Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Silver2195 posted:

Occult is basically vibes-based magic, yeah.

Having the Psychic and the Bard use the same list is superficially a bit odd (going against the traditional "psionics is its own thing" approach), but all the mind-related stuff makes sense for both. Things like Telekinetic Projectile do feel strange for a Bard, though.

Depends on the type of bard, throwing a brick is definitely punk and thus perfectly in line with a bard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Piell posted:

Depends on the type of bard, throwing a brick is definitely punk and thus perfectly in line with a bard

The issue is that things like Telekinetic Projectile and Object Reading clearly evoke specific tropes associated with "psychic powers" rather than "magic." (Object Reading would feel less "psionic" and more "bardic" if it involved listening to the object instead of touching it, for example.)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 19, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

The issue is that things like Telekinetic Projectile and Object Reading clearly evoke specific tropes associated with "psychic powers" rather than "magic." (Object Reading would feel less "psionic" and more "bardic" if it involved listening to the object instead of touching it, for example.)

Definitely fits the parlor tricks and minor charlatan act a lot of bards have going on, though.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Occult is the least thematically coherent spell list because it loads the tropes of psychic powers down with the baggage of D&D's psionics (and, to a lesser extent, PF1e's distinctly Victorian pseudoscientific occultism), so you get the weird situation where bards can, for some reason, teleport and summon aberrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Random Golarion lore thought: doesn't the connection between Osirion and Egypt have an element of "one-shot revisionism" to it? It just calls attention to how a bunch of other countries on Golarion resemble Earth cultures with no explanation. Or are we supposed to assume that the Ulfen culture was influenced by the Norse gods, and the reason they don't worship them anymore is that the Norse gods all died during Ragnarok 1000 years ago?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Silver2195 posted:

Random Golarion lore thought: doesn't the connection between Osirion and Egypt have an element of "one-shot revisionism" to it? It just calls attention to how a bunch of other countries on Golarion resemble Earth cultures with no explanation. Or are we supposed to assume that the Ulfen culture was influenced by the Norse gods, and the reason they don't worship them anymore is that the Norse gods all died during Ragnarok 1000 years ago?

It does feel more like a legacy of D&D having the egyptian gods present in the big list o' gods than a choice made with wide-ranging worldbuilding in mind

anyway idk what "I want more super minor magical effects given mechanical backing, because it's cool and offers a glut of characterization options to have minor, out-of-combat superpowers that don't all come through the medium of spell circles forming around your hands or whatever the exact travel guide specifics are" has to do with wanting a return to ridiculous scaling growth or universal utility for magic users that typified old D&D editions/PF1

Things like the big table of side effects of deviant abilities are things I'd like more of, minor tools that offer a way of engaging with the in-game world through supernatural means and which flavor a character such that a magically adept player or NPC does more than being fundamentally mundane beyond casting a very specifically limited number of spells, both per day and in general, all through a very specific, formalized process

this has nothing whatsoever to do with my nonexistent disdain for PF2's magic system, the game balance, or even most of the secrets of magic book lol

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

A Meatslab posted:

Agreed!

I'm still trying to wrap my head around occult magic, though. My understanding is that unlike arcane being a formalized kind of scientific tradition, occult is more based on strong emotion and superstition. Am I off base?

One possible way to consider it is how the basic blocks of it compare and contrast. The difference between arcane and occult is the Material/Spiritual essence. So where arcane deals more with the material plane and how things interact with that, occult hits up ethereal and planes like that a lot more.
In a similar fashion, it contrasts Life/Mind with divine. So while divine deals more with the physical body, conditions, etc, occult has all the mental effects that divine doesn't touch.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Occult magic is about narrative, stories, and symbology

and also cthulhu

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Silver2195 posted:

I suspect the actual answer is just "Golarion has the actual Egyptian gods in it because Forgotten Realms has the actual Egyptian gods in it, and nearly everyone who was formative in developing Golarion previously wrote stuff for FR and carried a lot of baggage over from one setting to the other"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

To be fair, several official D&D campaign settings over the years have used entire pantheons of real-life gods. Mystara had tons of them. I still have my Wrath of the Immortals book somewhere.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I'm pretty sure Rasputin shows up in Golarion lore somehow, I know for a fact Baba Yaga shows up and is the same one from Earth.

Re: Occult spells, I agree that telekinetic projectile is a bit of an odd fit for occult stuff but I've always thought of it as THE SPIRITS getting mad and throwing poo poo around, poltergeist style. Its just an inaccurately named spell.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Silver2195 posted:

Things like Telekinetic Projectile do feel strange for a Bard, though.

Flavour this as the bard rocking out so hard the vibrations cause objects to shake loose from nearby shelves.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If anyone wants to watch an AP that definitely isn't scripted and simulates the real game experience I recommend this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDYPUMl1inQ

It's awful. One of the players doesn't seem to have ever read her spells or abilities before sitting down at the table, and for some reason they gave her one of the most complicated classes, for a super authentic experience just like your table at home. Spoiler: she forgets what "Healing Plaster" does every single episode. Great at improv, hopeless at rules.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

boxen posted:

I'm pretty sure Rasputin shows up in Golarion lore somehow, I know for a fact Baba Yaga shows up and is the same one from Earth.

Re: Occult spells, I agree that telekinetic projectile is a bit of an odd fit for occult stuff but I've always thought of it as THE SPIRITS getting mad and throwing poo poo around, poltergeist style. Its just an inaccurately named spell.

I think there's an AP where Baba Yaga sends oyur party to 'our' Earth where you fight Rasputin, save Anastasia and being her back to Golarion to become a ruler. Or something along those lines.

Golarion is very much a Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms mishmash and it's better for it sometimes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think there's an AP where Baba Yaga sends oyur party to 'our' Earth where you fight Rasputin, save Anastasia and being her back to Golarion to become a ruler. Or something along those lines.

Golarion is very much a Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms mishmash and it's better for it sometimes.

Yep, that’s Reign of Winter for 1e. It has the amazing art of the iconic gunslinger getting an early mounted machine gun and just going ham with it while she grins like a fiend.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

boxen posted:

https://www.aonprd.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Animated%20Tank

Please enjoy this monster

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Arivia posted:

Yep, that’s Reign of Winter for 1e. It has the amazing art of the iconic gunslinger getting an early mounted machine gun and just going ham with it while she grins like a fiend.

It's fine art.

LukasR23
Nov 25, 2019
Reign of winter is incredible. I’m currently running it for a 2e group (converting on the fly) and it’s been a blast for all involved. They’re just about to kick off book 3, but I’ve been seeding in some of the Russian aspects as they go and having Rasputin take a slightly more active role.

My only real issue with the adventure path is that the canon ending puts a Romanov in charge of Irrisen of all the stupid things, but one of the PCs has designs on that throne so I can happily ignore it for any future campaigns.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

LukasR23 posted:

Reign of winter is incredible. I’m currently running it for a 2e group (converting on the fly) and it’s been a blast for all involved. They’re just about to kick off book 3, but I’ve been seeding in some of the Russian aspects as they go and having Rasputin take a slightly more active role.

My only real issue with the adventure path is that the canon ending puts a Romanov in charge of Irrisen of all the stupid things, but one of the PCs has designs on that throne so I can happily ignore it for any future campaigns.

She isn't really a Romanov.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah, I remembered it being something insane like that. Baba Yaga is in the Lost Omens Legends book as well as being a "rare" witch patron I think.

Has Paizo ever retconned a part of Golarion lore? Made something non-canon? One thing I like and other people I've talked to like about Pathfinder is that there's an established world with its own history and lore. Some of that is from Adventure Paths (with a canon ending), other stuff is from lore dump books (like the lost omens stuff) or the novels, but all of it seems like its cohesive.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

boxen posted:

Yeah, I remembered it being something insane like that. Baba Yaga is in the Lost Omens Legends book as well as being a "rare" witch patron I think.

Has Paizo ever retconned a part of Golarion lore? Made something non-canon? One thing I like and other people I've talked to like about Pathfinder is that there's an established world with its own history and lore. Some of that is from Adventure Paths (with a canon ending), other stuff is from lore dump books (like the lost omens stuff) or the novels, but all of it seems like its cohesive.

They are engaging in some fairly major retcons as we speak in the process of De-OGL-ifying things (mostly to do with renaming stuff).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

boxen posted:

Yes. Golarion was originally kind of cobbled together on the fly, and the first set of retcons was mistakes putting things together, stuff they grabbed from D&D inadvertently and other sources that they couldn't really use. This thread goes over a good portion of it: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2t9d7?Lets-collect-retcons

A second set of changes started in about 2013 and was fixes to make the world more inclusive and better about representation. This has continued through today and future products, with stuff like the Mwangi Expanse and the new books on Tian Xia.

There has also been a very small amount of content that's been made non-canon because Paizo had some gross ideas about what should be included in terms of evil and horrifying acts, monsters, etc that's been removed. The most prominent example is Folca, the daemon harbinger of child abduction, strangers, and candy! (https://aonprd.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Folca, Erik Mona's apology here: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uq7d&page=4?SoFolca#182)

And then yeah, there's going to be more changes with the removal of OGL content.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
One thing that's always irritated me is the way the Pathfinder lore wiki doesn't always take into account retcons (especially when they're implicit rather than explicit) or even the changes caused by in-universe events, and ends up treating a lot of (often inane or tasteless) outdated lore as canon.

A good example of what I mean is the article on slavery. Half the countries listed have abolished slavery in-universe, and another quarter have been implicitly retconned as never having slavery in the first place.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 19, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

One thing that's always irritated me is the way the Pathfinder lore wiki doesn't always take into account retcons (especially when they're implicit rather than explicit) or even the changes caused by in-universe events, and ends up treating a lot of (often inane or tasteless) outdated lore as canon.

The Pathfinder wiki (unless you mean a separate Pathfinder lore wiki) is extremely under-serviced and just out of date in general. I don't think it's intentional, I think basically no one actually works on it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Arivia posted:

There has also been a very small amount of content that's been made non-canon because Paizo had some gross ideas about what should be included in terms of evil and horrifying acts, monsters, etc that's been removed. The most prominent example is Folca, the daemon harbinger of child abduction, strangers, and candy! (https://aonprd.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Folca, Erik Mona's apology here: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2uq7d&page=4?SoFolca#182)

On a similar note, there's been some shifts in focus that I'd call retcon-adjacent. Things didn't necessarily change in-universe, but the way they handle the concept has changed enough that there's a noticeable difference and it makes it hard to . Ogres were designed as the villains of an incestuous hillbilly horror movie and they're still described as such in the Bestiary, but they aren't writing adventures like the Hook Mountain Massacres that throw their grossness right in people's faces. The iconics and general female character design tended towards the weirdly horny, but they aren't retroactively more chaste. They just put on a thicker shirt in the past decade. Until they're retconned out in the OGL changes, drow fit here too. They're still there, but when they come up their weird racial curse vibes are downplayed but not retroactively removed.

But then, I'd also call a lot of the changes they made to make the setting more inclusive this kind of change instead of a retcon. The Mwangi Expanse didn't retroactively not have a Cheliax colony taking up space for no good reason. It just got overthrown between editions and they started being written better.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

The drow have been completely retconned out of existence as of the Remaster. They're just not a thing in Pathfinder and Golarion anymore.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Lame! Drow and dark elves are hot and popular, nerds are almost as horny for them as they are for tieflings nowadays; just rename them or something.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The Cavern Elf heritage will still be around, so you can still play an underground elf if you want to.

The big change here is to ongoing Darklands-related plotlines, where drow have basically been replaced by zyss serpentfolk. I'm not really a fan of this; just as drow were gradually moving away from their "always evil" baggage, they've been replaced by mustache-twirling villains (or at least they would be if snakes could grow mustaches). I think the Paizo writers are aware of this and plan to add some nuance to the serpentfolk, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 19, 2023

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Arivia posted:

Yes. Golarion was originally kind of cobbled together on the fly, and the first set of retcons was mistakes putting things together, stuff they grabbed from D&D inadvertently and other sources that they couldn't really use. This thread goes over a good portion of it: https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2t9d7?Lets-collect-retcons

A second set of changes started in about 2013 and was fixes to make the world more inclusive and better about representation. This has continued through today and future products, with stuff like the Mwangi Expanse and the new books on Tian Xia.

And then yeah, there's going to be more changes with the removal of OGL content.
A lot of the retconnish stuff was due to poor editorial management like the Sarenrae sect that was a racist, and Erastil being a mysoginistic poo poo. From what Ive been told, the first PFS book published is wildly inaccurate as they wrote it when the tone of PFS Organized Play wasn't entirely set.

But yeah most of Pathfinder's changes stems are more subtle than drastic.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 19, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Silver2195 posted:

The Cavern Elf heritage will still be around, so you can still play an underground elf if you want to.

The big change here is to ongoing Darklands-related plotlines, where drow have basically been replaced by zyss serpentfolk. I'm not really a fan of this; just as drow were gradually moving away from their "always evil" baggage, they've been replaced by mustache-twirling villains (or at least they would be if snakes could grow mustaches). I think the Paizo writers are aware of this and plan to add some nuance to the serpentfolk, though.

I haven't read up on the serpentfolk beyond what shows up in Strength of Thousand, but I feel like you can add that necessary nuance pretty easily. They had enough texture in that adventure path that they could be a clearly antagonistic force while having humanizing touches like how their xenophobia is wildly toxic internally, or how they're easing up on their slave caste in border communities because there's more crossover with other societies there and keeping them completely locked down with no respect given is not going to fly for much longer.

(Then again, I was first exposed to Pathfinder drow when they were still at their edgiest and most vaguely racist with Second Darkness, so I'm not exactly going to miss them.)

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

shame, mustache twirling evil rules

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
2E is really taking me a while to take a shine to. My first character was a Druid, but I was new enough to 2E and it felt different enough that I never really felt good about playing it. I was also really unsatisfied by my Alchemist- this was before the errata and frankly the way it plays even now doesn't really appeal to me. I'm playing a Rogue now, and that's much more appealing to me. I like the role in combat well enough, and the skills are great (something I felt the Alchemist and Druid really lacked).

I'm still stuck on 1e, I guess. I'm trying to find the language to articulate why that is beyond, "I tend to have more fun". Maybe it has to do with the side of the table I'm playing on? I DM my 1e games and play in my 2e ones.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
To be fair, alchemist is the worst feeling class in the game and it isn't even close. You basically have a limited number of cantrips, spellcaster levels of accuracy, and an array of buffs that don't stack with magic items.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Being knocked unconscious also knocks your weapons out of your hands :(
This is a clear bias against dual-wielders. I only ever need one free hand in life, sovereign glue my hand to my primary weapon please. There's mutagens that actually do it but they only last like ten minutes instead of, like, the one hour I need to be properly prepped for battle.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KPC_Mammon posted:

To be fair, alchemist is the worst feeling class in the game and it isn't even close. You basically have a limited number of cantrips, spellcaster levels of accuracy, and an array of buffs that don't stack with magic items.

It's so nonsense to me that bombers/mutagenists/toxicologists don't get better proficiency in the thing their study emphasizes (so alchemical bombs/unarmed strikes/simple weapons respectively).

I really don't think bombers getting expert at 5th and master at 13th in bombs only would really ruin things.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask (seeing as, well, this is in TG! Doesn't seem like there's a thread in VG though) but I've got some quick WotR questions, if anyone wouldn't mind sharing insight.

SO! I'm pretty inexperienced with Pathfinder as my TTRPG experience with it is minimal, but I've started playing as an overwhelming sorcerer as my first character. (Half-elf btw, with 'Kindred bloodline', I think it's called?) I'm thinking I'll mostly focus on evocation, as it's always fun to incinerate enemies, but what mythic paths are good for it? I'm still early on, but as I'm NG-aligned, I'm thinking about either Angel or Azata, especially as they more-or-less seem to make the most sense for a good crusade leader role as per the story, while also having some nice abilities.

But also, what's the deal with multiclassing in Pathfinder/WotR? Is that worth pursuing for a sorcerer, or would I be better off sticking with the one class? I wouldn't mind some kind of rogue-ish abilities (assuming stealth can actually be useful in this, rather than being a bit 'meh') for example, but class synergies are the main thing I'm unfamiliar with in Pathfinder

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask (seeing as, well, this is in TG! Doesn't seem like there's a thread in VG though) but I've got some quick WotR questions, if anyone wouldn't mind sharing insight.

SO! I'm pretty inexperienced with Pathfinder as my TTRPG experience with it is minimal, but I've started playing as an overwhelming sorcerer as my first character. (Half-elf btw, with 'Kindred bloodline', I think it's called?) I'm thinking I'll mostly focus on evocation, as it's always fun to incinerate enemies, but what mythic paths are good for it? I'm still early on, but as I'm NG-aligned, I'm thinking about either Angel or Azata, especially as they more-or-less seem to make the most sense for a good crusade leader role as per the story, while also having some nice abilities.

But also, what's the deal with multiclassing in Pathfinder/WotR? Is that worth pursuing for a sorcerer, or would I be better off sticking with the one class? I wouldn't mind some kind of rogue-ish abilities (assuming stealth can actually be useful in this, rather than being a bit 'meh') for example, but class synergies are the main thing I'm unfamiliar with in Pathfinder

I think you wanted to ask people in the PF CRPG thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869934

This thread is about the second edition of PF, which is very different mechanically from the first edition which was used in the CRPGs. Those are good games though; have fun!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Megazver posted:

I think you wanted to ask people in the PF CRPG thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869934

This thread is about the second edition of PF, which is very different mechanically from the first edition which was used in the CRPGs. Those are good games though; have fun!

Ahhh, right! :doh: Not sure how I missed that thread - thanks!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Paizo is redoing their website to make it actually usable by a human! This is the best news ever and everyone should rejoice.

Go to their website while you can and marvel at how loving awful it is, and how you can't actually log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I am rejoicing!

Their current website is straight out of the early '90s. It's absolutely insane they've managed to scrape by as much success as they have with such a terrible website and store.

A sign of the quality of their stuff I guess.