Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Zybourne Clock posted:

Why's that skeleton not talking into the microphone? Can people at the back of the room even hear him? :confused:

More like "Why's that ventriloquist's mouth moving when the puppet is talking"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
It would be great if someone did a subtitle of that Hitler in the war room scene in that movie, but with Elon musk as Hitler

"Everyone below gold check, leave the room now"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dragonstoned posted:

More like "Why's that ventriloquist's mouth moving when the puppet is talking"

Ventriloquist exposed!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

1) This was "news" in 2021

2) it's a proposed ban on cross-platform cookies, not targeted ads per se

3) lol idiots for not fact checking anything they post

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

ben shapino posted:

Not Ghana pay those guys if he can get away with it

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Elon Musk: Not Ghana pay those guys if he can get away with it

Tiny Timbs posted:

My “gently caress small businesses” bumper sticker makes a lot of people angry but I’m sticking with it

But was your "gently caress small businesses" bumper sticker made by... a small business?

Checkmate :smuggo:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Anders posted:

1) This was "news" in 2021

2) it's a proposed ban on cross-platform cookies, not targeted ads per se

3) lol idiots for not fact checking anything they post

it's actually a new ban, and does directly target behavioral ads

https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/17/norway-meta-ads-ban/

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Incitatus posted:

Man, gently caress Oskar Schindler. Spielberg needs to make a movie about the guy who didn't laugh at Chapelle's Netflix special!

I think the point is that only a handful ever have courage, opportunity, and resources at any given point in history who could ever become an Oskar Schindler. Pretty much everyone can make their voice heard in small ways multiple times a day with who you associate with, what media you choose to support, etc. Not saying anyone even has to apply that level of scrutiny to themselves, but if lots of people do that, our voices do add up.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Time_pants posted:

I think the point is that only a handful ever have courage, opportunity, and resources at any given point in history who could ever become an Oskar Schindler. Pretty much everyone can make their voice heard in small ways multiple times a day with who you associate with, what media you choose to support, etc. Not saying anyone even has to apply that level of scrutiny to themselves, but if lots of people do that, our voices do add up.

"What media you choose to support" is in no way material action, it is literally just cultural signifier. What movies you watch or what YouTube peoples' Patreons you donate to is utterly inconsequential in any meaningful sense.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Heath posted:

"What media you choose to support" is in no way material action, it is literally just cultural signifier. What movies you watch or what YouTube peoples' Patreons you donate to is utterly inconsequential in any meaningful sense.

I’d argue that it becomes material once you’re out there talking about it with others. I’d rather live in a society where Chapelle is shunned for spouting transphobic hate than one where everyone still likes him a great deal. As with so many things in politics/society, an individual doing something is next to inconsequential, but if everyone decides that this transphobia is quite acceptable and indeed funny, that’s very loving consequential.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy gently caress is he still doing rhis routine?

Like it was stale in 2008 good lord

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
If we hate small businesses and also hate large businesses do we just hate any store or business at all

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

ilmucche posted:

If we hate small businesses and also hate large businesses do we just hate any store or business at all

that's right

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

If you make, have, inherit, give away or spend any money at all.... gently caress you.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

ymgve posted:

it's actually a new ban, and does directly target behavioral ads

https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/17/norway-meta-ads-ban/

Lol, I didn't find any local news about it - but I fully endorse it! Datatilsynet protecting my privacy :dance:

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Why does Elon Musk look so weird?

Why is his name "Elon"? What kind of name is that? It sounds weird.

And "Musk" is that his actual last name, like musk is the stuff that comes out of animals' buttholes to mark their territory, why would that be his last name?

What a weirdo!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://nitter.net/ARTofCOOP/status/1681054644049682432

Boy that sure is some quality engineering on the Cybertruck :eyepop:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Worker owned cooperatives and state owned enterprises are acceptable.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Earwicker posted:

i dont know why you think this tendency is specific to something awful. humor changes dramatically over time, both in the sense that culture changes and what is considered funny or acceptable as comedy changes, and in the sense that as people age they tend to find different things funny than when they were young. its not just chapelle, there are a ton of old sitcoms and sketch comedy shows from the past that were once wildly popular, but come across as unfunny, or offensive, or dull, or just nonsensical in a modern context.

A good example of this is Seinfeld. It was great back in its time but comedy has improved so much since then that by today's standards Seinfeld just seems painfully unfunny. I can't watch it.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://nitter.net/ARTofCOOP/status/1681054644049682432

Boy that sure is some quality engineering on the Cybertruck :eyepop:

Aren't all Teslas built this shitily? You'd think with its dumb squareness this'd be easier to get right though.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Aren't all Teslas American Cars built this shitily? You'd think with its dumb squareness this'd be easier to get right though.

:smuggo:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy gently caress is he still doing rhis routine?

Like it was stale in 2008 good lord

I know, right? Achmed could do better than that puppet.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

...! posted:

A good example of this is Seinfeld. It was great back in its time but comedy has improved so much since then that by today's standards Seinfeld just seems painfully unfunny. I can't watch it.

Seinfeld is one that both me (a millennial) and my parents (boomers) enjoyed when it was on and the years after in syndication.

So many of the jokes and premises wouldn’t fly today; both me and my parents acknowledge that.

“They couldn’t make this today…”
Parents: “… because people have gotten too sensitive.”
Me: “… because we know better than to have casual (or overt) racism and homophobia in our comedy.”

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Apparently in 2014 there was an Achmed animated cartoon feature length film

Knowing that, imagine what it looks like in your head and be amazed when you're absolutely correct

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
" boy I'm having some indigestion after eating that birdcage, better go be a transphobe about it"

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Halisnacks posted:

Seinfeld is one that both me (a millennial) and my parents (boomers) enjoyed when it was on and the years after in syndication.

So many of the jokes and premises wouldn’t fly today; both me and my parents acknowledge that.

“They couldn’t make this today…”
Parents: “… because people have gotten too sensitive.”
Me: “… because we know better than to have casual (or overt) racism and homophobia in our comedy.”

This is me and Tintin, though luckily Hergé regretted his early work and his association with a known fascist sympathizer

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Songbearer posted:

Apparently in 2014 there was an Achmed animated cartoon feature length film

Knowing that, imagine what it looks like in your head and be amazed when you're absolutely correct

:stare: jesus christ

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Anders posted:

This is me and Tintin, though luckily Hergé regretted his early work and his association with a known fascist sympathizer

Lovecraft, too, I -think- came back later in life to comment on his overt racism in his early career (dont quote me on that.) maybe someone can confirm.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Popoto posted:

Lovecraft, too, I -think- came back later in life to comment on his overt racism in his early career (dont quote me on that.) maybe someone can confirm.

No,he's moved on from certain views but didn't budge on others and never regretted his views.

Lovecraft 1916 posted:

‘I regard the Celts as an inferior race, but little better than Mexicans, & but little more capable of self-government. They could never maintain an orderly existence save under the domination of some branch of the Teutonic master race—if they could leave England, they would have to take Germany as a master; in fact, I am not sure but that they need a few Prussian methods to curb their ebullient & seditious emotions.’

H.P. Lovecraft - Letter to Rheinhart Kleiner - June 14th 1916

Lovecraft 1934 posted:

‘With the high-grade alien races we can adopt a policy of flexible common-sense—discouraging mixture whenever we can, but not clamping down the bars so ruthlessly against every individual of slightly mixed ancestry. As a matter of fact, most of the psychological race-differences which strike us so prominently are cultural rather than biological. If one could take a Japanese infant, alter his features to the Anglo-Saxon type through plastic surgery, & place him with an American family in Boston for rearing—without stemming him that he is not an American—the chances are that in 20 years the result would be a typical American youth with very few instincts to distinguish him from his pure Nordic college-mates. The same is true of other superior alien races including the Jew—although the Nazis persist in acting on a false biological conception.’

H.P. Lovecraft - Letter to Natalie H. Wooley - November 22nd 1934

He died in 1937
This was from 1936

Lovecraft in 36 posted:

I do not believe that either the negro or australoid race will ever rise to power or found an autochthonous civilisation—both being of definite biological inferiority. Each forms a sort of sub-species (not a separate species, since interbreeding with undiminished fertility is possible of homo sapiens; exhibiting radical departures from the human norm established by the caucasian-mongoloid races, all of which departures are in the direction of the lower primates & of the extinct hominidae or sub-men whose skeletal remains have been so closely studied. As the ground-ape stock behind mankind evolved, it was constantly getting differentiated & throwing off lateral branches of sub-men, some of which seem to have quickly perished, whilst others survived & multiplied (like the neanderthaloids) down to a period on the verge of recorded history. Up to & including homo neandertalensis, these sub-men were undoubtedly of a separate species from ours—

H.P. Lovecraft - Letter to C.L. Moore - October 20th 1936

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I stand corrected. I could have sworn he had crossed over to period appropriate progressivism. Guess I was ill informed!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

He changed some views and hated the Republicans by the end, but nowhere near exculpable.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That's not weird, most people with those views hated the Republicans in the first half ofbthe century.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jakabite posted:

I’d argue that it becomes material once you’re out there talking about it with others. I’d rather live in a society where Chapelle is shunned for spouting transphobic hate than one where everyone still likes him a great deal. As with so many things in politics/society, an individual doing something is next to inconsequential, but if everyone decides that this transphobia is quite acceptable and indeed funny, that’s very loving consequential.

People getting mad at Chappelle and talking about basically constantly made him more popular and basically only made everybody annoyed. The vast majority of people, if you're going to police their entertainment for its political messages, especially if they're not already open to even listening in the first place, tend to react negatively or become defensive. Hence why all of these fucks try to get cancelled nowadays. It's an attention goldmine. If doing this has any material effect at all, it's one that never works in your favor, ultimately, except to make you miserable by relentlessly scanning everything for whether it has the right kind of politics for you to laugh at or enjoy.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That's not weird, most people with those views hated the Republicans in the first half ofbthe century.

This was post-switch according to S.T. Joshi. Not trying to excuse his views, mind, just the small satisfaction of seeing him poo poo on them.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Zybourne Clock posted:

Why's that skeleton not talking into the microphone? Can people at the back of the room even hear him? :confused:
reading about the muppets behind the scenes is always fascinating because everyone who works with muppets says the same thing "you can't help but think of the muppet as a person". the muppets were filming something and the sound people could not figure out why kermit's sound was so poo poo. eventually they figured out that they put a microphone on kermit and not the performer. ralph the dog, who is a piece of fabric with two men under him, has to frequently remind directors and others that he can't actually hear them and they have to address the muppeteers.
aaanyway. just wanted to talk about the muppets for a minute. michael cain's consternation at talking to muppets is always hilarious. he legit felt stupid at first but couldn't help himself

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Heath posted:

If doing this has any material effect at all, it's one that never works in your favor, ultimately, except to make you miserable by relentlessly scanning everything for whether it has the right kind of politics for you to laugh at or enjoy.

Not tolerating hate speach is just a path to your own misery, says genius on dead gay forum.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Heath posted:

People getting mad at Chappelle and talking about basically constantly made him more popular and basically only made everybody annoyed. The vast majority of people, if you're going to police their entertainment for its political messages, especially if they're not already open to even listening in the first place, tend to react negatively or become defensive. Hence why all of these fucks try to get cancelled nowadays. It's an attention goldmine. If doing this has any material effect at all, it's one that never works in your favor, ultimately, except to make you miserable by relentlessly scanning everything for whether it has the right kind of politics for you to laugh at or enjoy.

Hogwart's Legacy benefitted massively from all the attention.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Heath posted:

People getting mad at Chappelle and talking about basically constantly made him more popular and basically only made everybody annoyed.

He seems less popular now and I was not annoyed that I had to learn he was a transphobe so much as I was annoyed that he is a transphobe and won't be supporting him or anyone who platforms him. You can try to uno-reverse his decline all you want if it's something that brings you happiness but it's not working.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Incitatus posted:

Hogwart's Legacy benefitted massively from all the attention.

I doubt the internet backlash really moved the needle, as much as Twitter trolls liked to drive people nuts by doing the "I'm gonna buy 10 copies" bit. The game was destined to be massively successful.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Not tolerating hate speach is just a path to your own misery, says genius on dead gay forum.

Hate speech = bad is easy to agree with.

The issue is when people start judging what is hate speech, as everyone will have a subjective opinion on what constitutes it. I mean people in this forum are reflecting on poo poo they watched 20 years ago and creating misery for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

But the posts about Chappelle in the last 3 pages have been mostly "chapelle's show was great, I loved these sketches, but his new specials are awful"