Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

More general forums and av buying feedback, buuuuut

THAT'S how you weaponize an av. Thank you for your service, whoever had the spare :10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

yeah it's funnier now that it's spreading tbh

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol why AI generate a crying toddler if you're just going to use the same one

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

lol
Now reveal who bought the av Jeffrey!!!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

he can't, the nerds can only track the av if you buy it for yourself

unless....

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Remember to log in if you buy AV's!

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Psycho Landlord posted:

he can't, the nerds can only track the av if you buy it for yourself

yeah, since "buying yourself avatar" is a different price than "buying someone else an avatar" (or being bought one, I suppose) so shows up differently in logging, IIRC

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tai posted:

Why is AV/red text buying for posters even a thing anyway

title/post combo

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
can we get to the part where it turns out one of the mods is doing these for free that'll be the real funny part

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

dervival posted:

yeah, since "buying yourself avatar" is a different price than "buying someone else an avatar" (or being bought one, I suppose) so shows up differently in logging, IIRC

It's not the price difference, it's the fact that you have to be logged in to use the option to buy for yourself, but not to buy one for someone else - that's how SPR got got.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Cthulu Carl posted:

It's not the price difference, it's the fact that you have to be logged in to use the option to buy for yourself, but not to buy one for someone else - that's how SPR got got.

ah, that makes more sense; definitely some minor change in data available, though that one is a lot more obvious haha

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
My new AV edgy

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
i don't care abt it lol, as long as ppl don't get nasty ones and the person is bein' a scamp rather than frothing it's just a goofy use of 10 bucks

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

i don't care abt it lol, as long as ppl don't get nasty ones and the person is bein' a scamp rather than frothing it's just a goofy use of 10 bucks

up to $30 already, not bad for a few pages work

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The nefarious avatar buying crew strikes again

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

I guess my counterpoint is that its a poor decision to stifle a line of communication that is feedback, whether you like it or not, because you personally feel the conversation is over. Then to go to SAD and be condescending in the feedback thread there is also not a good call.

And its not even the condescension that is the problem. Being condescending is even fine if you truly feel something is not worth your time, but at least be honest about it instead of pretending it was something else.

I'm not the one being condescending here. If you don't want to believe my posts were in earnest that's a you decision, but it has no bearing on the reality of the situation which is that I've been sincere and earnest in my postings about this weird "incident" the entire time until now in all forums and PMs.

You're assuming my motivations are different when I've spelled them out clearly several times.i gave several options for other venues, all were rejected. As a mod, I represent the community that I moderate not me, not Seth, not any other weird cabal of "teams" or "sides" or whatever other dumb paranoid delusion people want to believe.

Some guy screaming in the thread and demanding people go through and find examples of things he hasn't even been accused of is not feedback. Telling people to take that elsewhere isn't "stifling" the conversation.

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 20, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You were being condescending actually.

Hth

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I submit that it's possible to feel condescended to and for the other party to not have any intention of being condescending. Both can be valid.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Cousin Todd posted:

I submit that it's possible to feel condescended to and for the other party to not have any intention of being condescending. Both can be valid.

A fair point. I don't think there's any world where "hth" to someone asking you a direct question isn't intentionally condescending though.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Karma Comedian posted:

I'm not the one being condescending here. If you don't want to believe my posts were in earnest that's a you decision, but it has no bearing on the reality of the situation which is that I've been sincere and earnest in my postings about this weird "incident" the entire time in all forums and PMs.

You're assuming my motivations are different when I've spelled them out clearly several times.i gave several options for other venues, all were rejected. As a mod, I represent the community that I moderate not me, not Seth, not any other weird cabal of "teams" or "sides" or whatever other dumb paranoid delusion people want today believe.

Some guy screaming in the thread and demanding people go through and find examples of things he hasn't even been accused of is not feedback. Telling people to take that elsewhere isn't "stifling" the conversation.

i literally only asked you and Seth, the mods who are expected to give guidance on feedback on the thread they mod. you are complaining that people were condescending to you too, which is extremely goober behaviour when you refer to paranoid delusions and get defensive when told you did it.

mods should be expected to give examples of what they're talking about, that is not an offensive ask lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cousin Todd posted:

yeah this is absolutely true, you don't get to dictate other people's feelings, and when multiple posters are taking issue with a specific post or part of a post maybe a little more contrition than "nuh uh" would be welcomed

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 20, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

surc posted:

Okay I'm not trying to own the dude or anything but I keep thinking this every time somebody talks about slurs in the context of people getting upset about AIDS as a homophobic slur (which I'm kind of assuming all of this is about) and it's driving me crazy. Isn't the logic that got posted for why it's a homophobic slur like, beat for beat the logic that got used to to stir up gay panic in the 80s and label AIDS as "the gay plague" and "god's judgement on those sinners" and other terrible poo poo?

If I've completely lost the plot let me know but I swear that's the history. Regardless it seems odd to me, there are a lot of diseases that affect some groups of people more than others but like, I don't think anybody's going around telling people they can't say Diabetes and I don't think I've ever in my life run into anybody saying AIDS is a homophobic slur before this whole thing on the forums.

its ok to call aids the gay disease if its to pwn your posting foes, thusly

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

I was, and lost friends, and friends of friends, when it was still a long death sentence in the years before any real treatment was available. It's not a nice death. So yeah, gently caress you to people who use it as a slur, from someone who remembers.

I agree though, it seems to mostly be a replacement for calling something you dislike "gay", because this is 2023 and that sort of homophobia is not acceptable. AIDS is still regarded as a "gay disease" though, I linked UNAIDS and other articles from 2022 and later discussing it to point out the issue is still real.

Context *obviously* matters, but the posters coming into the feedback threads saying "this thread is aids" were not exactly presenting a real challenge to the mods to understand their 'context', were they?

really nasty guy lol

Counted
Apr 28, 2023
I think it is patronizing to tone-police communities and this should be avoided - however, it's also patronizing to think that it must be only childish sensitivity and not lived experiences driving other posters to say they're not comfortable with certain words being used around them or in the subforums they post in where this isn't already a thing.

I don't have an answer as to what is the right thing for mods to do in terms of what rules to put where, but just an observation to consider before the conclusion is drawn that it's only thin-skinned scolds keeping the issue surrounding offensive words and slurs(both different, but both brought up in here) alive. Imagine if someone does have a bad lived experience driving their discomfort - do you think they'd want to talk about it with how aggressive these conversations get? gently caress no. They'll probably just leave the space and find somewhere else to post - which is fine and cool for tight-knit communities, but kind of counterproductive if a place is supposed to feel more open to everyone posting in it.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I slept on this post because I really don't like giving out personal information online but woke up and am still feeling the same so:

With regards to word filter moderation, and not wanting to give out too many details about my life online, I'm under the queer umbrella and going to be extremely angry if someone calls me a fag. Calling things AIDS just feels gross. The company I work for does various support stuff for people with mental disabilities, it used to have the word "Retarded" in its title, and changed it several decades ago because it was insulting to our clients, and I work both alongside and with neuro-divergent people.

I'm only sharing even those personal details because I keep seeing people say that it's only straight, cis, neurotypical, etc. who are pearl-clutching about slurs, but some of them are directed at groups I'm a part of and I do find them incredibly insulting. Just because you personally don't, doesn't mean that's the case for the group they're directed at as a whole. If you're in a group chat or whatever talking to someone who you know doesn't give a poo poo it's whatever, but these are a public forum and personally, I'd rather not have people throwing them around like it's nothing, and would rather their use going unpunished after examining context be the exception rather than the rule, if for no other reason that it gives genuine bigots space to fly under the radar. Worst case it's a sixer if you get hit wrongly, who gives a gently caress?

I don't wanna associate or be associated with people who use any of that language.

While I was typing this and considering whether or not I actually wanted to post it Counted made their post where they said the same thing but maybe better. I'd rather gently caress off somewhere else than be around people throwing around slurs like it's nothing.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Counted posted:

I think it is patronizing to tone-police communities and this should be avoided - however, it's also patronizing to think that it must be only childish sensitivity and not lived experiences driving other posters to say they're not comfortable with certain words being used around them or in the subforums they post in where this isn't already a thing.

I don't have an answer as to what is the right thing for mods to do in terms of what rules to put where, but just an observation to consider before the conclusion is drawn that it's only thin-skinned scolds keeping the issue surrounding offensive words and slurs(both different, but both brought up in here) alive. Imagine if someone does have a bad lived experience driving their discomfort - do you think they'd want to talk about it with how aggressive these conversations get? gently caress no. They'll probably just leave the space and find somewhere else to post - which is fine and cool for tight-knit communities, but kind of counterproductive if a place is supposed to feel more open to everyone posting in it.

And I would argue that it is not other people's, especially strangers, responsibility to mince their words around you on a message forum to protect you from your own trauma.

Like if someone was directly insulting a person by being a bigot, then that is an immediate ban, if not a permaban. But posters should not have to have to wonder if every post they make is going to hurt someone elses feelings, especially if they are not directed at them.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Drone_Fragger posted:

The nefarious avatar buying crew strikes again

thats the other c-word ur not supposed to use you will regret this post op

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Fluffdaddy posted:

And I would argue that it is not other people's, especially strangers, responsibility to mince their words around you on a message forum to protect you from your own trauma.

Like if someone was directly insulting a person by being a bigot, then that is an immediate ban, if not a permaban. But posters should not have to have to wonder if every post they make is going to hurt someone elses feelings, especially if they are not directed at them.

Do you mean to say you don't think any posting of slurs or other offensive terms should be probated? Why is it reasonable to be offended by ableist posts, for example, but people affected by HIV are just thin-skinned for not wanting to see people making aids poo poo posts? Which marginalized people are allowed to be offended by mockery here, and which ones should just suck it up, in your opinion?

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ArchRanger posted:

Worst case it's a sixer if you get hit wrongly, who gives a gently caress?

I think people who repeatedly violate that rule should be ramped, it being a 6 hour probe no matter how many times you do it, and no matter how flagrantly, just turns it into a badge of honor for some people. Like it's almost a cute little thing, they get a little 'bonk' probation reason or whatever for six hours, the 150th one they've gotten for the same reason. That's not going to change anyone's behavior and it doesn't show that it's being taken seriously because it isn't. someone who calls someone the r slur on 50 different occasions should by then at least be getting more than a 6er. As it is, someone getting their 35th 6 hour probation for calling someone the r slur is more legitimizing it and establishing that it's actually fine way more than it is establishing that it's not fine.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

run on sentience posted:

Do you mean to say you don't think any posting of slurs or other offensive terms should be probated? Why is it reasonable to be offended by ableist posts, for example, but people affected by HIV are just thin-skinned for not wanting to see people making aids poo poo posts? Which marginalized people are allowed to be offended by mockery here, and which ones should just suck it up, in your opinion?

I think context matters entirely. I think people mocking other people should be punished and probated heavily. I don't think the words themselves are the problem here I think the intent is.

I don't think I am being obtuse here so explain to me how you can read the words I am typing and come to the conclusion you just did?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

run on sentience posted:

That's quite the leap from what they said "if someone was directly insulting a person by being a bigot, then that is an immediate ban" to your interpretation.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

teemolover42069 posted:

I think people who repeatedly violate that rule should be ramped, it being a 6 hour probe no matter how many times you do it, and no matter how flagrantly, just turns it into a badge of honor for some people. Like it's almost a cute little thing, they get a little 'bonk' probation reason or whatever for six hours, the 150th one they've gotten for the same reason. That's not going to change anyone's behavior and it doesn't show that it's being taken seriously because it isn't. someone who calls someone the r slur on 50 different occasions should by then at least be getting more than a 6er. As it is, someone getting their 35th 6 hour probation for calling someone the r slur is more legitimizing it and establishing that it's actually fine way more than it is establishing that it's not fine.

Yeah I definitely mean for a first offense. I wish mods ramped people posting the same rule-breaking poo poo faster.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

run on sentience posted:

good loving god you’re stupid

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Thank you to Counted and ArchRanger for your posts.

Counted
Apr 28, 2023

Fluffdaddy posted:

I would agree, but that's not the ask and I'm instead saying think of the dynamic here - do you think the number of people who have negative experiences involving these words is small?

Also, there's more than individual trauma involved in why these words have weight. Let's not minimize the wider context behind why these words have made entire groups of people feel the way they do outside these forums and pretend that they're reading all these posts in a society-less vacuum. Anyone who has lived in a racist area of the South, as an example, isn't just contending with their individual trauma when they're trying to feel comfortable around a racial slur. It's reductionist as hell and misses other reasons why someone would initially want to leave a space where slurs are commonplace and they weren't expecting it.

quote:

That's exactly my point - folks using these words after they've already been normalized somewhere, among people they're familiar with, won't have to worry about this sort of thing or worry about not being accepted in good faith or having to explain themselves if they're misunderstood. That's why folks having smaller subforum communities where they can say these things around people they know and are able to just post freely are cool and good and should be preserved.

However, it's unrealistic to think it's going to be the same in a broader space. There's going to be less shared context and more of a gap possibly in shared experiences, right? Case in point - let's say slurs are allowed here in GBS now and there's a slur in someone's response to something another poster shared that they used ironically, but the other poster doesn't know them in that way, has no familiarity with them. Both of them are posters who have every right not be tone-policed by outside people normally when this sort of thing comes up. You now have two posters who would have gotten along eventually just pissing each other off publicly somewhere, with posters who might have much less of substance to say, when a simple rule in the wider forums that are clear, simple and visible would help prevent these kind of misunderstandings. How is that good moderation and rule setting? You're going to get even more conflicts that way.

It's one thing for a community that's kind of narrow where the mods know everyone there to loosen the rules up a bit, but in a subforum with this many people you're just asking for a pretty lovely dynamic and I think it would create a GBS where these arguments are going to come up even more, not less. It's not a good solution imo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

aids isnt a slur

Counted
Apr 28, 2023

Stux posted:

aids isnt a slur

Yeah, it's nowhere near as bad and isn't backed by a long history of institutional prejudice and/or oppression. I acknowledge that and am not equivocating them. That'd be disrespectful as gently caress.

What I'm getting at, though, is that familiarity really drives how people respond to each other when something is said on the boundary of what they consider appropriate, and expecting differently from folks you're unfamiliar with just because this is happening online is pretty naive and you'll keep riling people up without realizing they have a good reason to be riled. It'll keep happening and people will continue fighting, because often both posters have substance and real life experiences driving why they're upset and pissed off and sniping at one another before it reached that point.

Thinking it's always happening because the person upset about it is just too sensitive would be pretty lovely and I hope that's not how we usually roll here, it sounds like boomer logic to me

Counted fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 20, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats really gay.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Counted
Apr 28, 2023

Stux posted:

thats really gay.

thanks, it's my default setting