Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nothus posted:

despite the fact that because flying is more miserable than ever and the pilot shortage is so dire that they're both trying to force retired pilots back to work and cutting training requirements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

someone probably just bought a new car cause they managed to convince an investor that ChatGPT could fly a plane

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

When they do decide to run full autopilot, you're not gonna get a choice, so hopefully air travel dies for other reasons soon

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

FlapYoJacks posted:

Just cut your insane parents out of your life; then you won’t care when things like this happen! Bing bong so simple.
the thing here is, i love my parents. a lot of people have this problem.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

DancingShade posted:

The consequence of people having kids later and later is new adults that haven't even reached middle age yet themselves having to confront end of life care scenarios for their parents.

Add to that the very real prospect of "work until you're dead" for most people anyway and you have kids who can't financially support ailing parents nor even afford having kids of their own.

There will be no motivation or momentum for change to address any of this until its a problem for the majority so the initial people learning this firsthand will unfortunately be more or less on their own. Fun times.

edit - of course with the fact young people will likely be unable to financially support themselves leaving home in the future maybe we'll return to seeing 3 generations in one household.

Imagine being an only child and dealing with this and thinking about it constantly. Thankfully my parents lucked out in their retirement and now I or they don’t have to worry about them. They don’t have to stress about anything anymore.

Now if only we could be so lucky with my in-laws. Thankfully they don’t have to worry about healthcare but their taxes and home are a major issue and it all falls on my wife who is the oldest since her two sisters are a mess. My SILs are not prepared for what’s coming when my in-laws go.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/Barchart/status/1681835247208476672?s=20

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Glumwheels posted:

Imagine being an only child and dealing with this and thinking about it constantly. Thankfully my parents lucked out in their retirement and now I or they don’t have to worry about them. They don’t have to stress about anything anymore.

Now if only we could be so lucky with my in-laws. Thankfully they don’t have to worry about healthcare but their taxes and home are a major issue and it all falls on my wife who is the oldest since her two sisters are a mess. My SILs are not prepared for what’s coming when my in-laws go.

Hey, at least you don't also have a disabled sibling to worry about too :razz:

One of my parents passed away a couple of years ago and then the other had a major health crisis the next year I had to help nurse them through.

It was stressful but I was glad we were close by to help. Anyway this year they moved two states away and I've decided to wash my hands of taking care of them.

My guess is that with homes being totally unaffordable and aging in place care being insanely expensive, we're going to see the return to norm of intergenerational living.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
End of life care is crazy expensive in relative terms for a working class individual. It will be inter-generational living or else people dying in the streets / woods like we've reverted to pre Victorian era London.

In fact forget caring for relatives. I can see our society reverting back to flophouses for the working poor. Where you slave away all day just to get a nightly bunk in the poor house.

There will still be mansions of course. Nobody will see what the insides of those look like except the help.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Skill issue
TSMC delays U.S. chip plant start to 2025 due to labor shortages

asia.nikkei.com posted:

TAIPEI -- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. said it will push back the start of mass production at its plant in Arizona to 2025 due to a shortage of skilled workers and technicians needed to move equipment into the facility.
TSMC Chairman Mark Liu said the world's biggest contract chipmaker is entering a critical phase of handling and installing some of the "most advanced equipment" at the plant, its advanced first chip facility in the U.S. in more than 20 years. Mass production was previously slated to begin late next year.

"We are encountering certain challenges, as there is an insufficient amount of skilled workers with the specialized expertise required for equipment installation in a semiconductor-grade facility," Liu said. He added that TSMC is sending experienced technicians from Taiwan to make up for delays and the lack of trained local workers, confirming a Nikkei Asia report last month.
Construction of the Arizona plant began in mid-2021.
"We expect the production schedule of N4 process technology to be pushed out to 2025," the chairman said, referring to 4-nanometer chipmaking technology.

TSMC, which serves global chip developers including Apple, Qualcomm and Nvidia, is seen as a barometer of the wider tech industry. On Thursday, the company again revised its full-year outlook downward, citing a slow recovery in China and prolonged macroeconomic uncertainties. It now expects a 10% decline in revenue from 2022. In April, it trimmed its annual revenue target from mild growth to a "low-to-mid single digit percent" decline.

The chipmaker also reported its first drop in quarterly net profit since 2019 on Thursday amid a slump in the consumer electronics market.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

in clown world, you build a semiconductor factory, noted industrial process contingent on large supplies of water, in the loving desert

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i wonder what the lack of these types of workers looks like or if intel just threatened the ones that can do it to say they are busy

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1682010215577952261?s=20

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
gues im moving to germany then

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

mawarannahr posted:

When they do decide to run full autopilot, you're not gonna get a choice, so hopefully air travel dies for other reasons soon

I thought new commercial airliners CAN fly themselves, and usually do for 90% of the average flight.

DancingShade posted:

End of life care is crazy expensive in relative terms for a working class individual. It will be inter-generational living or else people dying in the streets / woods like we've reverted to pre Victorian era London.

In fact forget caring for relatives. I can see our society reverting back to flophouses for the working poor. Where you slave away all day just to get a nightly bunk in the poor house.

There will still be mansions of course. Nobody will see what the insides of those look like except the help.

My mother and I had that conversation last weekend. She said if she gets sick she's just going to suck a shotgun. I countered by saying there are inexpensive home respite services to ease her into death without traumatizing us and reducing my youngest brother's home value (we all agreed he will inherit her house when she's gone). But she's very adamant about not liquidating her Ira/pension/401k to extend her life a few months.

Thankfully it hasn't come to that, but people would rather die violently than enter the elder care industry. I mean they'd rather die with dignity and comfort, but that's financially out of reach.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 14:55 on Jul 20, 2023

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I remain incredibly thankful my parents continue on track to be the kind who stay healthy into their 90s and die together one day doing skydiving or similar.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Geez. Just have kids when you're 20 so you're still young enough to play with them as they grow up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

StealthArcher posted:

I remain incredibly thankful my parents continue on track to be the kind who stay healthy into their 90s and die together one day doing skydiving or similar.

I liked Second Hand Lions. Go out laughing with joy as you crash your plane into a barn on your first flight.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

This is dumb

Get an ARM, then you get the rate drops for free without refinancing. Bing bong so simple.

No actually, I was in a coma from 2006-2013, why, what happened?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

trevorreznik posted:

This is the only quote I found interesting:
Homogamy—marriage within the same socioeconomic class—has soared to levels not seen since the pre−World War I Edwardian era.

If this is true, and based on parent's wealth (because there's no way it can be based on spousal earnings when women weren't in the out of the house workforce), I wonder what's making this happen. Social media/dating apps is too easy of an answer, but I'm grimly wondering if we're actually in the Gattaca world where every partner is looking each other up online.

Marriage Markets is a good book on this

Basically people meet at work or university, and both of those are obviously classed

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Frosted Flake posted:

Marriage Markets is a good book on this

Basically people meet at work or university, and both of those are obviously classed

Where were they meeting before that wasn't as classed? Certainly not via friends, family, church.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

This is dumb

Get an ARM, then you get the rate drops for free without refinancing. Bing bong so simple.

No actually, I was in a coma from 2006-2013, why, what happened?

Realtors are selling the refi gamble hard and nobody really has a choice, it's just cope you tell yourself to not feel so bad about getting bent over while your friends brag about their 2% locked-in mortgages

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

trevorreznik posted:

Where were they meeting before that wasn't as classed? Certainly not via friends, family, church.

It may have something to do with women not being allowed to have checking accounts, get driver's licenses, or be employed as anything but servants to man's ego. I mean women were second class no matter where they were born so cross class marriages were the norm.

Nothus posted:

Realtors are selling the refi gamble hard and nobody really has a choice, it's just cope you tell yourself to not feel so bad about getting bent over while your friends brag about their 2% locked-in mortgages

I'm in a weird position. Two of the houses I'm looking at are offering 2/1 buy downs, meaning reduced interest for the first two years. The plan is to refinance before the rate goes back to contract, which depends on the prime rate falling again reasonably soon. Thankfully I can afford it if I don't manage to refi, but it would be preferable if I could.

I'll never accept a variable rate mortgage. That's just dumb.

anonumos has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Jul 20, 2023

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Raccooon posted:

How does Boston dynamics make money? I feel like I have been seeing their stupid dog robot for 15 years. They appear to have zero practical commercial applications so far.

::wrong::

we had boston dynamics out last summer demoing the dog for us.

they made a whole platform out of it. BD makes plug-and-play modules and they have an SDK so you can make your own. it legit uses a DB-25 serial connector for the modules.

as for uses, imagine an environmental sensors package and an arm to open doors or close valves combined with an environment hazardous to humans (industrial accident type poo poo).

it actually feels inhumane to kick the thing, but they let us do it to show how self-stabilizing it was. at one point a group of us boxed it in to test its obstacle avoidance. it freaked out and started bouncing its feet and glitching out in kind of a dance. the rep made us stop lmao

also rich people use them as guard dogs, BD told me they refuse to make it into a weapon so it will only report back on an intruder not attack them.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Narrator: they became weapons.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Narrator: they became weapons.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I thought they were conceived of as a weapon

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Car Hater posted:

I thought they were conceived of as a weapon

they were conceived as a kinematics research project going way back into the 90's and is the classic example of a "solution looking for a problem"

bigdog was marketed towards the military as a packmule for a minute but never went anywhere, they just made it smaller and powered off batteries instead of a weedwhacker engine or whatever but the inherent problem remains that nobody really is in the market for a quadruped thing that can go look at gauges (as opposed to spending way less on networked sensors)

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 15:39 on Jul 20, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

reddit is certainly an R place iykwim

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
r guy...

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Burn Zone posted:

::wrong::

we had boston dynamics out last summer demoing the dog for us.

they made a whole platform out of it. BD makes plug-and-play modules and they have an SDK so you can make your own. it legit uses a DB-25 serial connector for the modules.

as for uses, imagine an environmental sensors package and an arm to open doors or close valves combined with an environment hazardous to humans (industrial accident type poo poo).

it actually feels inhumane to kick the thing, but they let us do it to show how self-stabilizing it was. at one point a group of us boxed it in to test its obstacle avoidance. it freaked out and started bouncing its feet and glitching out in kind of a dance. the rep made us stop lmao

also rich people use them as guard dogs, BD told me they refuse to make it into a weapon so it will only report back on an intruder not attack them.

yep. locomotion and maintaining stability is paradigmatic of intelligence. unlike the machine learning chatbot garbage, the bd dogs are probably the closest thing to something that could be considered artificial intelligence.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Geez. Just have kids when you're 20 so you're still young enough to play with them as they grow up.

I saw a clip of Nate Bargetze talking about watching Teen Mom and thinking those girls have life figured out, and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I'm pretty much rooting for my kids to have teen pregnancies so I can enjoy time with my grandkids before I'm 80.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

can’t wait to carry around mini EMPs to disable all the feral rich people robot guard dogs, one cool futuristic thing to look forward to at least

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

still really loving how 90% of the job listings on linkedin are six month old reposts or third party recruiters

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/business/status/1682011251038208005

disney getting desperate. maybe we can pool our resources and buy an IP.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DancingShade posted:

I've always wondered what motivated people to spend multiple thousands per year on an overseas holiday to [insert destination here], every year. Like I get you want to have fun but can you not "have fun" on a slightly more modest budget ideally closer to home?

I don't think I have much of an adventurer heart. Or maybe I just see better and more efficient uses for the currency with regards to fun return.

Nothing says "adventure" like flying to a tourist trap where you don't even need to pretend to stumble over the local language to ask for a bathroom.

Just like Magellan.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
I for one would never get a loving variable rate mortgage. Haven't you simpletons seen Mood House?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzj1svYNcyo&t=149s

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

still really loving how 90% of the job listings on linkedin are six month old reposts or third party recruiters

i found a sub forum last night that made me think of you https://www.reddit.com/r/recruitinghell/

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
cluck you!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

RadiRoot posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1682011251038208005

disney getting desperate. maybe we can pool our resources and buy an IP.

GOON PROJECT: Toward a Protracted Very Goofy Peoples’ War in the Florida Everglades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we are not a dying in the streets levels yet in most cases in the USA

Medicaid will still get you a room somewhere to die