Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My Facebook ads and recommended posts are nonstop superhero poo poo and I do not want to see it. It's so dumb; logging in and scrolling through screens of "Top 10 Most Brutal Comic Book Deaths" and "Most Powerful Characters in the MCU" makes me go on Facebook less and less. I only log in to check in on events and stuff, for the love of god stop showing me fake posters and rumors for Deadpool 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Neorxenawang posted:

Facebook has turned into this also recently... My feed is easily 70% ads and "suggested" posts.

for faacebook on pc, you can just install facebook purity, which has the added benefit of being able to force your feed to chronological without it resetting at random. On mobile i have no idea

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

LifeLynx posted:

My Facebook ads and recommended posts are nonstop superhero poo poo and I do not want to see it. It's so dumb; logging in and scrolling through screens of "Top 10 Most Brutal Comic Book Deaths" and "Most Powerful Characters in the MCU" makes me go on Facebook less and less. I only log in to check in on events and stuff, for the love of god stop showing me fake posters and rumors for Deadpool 3.

Facebook is irredeemable trash and this is all it shows me too.

Mindless crap targeted to keep you scrolling and nothing else, and once you're done scrolling you realize you didn't retain a single piece of information.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Facebook succeeded in boiling the frog. Now it’s just spattery guts floating in boiling ad and disinformation sludge, with patches of horribly burned people clambered atop semi-solid bits insisting that the water’s fine, Trump is still president, and that the shirts they bought with algorithmically filled-in details were a great gift from their demonrat granddaughters.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
If you're using ublock origin on PC at least it's very easy to add a script line that removes all of the "suggested for you" stuff

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Facebook was already hitting the point where no one under boomer age was voluntarily on it, not surprised it's hit end-stage enshittification by now.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Good to know that the massive drop in FB quality isn't just happening to me. Over the last 6 months or so the ads and autoplayed videos have become so prevalent and so, so bad. At first I tried hiding the comic book and Joe Rogan-esque meme poo poo, but that just seemed to make it worse. I started get like weird SE Asian or Arab meme posts that are totally incomprehensible to me instead, and now it's autoplaying hosed up videos of violent robberies, people feeding hamsters to snakes, etc.

It's such a shame that a lot of the really active niche hobby groups I follow are still all based on FB, because I would have ditched it months ago if they weren't.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
poo poo. I guess I won't try to squelch the comic book stuff then.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

poo poo. I guess I won't try to squelch the comic book stuff then.

I always assumed that FB was pretty strict in its content moderation of videos, but apparently there's a whole swathe of stuff, like animal abuse and crime CCTV videos, that's acceptable.

The first time I encountered this was when I was scrolling through my feed late at night and saw a video of someone holding a hamster, which I assumed was some anodyne cute animal video; imagine my surprise when it proceeded a few seconds later to showing that person feeding the live hamster to a giant toad in graphic HD detail.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
facebook's content delivery strategy does seem to be finding any reason, no matter how flimsy, that a person might be interested in a thing and then plastering their feed with anything remotely related. this probably works fine for the big money maker of radicalising people into andrew tate and qanon but for me it just decided one day I was really into pink floyd and that was all I saw for a few weeks. presumably one of my friends is a big floyd-head or I just scrolled past something too slowly once. probably doesn't help that the actual posts from my contacts on there are like, three things per day at this point

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Angepain posted:

probably doesn't help that the actual posts from my contacts on there are like, three things per day at this point
I've seen the same thing. Facebook used to be the way for people I knew to chat and share random stuff that they were doing, but now even digging through the menus to reach the Feed > Friends option, there are only a fraction of the daily posts there used to be. The whole experience has become so enshittened, people just aren't bothering with it any more.

A quick look now at the main feed gives me:
Post from my sister (2 hrs ago)
Advert
Suggested for you
Post from a friend (18 mins ago)
Advert
Post from group I followed ages ago but haven't looked at for over a year
Post from a friend (12 hrs ago)
Advert
Suggested for you
Reels (never once clicked on one)
Advert
Post from a friend (2 days ago)
Post from group I followed ages ago but haven't looked at for over a year
Advert
Suggested for you
Reply from someone I don't know to a friend's post from a few days ago
Advert

So that's several screens of scrolling for (charitably) five posts of what Facebook was created to show in the first place!

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
From the sound of things, Facebook stopped being in the social network business and just transitioned over into being television instead. ... television where you're not allowed to change the channel, even.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
From my personal experience, Facebook is surviving by being the central place for community event postings if you're an adult normie and not terminally online (that's pretty much the only reason I haven't deactivated my account). No one I know is particularly happy to use Facebook, but the network advantage it has by being the most common denominator platform is keeping other options from growing.

Facebook Marketplace also seems to still be popular.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My Facebook feed is mostly friends and groups I'm a member of. I have some ad blockers which might be helping, although ads to slip through. No autoplaying videos, that's for sure.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I'm in some FB Messenger groups, but I only check actual facebook maybe once a year. I feel bad about the people who sent me a happy birthday message like five months earlier, but then I realize these are people who haven't disabled birthday notifications by 2023, and are writing greetings to people they haven't talked to since high school more than two decades ago, and I have to imagine they must be used to unrequited birthday wishes by now.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010

Angepain posted:

facebook's content delivery strategy does seem to be finding any reason, no matter how flimsy, that a person might be interested in a thing and then plastering their feed with anything remotely related.

I bought a new car for the first time in a decade, and after spending a few months researching and figuring out what car to buy, my Facebook and YouTube is now assuming I'm a huge car guy and feeding me nonstop car posts

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

MojoAZ posted:

I bought a new car for the first time in a decade, and after spending a few months researching and figuring out what car to buy, my Facebook and YouTube is now assuming I'm a huge car guy and feeding me nonstop car posts

"...but ya gently caress ONE goat!!!"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I’ve apparently done a pretty good job covering up my metaphorical digital trail because my YouTube suggestions are just my subscriptions now with occasional very highly related videos. I never see stuff related to stuff I search for.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I suspect that facebook treats even scrolling over a post as a read for the purposes of interest analysis, meaning that the user is very rapidly shunted into a feedback loop on however a topic is tagged.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not just in the AI garbage where algorithms are prone to gorging themselves on their own excrement and going insane.

Reminds me of the endless scrolling interfaces for streaming services that are made to hide much or how little content they actually have.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

I suspect that facebook treats even scrolling over a post as a read for the purposes of interest analysis, meaning that the user is very rapidly shunted into a feedback loop on however a topic is tagged.

Do you think on phones or tablets that they can track at the level of what one’s eyes are looking at?

Edit: I think I remember seeing patent stuff for that posted at some point. No idea when that was.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 19, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I’ve apparently done a pretty good job covering up my metaphorical digital trail because my YouTube suggestions are just my subscriptions now with occasional very highly related videos. I never see stuff related to stuff I search for.

I only search for things I want to show up in my recommendations. Otherwise I use incognito. It's all just too fragile. I only see relevant poo poo and it's great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Do you think on phones or tablets that they can track at the level of what one’s eyes are looking at?

Edit: I think I remember seeing patent stuff for that posted at some point. No idea when that was.

not generally, I think something just coming onscreen would be how it's worked. In practice it may be possible to track mouseover, and more broadly, one could use research to make assumptions about where onscreen someone looks most frequently.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The tech definitely exists. You'll see eye tracker stuff in e-sports streams.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Oh, that- well sure, with camera access, gaze tracking tech exists.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

whydirt posted:

From my personal experience, Facebook is surviving by being the central place for community event postings if you're an adult normie and not terminally online (that's pretty much the only reason I haven't deactivated my account). No one I know is particularly happy to use Facebook, but the network advantage it has by being the most common denominator platform is keeping other options from growing.

Facebook Marketplace also seems to still be popular.

Yeah I basically just use it to organize stuff if it involves a lot of people as the events thing is actually good for that and as you say it's a pretty common thing for everyone to have. Getting to the events page is actually hard these days though. It's actually not even on the first column of things you go to. You need to click on more to get it show up.
I mean look at this:

What is half that crap.
underneath events it continues:

Seriously what the hell is Ray band stories? did I click on a button "install random poo poo to facebook" or something? What is even happening with the bloated mess that is facebook these days.

Social media sites just really love to bloat out until they collapse in on themselves I guess.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

dr_rat posted:

Yeah I basically just use it to organize stuff if it involves a lot of people as the events thing is actually good for that and as you say it's a pretty common thing for everyone to have. Getting to the events page is actually hard these days though. It's actually not even on the first column of things you go to. You need to click on more to get it show up.
I mean look at this:

What is half that crap.
underneath events it continues:

Seriously what the hell is Ray band stories? did I click on a button "install random poo poo to facebook" or something? What is even happening with the bloated mess that is facebook these days.

Social media sites just really love to bloat out until they collapse in on themselves I guess.

Haha it really is like your nan's internet explorer.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nervous posted:

The tech definitely exists. You'll see eye tracker stuff in e-sports streams.

The tech definitely exists, but social media apps can't rely on having access to a camera pointing at your face, since everything's locked down by permissions systems that request authorization from the user before turning on the camera.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ray Ban stories are (I think) instagram stories posted by way of those sunglasses with a camera built in. (Sort of like those ones that Snapchat had a while ago.)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Facebook's UI has always been poo poo and the biggest poo poo point has always been "how do I get this crap I don't want to see out of my feed?" and you can practically hear it saying "you can't hide that, that's our business model!"

Today it's suggested content and their TikTok ripoff, before it was friends trying to get more lives for their lovely Facebook games, before that it was relatives posting garbage that you don't want to see but you don't want to unfriend them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For real y'all if you use FB on a PC just click your ublock origin icon, click the gear icon, paste this in there, enjoy your immensely better experience

code:
facebook.com###m_news_feed_stream article:has-text(/^(Suggested|Recommended|Post You May Like)/)
www.facebook.com##[aria-posinset] div:not(:only-child)>div:only-child>div:only-child>div:first-child[class=""]>div:not([data-0]):has-text(/^(Suggested|Reels)/):upward([aria-posinset])
I didn't write this script don't ask me how it works

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Papercut posted:

For real y'all if you use FB on a PC just click your ublock origin icon, click the gear icon, paste this in there, enjoy your immensely better experience

code:
facebook.com###m_news_feed_stream article:has-text(/^(Suggested|Recommended|Post You May Like)/)
www.facebook.com##[aria-posinset] div:not(:only-child)>div:only-child>div:only-child>div:first-child[class=""]>div:not([data-0]):has-text(/^(Suggested|Reels)/):upward([aria-posinset])
I didn't write this script don't ask me how it works

Looks like it parses the header for each post on your the phrases "Suggested", "Recommended", "Post You May Like", and "Reels". Then removes those from your feed.
The second one removing Reels doesn't seem to be working on my pc, but otherwise the experience is so much better. Too bad it is desktop only.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Old James posted:

Looks like it parses the header for each post on your the phrases "Suggested", "Recommended", "Post You May Like", and "Reels". Then removes those from your feed.
The second one removing Reels doesn't seem to be working on my pc, but otherwise the experience is so much better. Too bad it is desktop only.

It should work on mobile browsers as well.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Old James posted:

Too bad it is desktop only.

I have good news for you

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh gawd, it's happening.
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1682965644780904449?s=20
He's trying to resurrect his X brand again.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
X marks the spot! :haw:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Young Freud posted:

Oh gawd, it's happening.
https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1682965644780904449?s=20
He's trying to resurrect his X brand again.

Stop threatening me with a good time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

This is the most hilariously stupid poo poo ever. We're watching this idiot disappear up his own rear end in an almost literal sense.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Alkydere posted:

This is the most hilariously stupid poo poo ever. We're watching this idiot disappear up his own rear end in an almost literal sense.

If only he was really disappearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Alkydere posted:

:nws: https://www.extrafabulouscomics.com/_1218 :nws: