Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I remember people hyping up Deku vs. Muscular as one of the best MHA fights when Season 3 was airing. Then I got there and :geno:

It felt like a step back from the Stain fight, where Deku recognized his limits and designed a new technique to get around them, which wound up being integral to fighting Stain. Against Muscular, he just breaks his arms twice and punches harderer and then instantly wins.

Like all of MHA's best fights, it isn't about the choreography but the emotional beats. Deku apologising to his mum and All Might as he's being crushed is heartbreaking and then him turning it around and going 1,000,000% is cool as hell. The final shot of him primal screaming with his arm shredded and the narration calls him Kota's hero is one of the best moments in the series easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nephthys posted:

Like all of MHA's best fights, it isn't about the choreography but the emotional beats. Deku apologising to his mum and All Might as he's being crushed is heartbreaking and then him turning it around and going 1,000,000% is cool as hell. The final shot of him primal screaming with his arm shredded and the narration calls him Kota's hero is one of the best moments in the series easily.

Yeah, there are pretty much no fights in MHA with what I'd call really good choreography, so the good fights in MHA are the ones that manage to land emotionally. It's why all the fights in this war have been loving boring and whatever.

United States of Smash is in the running for best moment in the entire series, and that fight consisted of two guys punching each others' arms.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 18, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Remember when it felt like deku hurting himself with his punches was going to have consequences, and so he learned to kick instead and then they introduced time reversal powers

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nuebot posted:

Remember when it felt like deku hurting himself with his punches was going to have consequences, and so he learned to kick instead and then they introduced time reversal powers

And now it’s “you can break your arms now cuz you’re a lot stronger so you won’t break them quite as much anymore”

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Larryb posted:

I’m still wondering how all this still squares with Deku’s narration at the beginning about this being the story of how he became the world’s greatest hero (though I suppose there are a lot of ways you could interpret that)

Deku became the best hero, which is the hero that punches the best.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Eh, we forgave orochimaru for worse

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Those kids had bad vibes

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Toga getting away with her crimes is about as frustrating as Hawks and his government assassination super squad getting away with theirs.

Maybe the series could touch on a peace built on bitter compromise where both sides have to accept the unacceptable? Oh, no, they're just punching each other, I hope the good murderers win.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was promised more sophisticated storytelling than Chrono Trigger's handling of Magus!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

Toga getting away with her crimes is about as frustrating as Hawks and his government assassination super squad getting away with theirs.

Maybe the series could touch on a peace built on bitter compromise where both sides have to accept the unacceptable? Oh, no, they're just punching each other, I hope the good murderers win.

Hawks only killed Twice in pretty reasonable circumstances, Nagant went to jail for the only justifiable murder she committed and I believe the safety commission got murked by Redestro so I wouldn't say anyone has gotten away with it.

Bitter compromise is lame. Let the lesbians be free.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nephthys posted:

Hawks only killed Twice in pretty reasonable circumstances, Nagant went to jail for the only justifiable murder she committed and I believe the safety commission got murked by Redestro so I wouldn't say anyone has gotten away with it.

Bitter compromise is lame. Let the lesbians be free.

You're... rooting for Ochako and Toga to defeat Japan?

:shrug: I guess I am too.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Send Toga back to jail imo

Send Uraraka with her

Imprison the world, it's gotten too dumb

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shinjobi posted:

Send Toga back to jail imo

Send Uraraka with her

Imprison the world, it's gotten too dumb

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

It's this plus how cheesy it is that the big connection is...wanting to talk romance about the guy you're both crushing on? Not to mention that as others have stated, this is what? Only the second time they've met and one of those times Ochaco was quite clearly afraid and freaked out by Toga so this is definitely a bit retcony. A big concern I've seen is the, "and then what" aspect. Okay so Toga has been subdued and will receive the therapy and help with managing her quirk. What about the mass murder and societal collapse that she was involved in? Minor or not, that's gonna carry a VERY heavy punishment and 100% rightfully so and I dunno how Japan does it, but might be grounds for trial as an adult.

With Toga specifically, being a minor who was a member of a group of adults is a pretty significant mitigating factor. While it's easy to forget based off their presentation, I think every other member of their group is at least 20.

IMO it's a *far* bigger mitigating factor than the stuff with her family/upbringing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t really know how much you can mitigate a national genocide tbh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

An entire nation's society has literally been broken down, I don't think you get to come back after that.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don’t really know how much you can mitigate a national genocide tbh

"You honor, I won't deny that my girlfriend has committed crimes..... but look at how cute her smile is!"

"Not Guilty!"

"Your honor, what about this smile?"

"All is forgiven."

"What about this one?"

"Straight to jail. 100 years no release."

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 18, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nephthys posted:

"You honor, I won't deny that my girlfriend has commits crimes..... but look at how cute her smile is!"

"Not Guilty!"

"Your honor, what about this smile?"

"All is forgiven."

"What about this one?"

"Straight to jail. 100 years no release."

Me testifying at the Hague: Oh so now women can't have hobbies

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair society kinda deserved it since Japan alone had created two powerful groups planning to tear it down and they kinda halfway succeeded in spite of the country being a surveillance state with police, contracted heroes, and literal covert murderer operatives

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Any society that let's Dr Robotnik practice medicine out in the open is doomed to fail

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

Any society that let's Dr Robotnik practice medicine out in the open is doomed to fail

But it's powered by tiny animals it is renewable!

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Dabi deserves a pardon. his father is endeavor.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

An entire nation's society has literally been broken down, I don't think you get to come back after that.

3 hour YouTube apology video.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I honestly really hate the concept that your parents being abusive or your past being terrible should be a free pass to not have to take responsibility or suffer the consequences for doing horrible things. A traumatic childhood can serve as a motive or a source of pathos, but it's not an excuse.

It wouldn't make Endeavor less of a shitbag if it was revealed that he became obsessed with competition because he was beaten by his dad for not winning in sports as a child, or AfO less of a shitbag if it was revealed that his comic obsession came because his mom smacked him around constantly because he was reading comic books instead of going to cram school. It would make both of them more sympathetic, but they would still be a domestic abuser and a mass murderer, respectively.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 19, 2023

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Elite posted:

Ukulele?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Stop killing people? Um, I'm literally neurodivergent and a minor?? lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Elite posted:

Gentle's time to shine

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i think its fine when fictional characters get to have redemption arcs if i like them or think the scene where it happens is good or cool. its not real so its w/e

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

studio mujahideen posted:

i think its fine when fictional characters get to have redemption arcs if i like them or think the scene where it happens is good or cool. its not real so its w/e

Sucks to be Toga.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In reality being mistreated by your parents or by society is not a good reason to be a serial killer and would brook no sympathy but in this comic removed from reality where all important members of this evil villain group (except AFO) are characterised as victims the way these criminals are treated reflects a lot on the themes and ideals of the story.

I would much rather have these guys be written as ultimately sympathetic and worthy of compassion even if that doesn’t land because of the enormity of their crimes and generally weak writing than have the comic say “yeah these dudes were failed by society but that don’t matter. They just evil, nothing to reflect on here”. Writing of this comic ain’t good but that would be worse.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

studio mujahideen posted:

This is true and it's why stuff like Darth Vader's death/redemption works well.

Unfortunately I don't think Horikoshi has done a good job with this for, like, any of the LoV besides maybe Dabi? Toga's story is "my parents and everyone around me were awful to me so I snapped and went on a several year long killing spree before joining up with an organized gang of murderers, then my friend died and I was sad about it and then a girl I've spent a total of ten minutes talking to across the entire length of the story told me that my smile is pretty instead of scary". Twice's story is "a guy who was dealt a terrible hand by life having a terrible psychotic break and joining a gang of murderers and continuing to murder people up to and beyond the point he was extrajudicially murdered by a government agent to stop him from continuing to murder people".

SyntheticPolygon posted:

In reality being mistreated by your parents or by society is not a good reason to be a serial killer and would brook no sympathy but in this comic removed from reality where all important members of this evil villain group (except AFO) are characterised as victims the way these criminals are treated reflects a lot on the themes and ideals of the story.

I would much rather have these guys be written as ultimately sympathetic and worthy of compassion even if that doesn’t land because of the enormity of their crimes and generally weak writing than have the comic say “yeah these dudes were failed by society but that don’t matter. They just evil, nothing to reflect on here”. Writing of this comic ain’t good but that would be worse.

Dabi is the counterpoint here. He was failed completely by his family and society, and he's purely evil, but there's a lot to reflect on there.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 19, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Kanos posted:

Even then he died right after avoiding the whole "welp we are best friends with a mass murderer now" thing that DBZ fully embraces.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Vegeta may have killed a lot of people, but he also wore the pink BADMAN shirt, so I forgive him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Vegeta, evil murderer but good dad. The anti-Endeavor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Even then he died right after avoiding the whole "welp we are best friends with a mass murderer now" thing that DBZ fully embraces.

It works fine in DBZ because DBZ isn't flirting with making any kind of serious societal commentary and operates on the "are you, at this moment, actively trying to kill the protagonists and/or their families? no? okay you're good" system of morality.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don’t think Dabi is treated as purely evil and the comic has gone to great lengths to have his fam try all they can to save him (by defeating him without killing him or him burning himself out)

I don’t think Dabi or Toga are particularly well written but y’know good they’re treated compassionately I think. The lip service to societal wrongs would feel even worse if they were treated as just evil.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah some of the discussion here feels very... idk, literal? in a way that the story isn't really trying to be

again, not even really a fan of the way the toga storyline has been handled outside of like the last two chapters

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SyntheticPolygon posted:

While I agree with the idea, it just hurts the overall message by making things WAAAY too disproportionate. Li,e instead of mass murderers they drew the line at just destruction of property and assault, but kept it to hero's, government adjacent, and if civilian targets still keep it from killing people. And if they DO kill people, give it the proper weight where they realise that they did something that you can't undo or come back from. It makes it easier to construct the whole redemption argument.

Kanos posted:

It works fine in DBZ because DBZ isn't flirting with making any kind of serious societal commentary and operates on the "are you, at this moment, actively trying to kill the protagonists and/or their families? no? okay you're good" system of morality.

Part of it is also that Vegeta is just so powerful that they really can't do much in the way of an actual punishment and any beings that would be powerful enougn to dole out said punishment are either evil, or cosmically indifferent due to the sheer scope of their office. They might find his actions distasteful, but it's below their paycheck. Piccolo mentions that his sacrifice vs Buu is pretty much pointless in terms of karmic retribution for all off the pain and suffering he's caused and will not be meeting Goku in the afterlife since he's going straight to hell.

Kanos posted:

Unfortunately I don't think Horikoshi has done a good job with this for, like, any of the LoV besides maybe Dabi? Toga's story is "my parents and everyone around me were awful to me so I snapped and went on a several year long killing spree before joining up with an organized gang of murderers, then my friend died and I was sad about it and then a girl I've spent a total of ten minutes talking to across the entire length of the story told me that my smile is pretty instead of scary". Twice's story is "a guy who was dealt a terrible hand by life having a terrible psychotic break and joining a gang of murderers and continuing to murder people up to and beyond the point he was extrajudicially murdered by a government agent to stop him from continuing to murder people".

Dabi is the counterpoint here. He was failed completely by his family and society, and he's purely evil, but there's a lot to reflect on there.

Agreed. I get Horikoshi is going with all of this, but it's not landing AT ALL and feels like you need to shut off parts of your brain to allow which is counter intuitive when trying to make a deep and complex point. Vader is also an interesting point since in the EU(no idea if it got brought over to canon), Leia explicitly tells Vader's force ghost that his one moment of goodness does not even come close to making up for all of the horrific pain and suffering he caused and helped facilitate up to including drugging and torturing her for information.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mystic Mongol posted:

The only way to solve all crimes forever is to do more crimes until the criminals stop doing crimes. I rest my case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm actually trying to remember, has anyone in the LoV ever shown an ounce of regret or remorse for their actions? Toga's absolutely been the most emotional about being internally conflicted, but she's internally conflicted because she's scared she's going to die like her friend did instead of because of all the people she stabbed to death.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 19, 2023