Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Okay, you're happy to put up with pointless abuse, why are others required to do so?
the most insulting thing ive said about karma comedian is that theyre lame. saying someone is doing a bad job and doesnt have the rigth attitude isnt abuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

It is not abuse to call out a bad reaction on the part of a moderator. In the same way that mods need to not take criticism of their moderation practices personally, users need to stop taking it personally on their behalf.

A singular mod did something lovely to a user. That has, apparently, been hashed out via PM, and the wronged user appears happy with the resolution. Everything since has been a completely unforced error on the part of other moderators of this subforum. This should not be a forums war. Stop trying to make it one.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

theres a difference between abuse and just being critical of someones moderating decisions

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I've taken the thread off slow mode so we can have a conversation and not have to wait 10 mins between posts

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Smugworth posted:

The Official GBS Olive Appreciation Station (title change pending). Originally titled "olives: are they good?" we determined that they are in fact good. Come talk about olives with fellow olive aficionados, olive aficionados!

Smug does this so he can lure you into the olive or judo or egg thread to mug you just a warning everyone

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a difference between abuse and just being critical of someones moderating decisions

Users talking to mods

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Just remember to actually enforce the thread rules, I'm sure everything will be just fine. What could possibly go amiss?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Toxic Mental posted:

Users talking to mods

being a moderator requires thick skin because people will try to get under your skin and annoy you or criticize your decisions if you cant handle that then i do believe you should step down for your own sanity

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

the most insulting thing ive said about karma comedian is that theyre lame.

Is that a fact? Nothing else?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

being a moderator requires thick skin because people will try to get under your skin
Or people could just not act like that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Is that a fact? Nothing else?
i also said 'petulant' but i think 'lame' is a harsher insult.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Slugworth posted:

you cant change human nature

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

being a moderator requires thick skin because people will try to get under your skin and annoy you or criticize your decisions if you cant handle that then i do believe you should step down for your own sanity

I am only going to bring in mods that are either retail or restaurant managers. We have all been jokerfied.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Its the internet.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

here's an idea, instead of a feedback thread mods should host a quarterly townhall on zoom

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you cant change human nature

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffdaddy posted:

Its the internet.

Again, you choose to accept abusive behavior, why should anyone else feel compelled to do so?

I gave up USPOL a few years ago because the level of rage it fuelled was unhealthy as hell. You seem to be resigned to it. Maybe you're the one who needs to get away from SA if it's done that to you. Stop dragging everyone down to your level.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Again, you choose to accept abusive behavior, why should anyone else feel compelled to do so?

I gave up USPOL a few years ago because the level of rage it fuelled was unhealthy as hell. You seem to be resigned to it. Maybe you're the one who needs to get away from SA if it's done that to you.

If they can't take it they shouldn't take a voluntary position to moderate a subforum. I don't why you think psychoanalyzing me is the right choice here. So I am going to ask you nicely to stop before you start charging me for therapy.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Wasn't long that thick skin lasted lol.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

i also said 'petulant' but i think 'lame' is a harsher insult.

So "stupid" and "insane" were just aimed at the GBS mods and their actions as a group, not at KC in particular, then.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I will make exactly one earnest post in this thread to say the easiest way to improve it would be to focus on a single topic with clear A and B directions for people to vote on.

Something like, "Let's talk about X policy. Keep it as is, or change it to Y?" or "We're thinking of introducing X to the rules. Yes or No? Why or why not?"

Most people who post in GBS are fine enough with how it is as is, or rather aren't bothered enough by an issue to really engage in this thread. They may have some small issue they'd like to vocalize, but they wander in here and see it full of sniping, he-said-she-said, and the tedious recounting of grievances between individuals. As it is currently, the open nature of the thread encourages those people (and mainly just those people) to post. Then as things become overly self-serious come the shitposters, who naturally gravitate toward any serious post in order to take the piss out of it.

You can't get rid of them (me), but you can see more focused poo poo posting about more focused topics, that may, really actually my god, see some form of change or improvement to the forum. Maybe?

Definitely not in it's current state though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

I am only going to bring in mods that are either retail or restaurant managers. We have all been jokerfied.

People with experience with IT help desks might be good too. But if they're like me, they're probably ticking time bombs or just so, so tired of it all, so maybe not.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Fluffdaddy posted:

If they can't take it they shouldn't take a voluntary position to moderate a subforum. I don't why you think psychoanalyzing me is the right choice here. So I am going to ask you nicely to stop before you start charging me for therapy.
Being able to accept criticism is important, being able to shrug off abuse is probably a healthy trait, but shouldn't be necessary to hold any position. You referenced retail managers - A good manager fires abusive customers.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Slugworth posted:

You referenced retail managers - A good manager fires abusive customers.

you can't fire customers

I mean this analogy is dumb in general imo but that part also doesn't actually make any sense at all

Also telling someone who had irl circumstances used as a cudgel against them and had that act explicitly okay'd by a mod that they have to not use mean words seems disingenuous to me

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 19, 2023

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Psycho Landlord posted:

you can't fire customers
Tell that to the customers I've fired for abusing our staff.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

sure okay posted:

As it is currently, the open nature of the thread encourages those people (and mainly just those people) to post. Then as things become overly self-serious come the shitposters, who naturally gravitate toward any serious post in order to take the piss out of it.

You can't get rid of them (me), but you can see more focused poo poo posting about more focused topics, that may, really actually my god, see some form of change or improvement to the forum. Maybe?

Definitely not in it's current state though.

I do think having more focused short term feedback threads would be better for larger forums, especially this one.

GBS is supposed to be the "Main" forum for the website, so issues that crop up should be dealt with as they happen and having like a weekend or whatever a month to really hash out things would probably be a lot more beneficial than having an open thread that meanders everywhere and just takes too much attention for the moderation staff from the rest of the forum.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

you can't fire customers

You can ban them from your establishment

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

you can't fire customers

I have absolutely fired customers that abuse my restaurant staff. I have literally taken their food give them their money back and told them to leave, in both full service and fast food.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cthulu Carl posted:

People with experience with IT help desks might be good too. But if they're like me, they're probably ticking time bombs or just so, so tired of it all, so maybe not.

I'll shoot your idea down by mentioning I have experience with IT help desks. I don't think we need to proceed any further.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

I have absolutely fired customers that abuse my restaurant staff. I have literally taken their food give them their money back and told them to leave, in both full service and fast food.

living my entire life thinking "firing" had a legal definition, guess not

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Fluffdaddy posted:

Its the internet.

One of SA's strengths has been its being relatively free with bans to communicate "actually, we don't do that here". Giving up moderation of bad behavior with "oh well what can u do lol" is the worst possible answer. We ban people for choosing the wrong thread tag, so I don't believe your hands are tied.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

If they can't take it they shouldn't take a voluntary position to moderate a subforum.

I don't completely disagree with this, but if a mod doesn't see an issue (at all) with low level abuse thrown at them, then the same mod will probably not see a problem when users come forward expressing discomfort with these types of issues, and having a thick skin shouldn't be a requirement to post in the (supposedly) general forum.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Psycho Landlord posted:

you can't fire customers

What do you think permabans are?

"Thank you but we no longer wish to do business with you going forward. Goodbye."

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Psycho Landlord posted:

living my entire life thinking "firing" had a legal definition, guess not

Well yea, its not like I can literally fire someone from this website, even a mod. This is not a job nor are any of us paid.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Same. I didn't like it when I had to do it because I don't like being an rear end in a top hat, but if you ever mistreated one of my workers I got rid of you with a quickness. I don't need that poo poo. Thankfully I had bar bouncers by the door to the bar that loved my tacos and would support if necessary. I think it only happened maybe 4-5 times in the four years I ran the taco truck, but it definitely happens. Alcohol usually makes it worse.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

tiaz posted:

Fluffdaddy posted:

Its the internet.
One of SA's strengths has been its being relatively free with bans to communicate "actually, we don't do that here". Giving up moderation of bad behavior with "oh well what can u do lol" is the worst possible answer. We ban people for choosing the wrong thread tag, so I don't believe your hands are tied.

also this

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

What do you think permabans are?

"Thank you but we no longer wish to do business with you going forward. Goodbye."

Absolutely not the same thing as terminating employment is what I think lol

back to the feedback

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Psycho Landlord posted:

you can't fire customers
Seems like a rather elegant way to show a fundamental disconnect between the parties yelling over each other here, no.

:allears:

VvV let's just agree to litigate the semantics of the argument instead of the exceedingly obvious intent. Maybe then someone will say something else and we can argue over that, having successfully obfuscated what was being discussed in the first place!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 19, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I mean it was just bad word choice. A manger doesn't "fire" bad customers they ban them from the establishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Slugworth posted:

Being able to accept criticism is important, being able to shrug off abuse is probably a healthy trait, but shouldn't be necessary to hold any position. You referenced retail managers - A good manager fires abusive customers.

a manager cannot fire customers because customers are not employed by them