Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Gene used to draw pictures and post them in Creative Convention and I hope he still enjoys drawing pictures. That's my Gene feedback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Deki posted:

I'm not talking about SAD? I'm talking about the posters who seemed to go full aggro from the get-go in these threads.

Though I wouldn't say it's not a problem there, either. Lotta signal to noise issues there. Maybe it's the only way to get admins to look at it with ownership being pretty inactive, but its weird that a dumb reversed probe seems to get as much melodrama as, say the posts about weird RP creep who almost became an admin.

Oh, well then I just agree with you without the rest of the paragraph of explanation I guess, my b. Signal to noise is a problem here too I think, both forums get people coming in and trying to change the focus to be on some axe they have to grind on issues and it sucks.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Gene used to draw pictures and post them in Creative Convention and I hope he still enjoys drawing pictures. That's my Gene feedback

I like calling him old

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think there are two different groups of posters. Some think that word based moderation is stupid and deliberately post in ways that highlight the most ridiculous cases of moderating based on specific words. One very true argument from this group is that the people who moderate based on words are not moderating other things that serve the same purpose as the banned word.

Others do not want to post in a place where certain words are allowed because they feel like it is exclusionary to people who might fight into a group covered by a prohibited word. There are a lot of people who don't want to post in the same place people are dropping slurs.

This requires nuance and balance to manage because both groups are large.

To the second group, I ask that they learn what context is and that if they aren't a part of whatever minority the alleged slur applies to, that they take a back seat to actual minorities. I, for example, don't need patronizing white people protecting me from the N word. I am not a child. I am 40. I don't want your protection on the internet.

steinrokkan posted:

What I'm saying, and what I think other posters itt have also expressed in their own words, is that when you choose to engage with the users who you acknowledged were looking for excuses to lash out, with the reasoning that a complaint is a complaint, no matter how it's expressed, it makes the place worse for everybody who isn't down with that kind of aggressive posting.

I'm not saying that you are part of some culture / clique or whatever, just that your attitude of ostensibly ignoring the tone of messages has an effect on others, and in case of feedback threads here or in sad, it's not good and it forces everybody to wade through muck of heated interpersonal arguments.

Tone is irrelevant though. This is a feedback thread. Not every piece of feedback is going to be flowers and rainbows. And if you answer every bit of feedback honestly and directly, and people are still mad, then you have done your part as a mod.

It is not our jobs to control other peoples feelings. I can only give what I have and if thats not enough for some people, oh well, they can stay mad.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i would like to provide the feedback that posters constantly framing their and their forum enemies’ actions as “good faith” or “bad faith” isn’t healthy and only leads to brain damage

you really can’t argue or assume either way. like, you can say you are but how does anyone actually know where the hell you’re coming from? likewise, how do you actually know where others are coming from?

probably a lot better for psychic stability to recontextualize that to “taking statements at face value.” there’s a lot less room to make up bizarre fantasies about other posters’ motivations that way

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Dick Fontaine posted:

probably a lot better for psychic stability to recontextualize that to “taking statements at face value.” there’s a lot less room to make up bizarre fantasies about other posters’ motivations that way

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Fluffdaddy posted:

I, for example, don't need patronizing white people protecting me from the N word. I am not a child. I am 40. I don't want your protection on the internet.

Again, you seem to be willing to tolerate levels of rude and abusive behaviour others here are not. Why are the rest of us to lower our common standards, because you've given up on improving things? The pink forums are tolerant of slurs by Lowtax's fiat, why are those of us who avoid them required to do so likewise?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Again, you seem to be willing to tolerate levels of rude and abusive behaviour others here are not. Why are the rest of us to lower our common standards, because you've given up on improving things? The pink forums are tolerant of slurs by Lowtax's fiat, why are those of us who avoid them required to do so likewise?

This is what I mean by patronizing. This is treating a minority as if they are not an adult. Why do those words that have no power over you matter to you so much, regardless of context?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

most of fyad is minorities at this point lol

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

This is what I mean by patronizing. This is treating a minority as if they are not an adult. Why do those words that have no power over you matter to you so much, regardless of context?

Because it makes the place worse for everybody.

If nobody calls out a transphobic post, for example, it means to me that it's tacitly approved by the other people in the community.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

fyad is a very small community of posters that know each other very well know when someone is joking around and know how to self police which is why fyad posters that were genuine bigots were ran off the forums by other fyad posters. none of this is relevant to gbs but fyad isnt a forum of genuine unironic bigotry

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I got a probe for referring to a long forgotten slur that a mod had to Google, and wasn't even referencing a person, so I find this discussion :munch:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Rust Martialis posted:

yeah, this isn’t a good argument. standing up for other people in ways and contexts they didn’t ask for often comes across as treating said people like children

if you want to be a good “ally” or whatever to whoever, don’t say the slur yourself and always defer to the slurred group’s opinion

sure, call something out if it looks bad to you—but, also be ready to say, “oh that’s my bad, i was stupid, thank you for pointing that out”

doing anything else in that circumstance is insulting even if you feel like you have some justified reason for it not to be

even several of the dumbest trolls on this forum can understand that. why would you let them bait you with it?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fluffdaddy posted:

Because we *are* adults - we clearly support the dreaded "word moderation" on SA for any number of terms, so the place is maybe qualitatively different from 4chan.

I'm tired, I guess. I'm tired of the posters just popping in to deliberately get probed. And I'm tired of admins who tell me the rest of us should just put up with it. I'm not sure who's worse.

Ed - re:fyad : FYAD is FYAD, they basically stay in their little corner and don't bother anyone any more. The mantle of "problem child forum" slipped from their shoulders some years ago.

And I'm not mentioning any particular word use here, just the demands by some that they be allowed to post however they want, anywhere they want, and will complain and attack anyone who tells them no like the current GBS IK and mods.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 19, 2023

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Good job on steering the conversation away from mod feedback to whether or not harsh criticism is abusive which took us back to word filter moderation everyone.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Rust Martialis posted:

Because we *are* adults - we clearly support the dreaded "word moderation" on SA for any number of terms, so the place is maybe qualitatively different from 4chan.

I'm tired, I guess. I'm tired of the posters just popping in to deliberately get probed. And I'm tired of admins who tell me the rest of us should just put up with it. I'm not sure who's worse.

So I can be as awful as I want so long as I don't use a specific word?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Good job on steering the conversation away from mod feedback to whether or not harsh criticism is abusive which took us back to word filter moderation everyone.

Working as intended I guess

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Fluffdaddy posted:

This is such a weird comment.

If words have no power would you agree that SA should have no prohibitions on any slurs? You’ve personally banned people for making racially charged comments (and not even using slurs!). You even banned a poster who called you fat.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's actually the opposite of my view, which is to be less awful. So, no.

But ask the new Sheriff in town what we have to put up with, they're calling the shots now.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I think it would be good if the GBS mods would post here, since the entire reason Fluff is doing this is giving them the ability to post their feelings with an actual third party handling moderation for a bit

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don’t particularly care if people can say AIDS or whatever, but you know you’re missing the point. It’s not an either/or. And yes certain terms - because of their history and context - are inherently worse than other terms that reference the same subject or mean the same thing.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Upgrade posted:

This is such a weird comment.

If words have no power would you agree that SA should have no prohibitions on any slurs? You’ve personally banned people for making racially charged comments (and not even using slurs!). You even banned a poster who called you fat.

I agree that SA should have no prohibitions on slurs. it's very easy to spot a hateful post no matter what words are used in it

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
"Get a thicker skin" just generates a toxic culture and I think GBS (hell, most forums on SA!) broadly recognize that allowing weirdos to hurl constant abuse is unhealthy.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Potassium Problems posted:

I agree that SA should have no prohibitions on slurs. it's very easy to spot a hateful post no matter what words are used in it

If words have no power why do we have to do anything about hateful posts?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

word filter moderation is hated becuase its about punishing the poster for using a word no matter the context it is used if you use your brain and read the post you can tell when someone is being a bigot or when someone is saying a bad word to be funny or to make a point

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

word filter moderation is hated becuase its about punishing the poster for using a word no matter the context it is used if you use your brain and read the post you can tell when someone is being a bigot or when someone is saying a bad word to be funny or to make a point

Could you provide some examples of really funny posts using the n-word you’re not able to make because of the dreaded word filter moderation?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

for example, i was giving this red text for talking about how slurs like fag can be terms of endearment in queer communities because the word is being reclaimed and someone got really mad about it lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Upgrade posted:

Could you provide some examples of really funny posts using the n-word you’re not able to make because of the dreaded word filter moderation?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If you can’t be racist against fictional characters, then prove it: call Mace Windu the n-word.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Upgrade posted:

i cant think of a situation where i could post the n word and make it funny which is why i would not use the word.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

like the bigger point is of course words can be hurtful, saying otherwise is loving stupid. the reason why it’s fine to say “don’t post the n-word in GBS” is because it prevents loving morons from trying to prove that they can use it in a funny way, thus making everyone else’s user experience better because they don’t have to read stupid bigoted poo poo.

that doesn’t mean you can only punish people if they post a dreaded slur, or that you can’t be bigoted without posting a slur.

where problems happen is with less clear cut examples. clearly at a certain point the answer becomes “use judgement and context” but sometimes it’s far easier to just say “nope”. I personally don’t think the line for that is AIDS or whatever causes the original debate, but like any Real Adult I also don’t care that much.

and SA has always had a humor exception. It’s just that most people who post here aren’t funny.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Please just excise the Nick Mullen wannabes back to FYAD since that is supposed to be black hole for it anyways

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i cant think of a situation where i could post the n word and make it funny which is why i would not use the word.

and my point is then let’s not even open the door, because I promise you that there will be 500 unfunny racist jokes for every 1 that gets a tepid laugh. I don’t want to have to read 499 wannabe hilarious posts using the n-word.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Upgrade posted:

If words have no power why do we have to do anything about hateful posts?

I don't think you understand things like context and intent. possible skill issue

Upgrade posted:

clearly at a certain point the answer becomes “use judgement and context” but sometimes it’s far easier to just say “nope”

ahh definitely a skill issue

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Upgrade posted:

and my point is then let’s not even open the door, because I promise you that there will be 500 unfunny racist jokes for every 1 that gets a tepid laugh. I don’t want to have to read 499 wannabe hilarious posts using the n-word.

no one is begging to be allowed to use the n word here lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

you mfs are obsessed with the n word

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it’s the most clear cut case of word filter moderation being appropriate. past that we’re arguing where the line is, and that’s ok.

I’m generally pretty permissive in what things I’d be ok with people posting, but saying that any prohibitions against using a certain word are wrong because words can’t hurt you is loving stupid.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Toxic Mental posted:

Please just excise the Nick Mullen wannabes back to FYAD since that is supposed to be black hole for it anyways

FYAD is funny

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

as I said

Dick Fontaine posted:

even several of the dumbest trolls on this forum can understand that. why would you let them bait you with it?

none of you are new to this, why do you keep falling for it?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Some of you and it shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The rule should be based on context, but the n-word is almost never acceptable in the context of GBS posts and so it would still end up exactly the same as it is now. Imo.