Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
"Wild claims sourced entirely from one random person on Twitter are almost always bullshit, either unintentionally (maybe they made a mistake) or intentionally (these kinds of "warnings" are practically guaranteed to go viral)."

Oh that's funny, who said this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Main Paineframe posted:

Nobody accused her of making it up to go viral, and nobody except you suggested that maybe it's her fault for missing a checkbox. Additionally, no one is defending Meta here.

Main Paineframe posted:

There's roughly a zillion people who use fake names on social media. I guarantee that if something like what she claims was happening, we would have a lot more people reporting it.

Wild claims sourced entirely from one random person on Twitter are almost always bullshit, either unintentionally (maybe they made a mistake) or intentionally (these kinds of "warnings" are practically guaranteed to go viral).

Hmm.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He did say unintentionally or intentionally.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

He did say unintentionally or intentionally.

And all I want is to extend an assumption of good faith to the sex worker who may have been materially harmed by the design choices of one of the most infamously anti privacy companies that has ever existed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Adenoid Dan posted:

"Wild claims sourced entirely from one random person on Twitter are almost always bullshit, either unintentionally (maybe they made a mistake) or intentionally (these kinds of "warnings" are practically guaranteed to go viral)."

Jumping from that to "This whole thing started with people accusing a sex worker of making this up to go viral" doesn't sound much like assuming good faith.

Personally, I don't really care whether she believes what she's posting. I don't care whose fault it is. I don't care who is evil. What I care about is what the truth actually is, because I am interested in the information that vulnerable people actually need to avoid being in danger. "What specific circumstances lead to Threads doxxing your real name" is an actually loving important question if you're more concerned about helping people avoid doxxing than you are about proclaiming a villain. Spreading unreliable info on the basis of "gently caress it, Meta sucks and I can believe anything about them" isn't actually helpful to anyone.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

Jumping from that to "This whole thing started with people accusing a sex worker of making this up to go viral" doesn't sound much like assuming good faith.

Personally, I don't really care whether she believes what she's posting. I don't care whose fault it is. I don't care who is evil. What I care about is what the truth actually is, because I am interested in the information that vulnerable people actually need to avoid being in danger. "What specific circumstances lead to Threads doxxing your real name" is an actually loving important question if you're more concerned about helping people avoid doxxing than you are about proclaiming a villain. Spreading unreliable info on the basis of "gently caress it, Meta sucks and I can believe anything about them" isn't actually helpful to anyone.

You were not the only or the first to assume bad faith on her part. I just thought it was funny.

Neither you nor I know what happened exactly. So since someone has come forward with real concerns and the company in question has a long track record of violations of privacy, I am going to assume good faith on her part. She is concerned this could happen to other people like her. Good for her! She's looking out for other people who may be harmed!

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Adenoid Dan posted:

In fairness, that is a pretty good position to take in general as 99% of the time it's correct.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Adenoid Dan posted:

You were not the only or the first to assume bad faith on her part. I just thought it was funny.

Neither you nor I know what happened exactly. So since someone has come forward with real concerns and the company in question has a long track record of violations of privacy, I am going to assume good faith on her part. She is concerned this could happen to other people like her. Good for her! She's looking out for other people who may be harmed!

My dude you can support sex workers and assume good faith if you want, it's still important to understand the how of what happened so you can avoid it yourself. The easiest way is to never touch a meta product and avoid it entirely, but not everyone, particularly sex workers who rely on things like meta, twitter, etc, have the option to avoid it or haven't been able to avoid it in the past.

Yeah you can just accept everything that confirms your already held beliefs and never bother to look deeper but that is the way of someone who does end up doing fwd fwd fwd bullshit that does nothing but make it hard to track down verifiable information about the subject of the viral posts.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Beetus posted:

My dude you can support sex workers and assume good faith if you want, it's still important to understand the how of what happened so you can avoid it yourself. The easiest way is to never touch a meta product and avoid it entirely, but not everyone, particularly sex workers who rely on things like meta, twitter, etc, have the option to avoid it or haven't been able to avoid it in the past.

Yeah you can just accept everything that confirms your already held beliefs and never bother to look deeper but that is the way of someone who does end up doing fwd fwd fwd bullshit that does nothing but make it hard to track down verifiable information about the subject of the viral posts.

Ok?

We don't know what happened, we will most likely never know what happened with certainty, we are not going to decide that here.

Also first hand accounts are not fwd fwd fwd bullshit

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 12, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Adenoid Dan posted:

Ok?

We don't know what happened, we will most likely never know what happened with certainty, we are not going to decide that here.

Also first hand accounts are not fwd fwd fwd bullshit

FWD FWD FWD poo poo can easily begin with unreliable first hand accounts. Have you ever seen those posts where it's a screenshot from somewhere and there's some dubious claim being made by someone? Do you accept all of them at face value or just the ones that reinforce your previously held beliefs?

Like I don't give af about Facebook because that ship sailed a long time ago since I was an early .edu adopter. But if the same poo poo were happening with Twitter because of another moronic Elon move, I would want to be able to verify the veracity of the claim in order to know if I should start frantically going through and scrubbing everything I've ever posted with any potential identifying information. If the answer is "oh I had two accounts that got linked because they scoured my data and combined them" it's still a lovely and egregious violation of privacy, but in this case I know I am not at risk of that because I do not have two accounts.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
She is relating something that directly happened to her. It caused harm. There are ways it could have happened, we don't actually know how.

We do know that these companies have a track record of privacy violations and misleading practices that get people to opt in/fail to opt out of various types of tracking.

If you want to say there was something she missed and therefore she could've prevented it, I agree! That's probably what happened! But that does not mean that the site wasn't either negligently designed in a way that allowed people to overlook it or intentionally designed to obscure what was going to happen.

She has a real complaint that is extremely relevant to people like her, and they should be careful. That's it. No reason to paint her as an attention seeking grifter making it up for attention or some exceptionally clueless rube.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Adenoid Dan posted:

She is relating something that directly happened to her. It caused harm. There are ways it could have happened, we don't actually know how.

We do know that these companies have a track record of privacy violations and misleading practices that get people to opt in/fail to opt out of various types of tracking.

If you want to say there was something she missed and therefore she could've prevented it, I agree! That's probably what happened! But that does not mean that the site wasn't either negligently designed in a way that allowed people to overlook it or intentionally designed to obscure what was going to happen.

She has a real complaint that is extremely relevant to people like her, and they should be careful. That's it. No reason to paint her as an attention seeking grifter making it up for attention or some exceptionally clueless rube.

I agree with bolded but I still think it's responsible for people to do at least a bit of due diligence or follow up before slamming a tweet down and going "wow!" Like hey, what's the context here? Are there other clarifying tweets in the thread that have more info? Does she have more to share or is it just the one tweet?

This is like bare minimum poo poo if you want to actually discuss the subject in question rather than just sit around and go "poo poo that's bad" "yeah man real bad Facebook sucks"

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Ok I'll leave it at that since I don't disagree as long as there's an understanding that there's a real person who has reasons to jump to conclusions and act emotionally about something that harmed them (we are all humans, after all).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Adenoid Dan posted:

Ok I'll leave it at that since I don't disagree as long as there's an understanding that there's a real person who has reasons to jump to conclusions and act emotionally about something that harmed them (we are all humans, after all).

100%, absolutely.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Main Paineframe posted:

Nobody accused her of making it up
literally the very next post. come the gently caress on.

Vegetable posted:

That story is almost certainly bogus

Owling Howl posted:

If a random person tweets that they found evidence that Hitler was a pedophile I would want a little more data not because I want to defend Hitler or don't believe him capable of it but because Twitter users encompass a vast group of people who can make mistakes and be wrong or are very dumb or have mental illness or are children or trolls making poo poo up or are paid agents looking to deliberately spread disinformation etc etc

there's a big loving difference between "seeking further information on an accusation" and "immediately reacting with disbelief and seeking to discredit the claimant for an unrelated reason in an attempt to absolve the accused of guilt"

i will give you a hint on what happened in this thread in response to that tweet: it was not the former.

Owling Howl posted:

If it's sufficient evidence for you, I think you'll end up with a lot of false beliefs. If you judge the credibility of a statement on your feelings about the subject you'll re-enforce and solidify your biases in a never-ending spiral towards more and more outlandish claims and conspiracy theories.

go be patronizing somewhere else.

Kith fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 15, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was stating pretty factually that it likely didn’t happen the way she said it did. I didn’t say that she was lying, but don’t let that keep you from grinding whatever axe you appear to have.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

if you don't want to be misunderstood in the future, perhaps you should say what you mean instead of deliberately using ambiguous terms so you don't have to clarify what you """actually meant""" later as part of some lame-rear end gotcha

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Vegetable posted:

I was stating pretty factually that it likely didn’t happen the way she said it did. I didn’t say that she was lying, but don’t let that keep you from grinding whatever axe you appear to have.

There's a difference between saying "They probably linked her accounts through internal mechanisms designed to do so" vs. "That story is almost certainly bogus."

There is a very good chance that she is factually wrong about how it happened, at a technical level. That's immaterial to the discussion, that it happened at all is important, and an indictment of Meta's continued violations of privacy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just realized that Kith abridged Main’s post to say something else altogether. It seems very apropos that this is how a false tweet gets whiteknighted.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Vegetable posted:

I didn’t say that she was lying

Vegetable posted:

a false tweet

drat it really do be like that huh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just casually dropping that the company is failing to some random user

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1680082007873953794

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just casually dropping that the company is failing to some random user

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1680082007873953794

Is this some weird thing where the same way Musk's fans think he's going to save human civilization or whatever, he's expecting some rando fan of his/his fans to save Twitter and his rep or something? Like it's just jaw dropping to me to to like you say just casually drop something like that to whoever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Neo Rasa posted:

Is this some weird thing where the same way Musk's fans think he's going to save human civilization or whatever, he's expecting some rando fan of his/his fans to save Twitter and his rep or something? Like it's just jaw dropping to me to to like you say just casually drop something like that to whoever.

Musk is simultaneously a sociopath, thoroughly poisoned by all the same things that make twitter bad for everyone else, further brainwormed by whatever weird PR bot poo poo he pulls (which includes drawing attention by saying things like this), and frequently high off his gourd.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Telling people stuff they shouldn't know feels awesome. Why do you think so many leaks happen in every context imaginable? It's just satisfying to be in a position of authority telling other people stuff that only you know. Now, usually it's a terrible idea to do so if the health and reputation of your company depends on it, but Musk is an idiot so it doesn't surprise me that he'd prioritize the rush over any kind of self-control.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

Musk is simultaneously a sociopath, thoroughly poisoned by all the same things that make twitter bad for everyone else, further brainwormed by whatever weird PR bot poo poo he pulls (which includes drawing attention by saying things like this), and frequently high off his gourd.

He's also very ignorant and proud of it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Clarste posted:

but Musk is an idiot

good thread title imo

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Kith posted:

good thread title imo
He for sure is, but I like the current title because it was directed at me.

The old fuddy-duddy? Of course I know him, he's me!

More on topic, have to laugh at the folks on the local npr station(s? I get two and switch between them) endorsing Threads and talking about the importance of ground flooring or otherwise not missing out. I know they're media types but I can't help but chafe at the whole hearted acceptance of social media as a modern necessity. The internet made us stupid after all!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

The opposite - he's saying that Twitter is in a crisis that only he can save it from, so people should stop criticizing him, because they don't realize that anything he does that seems stupid or shortsighted is justified by the extreme circumstances.

He doesn't talk to reporters anymore and has a pathological need for approval from random internet people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Glad the reddit posting strike was brutally crushed, ruining the internet for no reason for weeks. Now google works again.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
:wrong:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nonsense posted:

Glad the reddit posting strike was brutally crushed, ruining the internet for no reason for weeks. Now google works again.

A strike that doesn't inconvenience people is an ineffective one.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nonsense posted:

There was never a posting strike. If there were, it wouldn't have been possible to crush it, since Reddit can't exactly force people to post.

There was a mod strike, which is incredibly easy to stop because any power they had came from Reddit in the first place.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is there any way to block instagram ads on my Android phone? Every other post on their is an ad.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

PriorMarcus posted:

Is there any way to block instagram ads on my Android phone? Every other post on their is an ad.

If you mean suggested posts which turn the feed into a bs tiktok lite, Instagram just let's you turn that whole system off in the settings (for 30 days at a time) which is great.

I don't have a solution as far as actual ads go however.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Beartaco posted:

If you mean suggested posts which turn the feed into a bs tiktok lite, Instagram just let's you turn that whole system off in the settings (for 30 days at a time) which is great.

Yeah that doesn’t seem to work. I have it set to hide suggested posts for 18 more days it says but I’m literally looking at a suggested post right now.

E: Just checked and most of my feed are suggested posts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m having the exact same experience.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Facebook has turned into this also recently... My feed is easily 70% ads and "suggested" posts.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Neorxenawang posted:

Facebook has turned into this also recently... My feed is easily 70% ads and "suggested" posts.

And about a quarter of the ads are for obvious scam sites with impossibly cheap stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So the same as the ads I'm seeing on Twitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah that doesn’t seem to work. I have it set to hide suggested posts for 18 more days it says but I’m literally looking at a suggested post right now.

So this is what happens for me when I've scrolled past all the new posts from users that I follow. Once I'm past all the posts I haven't viewed, there's an inline "show older posts" prompt and if I scroll from there it's all mindless recommended garbage.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 17, 2023