Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

No lie though the deck has been one of the better purchases I’ve made in recent years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Kefa posted:

I don't play games on mine, just test how well it can run the games I have already finished on my PC before.

:hmmyes:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
trip report: Fallout 3 runs very well on Proton. How is this far,far more stable than running on Windows? What wizardry is this?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 18, 2023

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

SilkyP posted:

No lie though the deck has been one of the better purchases I’ve made in recent years

Same. I'm an idiot who's fairly computer illiterate and has no experience with or patience for Linux by and large and I still rate it a 10/10 purchase and I cannot imagine how much more satisfying a buy this would have been if I were even slightly less stupid and/or lazy.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I keep trying to do interesting things with my deck but usually it’s just trying to get Assetto Corsa to run (still no success there despite the 4 different guides telling you how to do it).

I did do the cryotools thing to make Beamng run a little better but mostly I just sit and play video games on this thing these days.

Into motortown, Dave & midnight suns right now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

tango alpha delta posted:

trip report: Fallout 3 runs very well on Proton. How is this far,far more stable than running on Windows? What wizardry is this?

That is surprisingly common. Wine et. al. are designed to be bug-for-bug compatible with older versions of Windows and its libraries, so they sometimes run weirdo software better than the original.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I got Soul Nomad on Steam and tried to play it on my deck. However, when I launch the game, the screen goes black for a second and then goes back to the Home Screen. The game seems to work on my Pc so I don’t know what the issue is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SilkyP posted:

My PC chair was making my rear end numb last night so I went to lay on my bed for a while playing Need for Speed Heat there instead.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SilkyP posted:

Been saying this (really, I have). I've been making video game related purchases since I was probably 8-9, and the Deck has been far and away the best one I've ever made.

I keep taking a moment, looking back through stuff I've bought over the years, and no matter what pops up in my memories, yep, the deck is still the best.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I stopped tinkering a while back. Got it set up just the way I want it, where I can easily zap files to and from it with my home NAS mounted on startup. Minimal Lutris.

More tinkering would also mean closing Pokemon Infinite Fusion and that's just not going to happen right now.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 18, 2023

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Has anyone tried the Baldurs Gate 3 early access on deck? I don't expect it to be the ideal way to play but it'd be nice if I'm not locked to my PC for the entire playthrough

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

jimmydalad posted:

So I got Soul Nomad on Steam and tried to play it on my deck. However, when I launch the game, the screen goes black for a second and then goes back to the Home Screen. The game seems to work on my Pc so I don’t know what the issue is.

Learn to use ProtonDB.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Annath posted:

How does DOOM 2016 play on the Deck?

ProtonDB says it *runs* well (although no mention of battery life), but how does it actually play with the Deck setup?

Doom 2016 on Deck remains my “holy poo poo” moment with the device.

Especially having played (and enjoyed) the Switch version.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Bumhead posted:

Doom 2016 on Deck remains my “holy poo poo” moment with the device.

Especially having played (and enjoyed) the Switch version.

What about Eternal? I'm going to play through both at some point, and my PC can play both easily, but being able to pick up and play between both would be great.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Annath posted:

What about Eternal? I'm going to play through both at some point, and my PC can play both easily, but being able to pick up and play between both would be great.
Eternal plays fine. It's not my favorite, but 60fps and decent battery life with it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I would like to also highlight Prism (I think it's in the Discover app?) which lets you play Java Minecraft with absolute ease, because getting the official launcher and various third party launchers like Curseforge to play nice with Steam was an impossible task that I previously had to just give up on.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Eternal is fine/good on Deck. I noticed it was a little more framey than 2016 in spots, but only slightly. It's still a drat impressive spectacle on a handheld - absolutely top tier in terms of AAA you can experience on Deck.

Whether you want to play Eternal on a controller over your KB&M is another matter but only you'll figure out your preferences there. That was the biggest difference between enjoying 2016 and Eternal on Deck for me.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

ChiTownEddie posted:

Has anyone tried the Baldurs Gate 3 early access on deck? I don't expect it to be the ideal way to play but it'd be nice if I'm not locked to my PC for the entire playthrough

It comes with gamepad support so I don't see how it wouldn't be.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The current early access build has no controller support yet fyi but it will probably work like original sin 2 did

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

Personally I'd wait until release. It'll have full controller support at launch which will make it much better on the Deck, not to mention be better optimized and your save will carry over then. It comes out in two weeks anyway.

If you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO play it now I've heard it runs decently. Never tried it myself though.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
My steam deck gathers dust a little more often than I'd like, but that's entirely because I have too many non-PC games and too little time. Every time I dust it off and play something on it it's brilliant, and it's now by far my preferred way to emulate old games. The only real problem I have with it, and its not actually a problem with the deck itself, is I have my actual gaming PC hooked up to my living room oled TV, so 90% of the things in my actual Steam library I just always end up playing on that for brighter visuals and higher refresh rate. Was finding the Deck great for HiFi Rush (it runs superbly) but that game looks incredible on oled and I haven't played it on my Deck since.

Basically: Valve. Make an OLED Steam Deck. I will buy another one. Pull a Switch OLED and have it identical specs but with an oled and maybe slightly larger panel, I will give you all my money again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I would like to also highlight Prism (I think it's in the Discover app?) which lets you play Java Minecraft with absolute ease, because getting the official launcher and various third party launchers like Curseforge to play nice with Steam was an impossible task that I previously had to just give up on.

Prism is fantastic. Don’t forget to add Controllable (forge mod) or Controlify (fabric mod) for controller support in Java.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Personally I'd wait until release. It'll have full controller support at launch which will make it much better on the Deck, not to mention be better optimized and your save will carry over then. It comes out in two weeks anyway.

If you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO play it now I've heard it runs decently. Never tried it myself though.

Oh, yeah. I was wondering if anyone had experience that could let me know how the full release will look hehe. I'm pumped to play it in a couple of weeks.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

ChiTownEddie posted:

Oh, yeah. I was wondering if anyone had experience that could let me know how the full release will look hehe. I'm pumped to play it in a couple of weeks.

I have been playing it on medium settings and have it set to maximum fps to 60 but not sure how high it gets. Since it doesn't have true gamepad support yet, I had to set the Y and A buttons to rotate the camera. Besides that everything else is pretty much right stick to move the mouse and click in. I am sure there is a ton more stuff that could be done but that is what I did to enjoyably play it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Raylax posted:

Basically: Valve. Make an OLED Steam Deck. I will buy another one. Pull a Switch OLED and have it identical specs but with an oled and maybe slightly larger panel, I will give you all my money again.

I have one of those LG C1s and it has been one of the best upgrades to my home entertainment system. OLEDs are fantastic. I watch something on it every day for the last year and there’s not a sign of burn in or anything either.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Macichne Leainig posted:

I have one of those LG C1s and it has been one of the best upgrades to my home entertainment system. OLEDs are fantastic. I watch something on it every day for the last year and there’s not a sign of burn in or anything either.

Burn in will occur with static images like HUD being displayed for prolonged periods of time, like in gaming or watching sports TV. Also it will take more than a year to become noticeable.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Vic posted:

Burn in will occur with static images like HUD being displayed for prolonged periods of time, like in gaming or watching sports TV. Also it will take more than a year to become noticeable.

No big deal if you play a variety of games but if you play like a favorite MMO, speedrun something, or use it as a PC monitor it's certainly worth being careful about.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

No big deal if you play a variety of games but if you play like a favorite MMO, speedrun something, or use it as a PC monitor it's certainly worth being careful about.

Typically it's a crosshair right in the middle of your screen as that's a common element in a lot of games, and taskbar etc if used for office work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

No joke; I'm on these goddamned forums so much that part of the title bar from the Awful app is slightly burned into my Samsung galaxy S8 screen. On a pure white picture, I'll see 3 faint lines from the hamburger (?) style menu putting. To be fair, I've had this phone going on over 4 years now.

:getin:

Edit: this thing

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Can someone explain to me ProtonDB?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

jimmydalad posted:

It’s literally just a website where people post their specific tweak/settings for any particular game so you can use it as a more in-detail form of “can this game run and how well”. It has a more granular rating system than Valve’s verified.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Generally my one-stop solution to any game giving me issues is to force compatibility to the current GE proton release and that catches 99% of all issues I encounter.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's kind of mad how a game can go from just not running at all to being completely perfect by switching Proton version, even between minor version updates.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I spent like 7 hours last night sucked into Brotato on my steam deck. It was 3am when I realized what time it was. Also I accomplished nothing because I haven't figured out a strategy for clearing Danger 4+ yet. I keep getting sucked into Etheral weapons in search of the Damage / Life bonuses and I think it's a trap.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

jimmydalad posted:

ProtonDB is a website that shows if a game works on the steam deck, your last question about Soul Nomad the ProtonDB link folks said to use Proton GE to get it running.

Proton GE is a compatibility thing to can assign to games that are not working on default settings. Here is a youtube I pulled with a guy talking for 2 minutes before the actual important part starts to help you install it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCc6m8SaVJc&t=122s

(Do this, but when he gets to 'Sleeping Dogs' in his example, use Soul Nomad)

So use ProtonDB to see how to get a game running, and it most cases, use Proton GE ON your Deck as the compatibility.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Vic posted:

It's still technically a potential issue but oled tech's improved significantly over the last few years and it's only likely to cause permanent burn-in if you're literally playing the same game for months on end (I'm not, I basically don't play any online/multiplayer stuff and I'll occasionally get into a big RPG, like maybe once a year, for a few weeks to a month). Someone stress tested the switch oled with a static Zelda screenshot on max brightness displayed for nearly 3600 hours before even faint burn-in become apparent.

Modern oled TVs have lots of preventative functions (like subtly moving the entire screen around by a handful of pixels periodically, and detecting/dimming bright static areas like HUD elements and channel idents) and "cleaning" routines, and regular TV stuff like dimming or turning off the display if its been on a static picture for a long time (I think all the consoles have an option to do this too if they've been idle for a while). It's not really much of an issue any more unless you're at an extreme edge-case use, like you just play one game competitively for several hours every day.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
To add to the ProtonDB chat, there's a Decky extension called ProtonDB Badges that will put the game's compatibility badge right on the game tile in your library, and you can click it to go right to the protondb page. Really handy.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Raylax posted:

To add to the ProtonDB chat, there's a Decky extension called ProtonDB Badges that will put the game's compatibility badge right on the game tile in your library, and you can click it to go right to the protondb page. Really handy.

this plugin is more reliable than Valve's verification imo

Edit: Valve's verification is good, this is just better

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There are also Chrome and Firefox extensions that put the badges on the Steam website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Soysaucebeast posted:

It comes out in two weeks anyway.

Neat. D:OS2 was a banger.

Any idea if some form of local co-op will exist (with just the one copy)?