Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shen
Jan 22, 2006

for the selection committee: mine would be a laissez-faire captaincy. also: do we have any shuttlepods and is there a schedule to sign them out to be hotboxed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

shen posted:

for the selection committee: mine would be a laissez-faire captaincy. also: do we have any shuttlepods and is there a schedule to sign them out to be hotboxed?

There are four shuttlepods and as Captain you could sign them out as you like.

shen
Jan 22, 2006

in that case I would be happy to be the human face announcing the unpopular decisions our shipboard a.i./mission control will be making for us.

I'll be inspecting shuttlepod 1 for space-worthiness and internal ventilation control if anyone needs me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

shen posted:

in that case I would be happy to be the human face announcing the unpopular decisions our shipboard a.i./mission control will be making for us.

I'll be inspecting shuttlepod 1 for space-worthiness and internal ventilation control if anyone needs me.

Understood.

Just FYI though Captain, weed is legal on board.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm bringing a lifetime of doom wads to play coop during the entire trip.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm bringing a lifetime of doom wads to play coop during the entire trip.

We'll still have full internet access. Just delayed.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

redshirt posted:

Why would there be any guns? There are no aliens out there, no hostile others.

Maybe the Captain/Second have access to a gun in case of some crazy situation, but that would be highly controlled.

Let me see the gun.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

Let me see the gun.

It's in a safe and you are not Number One.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I just want to hold it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

I just want to hold it

It requires both the Captain and Vice Captain override code

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Any pets on board? Goldfish, bettas, hamsters, cats, dogs, budgies...
If not do we have vermin of any sort?
Cockroach races?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xlorp posted:

Any pets on board? Goldfish, bettas, hamsters, cats, dogs, budgies...
If not do we have vermin of any sort?
Cockroach races?
You tell me. Would a cat work? 2 cats?

I'd think a dog would be too much.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

redshirt posted:

You tell me. Would a cat work? 2 cats?

I'd think a dog would be too much.

Two cats would actively seek out and destroy bugs and assorted vermin. Officer rank of course.
Plus they look hilarious in zero-g

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Xlorp posted:

Two cats would actively seek out and destroy bugs and assorted vermin. Officer rank of course.
Plus they look hilarious in zero-g

First, there should be no bugs.

Second, it's 1G in the habitat ring, where we and the cat(s) would live. In the central core it can be close to 0G.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

when I point the scanner at the captains head im not detecting any lifeforms

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

mst4k posted:

when I point the scanner at the captains head im not detecting any lifeforms

Just because the smell lingers like a thing alive doesn't mean the facilities are occupied. Just check to make sure it was flushed and add another deoderizer tree

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

redshirt posted:

It requires both the Captain and Vice Captain override code

I think everyone here agrees we should at least pop off a few rounds into space just to see what happens.

shen
Jan 22, 2006

shuttlepod 1 is in fine working operation. yeah who wants do a spacewalk and set up some bottles or something on the outer ring for target practice, just make sure you're facing backwards with your feet planted so the bullets make us go a little faster.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

shen posted:

shuttlepod 1 is in fine working operation. yeah who wants do a spacewalk and set up some bottles or something on the outer ring for target practice, just make sure you're facing backwards with your feet planted so the bullets make us go a little faster.

This is why you're the Captain, Cap'n.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

can i have a gun, too? i think they'r;e pretty cool.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

For reference, the ship will look something like this:

With 1G gravity or close to it in the spinning rings, and most systems/storage in the inner core.

I literally have the book that uses this painting as its cover art sitting on my night stand about eight inches from my right shoulder right this exact second.

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. Science fiction, but the kind that is all actual science. Fantastic book. I'm 148 pages into it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BigHead posted:

I literally have the book that uses this painting as its cover art sitting on my night stand about eight inches from my right shoulder right this exact second.

Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. Science fiction, but the kind that is all actual science. Fantastic book. I'm 148 pages into it.

I love it. One of the books where I finished it, then started it again directly.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

This is why you're the Captain, Cap'n.

Wait if shen is the Cap’n who are you?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Wait if shen is the Cap’n who are you?

3rd shift junior engineer

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Spending time in a pressurised enclosed space with 32 other people accumulating 8 years worth of farts ain't gonna be fun.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tigey posted:

Spending time in a pressurised enclosed space with 32 other people accumulating 8 years worth of farts ain't gonna be fun.

You got something better going on?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tigey posted:

It's a big ship with proper ventilation.

You could hang out in one of the greenhouses after your work shift.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

As the botanist I've been spending a lot of time fancying-up the greenhouses. The fungus vats mostly do their own thing, so I've been keeping an eye on them while working on the morale-boosting ornamental garden. There's a lot of bees in there so please make sure to observe airlock protocol at all times.

I've also been working on setting up a habitat pod for the guinea pigs. The timothy hay bed has established nicely and the dandelions have started to sprout, but I'm having trouble sewing the tiny shipsuits for the guinea pigs and would appreciate some assistance.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

As the botanist I've been spending a lot of time fancying-up the greenhouses. The fungus vats mostly do their own thing, so I've been keeping an eye on them while working on the morale-boosting ornamental garden. There's a lot of bees in there so please make sure to observe airlock protocol at all times.

I've also been working on setting up a habitat pod for the guinea pigs. The timothy hay bed has established nicely and the dandelions have started to sprout, but I'm having trouble sewing the tiny shipsuits for the guinea pigs and would appreciate some assistance.

Thank you for your service. Not only does botany provide wonderful food, but the various plants in hallways, conference rooms, and offices really provide a positive vibe. Thanks!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

redshirt posted:

Thank you for your service. Not only does botany provide wonderful food, but the various plants in hallways, conference rooms, and offices really provide a positive vibe. Thanks!

I try, I really do. It's a tough job but someone's got to water the plants and give them a quarter turn once a week! There's a hoya in the smaller lunch room that's going to be flowering soon.

As for the guinea pigs, I've only managed to get a few shipsuits ready but they look so great in them! I've been taking this little guy with me as I do the rounds. Say hi to Potato, everyone!

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Rules rules rules. Its like the gat drat 4th Stimpire up in here.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I've just rerouted the excess ventilated gas from waste treatment to propulsion so that not only will we now get to Callisto faster but we'll be doing so on our own farts

shen
Jan 22, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

I try, I really do. It's a tough job but someone's got to water the plants and give them a quarter turn once a week! There's a hoya in the smaller lunch room that's going to be flowering soon.

As for the guinea pigs, I've only managed to get a few shipsuits ready but they look so great in them! I've been taking this little guy with me as I do the rounds. Say hi to Potato, everyone!
all discretional ship resources should now be directed toward designing guinea pig shipsuits for every potential environmental condition

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You know we are also eating the guinea pigs, sir?

shen
Jan 22, 2006

what

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Where did you think the meat from Taco Fridays came from??

shen
Jan 22, 2006

Buce posted:

can i have a gun, too? i think they'r;e pretty cool.

volunteering for spacewalk target practice? we still need a vice-captain to turn the other key to unlock the ship's piece. you can have 2 mags and also some empty bottles or jars from the kitchen.

redshirt posted:

Where did you think the meat from Taco Fridays came from??

i am going to edit my ship profile's meal preference options and then inspect shuttlepod 2.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

redshirt posted:

You know we are also eating the guinea pigs, sir?

I've actually been sending the skinny pigs to the recycler because they're way less cute than a regular guinea pig, and also there's less fur clogging up the protein strainer. The regular piggies are just fine.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could stop breaking into the fungus vats in search of psychedelic mushrooms. We've been working on getting a self-sustaining colony of psiloscybins up and running but it takes time! You won't like what happens to you if you get into the output from the fungus vats before it's been processed into tankbeef. Like, you won't die, and you won't wish you had, but still, not a good time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

I've actually been sending the skinny pigs to the recycler because they're way less cute than a regular guinea pig, and also there's less fur clogging up the protein strainer. The regular piggies are just fine.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could stop breaking into the fungus vats in search of psychedelic mushrooms. We've been working on getting a self-sustaining colony of psiloscybins up and running but it takes time! You won't like what happens to you if you get into the output from the fungus vats before it's been processed into tankbeef. Like, you won't die, and you won't wish you had, but still, not a good time.

Protein is protein!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I feel like having strong hallucinogenics on a long space flight is probably a bad idea?