Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I’ll be contrarian as I do feel like 31 challenges are too many—while it’s all optional, I anticipate quite a few less prolific challenge posters or new people who might otherwise try for their first October seeing that and either noping out right away or burning out quickly, or, worst of all, finishing all of it but not having a good time watching horror movies.

Along with that, with so many challenges are a good chunk of them just going to be so open ended that they won’t actually encourage you to seek out something you might not have watched? Is it just a bunch of checkboxes you can fit stuff you were going to watch anyway into? Then we reach a “what’s the point” phase for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is there a Halloweenish number that is between 13 and 31? As dumb as it sounds that's one of the reasons I had a hard time coming off 31 because it just feels appropriate for a Halloween challenge. And I do feel like 13 may just not be enough.

I dunno I'm certainly open to the idea of doing less than 31, it would mean less work.

The challenges really are supposed to be a secondary thing though, the main reason to do the challenge is to watch 31 movies that you want to watch and then post about them and read other people's write-ups about the stuff they watch. That's what the challenge was in the beginning and it's always gotta be the core of why we do this thing.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 17, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mover posted:

I’ll be contrarian as I do feel like 31 challenges are too many—while it’s all optional, I anticipate quite a few less prolific challenge posters or new people who might otherwise try for their first October seeing that and either noping out right away or burning out quickly, or, worst of all, finishing all of it but not having a good time watching horror movies.

Along with that, with so many challenges are a good chunk of them just going to be so open ended that they won’t actually encourage you to seek out something you might not have watched? Is it just a bunch of checkboxes you can fit stuff you were going to watch anyway into? Then we reach a “what’s the point” phase for me.

If you look back at previous challenges i think there’s a decent balance of ones that are steering you in a specific direction, like for example a particular country or era, and broader challenges. Like a challenge that is based on picking a film with a specific word in the title, that could go in a thousand different directions but regardless the chances are you are watching something you wouldn’t have picked otherwise.

A lot of them are just super creative and fun so IMO I don’t see how more challenges would deter anyone. For people that like the challenges they have more to enjoy, for people who only do some challenges they have more options.

I would just make it clear that nobody has to do all the challenges and have some sort of tier system to reward you if you only do a few.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Basebf555 posted:

Is there a Halloweenish number that is between 13 and 31? As dumb as it sounds that's one of the reasons I had a hard time coming off 31 because it just feels appropriate for a Halloween challenge. And I do feel like 13 may just not be enough.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Bogus Adventure posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Funhouse? It's a cheesy film about influencers having to survive to win that I thought was a Squid Game ripoff, but it turns out it was actually released before it (lol)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6852534/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v-EvPnOGxE

Nope, turns out it was this movie, haha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7dofHBCfzo

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That movie wasn't very good, but I really loved the poster:

It's definitely not good, but it's good enough if you want to see annoying people die in gruesome ways. Although, the "pinata" killing scene was pretty great.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Lol, gotta see this

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

That is the stupidest loving title ever, it belongs in a museum

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://youtu.be/MtANgRbXWhY

loving come on. Maybe it’s just me, but this reads as fascination with jigsaw instead of vampires

There’s even a shot of a scythe

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Ambitious Spider posted:

https://youtu.be/MtANgRbXWhY

loving come on. Maybe it’s just me, but this reads as fascination with jigsaw instead of vampires

There’s even a shot of a scythe

I mean I'll give it a shot. Sure.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lol that person on the thumbnail :pwn:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol, gotta see this

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

Every movie with a mystery in it should have the equivalent of The Werewolf Break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipkfNqjncRA

Bring back fake audience participation IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJjK9njAwu0

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol, gotta see this

Ah, ok! I kept thinking this was Influencer and I didn't get why people kept saying it was good

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
‘What if Stephen King’s alcoholism gave his characters rhinophyma?’

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would like to start streaming random movies on the cined server sometime. I might start with this

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I would like to start streaming random movies on the cined server sometime. I might start with this

Do it! Feel free to promote the stream in the appropriate threads and/or start your own thread too.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This may be an old debate but whatever. I hate art the clown from terrifier and & 2. He’s way too misogynistic and brutal to women for me to find him funny. His goofy scenes are undercut by how absolutely brutal and awful he is. It’s like if the funny games killers were delightful protagonists. I don’t like it. I get the joke. I do. I love horror movies. Art just feels like something else. Like the internet shock image has lead to this. No judgment on people who like it. I get how it’s entertaining. I dunno. I’m a hypocrite because all horror villains are brutally killing people. Art just feels like he’s more about witnessing suffering than witnessing a creative kill.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

he likes to make people suffer but his body count is pretty open in 2 and he never kills anyone for their gender.

I love art.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

art coming back with salt and bleach to rub on exposed flesh is the funniest joke of 2022

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

he likes to make people suffer but his body count is pretty open in 2 and he never kills anyone for their gender.

I love art.

I am okay with you loving art but I disagree. First movie he is brutalizing women. Second his worst kills are on women. It’s weird to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think theres a difference between women victims and victims because they're women.

And the reason for me is that, well, you make a movie you want to have a cast that isn't just straight white guys. Right? But if you're making a slasher, you have to have the kills. And because the genre is about the excess, you want to go big. So if the issue is he cast a lot of women and kills them brutally, this is bad. But if he just makes them all white and straight, this is ok...which I guess but then you're just making more white movies lol.

To me the second one is just so over the top that it's just a straight comedy. None of the women are terrible or deserve to die. they all have a little bit to them, which maybe is a bit of a detriment because the film is so drat long. But you can tell he went okay, people thought this about the first, so let me just give them a little something before they die.

Even the mom who is sorta played as the mean, angry mom, is kind of funny and fun and honestly right, and does get a really nice sweet moment right before she dies.

No one in the film gets what they deserve, which is interesting.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Funhouse? It's a cheesy film about influencers having to survive to win that I thought was a Squid Game ripoff, but it turns out it was actually released before it (lol)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6852534/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v-EvPnOGxE

I actually liked Funhouse. There's also Death Count.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12338246/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RifbOdzq3AI

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it reminds me of people calling halloween kills and michael myers homophobic and racist because he killed poc and gay people...but its like...david gordon green tends to cast decently diverse. They were just rhe characters that died.

Its not like puppet master whatever where the villains explicitly attack and kill minorities.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don’t think diversity of murder victims is necessarily the diversity we’re going for. I guess that’s a relative idea in horror where more often than not your cast is gonna end up dead. But I think (having not seen any Terrifier so speaking more broadly) the difference with slashers is generally their victims tend to be shallow characters that the movie isn’t focused on as protagonists. So if you cast a bunch of women or poc or whatever you’re sending a different message if they’re fuller characters and protagonists than if they’re murder victims lining up for the star of the show.

I dunno. Again, haven’t seen the clown. I don’t think I’d like it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Missing some of these :(

IT, ?, Shawshank, Dead Zone, Pet Sematary
?(The Mist??), Stand By Me, Carrie, Green Mile, Salem's Lot
Creepshow, ?(Flagg from The Stand?) Cujo, Thinner, Shining
Cell(?), Misery, Cristine, Firestarter, Silver Bullet

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m not going to say terrifer 2 is an exceptionally written script with very well rounded characters

But he does try. He tries put something in most of the main girls that isn’t just meat to be displayed with nudity and blood.

I’m actually not sure if there is much nudity besides a few scenes but i think those scenes were the main character who has a ton of work put into her

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

i think 2nd left in the top row is Revival

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Takes No Damage posted:

Top row is Isaac from Children of the Corn I’m pretty sure.

Is there some character or meme that the design is using with the red nosed boy? I don’t get if it’s a thing or just a random artists art idea.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also who doesn’t want to be in a slasher and get a great death. The bts scene for the big t2 murder everyone is having a decent time despite being in a cold lovely basement in the middle of a pandemic lmao

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Robert Lieberman, director of Fire in the Sky, has passed away at age 75 :(

Fire in the Sky is one of the few movies to truly frighten me, all down to that one sequence.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

So like our gold standard of modern evil horror that hates its victims is puppet master littlest reich. Tons of brutal kills in minorities and completely ignores the lore of the puppets, inverting them from being made by a victim of Nazis to actually being nazis.

Art is nowhere near that level. Some of his kills in the first movie seem focused on the sex of the victim. That’s a context that carries into the second movie. I don’t have an exact count but his most brutal kills are toward women. I don’t think the movie is sexist. I don’t think the director is sexist. I do think the movie is uncomfortable for me as a big horror fan and especially the idea of seeing this character as fun.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Basebf555 posted:

Is there a Halloweenish number that is between 13 and 31?

Honestly, that's not a bad idea. Granted it's not that many more than 13, but 18 split 3 ways could give you;
6 rewatches,
6 new-to-you, and
6 meta categories.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Also who doesn’t want to be in a slasher and get a great death. The bts scene for the big t2 murder everyone is having a decent time despite being in a cold lovely basement in the middle of a pandemic lmao

yeah this. a good gory kill in a horror movie is the highest honor!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fr0id posted:

This may be an old debate but whatever. I hate art the clown from terrifier and & 2. He’s way too misogynistic and brutal to women for me to find him funny. His goofy scenes are undercut by how absolutely brutal and awful he is. It’s like if the funny games killers were delightful protagonists. I don’t like it. I get the joke. I do. I love horror movies. Art just feels like something else. Like the internet shock image has lead to this. No judgment on people who like it. I get how it’s entertaining. I dunno. I’m a hypocrite because all horror villains are brutally killing people. Art just feels like he’s more about witnessing suffering than witnessing a creative kill.

I think the main problem is that it lays it a little too bare how lame and played out the slasher concept is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MrGreenShirt posted:

Honestly, that's not a bad idea. Granted it's not that many more than 13, but 18 split 3 ways could give you;
6 rewatches,
6 new-to-you, and
6 meta categories

The key there would seem to be the meta categories. If everyone of them was like 5-6 movies then that’s roughly 30 movies itself. There’s be crossover with each other and the other 12 so it might stop run under 31 but it could potentially be more than 31 movies.

I actually like that. It gives the player a lot of wiggle room to work in their planned films and pull combo movies. You could also theoretically convert a lot of the simpler challenges to meta challenges. Like instead of “watch a vampire film” or “watch a werewolf” film you could have “watch 6 films with classic horror monsters” or something.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Why are we worried about new people getting scared off by the total number of challenges? It’s already a tiered system and they could just pick a smaller goal, couldn’t they?

Like last year loads of people were just bopping in to do 13 movies, and maybe they’d throw in a single spooky bingo. Yeah there were also a bunch of people who filled out the whole card or watched 60+, but how does having a bunch of people having fun with a game make it less attractive?

If we’re trying to be more inviting, maybe we should instead add a tier under 13. If you’re trying to make it easier to go up a ladder, you don’t cut off the top half, you add a rung to the bottom.

If we lower the number from 31, that means us psychopaths who were looking forward to that don’t get as many challenges. We’d be making our game less fun to make it more inviting to hypothetical newcomers who were scared off by the people playing the game a lot.

I’m not trying to be rude but that makes precisely zero sense to me.

(That being said, I’m obviously just some schmuck and I don’t want to give a speech about how much work other people should do for me. This is kibitzing in its purest form.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MrGreenShirt posted:

6 rewatches,
6 new-to-you, and
6 meta categories.

That's actually not a bad idea. I mean I would go for that. I mean that is still 18 movies.

I'm not sure who is doing the horror thread this year but I'll try and suggest it. What's your definition of Meta Categories?

Queer Horror
Black and White
POC
Feminist

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

[quote="Hollismason" post="533268123"]
That's actually not a bad idea. I mean I would go for that. I mean that is still 18 movies.

I'm not sure who is doing the horror thread this year but I'll try and suggest it. What's your definition of Meta Categories?

Queer Horror
Black and White
POC
Feminist
Most of those categories are about minority y groups so do you mean black and white as a racial thing or as old and white as horror? Both are good categories but I’m just asking. I would also add:

Grindhouse
Fancy horror (eg exorcist or changling)
Slasher
Scifi horror
Giant monster horror
Social horror (eg the original body snatchers movie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The most common Meta categories in these things is usually “watch movies from X decades/countries”. They’re simple but I like that they very easily push you out of just watching everything from the same era or place. But also probably could be skipped for ones with more character.

I think a POC one would be great since so often seeing that as one movie in a challenge feels weird to me. Picking out a single movie starring non white people feels like it says so much. So I’d love a meta challenge that meant seeking out a deeper pool. And there’s plenty of options especially once you open up Asians films.

Queer horror the same. In some ways that field maybe feels a bit smaller but with all the Hayes Code stuff maybe not. I dunno. It’s a pool I’d definitely welcome diving into.

Same with like feminist/women films. I just personally prefer these categories that expand the viewpoints of horror to something like “slasher” that is well treaded territory. Although I also hate slashers so…

In terms of challenges/categories we don’t like that always come up? We don’t need Video Nasties. Every horror challenge does them. There’s not actually that many quality movies on the list. At some point you’re just watching dreck. I’d vote against Video Nasties.