Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Promare is also just a weird choice for HI:3 whereas it'd probably fit in better in Star Rail though I guess the creators are probably fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kale posted:

Yeah they mentioned that a while ago. They've also started having actual cutscenes like SR and Genshin instead of just talking static character models popping up in front of a background now that they've exploded into a billion dollar valued company. For some reason it's apparently also having a crossover with the anime film Promare. Guessing it was really popular in China. I didn't realize this but there was a big event in Shanghai earlier today called Honkai Summer Carnival where Da Wei apparently legit burst into tears on stage talking about the incoming engine update they're able to do now that they have the capital for it, and they confirmed Part 2 of the story for Spring 2024 and teased some Version 6.9 stuff with a silhouette of the new character for it that really looks like Sirin. There was also some cool artwork and a huge replica of one of the mechs from the game.

I'm a weirdo but I dislike the cutscenes. I think the VN presentation is a strength of HI3 and makes it better than Genshin and SR in that respect. But I'm also a weirdo. Just don't introduce the captain into main storylines or insert Adam or something for 2.0 that'd loving suck.

sushibandit posted:

Promare was easily the most boring and predictable thing that Trigger has ever put out. It's a shame they chose that for a collab instead of pretty much anything else. Ninja Slayer, Luluco, or heck, even Franxx would have been way more interesting to see as collabs.

I mean it's also gay so....that makes it applicable to all their games but HI3 is by far the gayest.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I conceptually like the stalker daily the least, because it doesn't feel like something ~~my character~~ would go along with, but yeah the quiz ones are probably the most annoying to actually get.

This patch feels like it's coming at the right time for me, because a 'why am I logging in daily to do this?' feeling has been creeping in a bit the last week. It's pretty easy to ignore so far since the grind is so minimal, but I'm pretty much coming to peace with the idea that I'm going to end up taking breaks at some point, and probably not in the super distant future. Fortunately I've decided I don't really care about Memory of Chaos, so losing out on jade income isn't all that big a deal since the story's probably never going to require me to have more characters than I already do, so anything past this is just extra.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i can't believe there are franxx enjoyers out there, within this very thread even, hosed up

Kale
May 14, 2010

sushibandit posted:

Promare was easily the most boring and predictable thing that Trigger has ever put out. It's a shame they chose that for a collab instead of pretty much anything else. Ninja Slayer, Luluco, or heck, even Franxx would have been way more interesting to see as collabs.

Franxx and Promare never felt to me like something Trigger was doing on their own terms so much as the big production companies that were involved terms for making a typical hit anime. Particularly Sony's Aniplex who were involved in the project and whom always get the vibe from that they want to make the world's most generic mass appeal guaranteed attention grabbing anime. Also this may be an unpopular opinion, but these days anything that has Hiroyuki Sawano as the composer is likely to be rote mass appeal stuff as well, which is probably why that company locked him up into a contract years ago to be their default composer for any action blockbuster anime project. I got kind of got sick of that guy's music in every big drat hype spectacle anime thing years ago so can't say I'm looking forward to hearing any of it in a Honkai event. His style these days just makes it all sound like the same indistinguishable trendy club music poo poo too me.

As a whole though when it comes to music in Mihoyo stuff I'll take Yu- Peng Chen's contributions over anything else any day of the week. Even 4 chapters in the sheer variety and exploration of traditional cultural music from all over the world has been quite a showcase and it definitely doesn't all just blend together despite making strong use of recuring leitmotifs for each region. The fact that they went out and hired Arjun Verma who is considered to be the greatest living Sitar player in the world to do the Sitar music for Sumeru kind of says a lot already that they want the music to be sort of a statement. I kind of wish I enjoyed the Star Rail music even half as much as I do Genshin's but oh well.

Futaba Anzu posted:

i can't believe there are franxx enjoyers out there, within this very thread even, hosed up

The fact that that show of all things has been one of the most watched and talked about mecha anime projects in the English speaking world in recent memory is pretty gross, but considering how much marketing, fanservice and A-List voice actors Aniplex threw at the project I'm kind of not surprised it got all that attention. I do tend to love the reaction I get from people though when I tell them that that show was a complete also ran in Japan that they barely even blinked at past the season it aired during and that Gundam, Macross and Evangelion are still king poo poo of mecha mountain in Japan by insurmountable margins. Frankly (haha) though I feel like if you mention that show to someone now you'd get a response akin to something like "Oh yeah that show with the pink haired girl with the name that's just a number" cause that character being a "waifu" was most of the of the discussion I recall happening over it and when that conversation wore thin my god did the shine come off of it for just about everyone in a hurry.

Speaking of funny incongruities as an aging fan of Asian pop culture, I also loved trying to explain to somebody one time that tried to insist to me that Chainsaw Man was a bigger franchise than Gundam when The Witch From Mercury and it were airing their first seasons last fall. You can get some fascinating takes from some of these younger anime fans living outside of Japan, where clearly what they see on their personal feeds is just reality. Like you know something that's a part of Japanese culture that the average person living there is likely to have at least heard of versus a hyped up edgy Shonen Jump manga for young teenagers that happened to get a huge surge in popularity on social media in it's find arc.

e: I also remember that show for the weird thing that happened where for whatever insane reason, when it was trying to do the annoying forced love triangle thing with the one blue haired girl that wasn't the popular one and she just started acting like a shitlord all of a sudden, that fans from outside of Japan's response was to review bomb the episode anywhere that they could, and to even send her voice actor death threats on twitter and she actually had to close it down. At the time that sort of behavior wasn't as common as it is now so it definitely left an impression and was another reminder not to regret my decision to no longer associate with the online anime fanbase outside of SA several years before that due to their general behavior.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 18, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

facepalmolive posted:

I thought about it a little more and maybe I'll re-shuffle my teams around like this:
Team (whichever side has ice weakness):
Gepard Pela Tingyun Yanqing

Team (other side -- I feel like every side is weak to either imaginary or quantum):
Luocha Welt (support this time) SW Qingque

Welt will use my SW pair-up setup: SW goes break effect and runs EHR% chest, Welt runs SW's LC with DPS chest (and maybe Vonwacq? depending on breakpoints).

I think you're right about Dan Heng, and probably any Hunt character other than Seele and Sushang. Sushang makes me spoiled with her action economy and skill point efficiency.

I brought Serval out of retirement for MoC 6 and I wish I hadn't dropped her. All of her traces are around 6 or 7 and she has around the second highest attack of all of my characters at level 64. She also does around 200% damage with her basic as long as the enemy is shocked, and that's only the one she's aiming for.

I don't have teams so much as a pairing and some supports and sustain. SW and Quinque are always together, but their sustain and secondary DPS is flexible.

I finally managed to 3 star MoC 4 (Kafka) and got a star on MoC 6. I was a single cycle from 2 stars but I don't think I can optimize it further without more investment. 15 total this round so far, but 7 is beyond me at the moment.

4 was Serval/Quinque/SW/Luocha for the first half and Sushang/Tingyun/Welt/Gepard for the second. 6 was Serval/Tingyun/Welt/Gepard and Sushang/Quinque/SW/Luocha for the second.

I'm also 40 deep into pity for my next 5 star and I'm still undecided on who I want or even if I want anyone. I'm not sure if I actually need more DPS or sustain over building who I already have. On the other hand, both Blade and Kafka synergises well with characters I'm already using. Blade would work great with Luocha and Kafka is great for Serval. I could even put all 4 on the same team!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

franxx is far too het to be in honkai

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Danakir posted:

I used Seele/Silver Wolf/Pela/Luocha first half and Himeko/Tingyun/Asta/Bailu second half.

thank you, I unfucked pela's relics and gave her an HP orb then finished it in 8 rounds per side

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm almost done with getting all the SU blessings. Just have two remaining - one 3* Hunt and one 2* Nihility. Then I can basically choose whatever path I want (though the two I have left are both pretty fun).

Carla is also getting pretty close to being usable, which I'm looking forward to since she's very different from any other character I have (and it seems like it'll be fun to do Elation in SU with her). I'm about to do her final ascension (which seems important due to the significant buff to Svarog counter damage), and then I just need to get her decent artifacts (which admittedly is likely to be a pain).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

facepalmolive posted:

My favorite part about HI3 discussions in Mihoyo threads is that, as an outsider, y'all sound like raving mad doomsday cult lunatics and it's hilarious to me. It doesn't help that they stuff their games to the brim with half-sensical edgy apocalyptic mumbo jumbo.

That's only really true for HI3 when you're talking about what happens in the Previous Era though. I'd say stuff that happens in Star Rail is more apocalyptic, the Eternal Freeze caused by the Stellaron on Jarilo-VI is more apocalyptic than anything that happens during the Current Era of HI3 and you learn that the Anti-Matter Legion and Stellarons have completely destroyed other worlds before the protagonist came along too.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I conceptually like the stalker daily the least, because it doesn't feel like something ~~my character~~ would go along with, but yeah the quiz ones are probably the most annoying to actually get.

This patch feels like it's coming at the right time for me, because a 'why am I logging in daily to do this?' feeling has been creeping in a bit the last week. It's pretty easy to ignore so far since the grind is so minimal, but I'm pretty much coming to peace with the idea that I'm going to end up taking breaks at some point, and probably not in the super distant future. Fortunately I've decided I don't really care about Memory of Chaos, so losing out on jade income isn't all that big a deal since the story's probably never going to require me to have more characters than I already do, so anything past this is just extra.

It's the android ones I hate the most. I swear to God I've been given the same daily mission three times in a row before and it was the drat android one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That's only really true for HI3 when you're talking about what happens in the Previous Era though. I'd say stuff that happens in Star Rail is more apocalyptic, the Eternal Freeze caused by the Stellaron on Jarilo-VI is more apocalyptic than anything that happens during the Current Era of HI3 and you learn that the Anti-Matter Legion and Stellarons have completely destroyed other worlds before the protagonist came along too.

It's the android ones I hate the most. I swear to God I've been given the same daily mission three times in a row before and it was the drat android one.

I am curious about where they are going with the current arc in relation to Star Rail. They introduced an entity that goes around destroying bubble universes named Sa, and if Terminus is the Cocoon of Finality, Sa could be Nanook. You know if they want to have the games connected, which is iffy despite Welt being the Welt. But I want to believe.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

franxx is far too het to be in honkai

irrespective of anything else, this

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

1.3 characters details have been datamined.

Subject to change and all that, but Blade and Kafka's kits didn't change between 1.1 and now, so this at least should be very close to their final numbers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

1.3 characters details have been datamined.

Subject to change and all that, but Blade and Kafka's kits didn't change between 1.1 and now, so this at least should be very close to their final numbers.
if you want the tl;dr

Fu Xuan: Quantum Preservation. Skill makes allies split the damage they take between themselves and Fu Xuan, and gives them a small HP/Crit Rate buff, both lasting 3 turns. It also gives allies a one time debuff block. If she uses it again while the buff is already up to refresh it instead of letting it fall off, she gives herself a big chunk of energy back. Talent passively reduces the damage the party takes and gives Fu Xuan a big heal when she falls below 50% HP, but she only has one charge of the passive heal to start with. Ultimate deals HP scaling damage to all enemies and gives her another charge of the heal on her Talent, as well as giving allies a small heal.

Her role is combining a healer and a shielder into one. Seems like she'd need a lot of energy restore and HP but she seems pretty good at her job.

SSR Dan Heng: Imaginary Destruction. Skill buffs his basic attack and doesn't consume skill points to use. He can stack it up to 3 times but they have to be consecutive uses, and they get eaten when he uses his basic attack. Using his buffed up attacks is what consumes skill points, rather than granting them like normal basic attacks. One stack is just a stronger basic attack with 3 hits instead of 2. Two stacks is a much stronger basic attack with 4 hits and a small splash to adjacent targets, and slightly increases his crit damage. 3 stacks is a much stronger basic attack with 7 hits and a large splash to adjacent targets, and greatly increases his crit damage. His talent gives him extra attack based on how many hits he's doing per attack. His ult is a strong single hit with a small splash to adjacent enemies, and gives him two stacks of Sacrosancta, which he can consume instead of skill points.

His role seems like a strong pseudo-aoe damage dealer who can go skill point neutral. I admit I might have misread his kit because it's slightly convoluted.

Lynx: Quantum Abundance. Skill increases a target's max HP and heals them. If they're Destruction or Preservation, it also puts a taunt on them. Ult is an AOE heal that dispels debuffs from all allies. Her talent makes both her skill and her ult also apply a heal over time.

She's a pretty straightforward healer, but having a second 4* healer seems really nice. The max HP increase and taunt also seem like they could have a lot of use with either characters who want to be on low HP, characters who deal damage based on their HP rather than attack, counter-attack based characters, or some combination of the 3.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

dang, lynx sounds like a solid fit for my Clara carry. hadn't been planning to pull her before, but now...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I see some risk in applying the taunt on people you definitely don't want targeted, just because you had to heal them.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Clarste posted:

I see some risk in applying the taunt on people you definitely don't want targeted, just because you had to heal them.

At least she has her ult to heal people without increasing agro and full party dispel that can be used out of turn sounds really good

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Thanks for posting those kits. I don't think I would like the playstyle of Dragon Dan, as cool as he looks. I think I might go with Blade after all if I feel the need for a 5 star dps.

Fu Xuan and Lynx look cool, but I only want Lynx because she's a Landau.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Lynx will be great in my Clara team for EVEN MORE aggro stacking on Clara. Also I love her design.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

padijun posted:

I really hate the ones where you have to be that stalkers proxy because she’s too lazy to do it herself

We are totally helping her Single White Female poor Tamelia

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
There a good spreadsheet helper for this like there was when I played final fantasy record keeper? I need to get my nerd on.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

They stripped away Fu Xuan's damage, which is a bit sad to me, but at least they gave her back the extra turn on her skill which is nice qol I guess. I liked her original kit where she felt like a split between a destruction and preservation character, but now she's much more just firmly in a preservation solo sustain role. Fits the box better at least, but boring.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Her Crit Rate and Crit Damage (at E1) buffs seem like a nice mix of Preservation, Abundance and Harmony with her heal as well

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Eimi posted:

They stripped away Fu Xuan's damage, which is a bit sad to me, but at least they gave her back the extra turn on her skill which is nice qol I guess. I liked her original kit where she felt like a split between a destruction and preservation character, but now she's much more just firmly in a preservation solo sustain role. Fits the box better at least, but boring.

Still sounds useless for Yanqing, which sucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

her gimmick was always gonna be incompatible with yanqing. yanqing wants hard shielding so he can actually get his buffs

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Just chiming in that I would be down for a HI3 thread. I started playing after HSR came out and just hit 81 over there. Doing Chapters 26-28 and am really enjoying the story. I'm excited to see 1.5 and whatever they do with 2.0. It feels a lot more Fate-ish in terms of how they structure the dialogue/exposition and is just as enjoyable (albeit different) as HSR.

Also cannot wait for the new story stuff in HSR tomorrow. It's been fun doing relic grinding on AFK mode for the past few weeks but it'll be great to get back into the initial draw.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

sevenflow posted:

Just chiming in that I would be down for a HI3 thread. I started playing after HSR came out and just hit 81 over there. Doing Chapters 26-28 and am really enjoying the story. I'm excited to see 1.5 and whatever they do with 2.0. It feels a lot more Fate-ish in terms of how they structure the dialogue/exposition and is just as enjoyable (albeit different) as HSR.

Also cannot wait for the new story stuff in HSR tomorrow. It's been fun doing relic grinding on AFK mode for the past few weeks but it'll be great to get back into the initial draw.

Everything from Chapters 13-28 in HI3 is great storywise imo. But then it starts to dip in quality. I hope it can find its footing once Part 2 begins proper.

As for HSR, I hope Phantylia has good build up leading to her fight.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just make the thread already.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Since we're in the closing hours of his banner, question for Luocha havers in the thread - do you find him fun to play?

I tried his trial and did the companion quest and while I loved the narrative in the latter his actual playstyle felt pretty bland to me at first blush, which may just be how healing supports are in HSR (so far the only one I have is Nat). If he ramps up and is a banger to use with certain team comps or builds, I'd love to know - I know he's objectively a great character for what he brings to the table but he just didn't grab me with some kind of interesting playstyle whereas all their other 5 stars have so far, even if I haven't rolled for them.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Even though current banner is ending soon, the new one isn’t gonna go live till tomorrows update right?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Beluga Snail posted:

Since we're in the closing hours of his banner, question for Luocha havers in the thread - do you find him fun to play?

I tried his trial and did the companion quest and while I loved the narrative in the latter his actual playstyle felt pretty bland to me at first blush, which may just be how healing supports are in HSR (so far the only one I have is Nat). If he ramps up and is a banger to use with certain team comps or builds, I'd love to know - I know he's objectively a great character for what he brings to the table but he just didn't grab me with some kind of interesting playstyle whereas all their other 5 stars have so far, even if I haven't rolled for them.

He's incredibly strong and basically never has to use sp. He packs a lot of utility into one team slot. He's a healer with very strong single target heals and his aoe heal depends on his field being up/how fast your characters are. Bailu in comparison is kind of an erudition healer, so she's great at healing the entire group but can't focus like Luocha can. And even with a whatever 4* cone, he still heals for a ridiculous amount, like 2.5-3k which is a full heal for a dps. He is very good and if you like him as a character, you will enjoy having him around. Is he a must pull? I wouldn't say so Bailu and Gepard can each handle their respective jobs fine, but by having a cleanse and a purge in the same kit he will always have utility and scenario's where he's very good even if you have a ton of other options.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Luocha seems strong as hell for MoC but for the other 99% of my gametime auto battling regular content I'd rather have nat, she's much easier.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Beluga Snail posted:

He's excellent but if you play him right he'll pretty much never use his skill. So he'll be spamming his ultimate and basic attack, mostly.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Overhealing is just something that’s so easily achieved. Since you just need enough healing to not die. So using my saved gems for a healer that just has flex. options isn’t that big a draw.
Different from Silver Wolf who changes the entire battle approach

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I enjoy never having to press his skill button and also dispelling all the jackass monsters that come with obnoxious buff skills.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Being able to just passively heal through his free skill uses and his field are his biggest draw since it makes him incredibly SP positive. If it helps you can think of it as him allowing your other characters to do their own cool poo poo more often since your obligatory sustain party member doesn't have to spend any SP.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

While not conclusive I like this video to fully demonstrate the differences between all the defensive supports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWvCe8TTIdg

It's against a fairly high damage abyss that's obviously extremely favorable to Luocha, but the results are interesting regardless. He does a run of Seele hypercarry and then Clara hypercarry with each defensive support, Louocha, Bailu, Natasha, and Gepard. Compares time taken, sp used, and deaths.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Luocha got me to get rid of Gepard [Mind you, my Gepard also has his 5* LC] just so I could mix it up a bit, because his reactive heal is enough to keep me alive no matter how lovely things get. It lets me throw more damage in there and use the Fireblazer as the only defensive support if needed. I can hold his Ult to get something off the boss/mobs that I really don't want them to have, or I can actively heal to cleanse something lovely off people. Mostly it's just blow the Ult whenever and constantly be attacking. Because his heal is based on ATK, his ATK is stacked. I think I'm at like 3K now? And I could definitely go higher. He's not even ascended 70 yet. Just regular 70.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

blizzardvizard posted:

Being able to just passively heal through his free skill uses and his field are his biggest draw since it makes him incredibly SP positive. If it helps you can think of it as him allowing your other characters to do their own cool poo poo more often since your obligatory sustain party member doesn't have to spend any SP.
Yeah, the ability to drop fat nearly 3000-health restoring single heals as a follow-up already makes Luocha great, but his field straight up heals more than Natasha's ult after a few hits

Anyway, Sushang's gonna be on the Blade banner which, considering I'm pulling for Blade, is great for me because I only have her at E1 and need a reliable physical damager for MoC

Also Natasha who I already have at E6, but hey, all the quicker to save up for one of the shop 5-star lightcones (it's gonna be Bronya's)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

JT Jag posted:

Also Natasha who I already have at E6, but hey, all the quicker to save up for one of the shop 5-star lightcones (it's gonna be Bronya's)

this, I'm on nat e8 now already, excited for more!