy deck but will probably stop playing cause these spotlight caches and the other changes are kinda lovely. I'll give it some time.

The spotlight cache system is bad on many levels. This month, I didn't have any of the cards in the cache. So, this is basically the ideal set up under the plan? I open my first one, and out pops Iron Lad, a card I had pulled half an hour earlier. Because there's a chance to get a random P4/5, but it's not a random P4/5 that you don't already have. And since it was a double, it gets converted. And it converted into a lousy venom variant. On the plus side, it was then safe to open three more and get three cards I don't have. So I end up feeling bad about this, in the month where it's as good as its going to get because I'm looking at end of August before there's a spotlight cache which doesn't feature at two cards I already have.

Also, this system seems to incentivize not getting the season pass.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

EDIT: small sample size I know, but it feels like I've gotten way more variants in caches this past week, 4 variants now in ~10.

5 variants now in < 1 week in ~12 caches

and no pixels!

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

Maneck posted:

The spotlight cache system is bad on many levels. This month, I didn't have any of the cards in the cache. So, this is basically the ideal set up under the plan? I open my first one, and out pops Iron Lad, a card I had pulled half an hour earlier. Because there's a chance to get a random P4/5, but it's not a random P4/5 that you don't already have. And since it was a double, it gets converted. And it converted into a lousy venom variant. On the plus side, it was then safe to open three more and get three cards I don't have. So I end up feeling bad about this, in the month where it's as good as its going to get because I'm looking at end of August before there's a spotlight cache which doesn't feature at two cards I already have.

Also, this system seems to incentivize not getting the season pass.

yeap, it's real bad. the one positive thing coming out of it was a few people got the venom ultimate variant out of spotlights, because it was unintentionally coded as a super rare and wasn't supposed to be in there. they started posting about it, which pissed off everyone who had spent 5k tokens on this variant. it also started showing up in the gold shop for purchase as well (1.2k gold) so some folks saw the real value and jumped on it. second dinner fixed this pretty quickly, which i find hilarious because out of everything that has gone wrong, this was the one thing they took swift action on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had wondered if they were going to change the whole 'Ultimate variant' thing now that tokens are so rare, and of course they are exactly the same.

I also hadn't realized with all of the changes that you can no longer pull S4/S5 cards out of regular caches anymore. So if you don't buy a card the week of release, you either have to wait until it shows up in a Spotlight week, or buy it from the token shop when it's in rotation

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

I’m going to put something together for the win with Jean Grey in-deck while I still can, but I’ve faced her so little (and not played her at all) that I have a few questions about her: if she’s played and then spidey is played, is the opponent blocked from playing new cards that round (aside from playing Jeff there)? Similarly, if she’s played on Goose is the opponent barred from playing if they have no 4/5/6? I neither know nor have the required faith in SD to have tested or implemented any of this competently.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Ellaybee posted:

I’m going to put something together for the win with Jean Grey in-deck while I still can, but I’ve faced her so little (and not played her at all) that I have a few questions about her: if she’s played and then spidey is played, is the opponent blocked from playing new cards that round (aside from playing Jeff there)? Similarly, if she’s played on Goose is the opponent barred from playing if they have no 4/5/6? I neither know nor have the required faith in SD to have tested or implemented any of this competently.

The way it works is that if you (both players) have a card in hand they can play in Jean's lane, they have to play one of those cards there before they play anything else.

In the Goose example, if they have only 4/5/6 cards, they can ignore Jean. If you Spidey the lane, they can play wherever they want.

There might be bugs though, that's what they mean by "if possible"

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
If you have an eligible play on her spot you have to do it. If not you're free to play anywhere else that's eligible

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

MissMarple posted:

I hope this isn't what SD have "learned" because it's incorrect - freemium games live and die on being able to have large stable audiences who will regularly pay a small amount.

Whaling makes your business highly volatile because you become hugely reliant on a small cliquey number of big spenders and if you can't reliably provide them with strong enough differentiators to everyone else they stop spending or leave.

I think the shift we're seeing is because you're entirely right that the playerbase is shrinking. Snap is always going to be kind of niche - it's a rules and interaction heavy card game. For a lot of the interested audience that's going to be fatiguing long term, especially if they have to keep up with weekly changes. Unlearning stuff is way harder than learning it, and it is a burden to remember the most recent version of things, and evaluate how good your board is.

But a shrinking playerbase means less money to pay for their team and costs, and so they react. And you might be right that the easy fertile ground they have is that there are some players with seemingly bottomless pockets, but I think that's poor strategy on their part.

Yeah I mean it's "incorrect" if you want to build a good, sustainable game, but definitely not "incorrect" for seeking short-term gains for your quarterly earnings report. Idk poo poo about SD's operating model, but if they're not seeing playerbase growth then no matter which approach they would like to take, the writing is on the wall and the game is not long for this world. Therefore it's enshittification time, in order to soak the whales for as much as possible as quickly as possible before wile e. coyote looks down and realizes he has already run off the cliff.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Need the technology to turn off steamers voice in Twitch and background music up

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

In the Goose example, if they have only 4/5/6 cards, they can ignore Jean. If you Spidey the lane, they can play wherever they want.

This is incorrect, despite what SD has said the intent may be. You cannot play cards if they jean/goose you and you've only got big Bois.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Pour one out for the card game that died before it's 3rd keyword was ever developed

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quetzadilla posted:

This is incorrect, despite what SD has said the intent may be. You cannot play cards if they jean/goose you and you've only got big Bois.

That was a bug and it has been fixed.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What is the optimal strategy for opening cases now? I don't have series 3 complete, should I open regular caches and wait on collector caches until the cards of the week are ones I want?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

icantfindaname posted:

What is the optimal strategy for opening cases now? I don't have series 3 complete, should I open regular caches and wait on collector caches until the cards of the week are ones I want?
Yes. Save your spotlight caches for 4s and 5s you want open your other caches for pool 3s.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Jedit posted:

That was a bug and it has been fixed.

This was happening to me on Saturday night. The latest patch notes are from Wednesday, and my understanding is OTA updates can only tweak cost/power. Am I missing something here?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

lots of math going around, i remember some folks talking about the following:

If you are below 45% series 4+5 complete, only open sets of caches with 3 cards you don't own.
If you are below 82% series 4+5 complete, only open sets of caches with at least 2 cards you don't own.
Above 82%, always open sets of caches with at least 2 cards you don't own, but be willing to open 1 card sets if you have too many caches.

-----

:edit: forgot to add, that the old pool three rate was one in every four boxes (25%), and that's now been adjusted downwards as well to up to two in every nine boxes (22%) so even in the best case scenario, you're getting less cards.

personally i'm gonna keep the regular boxes unopened (in case hell freezes over and they somehow change these to be better), and i'm only opening spotlights during a week where there are at least two or more cards that i don't own (which should give me a decent chance of getting one of the two that i want) near the end of that week, after other folks have played with the card a bit to figure out if it's decent. this suck, because i know that i might have to open up four to get both, but that's the "benefit" of the new system. i'm skipping every new set where there's only one card i want / need, because the chance of getting something lovely (premium in their eyes) is just too high. if you have enough tokens and it's a must have card (i.e. x23), maybe just pull the trigger by buying from the shop directly....

the battlepass used to be great value because you'd be getting a new card (i.e. nebula, etc.) on top of everything else, and for $10, you could skip having to pay up to 6k? tokens for it but now they're sticking these into the spotlights, only a month or two behind when they're actually released. so if you're trying to not spend / stay free to play, maybe you can even skip those now because you'll get the card in another month or two. hell, they're already doing repeats, with knull coming in again at the end of august.

Last King fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 17, 2023

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Last King posted:

hell, they're already doing repeats, with knull coming in again at the end of august.

lmao what? that's so loving dumb.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Quetzadilla posted:

lmao what? that's so loving dumb.

I think it’s technically the first week of September but yeah it’s scorchingly stupid.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Infinite Karma posted:

The way it works is that if you (both players) have a card in hand they can play in Jean's lane, they have to play one of those cards there before they play anything else.

There might be bugs though, that's what they mean by "if possible"

Important note for playing against Jean: if you can fill up her lane by moving cards (Nightcrawler, Jeff, Vision, etc), that works to bypass her and you can play wherever you want. I assume this also works in reverse, i.e. if you have a movable card already in her lane you're NOT compelled to move it in order to make space to play a card.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Last King posted:

hell, they're already doing repeats, with knull coming in again at the end of august.

It's gross. Knull has already been out for six months. He should have been in P3 two months ago. Despite monkey business keeping him out of that pool, a huge chunk of the player base has him because he's a good card and has been P4 for a long time. Putting him in spotlights, repeatedly, when he's already such a dead draw is player hostile in a way that's become the norm since May.

The most that can be said of it is that Knull fits with August's destroy theme.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Maneck posted:

It's gross. Knull has already been out for six months. He should have been in P3 two months ago. Despite monkey business keeping him out of that pool, a huge chunk of the player base has him because he's a good card and has been P4 for a long time. Putting him in spotlights, repeatedly, when he's already such a dead draw is player hostile in a way that's become the norm since May.

The most that can be said of it is that Knull fits with August's destroy theme.

I agree, and yet I’ll still probably open caches that week, because it’s the first week they’ll actually put Jeff in them.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Cattail Prophet posted:

Important note for playing against Jean: if you can fill up her lane by moving cards (Nightcrawler, Jeff, Vision, etc), that works to bypass her and you can play wherever you want. I assume this also works in reverse, i.e. if you have a movable card already in her lane you're NOT compelled to move it in order to make space to play a card.

If you have a movable card in a full jean lane you can play a card elsewhere then move the movable card. You can't do that in reverse though

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Supposedly the issue with Killmonger killing cards that had their power reduced to 1 has been fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

New Leaf posted:

Congrats!