Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Batman was on citv when I watched it, at least until I was about 13 which is the age you should stop watching cartoons and put away childish things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*me watching anime in my 30s* yeah no

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I remember watching Phantom 2040 as a kid, the only superhero I can think of who hasn't reappeared in movies etc as the years passed.

e: Google tells me he belonged to some syndicated publishing house instead of either Marvel or DC which I guess explains it.

kecske fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 20, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Me watching BTAS in my 50s: ha ha get lost

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Huh, no idea how I missed that then if it was on ITV.

I was just wondering coz it seems like a common shared experience for a lot of Goons and I totally missed it. So just assumed it wasn't on council telly

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Time for the Phantom grimdark reboot, and a Defenders of the Earth movie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

I remember watching Phantom 2040 as a kid, the only superhero I can think of who hasn't reappeared in movies etc as the years passed.

e: Google tells me he belonged to some syndicated publishing house instead of either Marvel or DC which I guess explains it.

Wasn't there a lovely Phantom movie with Alec Baldwin? The cartoon was cool tho, such an interesting vibe

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

DC have been publishing a sorta continuation of the series lately and it's been mostly pretty fun. They've split the volumes into "seasons" so it's not too difficult to follow either. Only odd thing is they've incorporated a bunch of more modern concepts and characters which feels a bit at odds sometimes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The aesthetic of Batman Beyond was absolutely fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS1s3T-rnFU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think you mean Batman of the Future :britain:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
more like badman

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Skull Servant posted:

DC have been publishing a sorta continuation of the series lately and it's been mostly pretty fun. They've split the volumes into "seasons" so it's not too difficult to follow either. Only odd thing is they've incorporated a bunch of more modern concepts and characters which feels a bit at odds sometimes.

Does it have the same incredibly cool noir look? Because I think I might get obsessed with the aesthetic style of Batman: The Animated Series now that I've actually seen more than stills for the first time. Coz what the gently caress possessed someone to make a cartoon in the early '90s that feels like it was set in the 1930s? I dunno, but it's cool they did & that it seemed to pay off.

Microplastics posted:

more like badman

No, he was in GTA4

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Does it have the same incredibly cool noir look? Because I think I might get obsessed with the aesthetic style of Batman: The Animated Series now that I've actually seen more than stills for the first time. Coz what the gently caress possessed someone to make a cartoon in the early '90s that feels like it was set in the 1930s? I dunno, but it's cool they did & that it seemed to pay off.

No, he was in GTA4

The first two volumes have a pretty similar aesthetic. I felt as if it could be pushed a little more but I was content with it.

Unfortunately they seem to have made a shift in art direction for Season 3 (currently ongoing). Not as big of a fan of this and I'd probably drop the comic if I wasn't personally interested in it.

The comic also has the advantage of having Paul Dini involved in it. I don't think he does much except guide the broad strokes but it makes it feel a little more like an actual continuation.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

kecske posted:

He lives on in spirit in The Venture Bros as Phantom Limb.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

That’s just how Bruce Timm draws everything

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Microplastics posted:

more like badman

Ski-bi dibby dib yo dabad dub

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"Commissioner Galloway, we have the ransom demands from the Joker!"
"Meow"

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Time for the Phantom grimdark reboot, and a Defenders of the Earth movie.

>> Defendersss >>

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wasn't there a lovely Phantom movie with Alec Baldwin? The cartoon was cool tho, such an interesting vibe

Billy Zane.

And Catherine Zeta Jones and Kristy Swanson.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

forkboy84 posted:

Huh, no idea how I missed that then if it was on ITV.

I was just wondering coz it seems like a common shared experience for a lot of Goons and I totally missed it. So just assumed it wasn't on council telly

I was born in '84 and remember seeing it a few times on ITV- maybe aged 9 to 11 or so?- I remember my da catching a bit of one with me once and commenting that it was well put together

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Alec Baldwin was The Shadow

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The other BTAS thought I had is Batman sounds uncannily like noted racist Hulk Hogan

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chubby Henparty posted:

Alec Baldwin was The Shadow

I believe that is a secret which lurks within the hearts of men.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Renfield posted:

I thought the Tripple-Lock meant that pensions go up by the same as Average Earnings, Inflation or 3% - whichever is higher ?

So when inflation was low, pensions went up in real terms, and now they keep track with inflation
'Inflation' in the triple lock sense is tracked against weird metrics that don't take into account the rising cost of bills and food, so pensions are definitely not going to be worth enough to live on in the future - definitely not worth as much as retirees get now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Holy lol. This is one of the dumbest things I’ve read in a long time, and I read a lot of incredibly dumb poo poo

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/23664919.cook-costas-can-get-sun-southwold/

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

The other BTAS thought I had is Batman sounds uncannily like noted racist Hulk Hogan

Batman in the animated series is played by the beloved (and sadly now deceased) Kevin Conroy, who popularised the idea of Batman and Bruce Wayne using different tones of voice. He and Mark Hamill reprised their roles as Batman and the Joker for the Arkham video game series.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kevin Conroy is the Batman voice I hear in my head whenever I read a Batman thing, it’s just as iconic as Hamill’s Joker.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And sadly for those who love Adam West's Batman I mostly only know him from his brief appearances on Family Guy, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJMl5AXTKLk

(For those unsure, Adam West plays a fictional insane version of himself as the mayor of the town.)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

ahahah, remember how I was complaining BBC news puts pretty women next to every horrible or unrelated story to get you to click

well of course that's targeted at me because i must click on stories with women in the pic more often. i noticed the current news story photo was different for a split second and then went into private browsing and sure enough, on the cookieless version there's a man in the photo of this story about supermarket prices. in my version there's some woman.

gently caress the internet man.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It knows you better than you know yourself.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Posting here because this thread is always full of useful knowledge. Does anyone have experience or opinions on external wall insulation? We are mid terrace with solid walls. I’m not keen on going the internal route due to loss of space and needing to move sockets/radiators.

Not sure if it’s worth the cost in terms of savings on heating bills, but is there an intangible comfort factor? Are there any issues with damp etc that could be introduced?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Batman in the animated series is played by the beloved (and sadly now deceased) Kevin Conroy, who popularised the idea of Batman and Bruce Wayne using different tones of voice. He and Mark Hamill reprised their roles as Batman and the Joker for the Arkham video game series.

On another comic related note, Conroy had his own comic in DCs Pride anthology in 2022 about his struggles as a gay voice actor in the 90s. I'm not sure if it was published after his passing but I did read it after and it did make me emotional as a gay person who grew up loving the series. You can find it online and it is well worth a read.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Sounds like a you problem roomtone you big PERV!!!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Skull Servant posted:

On another comic related note, Conroy had his own comic in DCs Pride anthology in 2022 about his struggles as a gay voice actor in the 90s. I'm not sure if it was published after his passing but I did read it after and it did make me emotional as a gay person who grew up loving the series. You can find it online and it is well worth a read.

Seconding this for anyone who thinks it sounds even vaguely interesting. It's very good. It's called "Finding Batman".

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Jakabite posted:

Sounds like a you problem roomtone you big PERV!!!

the thing is, just to give an example of how this kind of thing can warp you, in particular i noticed lately that every story i'd see about university stuff, which i'm generally interested in anyway, would have a picture of a female student in it. so that i would be more likely to click on the story,. but then i had the thought 'man, people really assume students are female these days. that tracks with what i've read about a lack of attainment in young men. bad situation'

but in reality it was nothing to do with that. it's cos bbc noticed that i'll probably investigate attractive women online. i made up a whole thing in my head. i've also thought it seems like there are very many female top CEOs etc, but maybe that's all being totally filtered just to show me them and i'm completely offbase.

this isn't even new information to me, i've always known websites do this, but you forget and then it has all these intended and unintended effects anyway. how wrong is what i think about the overall tone of the world? this is just gender, it's going to be in everything.

all just to get me to CLICK

roomtone fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 20, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The top story on BBC news about shopping is a woman for me on normal browser or incognito. I wouldn't say she was particularly attractive or a model or whatever, just a normal lady perusing

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

There's an Onion or similar article which I can't find thats 'News editors rejoice that its the time of year to print pictures of girls in summer dresses getting their exam results'

The title is right in front of me but its getting mixed up with Father Ted's 'lovelry girls' and Black Books' Summertime Girlfriend

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

roomtone posted:

the thing is, just to give an example of how this kind of thing can warp you, in particular i noticed lately that every story i'd see about university stuff, which i'm generally interested in anyway, would have a picture of a female student in it. so that i would be more likely to click on the story,. but then i had the thought 'man, people really assume students are female these days. that tracks with what i've read about a lack of attainment in young men. bad situation'

but in reality it was nothing to do with that. it's cos bbc noticed that i'll probably investigate attractive women online. i made up a whole thing in my head. i've also thought it seems like there are very many female top CEOs etc, but maybe that's all being totally filtered just to show me them and i'm completely offbase.

this isn't even new information to me, i've always known websites do this, but you forget and then it has all these intended and unintended effects anyway. how wrong is what i think about the overall tone of the world? this is just gender, it's going to be in everything.

Netflix does this to crazy levels. The one that springs to mind is a show called Biohackers. On Mrs Radcliffe's profile the thumbnail was an ominous green with a biohazard symbol and the protagonist looking fearful. On mine it was a topless blonde covering her boobs with her arms - from a scene that lasts about 3 seconds and is the only thing close to being sexually explicit in the entire show.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Posting here because this thread is always full of useful knowledge. Does anyone have experience or opinions on external wall insulation? We are mid terrace with solid walls. I’m not keen on going the internal route due to loss of space and needing to move sockets/radiators.

Not sure if it’s worth the cost in terms of savings on heating bills, but is there an intangible comfort factor? Are there any issues with damp etc that could be introduced?
I've looked into it some, and external monocouche render comes off looking a lot better for what you get than the 10cm thick external fake foam filled walls that are used to pad out terraced houses.

roomtone posted:

I wonder if there's a similar thing going on with the weirdos who think that all British adverts are 100% Black people. They end up in a filter bubble of their own making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chubby Henparty posted:

There's an Onion or similar article which I can't find thats 'News editors rejoice that its the time of year to print pictures of girls in summer dresses getting their exam results'

The title is right in front of me but its getting mixed up with Father Ted's 'lovelry girls' and Black Books' Summertime Girlfriend

I think that was in Private Eye.
I remember they did one over how the 'high brow' tabloids love to publish YOUNG POSH TOTTY jumping up and down holding a piece of paper.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 20, 2023