Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Well I'm glad at least one gbs mod posted, even if it is about this dumb poo poo again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

anyway it would be good if the GBS mods didn’t like actively hate large parts of the forum. I think GBS moderation is ok but don’t keep around forum pets and cut down on some of the stupid white noise threads, like, maybe 10% less

also stop tolerating three olives posting

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Good job on steering the conversation away from mod feedback to whether or not harsh criticism is abusive which took us back to word filter moderation everyone.

The conversation about World filter moderation is important here too.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Upgrade posted:

also stop tolerating three olives posting

Finally, something we can all agree on

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If you've got a really funny joke that requires a slur just post it and eat the 6er

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

If you've got a really funny joke that requires a slur just post it and eat the 6er

case in point

ArfJason posted:

[doing high pitched voice out the corner of my mouth] FAAAGGOT [looks back and forth] WHO SAID THAT???

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

sure okay posted:

case in point

lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Psycho Landlord posted:

Well I'm glad at least one gbs mod posted, even if it is about this dumb poo poo again

My thoughts on the other topics are

-a mod hosed up, and eventually apologized directly to the person. This is feedback at work, and is good.

and the rest has been just... a bunch of "crews" bullshit and talking around eachother unless I missed something major.

I am extremely sick to death of hearing about "SAD crews". GBS is the flagship forum, everyone on SA has an opinion about it good or bad and even if someone posts in SAD a lot the thing that matters is still the actual feedback being posted.

Tone is what it is, if you want to provide feedback in an aggressive manner then mods are expected to be able to deal with that. But we're still people, so being adversarial is counterproductive.

Ultimately I don't know if a permanent feedback thread is needed, but feedback is good. Moving forward if we keep it open I would really prefer if everyone could just completely let go of the crew poo poo, so we can focus on moderation issues and not the source of feedback regarding those issues.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Jose Valasquez posted:

i dont really care about 6ers because they're funny the annoying part is goons obessing over slurs when its something that isnt even a slur in the first place or lecturing a queer person about how they cant call things gay (pejorative) as a joke. this entire argument is stupid but reading posts and understanding the usage of the words in the post before pressing the button is an important skill for a moderator to have

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Upgrade posted:

anyway it would be good if the GBS mods didn’t like actively hate large parts of the forum

I was unaware Seth and Co. had declared their undying hatred of Coupons, Pet Island and GWS so openly. Scoundrels all!

Deciding not to heavily participate in one thread in SAD can hardly be called "hating large parts of the forum" in any event.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
seems to me the problem isn't people using The Filtered Words and getting nailed for it, but instead the instances where people say heinous poo poo and don't get hit for it until someone actually reads the post a couple days later because it didn't use a bad word

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

sure okay posted:

case in point

A fine example.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I think GBS has collectively moved beyond the "sometimes slurs are funny" in general and there's already a forum that was specifically designed where you can do that so I don't understand why anyone is arguing about it here or when some people get hit for it here

It makes me uncomfortable and I'm sure it makes a lot of others too

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Toxic Mental posted:

I think GBS has collectively moved beyond the "sometimes slurs are funny" in general and there's already a forum that was specifically designed where you can do that so I don't understand why anyone is arguing about it here or when some people get hit for it here

:same:
There's clearly a place for it with like minded people. So where's the hangup.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i dont really care about 6ers because they're funny the annoying part is goons obessing over slurs when its something that isnt even a slur in the first place or lecturing a queer person about how they cant call things gay (pejorative) as a joke. this entire argument is stupid but reading posts and understanding the usage of the words in the post before pressing the button is an important skill for a moderator to have

one thing I've been noticing around the forums, in general but especially as of late in gbs is the use of "slurs" as vaguely as possible, depending on who you're talking to that could be either some real nasty hate speech or calling something gay where the joke is that you're acting like a middle schooler, that's a pretty wide net to cast and I think there's a real attempt there to overstate the harm in service of forum grudges and wars and all that other poo poo instead of real concern for fighting bigotry

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Okay I'm not trying to own the dude or anything but I keep thinking this every time somebody talks about slurs in the context of people getting upset about AIDS as a homophobic slur (which I'm kind of assuming all of this is about) and it's driving me crazy. Isn't the logic that got posted for why it's a homophobic slur like, beat for beat the logic that got used to to stir up gay panic in the 80s and label AIDS as "the gay plague" and "god's judgement on those sinners" and other terrible poo poo?

If I've completely lost the plot let me know but I swear that's the history. Regardless it seems odd to me, there are a lot of diseases that affect some groups of people more than others but like, I don't think anybody's going around telling people they can't say Diabetes and I don't think I've ever in my life run into anybody saying AIDS is a homophobic slur before this whole thing on the forums.

surc fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 19, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I mostly agree with you on this, but It's a lot easier to parse intent with, something like FYAD which is a pretty tight knit community, vs some rando poster who you know nothing about.

Also even in the case in question, I do have at least one gay friend who would get noticeably pissed on the few occasions someone said around him back when we were roommates. Some people are gonna be more sensitive than others. Does this mean I think it should be a word filter ban on sight? Nope. But I'd say at minimum make sure that the use is actually funny, and if you eat a sixer, you eat a sixer.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if this thread has taught us any lesson, it's that a lot of people can't parse context or intent

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

surc posted:

Okay I'm not trying to own the dude or anything but I keep thinking this every time somebody talks about slurs in the context of people getting upset about AIDS as a homophobic slur (which I'm kind of assuming all of this is about) and it's driving me crazy. Isn't the logic that got posted for why it's a homophobic slur like, beat for beat the logic that got used to to stir up gay panic in the 80s and label AIDS as "the gay plague" and "god's judgement on those sinners" and other terrible poo poo?

If I've completely lost the plot let me know but I swear that's the history. Regardless it seems odd to me, there are a lot of diseases that affect some groups of people more than others but like, I don't think anybody's going around telling people they can't say Diabetes and I don't think I've ever in my life run into anybody saying AIDS is a slur before this whole thing on the forums.

I'm as confused as you are on that point. I know there's gonna be a wide variance on what people find offensive (I was ripped a new one for using ADHD as an adjective a few years back, and I've been diagnosed with it since I was 9 and was wildly confused about it), but to call it aids a slur on it's own is a big reach.

I knew a weird dude way back when who used "gay as aids" as his go-to insult back in the day, but that's about as close as I can get, and it's clearly not what anyone here was doing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Grey Cat posted:

:same:
There's clearly a place for it with like minded people. So where's the hangup.

The hangup is you'll get hit for calling a thread aids while another mod thought it was ok to reverse a 6-er over calling someone autistic, and even before that another mod thought it was ok that a guy was accusing gay posters of faking it.

surc posted:

If I've completely lost the plot let me know but I swear that's the history. Regardless it seems odd to me, there are a lot of diseases that affect some groups of people more than others but like, I don't think anybody's going around telling people they can't say Diabetes and I don't think I've ever in my life run into anybody saying AIDS is a homophobic slur before this whole thing on the forums.

Yes, you're right which is why it's also stupid to word filter mod it with that reasoning.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

surc posted:

I feel like anyone who says that "______ is aids" isn't a loaded phrase any longer, or that that it doesn't still have a lot of negative power due to it being associated with the gay community for so long is probably lying to you. Same on the flipside with "I just really really hate the disease" or whatever someone tried to claim in the old thread. That's just how I see it though, obviously some people don't.

edit: Basically I just think the current system is fine. People who Kramer into threads and go "this is aids" get probes, which is fine. Someone talking about virology or whatever in-context is going to be fine too. Context is king and people know the difference anyways.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 19, 2023

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

maybe we should enact word filters on a forum by forum basis so like if someone says "AIDS" in gbs it changes it to "8 piece mcnugget meal"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cant believe this topic is back but word filtering is fail and context is king imo

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Who gives a poo poo at this point this is so tedious.

Is the end goal here to remove the gbs mods who most people think are doing a good job?

Do you even have a goal anymore?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Kild posted:

The hangup is you'll get hit for calling a thread aids while another mod thought it was ok to reverse a 6-er over calling someone autistic, and even before that another mod thought it was ok that a guy was accusing gay posters of faking it.

Yes, things need to be standardized and laid out, but the concept in general shouldn't be a hangup. That was more my point.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

-a mod hosed up, and eventually apologized directly to the person. This is feedback at work, and is good.

and the rest has been just... a bunch of "crews" bullshit and talking around eachother unless I missed something major.

I am extremely sick to death of hearing about "SAD crews". GBS is the flagship forum, everyone on SA has an opinion about it good or bad and even if someone posts in SAD a lot the thing that matters is still the actual feedback being posted.

Tone is what it is, if you want to provide feedback in an aggressive manner then mods are expected to be able to deal with that. But we're still people, so being adversarial is counterproductive.

Ultimately I don't know if a permanent feedback thread is needed, but feedback is good. Moving forward if we keep it open I would really prefer if everyone could just completely let go of the crew poo poo, so we can focus on moderation issues and not the source of feedback regarding those issues.

yeah

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Wendigee posted:

Who gives a poo poo at this point this is so tedious.

Is the end goal here to remove the gbs mods who most people think are doing a good job?

Do you even have a goal anymore?

Who are you talking to?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

surc posted:

aids devestated the gay community in the 80's and was allowed to do so by the reagan administration which is why it was called the gay disease and had a stigma attached to it that persists to this day this isnt disputed by anyone but its also funny to call things gay as a childish insult because its funny. i dont consider it a slur either its the name of a disease and i actually think its worse if you try to make aids an exclusively gay thing since that was republican propaganda for years and still used as propaganda in some countries. this topic is stupid though and i honestly think its just an attempt to deflect legitimate feedback by creating an endless argument over what does and doesnt count as a slur

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 19, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

It was and is.

That was and is literally exactly what I said.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 19, 2023

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
hello my feedback is that giving out sixers earlier was the right call for making GBS threads up the thread but it was obvious as hell that karma only did it to the people perceived to be on the opposite side to him. to seths credit you can see he went in afterwards and probed all the gbs idiots on the other side of the debate who were also being inflammatory.

you should sixer more often, nobody should get mad about them, they're as mild as it gets. but do it to everyone equally. OK bye.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

cant believe this topic is back but word filtering is fail and context is king imo

People who have family members or other people they care about, including themselves, for whom well recognized slurs - including the R slur - are hurtful, painful things that still do have power over them - do not seem to matter to people who post this opinion. I don't feel safe talking about why it matters to me, because of how people here talk about it, but it matters to me, and it really sucks to see people acting like it's ok and that people like me who aren't ok with slurs in any context are somehow being weird or stupid or whatever for saying so. I struggle to imagine any context in which using slurs are fine or funny. Maybe you can think of some, but I can't.

I understand FYAD to be the place where slurs are ok, so i don't read FYAD. That's fine for them if they've decided it's ok, it's not for me to decide what other people are OK with. But I would at least appreciate clear labels on forums and threads where it's ok to use slurs. I don't want to see that poo poo and you can think whatever you want of me for that, I don't care. If the answer is no, there will be no such labelling, okay, fine, it is what it is. I'd sure appreciate it though because it does matter to me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AARD VARKMAN posted:

My feedback is that AARD VARKMAN is right.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Stupid is also a slur fwiw.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

it was obvious as hell that karma only did it to the people perceived to be on the opposite side to him.

I actually gave out a lot of sixers and Seth picked up when I went to work.

I'm not sure what "sides" you're referring to.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

Who are you talking to?

Whoever is still upset.

I don't even know what the argument is anymore.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Karma Comedian posted:

That was and is literally exactly what I said.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Considering you were sixering and dismissing everyone else, I figured you were being sarcastic with me as well. But I was mistaken. My apologies.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Wendigee posted:

Whoever is still upset.

I don't even know what the argument is anymore.

If you don't know what's going on you can just not post. Most recent attempt to get things centered in here already went to poo poo anyway.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I thought the issue was resolved except for a few people who wanted some gbs mods removed for their heinous acts.

Is there another pressing issue because I'm just seeing that and word modding fights over a s over again in a circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Considering you were sixering and dismissing everyone else, I figured you were being sarcastic with me as well. But I was mistaken. My apologies.
Thread rule 1: assume good faith.

I was sixering people for disregarding the multiple instructions and warnings to take the argument elsewhere, not dismissing or being sarcastic anything.

The posts are all here, in public view, in this thread. I know a bunch of people are all irony poisoned but I've been sincere in every post here. Stopping an argument that has been told to stop is part of the duties of a moderator.

DW decided apropos of nothing that I was talking specifically and only to them, even though I explained to them I wasn't, and that they'd responded to a post that wasn't about them, and they decided to keep going. Out of everyone arguing when I posted to stop, they're the only one that took it personally or thought it was directed explicitly at them. I've never even said he specifically was sniping, and I challenge anyone to find where I did.

I was beyond patient, to the point of receiving several complaints from other members of the community about the guy monopolizing the thread, and I gave more than enough warnings and options to cut it out. My final warning was even quoted to continue the argument.