Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Wendigee posted:

I thought the issue was resolved except for a few people who wanted some gbs mods removed for their heinous acts.

Is there another pressing issue because I'm just seeing that and word modding fights over a s over again in a circle.

People should have thick skin and also how dare a mod issue sixers is the gist I'm getting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

People should have thick skin and also how dare a mod issue sixers is the gist I'm getting

Yeah. I mean I read the thread I'm just not sure what issue still needs litigation. Not sure there is one other than mods bad which is not the opinion of most people that regular post here.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Wendigee posted:

Whoever is still upset.

I don't even know what the argument is anymore.

I Have No Context, and I Must Post

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

I Have No Context, and I Must Post

:dumbbravo:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

Not sure how you're getting that gist, please explain.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Karma Comedian posted:

Thread rule 1: assume good faith.

I was sixering people for disregarding the multiple instructions and warnings to take the argument elsewhere, not dismissing or being sarcastic anything.

The posts are all here, in public view, in this thread. I know a bunch of people are all irony poisoned but I've been sincere in every post here. Stopping an argument that has been told to stop is part of the duties of a moderator.

DW decided apropos of nothing that I was talking specifically and only to them, even though I explained to them I wasn't, and that they'd responded to a post that wasn't about them, and they decided to keep going. Out of everyone arguing when I posted to stop, they're the only one that took it personally or thought it was directed explicitly at them. I've never even said he specifically was sniping, and I challenge anyone to find where I did.

I was beyond patient, to the point of receiving several complaints from other members of the community about the guy monopolizing the thread, and I gave more than enough warnings and options to cut it out. My final warning was even quoted to continue the argument.

I guess my counterpoint is that its a poor decision to stifle a line of communication that is feedback, whether you like it or not, because you personally feel the conversation is over. Then to go to SAD and be condescending in the feedback thread there is also not a good call.

And its not even the condescension that is the problem. Being condescending is even fine if you truly feel something is not worth your time, but at least be honest about it instead of pretending it was something else.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Karma Comedian posted:

I was sixering people for disregarding the multiple instructions and warnings to take the argument elsewhere, not dismissing or being sarcastic anything.

The posts are all here, in public view, in this thread. I know a bunch of people are all irony poisoned but I've been sincere in every post here. Stopping an argument that has been told to stop is part of the duties of a moderator.

DW decided apropos of nothing that I was talking specifically and only to them, even though I explained to them I wasn't, and that they'd responded to a post that wasn't about them, and they decided to keep going. Out of everyone arguing when I posted to stop, they're the only one that took it personally or thought it was directed explicitly at them. I've never even said he specifically was sniping, and I challenge anyone to find where I did.

I was beyond patient, to the point of receiving several complaints from other members of the community about the guy monopolizing the thread, and I gave more than enough warnings and options to cut it out. My final warning was even quoted to continue the argument.

Okay so where did the random blast directed at no one in SAD come into this? That's the part that that caused the default assumption of hostility and redirection you had when Fluff first took over in here.

I'll take you at face value in this case and provide feedback to that perception - there are major communication issues on display right now between GBS moderation and the people providing feedback to them, whatever that feedback may be

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Toxic Mental posted:

I feel like anyone who says that "______ is aids" isn't a loaded phrase any longer, or that that it doesn't still have a lot of negative power due to it being associated with the gay community for so long is probably lying to you. Same on the flipside with "I just really really hate the disease" or whatever someone tried to claim in the old thread. That's just how I see it though, obviously some people don't.

i think there's probably a generational gap or regional differences there - i wasn't alive during the 80s, so it's never had that association for me at all. i grew up in Seattle peak heroin era and in kindergarten the staff would have to patrol the recess yard for discarded syringes daily and warned us about bloodborne diseases all the time, that's how i was familiarized with AIDS and i knew what it was for a few years before i knew what 'gay' even meant or what sex/sexuality was

the first association that comes to mind for me is iv drug use, then Eazy-E & Freddy Mercury dying from it/Magic Johnson having HIV, then high rates in countries in subsaharan africa, but primarily iv use. AIDS having some inherent connection to gayness just wasn't the way i learned about it. im just speaking for myself here but someone saying "this is AIDS" doesn't even have an association to me with AIDS to be honest. the slang usage is totally separate mentally, without other context only really evokes "it's not good" being communicated a purposefully juvenile way when i read/hear someone say it

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Karma Comedian posted:

i don't feel compelled to stop if the bad thing im doing is very poorly defined. also you provided an example only of good feedback with no explanation of why it is good, and not a clear example of bad feedback and why.

again, you are making a very pedantic argument: my criticism of posts like this

Karma Comedian posted:

Then wait? Continuing to beat the horse isn't going to get him to respond any faster. That thread is now closed, and this isn't the "GBS feedback thread feedback thread," so any further discussion about it should be done in PMs or an appropriate thread.

This is a very weird way to read "discuss this all you want in an appropriate venue." I'm sorry youre feeling persecuted by what was clearly labeled a joke, but it's not any forum wars anything to tell everyone that is clearly sniping at each other in the feedback thread to take it elsewhere.

is invalid because you were talking to me, not referring specifically to me. but my issue was you, as mod, seeming to paint all critique and feedback as snipey. if you can't take the second part as a discrete thing from the first, that is *your problem*, not context to consider. you then replied in a way that i and others identified as patronising, and you haven't apologized for it. you're asking us to consider language very specifically for you, but absolutely fail to reciprocate it

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol new avatar, classy.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Jose Valasquez posted:

If you've got a really funny joke that requires a slur just post it and eat the 6er

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

most of me is amphetamine at this point lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

lol new avatar, classy.

lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

incensed

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lol cool

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FirstnameLastname posted:

i think there's probably a generational gap or regional differences there - i wasn't alive during the 80s, so it's never had that association for me at all

I was, and lost friends, and friends of friends, when it was still a long death sentence in the years before any real treatment was available. It's not a nice death. So yeah, gently caress you to people who use it as a slur, from someone who remembers.

I agree though, it seems to mostly be a replacement for calling something you dislike "gay", because this is 2023 and that sort of homophobia is not acceptable. AIDS is still regarded as a "gay disease" though, I linked UNAIDS and other articles from 2022 and later discussing it to point out the issue is still real.

Context *obviously* matters, but the posters coming into the feedback threads saying "this thread is aids" were not exactly presenting a real challenge to the mods to understand their 'context', were they?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Babe Magnet posted:

lol new avatar, classy.

why is it ai generated lol

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it's kinda like, gross to look at. really uncanny.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I went to bed and woke up and then later checked this thread and there were like 200 new posts. I checked the start and end and it looks like y'all are still talking about the same things from like a thread iteration or two ago lol

So, is this getting anywhere? Did we reach a conclusion and resolution in those 200 posts?

Also every user should get both:
1. Their own word filter list, so I can have things like "foot" changed to "feetsies" cause that's funny.
2. An automated thingy where if you step into a thread and any word you don't like is used it auto reports that post.

Also we should allow users to irl wrestle a mod to gain their modship.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
drat. shame one can't figure out who's weaponizing these avs. maybe if our loving dipshit moron site owner got his loving rear end off the thai resort he's been on for the last half year during which this exact thing has happened three or four times already we'd know. alas

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

I was, and lost friends, and friends of friends, when it was still a long death sentence in the years before any real treatment was available. It's not a nice death. So yeah, gently caress you to people who use it as a slur, from someone who remembers.

I agree though, it seems to mostly be a replacement for calling something you dislike "gay", because this is 2023 and that sort of homophobia is not acceptable. AIDS is still regarded as a "gay disease" though, I linked UNAIDS and other articles from 2022 and later discussing it to point out the issue is still real.

Context *obviously* matters, but the posters coming into the feedback threads saying "this thread is aids" were not exactly presenting a real challenge to the mods to understand their 'context', were they?

you can wring your hands about "aids" being unequivocally about being gay and really it's because they're homophobes and therefore Chuds or whatever,

but it's really just that it's funny and riles people up. probably half or more of the people doing it are gay! they've felt the lack of elder gays in their own communities!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Craig K posted:

drat. shame one can't figure out who's weaponizing these avs. maybe if our loving dipshit moron site owner got his loving rear end off the thai resort he's been on for the last half year during which this exact thing has happened three or four times already we'd know. alas

Who has been given an inappropriate av?

I'm aware of the history, I'm just not sure what you're talking about in terms of this thread

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm aware of the history, I'm just not sure what you're talking about in terms of this thread

dw89's

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Karma Comedian posted:

I was sixering people for disregarding the multiple instructions and warnings to take the argument elsewhere

What elsewhere? Is discussion of GBS moderation not feedback about GBS, and thus appropriate for this thread? Is discussion of this very thread, which is in GBS, not feedback about GBS, and thus also appropriate for this thread?

"If you want to give feedback about GBS make a new thread and stop posting it in the GBS feedback thread." doesn't make any damned sense.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Craig K posted:

The fact that it's a crying baby instead of something bigoted should be seen as an improvement, at least.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

they're taking issue with douche wolf's av because of the context of the convo

efb

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
That's not nearly the same thing as massive transphobic or outright slur avatars. It's a baby crying with a text of where's my apology. There's a wide difference between the two.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I mean it's really stupid and whoever bought it was a gigantic loser but a crying child av isn't a "weaponized" av buy in any way.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Craig K posted:

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Cthulu Carl posted:

The fact that it's a crying baby instead of something bigoted should be seen as an improvement, at least.

yeah you know what, you're not wrong. the fact it's a crying child instead of calling him "a whiny (dealers choice on the slur here)" is an improvement

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

it do be ugly tho

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Craig K posted:

Off topic, but we would not reveal who bought that AV because its not bigoted or even offensive, even if we could.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it's not really that big of a deal. a dick move, sure, but not a big one in the grand scheme of things

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Why is AV/red text buying for posters even a thing anyway

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

And thus, GBS completes its metamorphosis into SAD2

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

grieving for Gandalf posted:

but it's really just that it's funny and riles people up.
By that logic, we should be cool and laugh at the whiny crying avatar!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tai posted:

historically, because its funny

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tai posted:

It's occasionally funny (see above) and it generates revenue for the site.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 20, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it can be funny

the real problem with it really is that it's not traceable, and won't ever be because it requires Jeff input. There's been a good SAD thread or two about it so far but at the end of the day it involves money (and technically code, but Astral said that it's not actually a big deal on his end) and only one person can do anything about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

By that logic, we should be cool and laugh at the whiny crying avatar!

we should, and we are. hell, I did, and so did DW