Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

Hmm let me look up empires whose internal transportation began to fail and become more chaotic and unreliable, so I can see how that was no biggie and they lasted forever...

tbf expanding the railroads wasn’t exactly stabilizing in most places either. also expanding globalization by the containership trade hasn’t been stabilizing.

any change in transportation changes the rate of profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Teens never change.

quote:

While Logan’s parents appreciated her metamorphosis, particularly that she was regularly coming home for dinner to recount her wanderings, they grew distressed that they couldn’t check in on their daughter on a Friday night. And after she conveniently lost the smartphone they had asked her to take to Paris for a summer abroad program, they were distraught. Eventually, they insisted that she at least start carrying a flip phone.

“I still long to have no phone at all,” she said. “My parents are so addicted. My mom got on Twitter, and I’ve seen it tear her apart. But I guess I also like it, because I get to feel a little superior to them.”

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This really sucks. It's worse than season 20 of The Simpsons. If the studios win, there'll be more AI-produced shows like this because it's dirt cheap to produce. Shows the importance of the SAG strike.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

FistEnergy posted:

I work for a major American power company and lead/asbestos cables are everywhere. Unless the AT&T-owned lead cables were systematically installed via flagrant regulatory violations, it's a non-story. Any replacement program will be slow, government-financed, and charged to the customers.

The whole 30 year low thing is pretty misleading. Their sticks have been on a slump for a while a s the dropoff after the wsj article wasn't that much

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leroy Diplowski posted:

The whole 30 year low thing is pretty misleading. Their sticks have been on a slump for a while a s the dropoff after the wsj article wasn't that much

Dividend stocks also don't necessarily go up like regular Number. Instead the money goes out. It makes a lot of sense to run a gigantic rent collecting entity like this, they're just sucking rents out of infrastructure and passing them directly to their owners.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Chamale posted:

This really sucks. It's worse than season 20 of The Simpsons. If the studios win, there'll be more AI-produced shows like this because it's dirt cheap to produce. Shows the importance of the SAG strike.

Reminds me of those YouTube videos for kids that are just random poo poo like Spider-Man and Elsa.

There will be a market for it. American media culture is already in the gutter.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

$T can just cut their dividend. it's not easy money. Just buy a Treasury

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Willa Rogers posted:

Teens never change.

“I still long to have no phone at all,” she said. “My parents are so addicted. My mom got on Twitter, and I’ve seen it tear her apart."

lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

congratulations you have unlocked: neo-beatnikism????

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
honestly did not see the beatniks making a come back

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

like no poo poo this is the creepiest loving thing I've seen in this year so far:stare:

you just keep watching it expecting the characters to break out of the bit

wait a minute wasnt seth green making a loving nft ape sitcom about an ape working at a bar?!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

every search engine is poo poo in different ways

the internet is dead

I think about how many people probably don't use bookmarks and don't know what a URL is and just punch the name of the thing they want into google and then follow the link

and what's going to happen when, say, search results for a bank gets redirected into a phising duplicate

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i am harry posted:

wait a minute wasnt seth green making a loving nft ape sitcom about an ape working at a bar?!

It got cancelled I think.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Someone stole his ape iirc lmao

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Arthur, the bespectacled PBS aardvark, is their mascot.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

what the hell this is a whole new york times article about 5 twee high schoolers forming a no phones club its just some brooklyn bullshit

quote:

Clementine Karlin-Pustilnik, Odille Zexter-Kaiser and Jameson Butler at a recent gathering of the Luddite Club in Prospect Park in Brooklyn

quote:

“We get backlash,” Logan replied. “The argument I’ve heard is we’re a bunch of rich kids and expecting everyone to drop their phones is privileged.”

After Julian left, Logan admitted that she had wrestled with the matter and that the topic had spurred some heated debate among club members.

“I was really discouraged when I heard the classist thing and almost ready to say goodbye to the club,” she said. “I talked to my adviser, though, and he told me most revolutions actually start with people from industrious backgrounds, like Che Guevara. We’re not expecting everyone to have a flip phone. We just see a problem with mental health and screen use.”

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lmao

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there is no way someone named Odille Zexter-Kaiser doesnt have the single largest trustfund in brooklyn

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

what the hell this is a whole new york times article about 5 twee high schoolers forming a no phones club its just some brooklyn bullshit

critical support for the brooklyn neoluddite movement

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

"people from industrious backgrounds"

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

che guevara is a pretty good lifestyle brand

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

“When I got my flip phone, things instantly changed,” Lola continued. “I started using my brain. It made me observe myself as a person. I’ve been trying to write a book, too. It’s like 12 pages now.”

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Zoomer Luddites is the name of my high school shoegaze mathcore band

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Zoomer Luddites is the name of my high school shoegaze mathcore band

mathcore because the lyrics are about AP calculus

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

“When I got my flip phone, things instantly changed,” Lola continued. “I started using my brain. It made me observe myself as a person. I’ve been trying to write a book, too. It’s like 12 pages now.”

lol

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Homeless Friend posted:

lol

she’s written more pages than i’ve read this year

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Much like atheist clubs and straight edge clubs I continue to be baffled by people joining clubs because of the absence of something. I'm going to go join the don't hit myself in the balls with a hammer club and my friends and I will all sit around and not hit our balls with hammers.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jel Shaker posted:

she’s written more pages than i’ve read this year

who has time for books when you have all these wonderful cspam threads to read

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

1glitch0 posted:

Much like atheist clubs and straight edge clubs I continue to be baffled by people joining clubs because of the absence of something. I'm going to go join the don't hit myself in the balls with a hammer club and my friends and I will all sit around and not hit our balls with hammers.

wow, you're so logical, I'm sure everyone loves hanging out with you

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

It's interesting, horrifying, and despair inducing in equal measure, the ways capitalism is sinking its venom into the zoomer generation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
It's literally just dumbass kids being dumbass kids that failkid reporters breathlessly follow around because they need everyone to hate everyone under 50

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

On the other hand it's probably cool to be featured in the nyt for having an old school phone and being in a club. I can't really blame the youth in this situation. Let's not get too jealous here, where is your article? I thought so.

Half credit for this answer

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Willa Rogers posted:

Here's the non-paywalled copy.

Man, that's some reductivism, but I'd like to hear if it irritates millennials as much as it irritated me or rings true with them bc the piece makes the generation sound like neurotic freaks.

the part that sounds most bullshit is the thing about collective vs individual focus. the easiest tell that someone was born in the mid-80s or later is they're way more open about discussing their personal feelings and how stuff affects them

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bread and circuses. Well maybe not bread. Also you need to pay for your own subscription streaming service for the circus.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Chamale posted:

You can only even pretend to get away with stuff like this with existing IPs and characters that let people subconsciously fill in the blanks, which makes it even worse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1681621593473032196

https://www.politico.eu/article/us-antitrust-economist-fiona-scott-morton-under-fire-over-eu-job/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/19/us-economist-fiona-scott-morton-pulls-out-key-eu-tech-regulation-role-macron-criticism

former Obama official Fiona Scott Morton was appointed to be the European Commission's chief competition economist, but has since had to withdraw from the position after high-level opposition to the appointment, particularly from France's Macron, over concerns that she would have been "too American" and would not be able to serve impartially, especially as the EU deals with antitrust cases stemming from big American tech companies

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
this is so laughably pathetic on so many levels

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1681621593473032196

https://www.politico.eu/article/us-antitrust-economist-fiona-scott-morton-under-fire-over-eu-job/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/19/us-economist-fiona-scott-morton-pulls-out-key-eu-tech-regulation-role-macron-criticism

former Obama official Fiona Scott Morton was appointed to be the European Commission's chief competition economist, but has since had to withdraw from the position after high-level opposition to the appointment, particularly from France's Macron, over concerns that she would have been "too American" and would not be able to serve impartially, especially as the EU deals with antitrust cases stemming from big American tech companies

This is a weird thing to do. Does the EU think they are independent?

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

Please write a sample script of Futurama but with the following concepts: “Meanwhile there’s a whole new pandemic in town as the crew explores the future of vaccines, bitcoin, cancel culture, and streaming TV.”
ChatGPT

Title: "Futurama: Pandemic in the Future"

INT. PLANET EXPRESS - LOUNGE - DAY

The Planet Express crew, including FRY, LEELA, BENDER, PROFESSOR FARNSWORTH, HERMES, and AMY, gather around the TV, watching the news.

TV NEWS ANCHOR
Meanwhile, there's a whole new pandemic in town as the crew explores the future of vaccines, bitcoin, cancel culture, and streaming TV.

FRY
Whoa, a new pandemic? I thought we were done with those!

LEELA
Apparently not, Fry. We must stay vigilant and see what the future holds.

PROFESSOR FARNSWORTH
Good news, everyone! We've been selected by the government to test their latest invention: the Universal Vaccine Injector 3000!

BENDER
Why should we help? I'm already immune to everything, except good taste!

PROFESSOR FARNSWORTH
Bender, we need to study the vaccine's effects and ensure it works for everyone. Plus, there's a handsome reward if we succeed.

BENDER
Alright, alright! As long as I don't have to stop stealing or drinking.

AMY
I hope this vaccine doesn't give me weird side effects. I don't want to grow an extra arm or turn blue again.

HERMES
You worry too much, Amy. Just have faith in the professor's scientific genius.

They all gather their things and head to the laboratory.

INT. PLANET EXPRESS - LABORATORY - DAY

The crew is gathered around the Universal Vaccine Injector 3000, a large futuristic device.

PROFESSOR FARNSWORTH
Now, each of you will receive the vaccine through this injector. It's a highly advanced method that guarantees maximum efficiency.

AMY
Wait, what's in this vaccine? Is it safe?

PROFESSOR FARNSWORTH
Oh, don't worry, Amy. It contains a concoction of essential nutrients, anti-viral agents, and a sprinkle of hope.

AMY
Well, if hope is in there, I guess it can't be all bad.

One by one, the crew steps up to the injector, receiving their doses.

INT. PLANET EXPRESS - LOUNGE - DAY

After receiving the vaccine, the crew gathers back in the lounge, feeling a mix of curiosity and uncertainty.

FRY
So, what now? Are we invincible? Can we do anything without fear of catching the latest future plague?

LEELA
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Fry. We need to see if this vaccine actually works.

BENDER
Hey, who needs vaccines when you've got me? I'm immune to everything, baby!

AMY
That's not how it works, Bender. You can still carry the virus and infect others.

BENDER
Eh, whatever. I've never been good at sharing anyway.

As they continue discussing, the TV switches to a news segment about cancel culture.

TV NEWS ANCHOR
In other news, the controversial practice of cancel culture has evolved in the future. Today, canceling someone means erasing their entire digital existence. Is this the future of justice or a slippery slope into oblivion?

HERMES
Cancel culture in the future? That's ridiculous! People should be held accountable for their actions, but erasing their entire existence?

PROFESSOR FARNSWORTH
Ah, the moral conundrums of the future. It's a topic that requires deep philosophical analysis and an ample supply of popcorn.

Suddenly, the TV switches to a commercial about a new streaming service.

TV COMMERCIAL NARRATOR
And now, introducing Streamflix 3000! The ultimate streaming service, now with shows that can predict your viewing preferences before you even think about them!

FRY
Whoa, that's amazing! I can't wait to binge-watch a series that I haven't even discovered yet.

AMY
I hope they have a section on 31st-century fashion. I could use some futuristic style inspiration.

LEELA
Let's not forget, though, that streaming services can also be a double-edged sword. They can monopolize our attention and make us forget about the real world.

BENDER
Real world? What's that got to do with me? I'm all about the virtual entertainment, baby!

As the crew continues their lively discussion, the camera pans out, leaving them in the midst of their futuristic adventures.

FADE OUT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
futurama seaon eight episode seven, airing in september, is literally titled "rage against the vaccine"

edit oh i guess that's where you got your prompt from huh