Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The boss music is great but they're right in that it doesn't have the same "end-of-planet-story" vibes as the Cocolia theme did.

Also considering that we haven't done anything about the Stellaron yet we're definitely not done with the Xianzhou yet.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Clarste posted:

The song's fine but there's no good hype moment to make it memorable.

I was really hyped but I'm also extremely into hotter Dan Heng.

I'm surprised at how much disappointment there is in this thread. I think there will be more but I quite enjoyed the new story this patch.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
just lost my 50/50 for Blade and got Clara instead, which makes this my third straight 50/50 missed

Hope I can grind up enough tickets in the next few weeks to get him without whaling

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

UHD posted:

on the other hand that's two abrupt story cutoffs in the same planet and also what is left to hype up now

i didn't get spoiled on any of it either but i dunno.

spoilers for the new stuff i guess we, or at least i, haven't known dan heng long enough for his big reveal as Super Dragon Man to feel meaningful or important. that and the tingyun heel turn felt completely out of left field and without any sort of buildup it lost any punch it could have had. i spent like an hour watching npcs be rad and honestly i was bored for virtually all of it. maybe it would have worked better if it was one contiguous chain instead of separating the two halves by three months but i doubt it.

i don't think it helped that the MC was basically a spectator for the whole thing. they're the player surrogate and they did jack poo poo, and by extension i didn't feel like i did anything. it was all jing yuan and super dan heng solving the problem in an extended interactive cutscene. i'm about 80% convinced that boss fight was impossible to fail in story mode.

So I'm going to invoke HI3, but there's a character that has a similar situation to what went down this patch. (HI3 spoilers mostly to not give away this patches content) Fu Hua is one of my favorite characters in HI3, she's the serious hall monitor of St Freya, who acts unrealistically mature for a student, and it turns out she's an ancient super soldier who has been alive for such an unfathomably long period of time she has to delete her memory to stay sane. Eventually she regains due to plot that lets her do so without going nuts, and she has to accept that during that lifetime, she's done some awful stuff. Tying into Sushang and Luocha, HI3 Sushang is the daughter of one her disciples, disciples she hunted down and killed. The culmination of all this plot is years into the game, so you've had time to really get attached to Hua and to feel the emotional impact this makes on her. The initial revelation of this stuff isn't even played as a big moment, it's just given out in side content and left to float.

On to SR spoiler stuff specifically, part of why this sucks is that Dan Heng isn't even the one who did whatever horrible act Dan Feng did to get himself exiled. (It was giving Blade immortality I'm betting on this.) He has no real connection to this place, to these people, even to who he was beyond the power he wields. It's awful. We haven't even known Dan well enough to gauge his feelings on his exile. Is he okay with it? How does he feel about these powers and having to keep them hidden? We just don't know. And that's the worst part of it, because the ideas have potential, Hua is amazing and I love her, and Dan's just a total miss.

Gamerofthegame posted:

the build up felt like it was going to be a neat hunt/abundance schism within luofu which would entirely be in character and actually involve people Who Mattered, which I kind of think might have been the initial plan before the question of multiple states made them veer into "oh hey here's the real final boss already go fight her and shoo her away ten minutes later"

I guess there's still a potential third magical girl transformation but the stellaron got handwaved through and taken care of the first time, too.

technically the only time it was taken care of on screen substantially when it was, uh, you

Yeah like Dan Shu being summarily dispatched and we don't even have the option to say our character feels bad for killing her just felt awful. She had all this massive amount of build up, only to be dealt with in about 10 minutes. Like I was really sympathetic to her viewpoint, there was potential for a morally grey conflict here, and it's just wiped out for, what, meaningless spectacle? I mean I appreciate a giant lady who breasts boobily all over the place as much as the next lesbian, but I like some substance too please.

The abrupt cutoff does this no favors either, but I'm just left with an impression it could've been more.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

I was really hyped but I'm also extremely into hotter Dan Heng.

I'm surprised at how much disappointment there is in this thread. I think there will be more but I quite enjoyed the new story this patch.

I just want to know what his loving deal is. There's obviously a ton of stuff that is just lurking under the surface and I'm shaking my monitor like "GIVE ME THE STORY".

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Eimi posted:

On to SR spoiler stuff specifically, part of why this sucks is that Dan Heng isn't even the one who did whatever horrible act Dan Feng did to get himself exiled. (It was giving Blade immortality I'm betting on this.) He has no real connection to this place, to these people, even to who he was beyond the power he wields. It's awful. We haven't even known Dan well enough to gauge his feelings on his exile. Is he okay with it? How does he feel about these powers and having to keep them hidden? We just don't know. And that's the worst part of it, because the ideas have potential, Hua is amazing and I love her, and Dan's just a total miss.

yeah no argument from me. lots of things just happening with no emotional weight behind any of it and then it just stops. it was a hell of an ending to wait three months for and i'm hoping future updates are better.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Genuinely feel like this stuff should have been 1.1

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean the story isn't done yet, one way or the other. Even if this is the end fight for this zone, there's still the actual story wrap up to go. Until we train up and move on, we haven't finished yet.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

blizzardvizard posted:

I'm coming around to the idea of pulling LCs but I'd definitely be very selective about it. Getting extra Energy Regen from an LC to give you a faster Ult rotation for example could be worth it.

Blade's LC doesn't seem like a particularly good investment though since it's tailor-made to him specifically; I think ideally if you're spending pulls on 5* LCs you want to be able to use them effectively between multiple characters of the same class (like Seele's LC for example).

5* cones seem like a better idea than chasing 5* eidolons, but they're both in the "spending pull currency to make characters stronger instead of getting new characters" bucket so only you can decide whether that's something you want to do.

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I just want to know what his loving deal is. There's obviously a ton of stuff that is just lurking under the surface and I'm shaking my monitor like "GIVE ME THE STORY".

Yeah, it was kind of a trip to walk with Jing Yuan down Plot Dump Beach and still not really get any concrete answers for what exactly Cooler Dan's deal is.

Also, am I just spacing out, or did Kafka's Makima-Voice-of-Control thing kind of come out of nowhere? She gets alt-colored "listen" or whatever in her speech commanding a stop to the fighting and all three of Dan, Blade, and Yanqing are bound to obey somehow? Has she ever done that before?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

coldtaxi posted:

Also, am I just spacing out, or did Kafka's Makima-Voice-of-Control thing kind of come out of nowhere? She gets alt-colored "listen" or whatever in her speech commanding a stop to the fighting and all three of Dan, Blade, and Yanqing are bound to obey somehow? Has she ever done that before?

She's mind-controlled people before, heck it's her entire gimmick as a boss fight, but we haven't seen that exact mechanism behind it before, iirc.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Genuinely feel like this stuff should have been 1.1

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

keep in mind 90% of this game was developed during covid so ill forgive them for having to piecemeal out stuff that was probably meant for 1.0

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly not sure what difference there would be if this were 1.1, even assuming they could just magically finish new content faster.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

coldtaxi posted:

Yeah, it was kind of a trip to walk with Jing Yuan down Plot Dump Beach and still not really get any concrete answers for what exactly Cooler Dan's deal is.

Kafka has been mind controlling people since the beginning of the game. On Luofu she mind controls a bunch of Cloud Knights to fight you and her core fight mechanic is mind controlling your dudes.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Clarste posted:

Honestly not sure what difference there would be if this were 1.1, even assuming they could just magically finish new content faster.

more so that it wouldn't have been three months of suspense for a swing and a miss

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nice QoL on the traces too

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf there's also clearly going to be more later given who the banner characters in 1.3 are so i also dunno why people are acting like literally none of this will ever be mentioned again or get any more added to it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Even if Imbibit or Lunae gets elaborated on later, that wouldn't retroactively make the "oh, okay" part of this section better.

Edit: Round 1, Imbibit or Lunae, Let's Rock.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 20, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

it's less that it won't be mentioned again and more than what's presented is shallow and disappointing. that's a fair criticism in the moment because if it's boring now i have less incentive to stick around for the good stuff.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Incidentally, I'm still kinda pissed that they're following their Genshin precedent and turning Chinese stuff into Latin. Like, I can sort of see the logic in terms of "this sounds fancy and old fashioned" but also this is blatantly Space China and everyone has Chinese names I can't pronounce, so can't you just let it remain Chinese-flavored?

coldtaxi
Jan 1, 2009

Kanos posted:

Kafka has been mind controlling people since the beginning of the game. On Luofu she mind controls a bunch of Cloud Knights to fight you and her core fight mechanic is mind controlling your dudes.

I did forget about the cloud knights. I guess I just need the neon magenta puppet strings battle effect to show up in cutscenes too :nyan:

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
so is dan heng going to run alongside dan heng on the dan heng banner

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I just want my Qingque companion quest where all we do is chill and avoid working.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

do all destruction characters have low speed, or is based on character.
since blade starts at 97 speed

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Everyone has their own base speed, but it tends to be similar within the same class.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Detheros posted:

I just want my Qingque companion quest where all we do is chill and avoid working.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

UHD posted:

it's less that it won't be mentioned again and more than what's presented is shallow and disappointing. that's a fair criticism in the moment because if it's boring now i have less incentive to stick around for the good stuff.

This is how I feel about it, too, but this is also how I've felt about the writing for basically every MSQ in this game. I wish they would take some more risks. It feels like a Saturday morning cartoon to me. That's not to say it is bad, just not for me. I'm jealous of anyone enjoying it, because it sucks to not like something.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

As bruisers all the destro chars do have lower speed.

big cummers ONLY posted:

This is how I feel about it, too, but this is also how I've felt about the writing for basically every MSQ in this game. I wish they would take some more risks. It feels like a Saturday morning cartoon to me. That's not to say it is bad, just not for me. I'm jealous of anyone enjoying it, because it sucks to not like something.

It hurts more because while Jarillo wasn't as good as the best of Honkai it was the beginning and it was a HELL of a good beginning. I was there for every moment of that ride. It's just both parts of the Xianzhou arc that don't land. I don't know why when Jarillo was so good, but the contrast definitely makes them feel weaker.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Detheros posted:

or a date

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Qingque is too lazy to date. That cuts into her slacking time.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

for Yanqing, wonder if we be able to unlock his 2nd ultimate in the far future. Sounds like a thing they do in plenty gachas, when they start to add upgrade missions to launch characters to not make them totally obsolete from power creep

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

a qingque date is just more celestial jade

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

doing yukong's companion quest and i'm lol at the "cai" in "Caiyi" being pronounced like acai

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

UHD posted:

a qingque date is just more celestial jade

exactly

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Eimi posted:

It hurts more because while Jarillo wasn't as good as the best of Honkai it was the beginning and it was a HELL of a good beginning. I was there for every moment of that ride. It's just both parts of the Xianzhou arc that don't land. I don't know why when Jarillo was so good, but the contrast definitely makes them feel weaker.

I agree with Xianzhou not landing. Belobog's MSQ didn't land for me, but some of the side stuff did. I was just thinking about it, and I actually liked a lot of the writing on Herta Space Station, and I think it's because the MSQ is just starting AND it's mercifully brief. The rest of that location could really take center stage - weird aliens, SCPs of different flavors, ghosts, fun poo poo. There's a little bit of that here and there in the other zones, but it felt like it had the most room to shine on the Herta ship

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Eimi posted:

As bruisers all the destro chars do have lower speed.

Jarillo is a straightforward story of a world on the brink, and most of the cast is a bunch of heroes trying to keep hope alive. Easy as hell to get invested. Space China is a bunch of mopey immortals fighting amongst themselves, and it's hard to give a poo poo. Like objectively the cult running around forcibly turning people into monsters is pretty bad, but if you just gave them the tree and let them gently caress off would.....anything, anywhere be impacted? No? Then it's hard to care about the stakes. Last minute Antimatter Legion showing up is last minute. Most of the cast in Space China is functionaries. People doing their job. Not even their super important jobs. Their boring jobs. And some of them are cool characters, but it's not the best stakes setter.

I think of it like Liyue in Genshin. It just didn't hit as hard as Mondstadt, it didn't have a coherent story, and it just sort of happened. It's just "Lets go to fantasy China", and we did, and then we moved on. Lets just hope we don't go to space Japan next.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i hate the many branches and roads in space china, really annoying trying to clear mobs when i'm bored.
while the other two spots are all straight paths

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

wow ok that boss is definitely somebodys fetish

and also a difficulty spike

that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gamerofthegame posted:

it wasn't bad but they sure blew their hype boss load on cordelia/wildfire huh

Now I know why Mission impossible had to label their movie part 1