Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the movies include some extra details that tomino seemingly wanted to include originally and rearrange some of the basic events but its not a massive rewrite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The vibe I took away from The Origin movies was not "wow Char's so cool" it's "wow Char is a total sociopath" I don't see how you watch those and not get that impression.

Also the fact that some of his vendetta against the Zabis is fueled by his crazy teacher indoctrinating him when there's a non zero chance his dad just, like, had a heart attack.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The Origin (ova) definitely thinks Char was born evil, but also it thinks he's the coolest person to ever live. I think that's the biggest divergence from "mainline uc canon" where neither of those things are true.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The Origin Char wasn't born evil he just has massive mommy issues that he wont resolve until the moment before his death

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Char Aznable? You mean Roger's kid from Texas Colony? What are ya talking about, he's a good boy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never seen or read Origin but I heard it turned Garma into an rear end in a top hat. That's pretty different from the original.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Garma develops from a rich kid bully to a relatively cool guy after he's humbled and then befriended by Char.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The Origin saw the episode where Garma died and the bit where Char watches the funeral and says "It was because he was a spoiled brat" and just decided that was all it needed to know about the characters. So now Garma is very firmly a spoiled brat and Char can't stop killing people by tricking them into getting into vehicles that are going to explode

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

allthe greco movies are out now? we're not still at 3/5?

chrome line posted:

The Origin (ova) definitely thinks Char was born evil, but also it thinks he's the coolest person to ever live. I think that's the biggest divergence from "mainline uc canon" where neither of those things are true.

char being the coolest person to ever live is definitely true

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a shame Amuro had to go beyond the time and he couldn't come back to tell everyone about Char's mommy issues so they could all laugh at the Red Crybaby.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Arc Hammer posted:

It's a shame Amuro had to go beyond the time and he couldn't come back to tell everyone about Char's mommy issues so they could all laugh at the Red Crybaby.

The ghosts of Amuro, Char, and Lalah do come back to dunk on Full Frontal's corpse at the end of Unicorn which was really funny.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Do you think amuro char and lalah are just having constant newtype threesomes in the newtype afterlife

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

allthe greco movies are out now? we're not still at 3/5?

They're all out though they aren't streaming anywhere so the only legal way to watch them is to buy the blurays.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Do you think amuro char and lalah are just having constant newtype threesomes in the newtype afterlife

yes next question

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

yes next question

does full frontal ever sneak in pretending to be char

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
He tries, but lacks the weird poo poo Char has with women so they know instantly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SnakesRevenge posted:

The what, now?

Hayato and Kai tell Amuro in the third part that pilots in past wars would ask their lovers for a locket of pubic hair as a good luck charm and encourage Amuro to ask Sayla for one, but he never does so far as I remember and when Amuro is killed Kai in the immediate blames it on Amuro not having gotten one.

Kanos posted:

The Guncannon still makes some sense in the OYW, since one of the main limitations of One Year War technology is that beam guns are gigantic power hogs that are hard to miniaturize to the point where the Gundam's beam rifle is basically a bolt from the blue wunderwaffen, so having big solid shot cannons still makes sense.

It's less sensible once everyone and their dog has a beam rifle.

Beam rifles don't really become standard for a good while even after the One Year War though, and they're pretty rare by the start of the Gryps Conflict. They become more common by the later half of the war, but even then there's still a good few units that don't field them and it's only really in ZZ that they become standard fare. A few decades later the advent of miniaturized suits with thinner armor where speed and beam shielding were more important than actual armor meant that physical weapons were more effective than they had been for a while too.

chrome line posted:

The Origin saw the episode where Garma died and the bit where Char watches the funeral and says "It was because he was a spoiled brat" and just decided that was all it needed to know about the characters. So now Garma is very firmly a spoiled brat and Char can't stop killing people by tricking them into getting into vehicles that are going to explode

Garma was a spoiled brat, to be fair. He read basically every situation wrong, and was only as effective as he was because Char was there at the time to realize what was actually happening, he hosted big soirees and was mostly driven to earn acclaim from action rather than his name not by a belief in the war or even a desire to lead his men, but to impress his father and sister. He was still trying to be a good leader and died trying to take his enemies with him, but he was doing it mostly for selfish, superficial reasons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look Full Frontal is gay and in denial which is why Angelo is so drat frustrated that his crush keeps ignoring his obvious gestures of affection.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Angelo? More like Gyunei Less

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Angelo? More like Gyunei Less

Hey man, Angelo is way too down bad for an adult at least.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
full frontal tried, but he just couldn't handle emulating char's disastrous personal life.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Char's Deleted Affair? More like Char's Deleted Dating Profile.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arc Hammer posted:

Look Full Frontal is gay and in denial which is why Angelo is so drat frustrated that his crush keeps ignoring his obvious gestures of affection.

And then he later assumes a new identity, gets married into a rich family, becomes the most cucked man in the Universal Century, puts on a metal helmet and tries to murder everyone with Beyblades and tentacles

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could see Angelo going that way.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chrome line posted:

Well, except the part where Garma is a spoiled brat for pretty much only his intro and his initial competition with Char before he realizes he's out of his depth and he very rapidly mellows out and becomes extremely chill for the remaining 90% of his screen time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

char telling garma "you're the only one who can do this, it has to be you leading us" and then the moment garma is talked into it pulling out a labeled map and going "ok here's the 5 stage plan" is pretty funny

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

ninjewtsu posted:

No. Amuro's actual super power was to keep his poo poo relatively together and eventually move on with his life.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

No. Amuro's actual super power was to keep his poo poo relatively together and eventually move on with his life.

One of the reasons Tomino has that stuff is because his character developments are just like 20% off what it seems like they should be. When he goes into space and Lalah is haunting him (as he predicted) I love that his response is just "please leave me alone"

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

grassy gnoll posted:

If anything he would be banging Chan instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Within the confines of the manga adaptation, Char in The Origin is just presented as extremely hosed up. He was the son of NotJesus and lived his entire life dealing with that while being raised by Ramba Ral's hosed up dad which only made him worse. He's charismatic and a schemer but it's pretty careful to show that his schemes are almost always short-term goals at the best of time.

Like that's a key to Char and it's there in the original series too. Char is not a good long-term planner. He is entirely too prone to acting on his impulses and doing something that appeals to him in the short term without considering the long-term consequences to people around him or to his own plans. Like yeah he can betray his friend and drop a quip as he dies but his short-sightedness means he almost fucks up his plans to kill the people he *really* hates, then he gets diverted by Lalah, then he gets diverted by Amuro and even him getting his revenge against Kycilia is (within the original show/Origin) presented as him basically deciding it's more important to Bazooka her right loving now than to get to safety.

From the start of his life to the end of his life he basically is incapable of not self-sabotaging because any long term plans he has go out the window the moment he sees something that tickles his fancy, which is why he ends it getting his poo poo kicked in by Amuro because he sent Amuro the tech he needed to stop his plan.

You can look at Char and see how he is superficially cool and good at killing people but it's also very clear that is all he is good at. If he developed past that and actually was able to focus on his goals he probably could have been terrifyingly effective but at that point he wouldn't really have been Char anymore either because Char is 100% the guy who will get his own best friend killed because he wants to drop a sick burn.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1681866583982104576

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

If anything he would be banging Chan instead.

Amuro and Chan spend most of their time in the afterlife together, but she insists that he get the weird poo poo he has going on with Lalah sorted out, so sometimes he meets with her and gets really depressed watching the Turn A wipe out civilization.

On the upside, that gives him and Chan more material for their Mobile Suit criticism podcast.

I still like how IBO had its Char and Garma setup twist so the Garma survives and grows as a person. Gaelio going from a spoiled brat to the most conventionally heroic figure in the show, even as the Char clone got so caught up in his own bullshit that he starts making speeches about how he's still totally winning even as he's abandoned by everyone and left alone against a fleet.

McGillis and Gaelio are fun. (Also fun? Everyone in IBO constantly has their plans fall apart. Unlike some shows where everything depends on ridiculous, minute details going perfectly, almost everyone in Orphans has to eat poo poo pretty often.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 20, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chiasaur11 posted:

(Also fun? Everyone in IBO constantly has their plans fall apart. Unlike some shows where everything depends on ridiculous, minute details going perfectly, almost everyon in Orphans has to eat poo poo pretty often.)

Iok was exactly the piece of poo poo idiot season two needed for exactly this reason.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
"I AM A PATHETIC MAN WHO'S WIFE LEFT HIM FOR ANOTHER MAN, THEO"

When you introduce this huge imposing Darth Vader Char clone and this is literally one of the first things he says when he appears on screen.

Truly amazing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sander posted:

"I AM A PATHETIC MAN WHO'S WIFE LEFT HIM FOR ANOTHER MAN, THEO"

When you introduce this huge imposing Darth Vader Char clone and this is literally one of the first things he says when he appears on screen.

Truly amazing.

Which becomes like 20 times funnier when you consider that the man she left him for is a pathetic scumbag

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Iok was exactly the piece of poo poo idiot season two needed for exactly this reason.

It wasn't until, like, a third watch I realized that Iok accidentally shooting Julietta made her miss the capture for the Dawn Horizon boss, which leads directly to Mika capturing the guy, which lead to Tekkadan's deal with McGillis, which lead to the whole plot of the season.

He is a staggering amount of fuckup. Even Jerid can't compete.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

drrockso20 posted:

Which becomes like 20 times funnier when you consider that the man she left him for is a pathetic scumbag

And then he has a giant robot fight with his daughter in which he goes "LOOK HOW COOL MY CYBER-NEWTYPE ENHANCEMENTS ARE, I CAN CONTROL MACHINES WITH MY MIND. WHY DO YOU AND YOUR MOM LOOK DOWN ON ME. WOMEN!!!!!"

People laugh at Char's mommy Lalah line, but this dude is on a whole another level.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ninjewtsu posted:

Amuro and lalah gently caress, char has to sit in the newtype cuck chair

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sander posted:

And then he has a giant robot fight with his daughter in which he goes "LOOK HOW COOL MY CYBER-NEWTYPE ENHANCEMENTS ARE, I CAN CONTROL MACHINES WITH MY MIND. WHY DO YOU AND YOUR MOM LOOK DOWN ON ME. WOMEN!!!!!"

People laugh at Char's mommy Lalah line, but this dude is on a whole another level.

char at least had the good sense to wait until he was about to die before revealing what a weirdo he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Char walked so Darth Elon could run