Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Did 1 last pull for Pela on the banner. I'm exactly at hard pity for a 4 star so I'm guaranteed something useful. I get Swordplay S4. :) Dan Heng will enjoy that.

facepalmolive posted:

Ummm yeah so that's what I'm trying to figure out. My Welt's E0 so maybe I shouldn't even bother building him main DPS until at least E1, and I'm just trying to force him too hard.

The other thing is I haven't started farming relics yet. So everyone's on Musketeer right now, whereas Welt could really use the crit stats from the imaginary set.

Yeah, E0 Welt is better as a utility debuffer I think.

It feels like you have too much defense shred on your first team with Pela and SW together. I still don't have Pela so it's just an intuition.

My relics suck rear end still as well. At least I have a 2 piece Musketeer/2 piece Wastelander for Welt.

Maybe try building Dan Heng? He synergises well with Welt and Asta/Tingyun and might ge the piece you're missing. Or just pull Blade. :)

Double Calyx have been good to me today. Managed to get 2 levels on Dan Heng's skill, 1 each on his talent and ult, and I was able to fill out his A2 and side traces. I also had enough credits to get him to 63. All of this alone and the extra Swordplay knocked 4 cycles off MoC 1. I managed to finish it with 32 left.

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

wish SU resets was on sunday

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

:same:

Having nothing to do but grind calyx all weekend is painful. Maybe I need to stop doing SU after work. At least I have 5-3 and 6-3 to try to knock out.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Largely trash substats, aside from those goggles, but finally have Himeko at a starting state.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

In hindsight it was foolish of me to believe that completing the base MOC would let me see the Messenger's face.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Hypocrisy posted:

In hindsight it was foolish of me to believe that completing the base MOC would let me see the Messenger's face.

oh great it's tali'zorah all over again

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Given she worships Fuli and turned herself into living memetic information or whatever there’s a non-zero chance that is her face.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Lazy_Liberal posted:

oh great it's tali'zorah all over again

will we get a lovely stock photo as the messenger's face

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The great thing about being worried about powercreep is it means you stick with your starting characters, never pull for anything and hope that whatever comes out in 3 years is your dream team.

Or you can just pull right now for the characters you think are "neat", slap them into a team and enjoy the game. Either way you'll be happy.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
If it's like Genshin Impact, DPS units will occasionally be directly power crept, some new mechanic or support or even just understanding of the game might come out and both raise the power level and shuffle a lot around, and supports will be somewhere between "no total power creep but some niche stealing" and "lol they made Asta too strong and now that people have figured her out she's uncreepable." (Asta chosen semi-at-random. She and Qingque both give out some "someone's going to figure out how to take them from good to broken" vibes.)

If it's like Honkai Impact, there will be more power creep but honestly not that bad---that game has had five years of power creep and while everyone from the seemingly intended triple dps meta at the start of the game is dead, there's units from the second year that are still relevant on occasion. Even some of the units that HAVE been power crept come close enough to say gently caress it, I do just fine on ice stuff with Haxxor Bunny (Silver Wolf) instead of Sushang all the time. And actually aside from one character who was for a while THE support for all elements, everyone I can think of who got completely power crept instead of boxxed into a niche was farmable.

So I guess in that case, March, Dan, Asta, Herta, and Trailblazer should maybe watch out?

TL;DR roll for and use who you want, we can't quite predict power creep but even if it does happen, it's likely to be minor enough that sticking with the new #2 character for a role is fine.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

The three companion quests don't go away or lose any of the rewards with the next patch right? At least I haven't noticed any of their announcements saying so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they don't, companion quests are permanent

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Companion quests should be permanent, but Silver Wolf's was also attached to a mini-event when it came out. Which I believe is already over?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Companion quests should be permanent, but Silver Wolf's was also attached to a mini-event when it came out. Which I believe is already over?

the mini event is over, but her actual companion quest will stay in the game

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I really didn't want to rush through and skip dialogue so thats good to hear

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I beat the mother loving Deer! No stars because Quinque died, but it's dead! I think I can squeeze a star out now that I know I can survive the deer's ult in the second phase.

Teams were Serval/Tingyun/Welt/Gepard and Sushang/Quinque/Silver Wolf/Luocha.

Serval was necessary for the robots in the first half. Dan Heng isn't able to focus them down fast enough, but Serval and Welt allowed me to alternate breaking each one so I really only had to fight one at a time.

If I can manage 1 star here then I just need 1 more for 15.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Gonna be good to get some new main story stuff. Kind of funny how Mihoyo takes it's biggest break for it's two big titles right around the time that most others are going all in on summer time stuff. They really do just kind of beat to the tune of their own drum. 1 day for this and about a month for Genshin and it's gonna be Content City. Now to see if 1.3 is going to be another "quiet" patch for Star Rail though.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 17, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The major events for 1.1 were very fun, so as long as the events in 1.3 can keep up with that quality I'll be happy. Genshin's both in a main content lull and all of it's events, including the new summer area, have been mid at best.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

The major events for 1.1 were very fun, so as long as the events in 1.3 can keep up with that quality I'll be happy. Genshin's both in a main content lull and all of it's events, including the new summer area, have been mid at best.

I haven't really done much of the Summer Event other than the first two parts of the story and what exploration I've come across and it's like okay basically design wise with the summer carnival scene, but the story is pretty meh easily solved by just talking it out problems basically. The stakes in Genshin have just been a little low since back in early 3.6 for me to get super invested in, which is why I've kind of been focusing on the last of the stuff I haven't done like the Dirge of Bilqis word quest series. At least Honkai 3rd is still kind of happening right now with Seele's finest hour, a pretty cool boss fight and Kiana's triumphant return at least over a comm. channel to chat with Mei, Senti and Seele a bit.

It's still too bad there's no Honkai 3rd thread here though, but I just don't think the game has a big enough audience to warrant it. There's again some major poo poo I could mention there (like how it's the only games Mihoyo is running atm to be doing a traditional gacha game Summer Swimsuit even with the main trio getting Herscherr ver. themed summer skins), but I'm actually specifically trying to avoid doing the big long posts about that stuff that rile people up now.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eh sorta? I dunno have complaints about the current story stuff. Disregarding CN stuff, I really don't like how it looks like we're getting main Seele setup to be sacrificed, since APHO squad leader is 100% Veliona, I think this means Seele is getting chained to the bubble universe and that's stupid as hell for a lot reasons. Not only does it feel like a cheapshot after how Kiana managed to handle Finality, this bubble universe has like maybe 300 people, and we know 0 natives of it. You can't convince me that Vita is anything but the evil female Su he mentioned encountering in the Sea of Quanta, there's no shot she's from this bubble universe. Durnadul's universe at least felt like an actual world with a lot to save. Seele going out this way just feel awful because I don't really give a poo poo about this bubble universe because they haven't given me a reason to give a poo poo.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

Eh sorta? I dunno have complaints about the current story stuff. Disregarding CN stuff, I really don't like how it looks like we're getting main Seele setup to be sacrificed, since APHO squad leader is 100% Veliona, I think this means Seele is getting chained to the bubble universe and that's stupid as hell for a lot reasons. Not only does it feel like a cheapshot after how Kiana managed to handle Finality, this bubble universe has like maybe 300 people, and we know 0 natives of it. You can't convince me that Vita is anything but the evil female Su he mentioned encountering in the Sea of Quanta, there's no shot she's from this bubble universe. Durnadul's universe at least felt like an actual world with a lot to save. Seele going out this way just feel awful because I don't really give a poo poo about this bubble universe because they haven't given me a reason to give a poo poo.

This is up to the v 6.8 patch released about a week ago, but yeah I have a feeling that it's not going to go completely down that way and they're not going to do that to Seele, but then again I never quite know with their story lines. As for Vita very obviously being the Female Su it kind of just establishes again that females are more powerful by default in that universe since she seems to have his powers on a way greater reality hacking scale and apparently can even rival the Cocoon of Finality which just seems crazy since as far as I can tell that's the most powerful entity in the Honkai 3rd universe right now. I don't know if her powers work the same way outside of the bubble universe though or if they're setting her up to be the new main antagonist if she's supposed to be on par with the Cocoon of Finality and Kiana. Chapter 40 on and forever long seems to be switching focus to Fu Hua now based on how Chapter 39 ended with a teaser about her and she still hasn't received her new "Pure" Herscherr form yet unlike Kiana, Mei, Bronya and now even Seele.

At least that's the way it feels like it's been going down for me. When Kiana, Mei and Bronya and sort of Seele received there powers at first it was like there were always kind of at odds with their first forms and thus "corrupted" in a sense. Kiana got a massive power boost from Void, but she hurt her friends in the process and was never purely in sync with her Herscheer form until Flamescion and Finality. Ditto Mei, massive power boost but hurt her friends and wasn't true self. Bronya it was always sort of taking on the mantle given to her by the Welt's with Reason and wasn't true to herself and likewise same with Senti and Fu Hua who hasn't had a new form in a couple years at this point.

Anyway leaving it there sorry. I like chatting about that game with you, but I don't completely want to stir up the hornets nest on the Star Rail forum with an extended exchange.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Could be worse. I could start talking about FlyMe2TheMoon or Gun Girls Z and get crucified extra hard by the thread in talking about poo poo nobody cares about.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I mean if you want to discuss Honkai idk why you wouldn't just make a thread at this point. Who cares about the level of activity it gets. Back when it was just Genshin thread I understand a bit more that general MHY discussion happened but we're here in a separate HSR thread rather than keeping everything together in a blob.

Certainly if you want to back and forth with spoiler blocks for new content in a separate game, it feels like that is just separate thread material lol. And like, not even coming at this from a place of annoyance other than this bit of attaching a victim complex to it. Instead of just the incredibly low effort of making a space where you can have the discussions you want and they won't be separate to the main thread topic.

haypliss fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 17, 2023

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

listen there's only so much Goonblazer power to use in a single day, can't waste it on a dead thread and I'm not going to swipe just for a 4*

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Could be worse. I could start talking about FlyMe2TheMoon or Gun Girls Z and get crucified extra hard by the thread in talking about poo poo nobody cares about.

I mean it's one of the reasons they do little things like their flappy birds minigame here. FlyMe2TheMoon is what started their company.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

haypliss posted:

I mean if you want to discuss Honkai idk why you wouldn't just make a thread at this point. Who cares about the level of activity it gets. Back when it was just Genshin thread I understand a bit more that general MHY discussion happened but we're here in a separate HSR thread rather than keeping everything together in a blob.

Certainly if you want to back and forth with spoiler blocks for new content in a separate game, it feels like that is just separate thread material lol. And like, not even coming at this from a place of annoyance other than this bit of attaching a victim complex to it. Instead of just the incredibly low effort of making a space where you can have the discussions you want and they won't be separate to the main thread topic.

I’m only joking anyway. But I think it’d only survive if it’s a general MiHoYo thread I think. It’s also probably not the best time to make a HI3 specific thread, they announced just the other day that HI3 is getting a massive engine overhaul to put it on parity with Genshin and Star Rail sometime in 2024. That’ll probably be the best time to make a thread and introduce newcomers.

Mulva posted:

I mean it's one of the reasons they do little things like their flappy birds minigame here. FlyMe2TheMoon is what started their company.

I’d have liked the Xianzhou Cruise more if it was a callback to FlyMe2TheMoon instead of Flappy Bird honestly. FlyMe2TheMoon is the better time killing game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I’m only joking anyway. But I think it’d only survive if it’s a general MiHoYo thread I think. It’s also probably not the best time to make a HI3 specific thread, they announced just the other day that HI3 is getting a massive engine overhaul to put it on parity with Genshin and Star Rail sometime in 2024. That’ll probably be the best time to make a thread and introduce newcomers.

I’d have liked the Xianzhou Cruise more if it was a callback to FlyMe2TheMoon instead of Flappy Bird honestly. FlyMe2TheMoon is the better time killing game.

Many people are saying. I was kind of shocked with how much they hyped that web event and then it was just flappy bird.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

been getting a bunch of neat daily quests lately.
a bunch of ones of meeting ghosts and past fragments of dead children

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Yeah, those are fun. I didn't get a text today though. I hope that changes soon.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I really hate the ones where you have to be that stalkers proxy because she’s too lazy to do it herself

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

it just went on for too many days, it seemed to just repeat itself.
freaking method actors

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
My favorite part about HI3 discussions in Mihoyo threads is that, as an outsider, y'all sound like raving mad doomsday cult lunatics and it's hilarious to me. It doesn't help that they stuff their games to the brim with half-sensical edgy apocalyptic mumbo jumbo.

Walla posted:

It feels like you have too much defense shred on your first team with Pela and SW together. I still don't have Pela so it's just an intuition.

Defense is the only stat (so far) where the more of it you already have, the more each additional 1% shred is worth. (Up to 100%; various people (e.g. Zajef) have confirmed you're capped at 100%.)

On the contrary, because Qingque gets a good amount of atk% and dmg% buffs from her kit, she gets less value out of atk-based harmony buffers. So far, the crit-based harmony buffers (Bronya (which I don't have) and Yukong) are both skillpoint-intensive.

Speaking of which, that's another benefit to Pela + SW. They both do their jobs with zero skillpoints needed, so I can dump skillpoints into Qingque. It's also dual-element, for consistent SW weakness implants.

Walla posted:

My relics suck rear end still as well. At least I have a 2 piece Musketeer/2 piece Wastelander for Welt.

Maybe try building Dan Heng? He synergises well with Welt and Asta/Tingyun and might ge the piece you're missing. Or just pull Blade. :)

Well I'm still running 4pc Musketeer across all my DPS, so!

Re: Dan Heng -- I'm pretty down on Hunt characters in general, but that might be because I'm only on earlier MoC stages, and a single non-Seele Hunt character plinking down individual trash adds just take too much time.

But if I were to go with a Hunt character, I might as well stick with Yanqing because:
- Yanqing is already leveled and built; Dan Heng is not.
- Gepard is a luxury unit that makes Yanqing very comfortable to play. I have a Gepard.
- Yanqing is stupidly easy to gear. Because he gets so much crit/cdmg from his base kit, you need (relatively) less crit stats on gear compared to others to do equivalent amount of damage. He can even slurp up some of your leftover atk% gear and do okay-ish. In short, he does very good damage at piss-poor gear levels (me!). Even at just 'bad' levels of gear, he can forgo crit substats and go all cdmg and stack cdmg to the moon.
- Because he gets so much crit/cdmg from his base kit, it also means he scales (relatively) better with atk harmony buffers (Asta/Tingyun).
- Yanqing ults in 4 turns, which is bad because so much of his damage is in his ult. Tingyun (+ cogs) gets her ult in 3 turns, and simultaneously bring Yanqing's ult cycle down to 3 turns. This syncs both of them up nicely. Plus, atk% and dmg% are both very good buffs for Yanqing.
- Dan Heng (probably) requires significantly more investment to cross Yanqing's baseline (again, at piss-poor gear levels). He might (probably?) outscale Yanqing at high gear levels with perfectly substatted relics and someone else to consistently apply slow for him? I dunno.

I thought about it a little more and maybe I'll re-shuffle my teams around like this:
Team (whichever side has ice weakness):
Gepard Pela Tingyun Yanqing

Team (other side -- I feel like every side is weak to either imaginary or quantum):
Luocha Welt (support this time) SW Qingque

Welt will use my SW pair-up setup: SW goes break effect and runs EHR% chest, Welt runs SW's LC with DPS chest (and maybe Vonwacq? depending on breakpoints).

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

padijun posted:

I really hate the ones where you have to be that stalkers proxy because she’s too lazy to do it herself

It feels even worse because the actor lady seems to be genuinely a nice decent person so she doesn't deserve any of this!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I dislike the quiz one the most, too much popping into and out of the hotel and I got it for several days straight, then a day off, then twice more. I got one today where the ghost and his 3 ghost buddies were just across the platform, took me less than a minute to do the whole thing. And the other day just an old man to talk to for a few seconds.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

facepalmolive posted:

It doesn't help that they stuff their games to the brim with half-sensical edgy apocalyptic mumbo jumbo.

Counter-point: "Stellaron, the Cancer of All Worlds" is an amazing thing to see like nine seconds into Star Rail.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mulva posted:

Counter-point: "Stellaron, the Cancer of All Worlds" is an amazing thing to see like nine seconds into Star Rail.

when i saw they had english ruby text i knew this was going to be a banger

Kale
May 14, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah they mentioned that a while ago. They've also started having actual cutscenes like SR and Genshin instead of just talking static character models popping up in front of a background now that they've exploded into a billion dollar valued company. For some reason it's apparently also having a crossover with the anime film Promare. Guessing it was really popular in China. I didn't realize this but there was a big event in Shanghai earlier today called Honkai Summer Carnival where Da Wei apparently legit burst into tears on stage talking about the incoming engine update they're able to do now that they have the capital for it, and they confirmed Part 2 of the story for Spring 2024 and teased some Version 6.9 stuff with a silhouette of the new character for it that really looks like Sirin. There was also some cool artwork and a huge replica of one of the mechs from the game.

Every time I see Da Wei I'm kind of struck by his raw enthusiasm and I honestly don't think he's faking it really, the guys just a massive fanboy of anime poo poo (especially Evangelion) and his own companies characters. It's such a huge contrast with when you usually see CEO's go up on stage to do PR stuff and it sort of feels like they're going through the motions. The guy references the characters and stories like they're real people and still gives off the same vibe in the event footage from today as he did in that 12 year old video of him at an investors conference pleading with the judges about why his business models and ideas for making money from the otaku market but at the time primarily in China would profitable. :lol: We'll probably see it again in a few weeks when I assume he'll hype himself up over Genshin 4.0 in the livestream.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 18, 2023

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

bagrada posted:

I dislike the quiz one the most, too much popping into and out of the hotel and I got it for several days straight, then a day off, then twice more. I got one today where the ghost and his 3 ghost buddies were just across the platform, took me less than a minute to do the whole thing. And the other day just an old man to talk to for a few seconds.
Yeah, the quiz one is the actual worst, because the text literally doesn't change at all except for the quiz itself

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hit EQ level 6 :toot:

wait there's like..almost nothing new...drat..

:confuoot:

e: nvm first Echo of war gave me 3 yellow AND a Light Cone :toot:

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Promare was easily the most boring and predictable thing that Trigger has ever put out. It's a shame they chose that for a collab instead of pretty much anything else. Ninja Slayer, Luluco, or heck, even Franxx would have been way more interesting to see as collabs.