Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

This may not be the worst comic in this thread but it's the one I most consistently throw up my hands at.

Like, okay, this strip is now about mermaids turning into fish. Previously it was humans willingly turning themselves into plants. I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Given the attitudes displayed in this comic, it makes sense that Holbrook would be an MBA believer.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 20, 1958)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Honestly, this is what's kinda infuriating with newspaper comics. You're telling a story with maximum four panels a day and you choose to waste a panel on saying "yes, the prison is indeed empty".

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Scooby Doo jumped the shark as soon as they started hanging out with Batman and Robin.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Really side eying this dog being left outside in an open chickenwire cage.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 18, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Drac living his best life. :drac:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

So what do you think, the other dog will be there at the vet's getting treated or what?
The dog just misses Curtis Wilkins :(

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That last panel in Val is perfect.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

no comment

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Alhazred posted:

Honestly, this is what's kinda infuriating with newspaper comics. You're telling a story with maximum four panels a day and you choose to waste a panel on saying "yes, the prison is indeed empty".

I thought they left the non-political prisoners, so this means they got out too?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

I don't think I ever saw Hagar without his helmet. This is making me very uncomfortable

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm really trying to figure out what you could do to your toe while skateboarding that a bandage would help with at all, unless he wasn't wearing shoes?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Thranguy posted:

I thought they left the non-political prisoners, so this means they got out too?

Based on the sample size of one, the Bandar killed them all with poisonous arrows.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

WHADDAREYA BUYING?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, that's supposed to be Mindy, one of the twin girls who hang around all the time with that old writer lady. Supposedly, FW takes place 10 years after Crankshaft, despite it not making any sense due to how both strips tackle the same real-life issue at the same time. But the last arc in Funky Winkerbean had that incredibly stupid poo poo with the Time Janitor explaining away the discrepancy as a "Time Bubble" and that he was gonna remove it so that FW and Crankshaft now take place in the same time.

Please ignore that we just had this strip a couple weeks ago where Mopey Pete's girlfriend transformed back into a small child:

Just to make sure this is in this particular thread somewhere, Mindy is not one of the twin girls. She's Jeff's daughter, Ed's granddaughter, and one of the catalysts for Ruby's belated recognition at another convention. The one which got derailed because ONE SIDE, TOOTS, IT'S GUY TIME.

Aged-up versions of the twins (Amelia and Amanda, the ultimate interchangeable blondes) actually showed up in Funky Winkerbean several times when it was circling the drain, and one of their last acts before the Time Janitor handwave was graduating high school. That makes their backtracking especially cruel, because now they get to be 8 again.

You made me remember all of this. Grrr.

And speaking of "questioning the life choices that led me to this moment", Crankshaft's son-in-law haunts the dealers' room at the SDCC.

Mutts

Sally Forth, featuring Ted's dad bod.

Skippy (August 3, 1935)

Peanuts (July 20, 1976)

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 20, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (April 30-May 2, 1942)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 18, 2023

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

maybealabia posted:

That's the "new normal"

It's basically the opposite of the message of the original run, though

Things can eventually settle into being a different thing than they started as, but at first it often just seems like world building confusion

Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc basically kept you guessing whether the supernatural was real or not during the first season. The answer is very clear in the second season.

Enjoyed it, though. Need to splice some time to watch it again.

It also answered the "Why can Scooby Doo talk?" question, which I still think was probably better left as a genre convention, but the show was so wild at that point it's a minor gripe.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

maltesh posted:

Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc basically kept you guessing whether the supernatural was real or not during the first season. The answer is very clear in the second season.

Enjoyed it, though. Need to splice some time to watch it again.

It also answered the "Why can Scooby Doo talk?" question, which I still think was probably better left as a genre convention, but the show was so wild at that point it's a minor gripe.

Mystery Inc was some top poo poo. I feel like it shouldn't have worked, but it absolutely did. And Harlan Ellison kept on showing up?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 14, 2001)

Why is it that an explicitly boomer comic keeps reading my life?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Boomer comic just casually putting modern strips to shame with its accuracy in depicting how people hold/use cell phones.

Retail

Popcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ouch, that stinging Retail realism in writing. "You'll just have to come down on Electronics to make it happen." Should the warranties be useful, fairly priced, or reasonably expected? No, those drat clerks must be botching it!

Jucika "146 - Jucika Learns To Skate"

"Büfé = buffet/bar/canteen"

"147 - Jucika Receives A Present"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Caesar salad is actually not named after the emperor but Caesar Sardini who invented the salad in 1924:eng101:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This thread has probably litigated this thoroughly, but "I'm going to double my covid 10" is such clunky dialogue. Took me several minutes to figure out what the gently caress she was saying.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth, featuring Ted's dad bod.

Today's strip guest-written by Jimmy Johnson.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Bardiche Hotel

Toto’s Big Plan

End. Confirmed: Toto is a Good Dog.
(This would’ve hit harder if Q-Rais’ unrelentingly narrow speech bubbles had allowed me to actually have Dorothy call Monya “Monyanyan” throughout the comic as she did in Japanese.)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Alhazred posted:

Caesar salad is actually not named after the emperor but Caesar Sardini who invented the salad in 1924:eng101:

But, HE was named after the emperor so....

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

Bardiche Hotel

Toto’s Big Plan

End. Confirmed: Toto is a Good Dog.
(This would’ve hit harder if Q-Rais’ unrelentingly narrow speech bubbles had allowed me to actually have Dorothy call Monya “Monyanyan” throughout the comic as she did in Japanese.)

:qq: Toto

The gun runner making some bad choices, I wonder if she knew the inspector and had reason to want to take him out.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I mean she was pretty clearly a VERY bad gun runner; did you see how many completely unsold guns she had on her when she tried to shoot him?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Drakyn posted:

I mean she was pretty clearly a VERY bad gun runner; did you see how many completely unsold guns she had on her when she tried to shoot him?
I assumed she was transferring merch to a new safehouse, given that immediately after their first meeting there's a big deal made about how they raided the smugglers but all the merch had been moved.

Frankly I'm surprised at how strong she is.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Drakyn posted:

Standing on a dark street corner, yelling "people I can't GIVE these guns away!"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I love the concept of Eros as a hitman-type figure.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

PetraCore posted:

I assumed she was transferring merch to a new safehouse, given that immediately after their first meeting there's a big deal made about how they raided the smugglers but all the merch had been moved.

Frankly I'm surprised at how strong she is.

And they're all loaded too, or she just grabbed the one that was. Who transports guns loaded?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Who transports guns loaded?

more space-efficient than carrying the bullets in a proper separate box :patriot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

more space-efficient than carrying the bullets in a proper separate box :patriot:

They were out of boxes, the guns are just because they needed SOME way to transport 200 bullets from place to place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bruceski posted:

And they're all loaded too, or she just grabbed the one that was. Who transports guns loaded?
Keeping at least one, or a few, loaded for emergencies doesn't seem like a terrible idea.