Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Chasiubao posted:

Skimmed the past couple of pages and I think I’m in the right thread.

I moved into a place that had a bunch of smart light stuff (Philips Hue mostly), and I recently found out I could connect that to Home on my iPhone and iPad. The bulbs are so fuckin’ expensive I thought I’d try a cheap Chinese brand from Amazon that had Matter support, mostly because I really don’t want yet another app so being able to connect directly to Home without an app and a bridge was super appealing.

Two bulbs in a ceiling fixture and then telling Siri (after grouping the two bulbs into one “accessory” in Home) to change the color to whatever, always resulted in only one bulb changing. Then I’d try changing to a new color and the first bulb would change to the newest color, while the one that was stuck would change to the previous, almost like it was one command behind.

The company’s official app works just fine so I assume it’s a Home issue, so just curious if this is a thing that anyone’s heard of?

I get enough time with computers in my day job and I really don’t want to run my own Home Assistant setup, so if that’s the solution I’ll just return the lights. In which case are the IKEA smart lights any good?

Wait, I don't think you mentioned your use case, is there a reason you are using smart bulbs instead of smart switches? You should never use smart bulbs if you can use smart switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Wait, I don't think you mentioned your use case, is there a reason you are using smart bulbs instead of smart switches? You should never use smart bulbs if you can use smart switches.

Smart bulbs are cool

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Smart bulbs are cool if you don't want to replace switches or for floor lamps. Like my apartment has wave switches but I don't have the lutron leave hub so I'll never be able to update them, hopefully no hacker turns off my lights

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sooner or later someone will flip the wall switch and then you get to figure out why your light isn't responding to smart control

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

haveblue posted:

Sooner or later someone will flip the wall switch and then you get to figure out why your light isn't responding to smart control

Do you have random people walking in and turning off switches

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Celexi posted:

If you go several years with only you in your apartment you need to work on your social and family life

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

haveblue posted:

If you go several years with only you in your apartment you need to work on your social and family life

I've never had family or guests go around play with light switches but that's just me

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Three Olives posted:

I wanted to change the colors in my home office because I’m a giant child :ohdear:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

HomeKit works fine for me, I might be basic though

I had both the ikea, hue and aqara and ended up selling all of them as I came to dislike all the hubs and poo poo.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Celexi posted:

Smart bulbs are not wife/kid approved.

I have Hue BR30s in my kitchen and I got sick of everyone turning the switch off, so I just wired load to line with a wire nut and installed the Hue dimmers over the jbox. Problem solved, and you can have wacky multi-colored sex lights in your kitchen.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

kri kri posted:

HomeKit works fine for me, I might be basic though

I had both the ikea, hue and aqara and ended up selling all of them as I came to dislike all the hubs and poo poo.

Yeah it’s been mostly fine but these bulbs were a fuckin nightmare. HomeKit handled on and off just fine but color changes just poo poo the bed. Oh well, Amazon didn’t give me any grief over it and I’m putting my plans on hold for a bit while I watch prices and see what else might come out :unsmith:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Colour temp

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

John Romero posted:

anyone know of any easy to follow guides to make a prettier home assistant dashboard

I too would like this knowledge.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

John Romero posted:

anyone know of any easy to follow guides to make a prettier home assistant dashboard

toplitzin posted:

I too would like this knowledge.

:same:

I see people post things on reddit that look absolutely stunning. Then I go back to my basic-rear end setup and cry.

I was just trying last night to put a clock card on a screen, because I want to have a display in my garage that shows time, weather, and a few other things. It seemed incredibly difficult to put up anything that didn't look like absolute dogshit... certainly nothing built in to HA that I could find, and there were only like 3 "clock" options in HACS, and none of them looked very good. Plus my HACS is broken and I can't seem to fix it for whatever reason right now.

Seems to me that it takes an absolute ton of effort to make good looking UIs. I've never put much time in to it, but that's partially because when I do attempt it I usually run in to stupid roadblocks that turn me off from it.

Separate subject: is it desirable to run HAOS these days? I have HA on a laptop running Debian 12 right now. I did this thinking that one day I might use the laptop to run other stuff, but never did. Thought I might run BlueIris, but I got a Unifi setup instead. Thinking about just wiping it and reinstalling the HAOS version, just don't want to have to go through the effort of setting everything back up.

Another question: Where do y'all get your ESP32 and ESP8266 chips at? Sparkfun has them. Otherwise I see a lot of... other sites that have them, and I'm not really confident in the quality. A bunch on Amazon, but it's Amazon so I dunno.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 20, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Seems to me that it takes an absolute ton of effort to make good looking UIs. I've never put much time in to it, but that's partially because when I do attempt it I usually run in to stupid roadblocks that turn me off from it.

I don't remember what it was called, but I used to use a separate project for this before HA had its own dashboards. It had it's own look and feel, a bit less "cloud service dashboard" and if you liked that kind of thing and could choose some decent complementary colors you could make a nice looking dashboard in no time.

So yeah, without a ton of effort (read: directly fighting the styling of the built in dashboard system) I don't think it's going to work out well. Hassio needs to make their system better. Maybe skinnable. Or just make the default better looking.

DaveSauce posted:

Separate subject: is it desirable to run HAOS these days? I have HA on a laptop running Debian 12 right now. I did this thinking that one day I might use the laptop to run other stuff, but never did. Thought I might run BlueIris, but I got a Unifi setup instead. Thinking about just wiping it and reinstalling the HAOS version, just don't want to have to go through the effort of setting everything back up.

I've been running HAOS in an ESXi VM for years now. It works great, the plug ins work great. Super easy to set up and update. It's worth running.

You shouldn't have to set much of anything back up: the backup and restore system works and works really well. It's always nice to see a project that paid enough attention to something infrequently relied upon but critical like that.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Yeah it’s been mostly fine but these bulbs were a fuckin nightmare. HomeKit handled on and off just fine but color changes just poo poo the bed. Oh well, Amazon didn’t give me any grief over it and I’m putting my plans on hold for a bit while I watch prices and see what else might come out :unsmith:

I just bought a pack of 3 Hue Color + White bulbs from Amazon a few days ago for $75. Looks like that set is back up to $135 now.

Maybe set up a camelcamelcamel alert?

Edit:
I finally got tired of all the different apps and just got Home Assistant running. Since I'd like to upgrade from a bunch of WiFi stuff, I set it up with the Sonoff Zigbee dongle. Renaming all the additional entities that the Hue lights make proved to be a little annoying with ZHA.

They come in named "Signify Netherlands B.V. LCA005", where the Entity ID becomes "<>.signify_netherlands_bv_lca005". I tried renaming them later from the device screen, and it didn't rename all of the other Entity IDs even though I clicked yes on the prompt, so I had light.livingroom_floor_lamp, but then sensor.signify_netherlands_bv_lca005_01, switch.signify_netherlands_bv_lca005_01, etc. Then having two more bulbs with _02 and _03 suffixes made everything super confusing.

After trying a bunch of things, I thought to set the name to "signify netherlands bv lca005" on the pairing screen, basically the default Entity ID with the underscores replaced with spaces. This finally worked and let me rename all of the entities automatically through the prompt. There must be a weird issue with translation of periods in B.V. from the Name field to the Entity ID?

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 20, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I wasn't sure of the best place for this, but figured people here might have come across the problem.

I want to keep a tablet in my garage. I've seen it range between -1°C to +30°C, it's been humid enough at times that some wood got surface mould. There's dust and spiders. I intend to use the tablet for workout tracking, since that's what I do in there mainly.

Is it going to be possible for me to get a cheap Android tablet that lives in that environment and doesn't succumb to those environmental changes? Is it possible to mitigate against that with the likes of a case, or is that a stupid idea? I'd want it to live in there because it'd also be used as a music controller and maybe some other things.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I wasn't sure of the best place for this, but figured people here might have come across the problem.

I want to keep a tablet in my garage. I've seen it range between -1°C to +30°C, it's been humid enough at times that some wood got surface mould. There's dust and spiders. I intend to use the tablet for workout tracking, since that's what I do in there mainly.

Is it going to be possible for me to get a cheap Android tablet that lives in that environment and doesn't succumb to those environmental changes? Is it possible to mitigate against that with the likes of a case, or is that a stupid idea? I'd want it to live in there because it'd also be used as a music controller and maybe some other things.

I responded to a very similar question this week about a display/monitor in a similar environment. I'll tell you the same: you're overthinking it.

The tablet that goes with my rally gear lives in a cabinet in my unconditioned barn in eastern PA. -9C to 38C temp swings annually, with high humidity all summer. Both the cheapest at the time 30 inch display that has been out here for 3 years (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZNXWGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and android tablet going into year 2 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WV9SSYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) are 100% fine. These things just aren't that sensitive.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Tried Blue Iris first in a vm, but my esxi server doesn't have quicksync. Swapped it to a i7-8700 machine and quicksync seems to be working, but now AI stuff can cause 100% cpu and miss or throw an error. I ordered a quadro p1000 from ebay, hope that helps out because I'd like to put it back on the esxi server.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Motronic posted:

I'll tell you the same: you're overthinking it.

I'd say I know gently caress all, but if the shoe fits...

That's great to know though, thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

phosdex posted:

Tried Blue Iris first in a vm, but my esxi server doesn't have quicksync. Swapped it to a i7-8700 machine and quicksync seems to be working, but now AI stuff can cause 100% cpu and miss or throw an error. I ordered a quadro p1000 from ebay, hope that helps out because I'd like to put it back on the esxi server.

AI stuff should not be hitting your CPU if you're trying to ollfload it to quicksync (I think that's a thing....I've only tried nvidia). But like.....how mahy camera at what resolution? Because I'm running 5 4k cameras at at least 15 FPS (I forget exactly) and deepstack. With the right settings this works 100% perfectly fine on my ESX server WITHOUT GPU acceleration. I started out using it, then decided to try it CPU only - and it just works. That GPU is now passed through to my plex server.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Re: smart bulb chat

If anyone is looking for decent smart bulbs, I've been impressed with Wiz wifi bulbs.

They are ESP based, but using their own platform. Not the awful Tuya platform like so many cheap smart bulbs use.

No hub needed. The app is nice and works well. The bulbs have a documented local control API. They are natively supported by Home Assistant using that same local control API. Wiz contributed to Home Assistant support, so unlikely to ever have issues working in HA.

I think they can be flashed to one of the generic ESP firmwares, but really there is no need. The factory software works well.

They also have a cheap remote control that controls the bulbs directly using ESP-NOW if you want physical controls.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Most reputable brands are testing their products to withstand an ocean journey in a shipping container getting blasted by the sun for 2 months straight so any fanless device is likely to be just fine!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

AI stuff should not be hitting your CPU if you're trying to ollfload it to quicksync (I think that's a thing....I've only tried nvidia). But like.....how mahy camera at what resolution? Because I'm running 5 4k cameras at at least 15 FPS (I forget exactly) and deepstack. With the right settings this works 100% perfectly fine on my ESX server WITHOUT GPU acceleration. I started out using it, then decided to try it CPU only - and it just works. That GPU is now passed through to my plex server.

I'm using the Codeproject ai, I think it only uses cpu unless you have an nvidia card. Testing with 3 8mp 4k cams, but I've got another 6 2k. When I had it as a vm, everything was ok until I tried using AI.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

phosdex posted:

I'm using the Codeproject ai, I think it only uses cpu unless you have an nvidia card. Testing with 3 8mp 4k cams, but I've got another 6 2k. When I had it as a vm, everything was ok until I tried using AI.

Yeah, then what I'm doing is not going to be comparable - totally different AI plugin.

I will be interested in your results/general happiness with it though. Deepstack has been just fine - it made the "clips" functionality actually useful now that I'm using it to confirm alerts of cars and people. It's certainly not perfect, but it's plenty good enough for me.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I want to put a 4-5 POE camera system in my house. It's a smallish split entry ranch with a front and back door. I'm fine with running wires and such.

Reolink seems to be okay and people here seem to not hate them.

These two have my attention:

They seem to be the same, except one has the longer camera style while the other has the smaller "bullet" style. Are there any benefits between the two styles? Is there anything else I should consider?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Harveygod posted:

I want to put a 4-5 POE camera system in my house. It's a smallish split entry ranch with a front and back door. I'm fine with running wires and such.

Reolink seems to be okay and people here seem to not hate them.

These two have my attention:

They seem to be the same, except one has the longer camera style while the other has the smaller "bullet" style. Are there any benefits between the two styles? Is there anything else I should consider?

Not sure what the diff is between those really beyond how you can mount them. That seems to be the trickiest thing I've found when setting mine up. Those turret style can be deceiving though in you might think it gives you a lot of freedom to pan them vertically, but they likely have physical stops limiting the motion.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The only real concern at those temp ranges is the battery.

The heat won’t be a problem. At full CPU load and charging the battery will get significantly hotter than whatever your garage is physically capable of getting, so heat is moot.

For cold, your only issue is going to be the battery failing to maintain consistent enough voltage to keep the device powered on. But this is only an issue when the battery % is low, and for something that lives in a garage I assume it’ll be perma-powered by a wall outlet anyway, so that’s also moot.

All the other components are designed to withstand heat and cold significant outside of the ranges almost any indoor space will create.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Three Olives posted:

I love my Hue bulbs. We use the temp change and scene features a lot.

If you can't yell "spooky time" to set a sweet ambiance for watching horror movies you're not living

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Switches can’t turn off my lights when I’m not home

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kri kri posted:

https://www.amazon.com/SwitchBot-switch-button-controlled-compatible/dp/B07B7NXV4R

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Having tiny robot arms pushing buttons around my house creeps me out a bit

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

kri kri posted:

Yes they can, that is why they are called smart switches. I admit having a couple of Hue bulbs in my ceiling fans, our house is old and only has two wires to the fan, so I put remotes in to control the fan and then the lights are Hue, but I got the little dimmer that attaches to the switch.

I guess this is an acceptable solution if you wanted to skip smart switches, I just think from a usability standpoint your lights need to be able to be controlled by a recognizable switch on the wall.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a combination of lutron for bulbs and inovelli/hue bulbs everywhere else and enjoy all the smart stuff. I love the inovelli stuff so much

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Inovelli's Dimmer/Fan relay combo switches are nearly 3x the price of Zooz, and after setting up two of these Zooz switches...

...I think the Inovellis are worth the cost. The Zooz stuff has so many quirks, I've had to RMA a switch for firmware bugs, and there is just something lacking in the tactile feel of all my Zooz switches, where my Inovellis (and GE add-on switches, though I will admit sometimes they don't activate if you push them in the wrong spot, despite the solid well-defined click) feel solid and consistent when you press them.
I have have issues pairing/resetting the Inovellis or configuring them, or finding out entities or features aren't available in home assistant. I can't say Zooz has been that stable. The have faster (nearly instant) response times, where occasionally the Zooz will hang for a second or two or occasionally 5-10 secs

Like it is very obvious that the Inovellis are really much better than the competition . I'm pretty sure that's why their prices have been sticky or gone up despite all the competitors being much cheaper - they are just worth the cost

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I had 3 zooz switches fail on me too, before just saying gently caress it and going with the inovelli.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I documented installing a Ring "wired" doorbell (wired power, still on wifi) over here if it's of help to anyone:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824923&pagenumber=98#post533389169

tldr; I hate that there wasn't a better option than one of these lovely cloud devices, but so far it at least seems functional.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 23, 2023

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Am I missing something or can I not share a Home Key? I though I could through Wallet but I guess not. I’d like my mom have access to my house but I didn’t want to add her to the Home app

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Received a letter from my water company saying they had upgraded their meters to cellular and now near real-time usage can be viewed with an app called EyesOnWater.

Apparently this is a service provided by the manufacturer of the water meter and it is offered to utility companies for customer use. It has a documented and publicly available API. An API for which someone has already developed a custom integration for Home Assistant: https://github.com/kdeyev/eyeonwater

Was able to successfully add my water usage into Home Assistant. Looks like it updates about every 3-4 hours, so usage graphs can look a little wonky, but it works!

If you have a water meter with Badger Meter/Orion branding on it, check it out... Your water company might participate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Am I missing something or can I not share a Home Key? I though I could through Wallet but I guess not. I’d like my mom have access to my house but I didn’t want to add her to the Home app

Pretty sure you have to invite her to your home via Home app. I do this with my parents when they visit. It’s annoying they get all the notifications from the garage doors and poo poo by default, but whatever.

With my lock you can set up a guest code in Home. Does yours support that? Obviously not as slick as holding your phone to the door, but a guest number would be just as quick.