Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know, that's why I added the bit about Volition, the literal sanity skill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Volition is also known to be fallible via the confrontation with Klassje though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Brosnan posted:

Volition is also known to be fallible via the confrontation with Klassje though.

Volition at the least knows they are also compromised, they can't be sure how much because Klassje is in a different league.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
uhh what are you talking about

If you fail that particular active check, Volition doesn't chime in at all because the other skills are successfully drowning it out, which I'm pretty sure is the only check in the game that works like that. If anything it's a testament to Volition's reliability.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC Volition gets a little salty for a bit after after the check, almost like he's overcompensating in the other direction, but by the end of the conversation he's back to normal

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

If you fail that particular active check, Volition doesn't chime in at all because the other skills are successfully drowning it out, which I'm pretty sure is the only check in the game that works like that. If anything it's a testament to Volition's reliability.

volition is so irate at klassje’s manipulations that it tilts too far in the other direction and dismisses everything she says outright. it backs off and lets you make your own call at the final moment, but that whole encounter throws its calibration out of whack in a way that doesn’t really happen anywhere else

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Oxxidation posted:

volition is so irate at klassje’s manipulations that it tilts too far in the other direction and dismisses everything she says outright. it backs off and lets you make your own call at the final moment, but that whole encounter throws its calibration out of whack in a way that doesn’t really happen anywhere else

It really speaks to Volition when they tell you "Don't over correct, arresting her might be a mistake"(paraphrased) as in it would be the wrong(morally and materially) thing to do.

I took that to heart.

e:
The description to Volition is "Hold yourself together, keep your morale up" I also associated it with the idea of mastering yourself.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 13, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was fun trying to interpret each portrait based on where the skill comes into play, and how it acts. Volition looks like it's melting away to me, with the crown representing your will being the only solid thing that remains.

Composure didn't come together until I looked at it like a fella in profile with his back against a wall, i.e. a situation where you'd need that skill.

savoir faire scares the poo poo out of me and i don't know what it is

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 14, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
It's a man with four additional pairs of arms instead of a head. Multitasking and smoothly acting without thought.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

CJacobs posted:

It was fun trying to interpret each portrait based on where the skill comes into play, and how it acts. Volition looks like it's melting away to me, with the crown representing your will being the only solid thing that remains.

Composure didn't come together until I looked at it like a fella in profile with his back against a wall, i.e. a situation where you'd need that skill.

savoir faire scares the poo poo out of me and i don't know what it is

Skill portraits are based off characters, too. Half Light is Cuno, Composure is an unused image of Kim.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Idk what Rhetoric is supposed to look like but on the Switch's tiny rear end screen he just looks like a dude who's really into deep throating

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

rhetoric is cleaning out the rooms, half light is pushing in the back walls (this is a thought cabinet joke so you may not understand it)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Killingyouguy! posted:

Idk what Rhetoric is supposed to look like but on the Switch's tiny rear end screen he just looks like a dude who's really into deep throating

He's a bald dude with his eyes closed and hands in a position of worshipful supplication, with gold (honeyed words) pouring from his mouth

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Angry Diplomat posted:

He's a bald dude with his eyes closed and hands in a position of worshipful supplication, with gold (honeyed words) pouring from his mouth

I always read the mouth object as a note or page, and the overall image as a man literally eating (his/someone's) words rather than them pouring out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Hah. Just like the first Innocent.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's a man with four additional pairs of arms instead of a head. Multitasking and smoothly acting without thought.

Oooh, very clever.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Skill portraits are based off characters, too. Half Light is Cuno, Composure is an unused image of Kim.

Noticed this with Empathy and Dolores Dei and it's very cool.

Perception kinda reminds me of the Paledriver

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 14, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oh, nice. The connection being that the Paledriver can Perceive so hard she's looking at stuff from entirely different times and places?

More simply it's just a head with stuff streaming into the various sensory orifices

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Half-Light is still probably my favorite, as it is indeed flight and fight split in half. Just a really great, representative image. Also explains why it's such a psycho, it is cognitive dissonance made real.

edit: Quick, post your favorite Skill. Drama is another of mine because somehow you can always and never trust it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 14, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am very fond of Volition; normally the straight man isn't my favorite, but one that has to keep 24 clowns in check all on their own has my respect. Plus I really like how it's the one skill that immediately clocks what is going on with the Deserter.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Plus I really like how it's the one skill that immediately clocks what is going on with the Deserter.

But that's Inland Empire :)

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I got this game last week and it’s loving incredible. I was aware of it but I hadn’t realised how immersed in New Weird lit it is, which is great because that’s pretty much my favourite sub genre.

Irritatingly though I think I’ve hit a soft lock. I need a Logic check to progress with Titus, I don’t think there’s enough XP available from other tasks right now to get another skill-point and in any case I’ve hit my skill cap. I think I got my dice set too early. Is save-scumming the only way here?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

you can find other things to reopen the check, I highly doubt you've found them all. or you can smoke a cigarette to temporarily increase your int, and therefore your int skill learning caps, and level logic during that effect. also if you fail either check against titus three times, kim will bail you out on the third

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

World War Mammories posted:

you can find other things to reopen the check, I highly doubt you've found them all. or you can smoke a cigarette to temporarily increase your int, and therefore your int skill learning caps, and level logic during that effect. also if you fail either check against titus three times, kim will bail you out on the third

My problem is that I can’t find enough XP to level…

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

is it still tuesday? the water lock gets fixed on wednesday and I sincerely doubt you have exhausted everything on that side of the map

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
You don't need to gain a level, you can gain a level or otherwise get a bonus to the roll through other dialogue. I'm also pretty sure you can continue the game regardless. The only potential soft lock is a very important Shivers check a bit out from where you're at.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

you do need to pass that check - the full list of plot-required actions is

titus authority check
titus logic check
confront klaasje, doorgunner megamix
get key to shack from washerwoman, investigate it
shivers check at feld
phys instrument or savoir faire check at feld to actually enter the building
confront ruby
tribunal
go to island

but as mentioned, kim will bail you out on either titus check if you fail it thrice. it is possible to softlock if you somehow find *every* bonus to one of those checks *and* cap on the skill such that you can only try it twice *and* fail them both, in addition to a few other cases, but that is almost certainly not the case here

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You are absolutely not locked out of that particular check; white checks also unlock whenever you find a modifier, and I guarantee you haven't found all of them. You can blow through all of Titus' checks by rolling box cars, but you're not supposed to, the game wants you to get stonewalled and spend time doing other poo poo.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Harry has his ledger, similar to Kim's I assume, was his personal issues the only reason he decided to give it up?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

World War Mammories posted:

you do need to pass that check - the full list of plot-required actions is

titus authority check
titus logic check
confront klaasje, doorgunner megamix
get key to shack from washerwoman, investigate it
shivers check at feld
phys instrument or savoir faire check at feld to actually enter the building
confront ruby
tribunal
go to island

but as mentioned, kim will bail you out on either titus check if you fail it thrice. it is possible to softlock if you somehow find *every* bonus to one of those checks *and* cap on the skill such that you can only try it twice *and* fail them both, in addition to a few other cases, but that is almost certainly not the case here

You can also tell titus to shove the tape up his rear end and get the equivalent information from Klassje instead with tacit Half Light approval

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

It’s Friday. I have tasks around the church subplot, but those are all locked white checks too. I think I can kill time by reading books repeatedly until I can shake Kim, then go and revisit Klaasje. Maybe that will shake something loose.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

KORNOLOGY posted:

Harry has his ledger, similar to Kim's I assume, was his personal issues the only reason he decided to give it up?

Two personal issues, he doesn't want to do the work anymore because he's overwhelmed with it all and the thing about his wife.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

There is no way he's done.

He's the new Columbo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally getting stuck into Sacred and Terrible Air and really digging it. The only thing I wanna ask about : so ZA/UM in the actual universe is what, a mind-meld process of some kind? And Tereesz is addicted to it? how you get addicted to mind-melding w/ motherfuckers

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Escobarbarian posted:

Finally getting stuck into Sacred and Terrible Air and really digging it. The only thing I wanna ask about : so ZA/UM in the actual universe is what, a mind-meld process of some kind? And Tereesz is addicted to it? how you get addicted to mind-melding w/ motherfuckers

Going by what Khan says about it, it's a mind meld process fueled by hella drugs.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Escobarbarian posted:

My interpretation of it:

ZA/UM is basically the dream machine from Inception. You hook up the interrogator and the subject and the interrogator is able to see into the subject's mind, instead of them both sharing the same dream world per se. The Interrogator isn't really able to interact or influence what they see beyond leading the subject with questions and pushing for the information to effectively just be "loaded" into active memory when they think of it. The caveat being that instead of just being a LAN and using drugs to keep people asleep to prolong the shared dream, the drugs are far more intense, akin to a shared LSD trip or K-hole.

Tereesz, given how he used it, might not be addicted to the drugs themselves, but the power it gives him over "evil people". We're not really told how ZA/UM is supposed to be used, but it seems that due to needing an extreme level of red-tape navigated through it seems that it's very dangerous for both user and subject. For admissible evidence I'm sure there are a long series of steps designed to ensure that the proper memories are viewed and not damaged after retrieval. Tereesz however seems to bash into the subject's mind and rips and tears away at them literally digging through the memories and thoughts till he finds what he think's he's looking for.

I forget the first subject's name, but it's the "philosopher/pedo" guy who talked about the eskimo-esque people driving through the pale on dog sleds. The language used made it seem like he literally killed the dudes mind by using it/killed him through ripping through his memory. Which is why he was initially arrested even aside from using a heavily restricted technology. With the Linoleum Salesman it's similar but the dude's mind was so warped from dementia it was hard to even find what he was looking for and probably had little effect because the mind was already so damaged.

The other problem with ZA/UM is that the user seems to take the place of the subject in the memories, like they're remembering the event first hand instead of just watching it as a separate observer. So the proper use should involve minimizing how much potential damage the user is exposed to while using ZA/UM and Tereesz also ignores that in favor of quickly and brutally driving for the information he wants. So on top of the effect of the drugs he's also taking on an unfiltered psyche blast from terrible people he has to process once out of the trip.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Looking at more portraits just to spitball some fun connections... Reaction Speed reads as Trant Heidelstam to me.

His portrait comes across as turning to meet you, like you've caught him off guard but he already has a response prepared. Meanwhile Reaction Speed's head is on a swivel. Special Consultant Backpedal is that you?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

CJacobs posted:

Looking at more portraits just to spitball some fun connections... Reaction Speed reads as Trant Heidelstam to me.

His portrait comes across as turning to meet you, like you've caught him off guard but he already has a response prepared. Meanwhile Reaction Speed's head is on a swivel. Special Consultant Backpedal is that you?

we'll never get the intricately modeled stick-fighting scene

such an rpg character detail. "my main contribution to the party is my maxed-out encyclopedia score, but i also spend 8 hours a day practicing a martial art centered around a weapon with the 'reach' attribute"

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

those monsters are going to loving regret getting with 10 ft of a fence now that I know how to bait their movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the dice maker is my friend