Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

michael eisner wanted to use the Alien license for that ride and the imagineers were horrified lol

he was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I loved those 4d ride things. I remember the Jaws ride and the Earthquake ride at Universal were sick as hell. The Earthquake one had like, a "broken" gas line spraying fire at you, it was sweet

im really glad i got to see basically all of this stuff as a kid before it got ripped out for 30 imaxes showing shrek ads or whatever

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

grieving for Gandalf posted:

oh actually I got super freaked out as a kid by some experience at Disney World where you sit down and get strapped in and it's like you're living through an alien attack and they spray stuff on you and poo poo like that

that was way too much for eight-year-old me

my mom and dad would have to go to orlando for work conferences and would swing by disneyworld bc it was financially possible to do that in the mid-90s and this ride scared my mom so bad she called me, an 8 year old, immediately after to tell me how scary it was.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PinheadSlim posted:

this just unlocked a deep memory of being very little and actually terrified of this page specifically

evil vibes, gently caress that VUG

Honestly that's one of those things that'd be scary in anything. What's that saying about how the scariest thing you can show is a closed door?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tweak posted:

The weirdest thing that freaked me out as a kid though was Homer getting the top of his dome cut off and brain ripped out during a Treehouse of Horror ep. I didn't listen to Marge's warning!

i never watched the episode but seeing a picture of alien Mr. Burns gave me a few days' worth of nightmares

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ominous Jazz posted:

That weird mummy and mean moon from Courage The Cowardly dog was very scary to little me

if you mean Return the Slab then i'm pretty sure that hosed up an entire generation

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

oh actually I got super freaked out as a kid by some experience at Disney World where you sit down and get strapped in and it's like you're living through an alien attack and they spray stuff on you and poo poo like that

that was way too much for eight-year-old me

iirc they remade that to be extremely less scary with Stitch from Lilo and Stitch and then they shuttered that several years later and i forget if it's now just storage space or the Monster's Inc Laugh Floor

copy
Jul 26, 2007

~the man in gauze~

copy
Jul 26, 2007

courage ruled lol. had a buddy who would do the entire freaky fred poem monologue

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

copy posted:

courage ruled lol. had a buddy who would do the entire freaky fred poem monologue

late 90s/early 00s Cartoon Network is basically unrivaled. my dumbass little kid mind getting weened on Courage, Ed Edd N Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab...ftmfw

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
I remember being freaked out by Unsolved Mysteries quite often as a youngin

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the athf boston mooninite bomb fiasco mentioned a few pages back is one of the biggest reasons that era of CN ended. the head of CN at the time (Jim Samples), who was also responsible for bringing over a lot of anime and starting up adult swim, stepped down over it, and Snyder took over and immediately started making everyone do live action garbage

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
loling thinking about that era when cartoon network aired live action movies like jurassic park 3

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

relationship goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Y2A2EnrLQ

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

the athf boston mooninite bomb fiasco mentioned a few pages back is one of the biggest reasons that era of CN ended. the head of CN at the time (Jim Samples), who was also responsible for bringing over a lot of anime and starting up adult swim, stepped down over it, and Snyder took over and immediately started making everyone do live action garbage

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

loling thinking about that era when cartoon network aired live action movies like jurassic park 3

that was a weirdass time to be a kid & thinking back to the poo poo they tried to market as new and hip like a trivia game show on a roller coaster, not-America's Funniest Home Videos, and PG Jackass was not going to win anyone over lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

will give them credit tho cuz Destroy Build Destroy introduced me to Andrew W.K.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol. Need to get back to watching HxH

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

symbolic posted:

will give them credit tho cuz Destroy Build Destroy introduced me to Andrew W.K.

yeah I used to get Actually Mad at there being live action and not cartoons lol

but yeah I loved DBD because I used to watch myth busters all the time and I love AWK

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

symbolic posted:

late 90s/early 00s Cartoon Network is basically unrivaled. my dumbass little kid mind getting weened on Courage, Ed Edd N Eddy, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Dexter's Lab...ftmfw

puffy amiyumi ftw

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I remember how mad people got about the live action stuff. There was a Roger Rabbit type show called Inside Jimmy's Head that people called Out of Jimmy's rear end, possibly the most insulting series nickname of all time.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Rotten posted:

I remember being freaked out by Unsolved Mysteries quite often as a youngin

Unsolved Mysteries made me paranoid as a kid that I was secretly adopted, which was ridiculous because I look like the exact statistical average of my parents, but Kid Brain

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol hearing the unsolved mysteries theme song and being scared shitless ftw

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mycot posted:

I remember how mad people got about the live action stuff. There was a Roger Rabbit type show called Inside Jimmy's Head that people called Out of Jimmy's rear end, possibly the most insulting series nickname of all time.

lol that's probably why it got cancelled, burn to strong

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/@UnsolvedMysteriesFullEpisodes/about

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Watching Its Always Sunny and they literally just had an argument about why you can’t say “retard” anymore.

Lmao

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

When Japanese Ringu was out on bootleg VCDs i was at school describing how I was really freaked out by the whole idea of a VCR that could kill you. my friend was like, dude you watched that on a VCD it's gonna be easier to copy movies and kill you (specifically, you) now. i didn't sleep that night

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

puffy amiyumi ftw

i didnt know what jpop was at that point but that show taught me it kicked rear end

mycot posted:

lol i never heard that, i just remember that it was originally just a movie and 10 year old me was extremely confused as to why Jimmy's two best friends in the show were now suddenly black instead of asian even tho they shared the same names

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

When Japanese Ringu was out on bootleg VCDs i was at school describing how I was really freaked out by the whole idea of a VCR that could kill you. my friend was like, dude you watched that on a VCD it's gonna be easier to copy movies and kill you (specifically, you) now. i didn't sleep that night

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if you get killed by sadako then thats a skill issue

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
dont watch the cursed vhs tape dont enter the cursed house its really easy to not die in a japanese horror movie if you use your brain

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

was never a fan of the early 00s style of horror movie revolving around an Evil Child, when in reality i would absolutely destroy the child in single combat

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Evil Child: I am an Evil Child. Dare U face me??

*me launching them to the moon like Team Rocket blasting off again*

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

yep. kiryu watched a ringu and he was fine

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
thinking about all those times chucky got his rear end punted across the room

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ishikabibble posted:

that attraction was sick as hell, it was supposed to be straight up Alien themed but then they decided to do their own thing (probably for rights reasons) and then made basically Alien/Weyland-Yutani but with the serial numbers filed off

And yeah it was one of the '4D' rides and the entire thing was like, spraying humid air at you, doing tricks to make you think there's things crawling around your feet, lots of directional sound, etc etc.

Even the alien that 'breaks out' is like, legitimately scary looking.

That's the Lava Monster from Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea.

The Alien was worse:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

dont watch the cursed vhs tape dont enter the cursed house its really easy to not die in a japanese horror movie if you use your brain

a bit of trickery with the VHS label and a Sharpie and i can become a mastermind. "LOST MACROSS FRONTIER OVA"...checkmate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

the ju-on frying pan scene still lives rent free in my head. it was also at the time where american studios kept remaking the japanese horror movies but with the subtlety of a wrecking ball and they somehow managed to gently caress it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtrVn8dHFg8