Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BWL was pretty great back in the day, I must admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

I said come in! posted:

It sucks how badly Blizzard butchered Overwatch. It could have been a really great game, the premise is fantastic, and it has a great foundation for a really fun and competitive shooter. I also love the characters, and artstyle. But then you actually play it and it just feels like rear end. The balance is so bad.

I just play healer these days. The lovely matchmaking and balance isn't as bad when you can just hang back and spam heals.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking forward to the Warcraft, and Starcraft games coming to Steam.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You know after all these years I still don't understand why they didn't just rip off ubercharge if they were already ripping off Team Fortress 2. All the Overwatch ults just make turtling even easier.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Looks like it may also be the end of the most embarrassing thing in the history of video games:

quote:

During the second quarter, we amended certain terms of our collaborative arrangements with team entities participating in the Overwatch League. According to the amended terms, following the conclusion of the current Overwatch League season, the teams will vote on an updated operating agreement. If the teams do not vote to continue under an updated operating agreement, a termination fee of $6 million will be payable to each participating team entity (total fee of approximately $114 million).

Reminder that 114 million is 1/7 of what these teams paid to buy in in the first place. epic.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Mierenneuker posted:

Also, this from a couple days ago:
https://www.pcgamer.com/making-call-of-duty-a-battlenet-exclusive-was-a-resounding-failure-argues-microsoft/

"Activision's attempt to take PC digital sales of Call of Duty exclusive to its Battle.net platform was a resounding failure," reads part of the document. "Before 2018, Activision sold digital versions of PC Call of Duty titles on Valve's successful Steam platform. In 2018, Activision decided to take the game off of Steam and make it exclusively available on Battle.net—largely in an effort to attract users to, and grow, Activision's own platform. Battle.net's monthly active users ('MAUs') remained relatively flat during the period when it had exclusive access to digital sales of Call of Duty on PC, from 2018 through 2022."

I don't care much for CoD, but that statement is based on misinterpretation by Microsoft's lawyers. If you read further on in the article, you find that CoD did result in a bump of numbers, but Blizzard's massive loss of popularity concealed it:

quote:

Battle.net's alleged stagnancy during CoD's exclusivity period appears to be more about Blizzard than Call of Duty. The monthly active users for Blizzard games dropped from 35 million at the end of 2018 to 22 million at the end of 2021, a loss of 13 million—apparently enough for Battle.net's active usership to remain "relatively flat" despite Warzone's exploding popularity.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I said come in! posted:

It sucks how badly Blizzard butchered Overwatch. It could have been a really great game, the premise is fantastic, and it has a great foundation for a really fun and competitive shooter. I also love the characters, and artstyle. But then you actually play it and it just feels like rear end. The balance is so bad.

no game with a tank healer dps trinity is a good foundation for a fun competitive anything
unless my competitive you mean stuff like racing for world first in a purely pve raid

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Now that Blizzard and EA came crawling back to steam, when is Ubisoft going to follow suit?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

No Wave posted:

Looks like it may also be the end of the most embarrassing thing in the history of video games:

Reminder that 114 million is 1/7 of what these teams paid to buy in in the first place. epic.

Didn't they just announce they were laying off their entire e-sports staff? Sounds like Overwatch League is done and Activision/Blizzard is just trying to recoup any loss they can.

God, OWL was such a dumb thing. Overwatch is borderline unwatchable (ha) as an e-sport with all the random bright colours and poo poo. I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did, it must have been a huge money sink.

Also, one could say OWL played a huge role in why OW2 is such a disaster with all the weird balancing changes. Could a big revamp of OW2 be around the corner? I think all this news around OWL points to yes.\

Leal posted:

Now that Blizzard and EA came crawling back to steam, when is Ubisoft going to follow suit?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Ubisoft already back on Steam? You can buy Ubi games on Steam but they'll route through Uplay/UbiConnect/ect. Same as EA games. I noticed during the Steam Sale all their recent titles seem to be up for offer.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 19, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal posted:

in thirty years, after the failure of UbiZone, UbiPlace, and iUbi

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Leal posted:

blizzard were never on steam, were they?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Leal posted:

They added a bunch of newer titles last year. Might not be a guaranteed thing going forward tho, I think the upcoming Assassin's Creed will just be on Ubisoft's store and Epic Games.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ubisoft seems to be doing delayed Steam releases currently but not by any regular amount, so my guess would probably be they’re just tossing things up after they feel they’ve gotten the sales elsewhere.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i wonder if valve have made any concessions behind the scenes, the last time this cycle played out valve changed their revenue split from 30% to 30/25/20% to tempt EA and Ubisoft back

Orv
May 4, 2011
Even with Valve cuts unless you’re Epic with Fortnite you’re probably just throwing out a bunch of money by not being on Steam and I think EA/Ubi just decided to take the more money.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I am glad that we can all finally recognize that LawBreakers>Overwatch. Can't wait for its glorious rebirth.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I imagine this is mostly about wanting to have your high profile F2P games in front of as many people as possible with your player numbers starting to drag, but getting Blizzard used to putting stuff up on Steam ahead of the merger probably doesn’t hurt. Idk that WoW would ever make the move but basically everything else would be better off for it imo. Blizzard is one of the very few devs who might make more money keeping their 20-30%, but it feels like a battle they’re slowly losing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

no game with a tank healer dps trinity is a good foundation for a fun competitive anything
unless my competitive you mean stuff like racing for world first in a purely pve raid

Sure it is. in hunt, I perform DPS by shooting zombies with a shotgun and alerting the map to our position. I tank by strafing into my own traps. I heal by wasting my medkits afterward. perfectly compelling gameplay loop.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Would love to have been a fly on the wall when the email came in to whoever@valvesoftware.com asking to put a Blizzard game on Steam :v:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like they already confirmed on a blog post that a “selection” of games will be coming to Steam. Curious if Hearthstone would be one of them - people seem generally happy with that game and there’s very little immediate competition in that space on Steam atm.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Diablo 2 seems a safe bet, and I’ll buy the gently caress out of it as soon as it does.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Mordja posted:

I am glad that we can all finally recognize that LawBreakers>Overwatch. Can't wait for its glorious rebirth.

In all honesty...I wouldn't mind this rebirth, having been one of the suckers who bought LawBreakers and yet barely got to play it due to how fast it crashed and burned. Least I'd make up for sunk cost. But I think rebirth was already teased on twitter and nothing came of it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it would be cool if we could register our existing bnet keys on steam but lol. lmao.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Trackmania is on steam and iirc thats the only good ubisoft game

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Weedle posted:

it would be cool if we could register our existing bnet keys on steam but lol. lmao.

if the microsoft deal goes through then they might sunset bnet eventually like they did with bethesdas launcher, and the reconciliation there was allowing users to move all their games to steam

it'll be a while before that happens though, if it ever does

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thank you Sonic Mania for teaching me that I am awful at Sonic games now :margeball:

if they ever make a Sonic game where the objective is to lose all your rings right before the boss, I will be #1 world pro

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

I said come in! posted:

Both blizz and the player base would never accept that at some point you need to just stop adding new characters for the sake of balance, game was destined to become trash eventually.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
At least it gave us the best healer in videogames - Lucio

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JollyBoyJohn posted:

At least it gave us the best healer in videogames - Lucio

I liked the robot monk more

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

:aloom:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I said come in! posted:

Overwatch had incredible support from the fans for the first year. All my friends seemed to love it. The memes, fan artwork, and catchphrases were all over the internet. Even the voice actors were receiving a lot of attention and love. I would see the related merchandise like t-shirts in the wild pretty frequently. I can't overstate how much goodwill and success Blizzard had before completely ruining it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RBA Starblade posted:

robot monk was more fun around launch when he was a high damage glass cannon, then they rebalanced him to be more homogeneous with lower damage and higher survivability like every other healer

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Give me my games i own on the dumb lovely platforms for free please Valve. I will also accept heavily discounted

Orv
May 4, 2011
lolno

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Zenyatta is in fact the superiorist

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'll probably just never buy another Blizzard game on Battle.net ever again in case it eventually comes to Steam, but I'm not sure this is what they were going for.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why does the back button take me to my library instead of going back one page in the workshop, who made this decision I want to drop legos all around their bed while they sleep so they step on them when they wake up

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'll probably just never buy another Blizzard game
:same:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Leal posted:

Why does the back button take me to my library instead of going back one page in the workshop, who made this decision I want to drop legos all around their bed while they sleep so they step on them when they wake up

For a lot of people, the back button's been buggy and weird since the big update they pushed out a little while ago; I don't think this is intended behavior for it. Some people say it goes away if you update to the latest beta but I'm not sure if that's a guaranteed fix for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Anno posted:

I imagine this is mostly about wanting to have your high profile F2P games in front of as many people as possible with your player numbers starting to drag, but getting Blizzard used to putting stuff up on Steam ahead of the merger probably doesn’t hurt. Idk that WoW would ever make the move but basically everything else would be better off for it imo. Blizzard is one of the very few devs who might make more money keeping their 20-30%, but it feels like a battle they’re slowly losing.

Most likely this, but opening themselves up to Steam's player chart and review features may not be worth the increase in playercount.

And I'm not sure why they think new players on Steam won't go the same route as players on Battle.net do. If they're truly in a player deficit at the moment then it's hardly because the game exists. Seems more like a temporary solution but if they don't actually fix the issues people have people won't play it on another platform either.

This is all self-inflicted, too. Instead of fixing the issues and undoing all the crap people don't like they'd rather double down on their FOMO-laden bullshit and watch the game die, all the while screaming unto the void "WHY ARE WE LOSING PLAYERS? WHY AREN'T WE MAKING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS EVERY PICOSECOND OF THE DAY?"

Their philosophy for player feedback has long since been "We know what you want better than you do" and "You think you do but you don't".