Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Draft Kelce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

ranbo das posted:

Do you have a third round reversal? If so I might consider doing something like AR 1.11, AJB or GW 2.02 and Murray 3.02. Basically punt a season for the potential to be a beast

We are doing 3rd round reversal. If those were my first 3 picks that's probably getting the best value for my picks, but I just don't like AR or Murray at all. I would rather draft Watson (don't like him either) or Prescott (meh). If I really want to punt a season I could see what I could get for 1.11. Maybe a 2024 1st and a mid round startup pick. But I'm probably better off just using the pick on someone like Bijan or Lamb. I could always trade a guy like Bijan later on for a haul and stock up on future picks if I feel that my team isn't good enough to compete in the near future.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Hi fantasy football thread, I do not follow the NFL at all (college guy) but I’m tired of being the only person in my social circle who doesn’t play fantasy football so I’m diving in this year. I see a bunch of resources in the OP, I will take a look at those but wanted to ask:

What is one (or two, or whatever) piece of advice you’d give a total neophyte for their first draft? Thanks in advance.

1. Draft for upside and ignore downside.

2. Drafting small wins doesn't matter.

There are never more then 5-10 true difference making players in a given season, so finding guys with that kind of upside is all that counts. Building a mediocre team out of ADP beating values probably won't elevate you to a championship.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Judgy Fucker posted:

Hi fantasy football thread, I do not follow the NFL at all (college guy) but I’m tired of being the only person in my social circle who doesn’t play fantasy football so I’m diving in this year. I see a bunch of resources in the OP, I will take a look at those but wanted to ask:

What is one (or two, or whatever) piece of advice you’d give a total neophyte for their first draft? Thanks in advance.

Focus on RBs and WRs (your format may favor one over the other). QBs are generally plentiful, TE is a wasteland if you don’t grab the top 1 guy like Kelce, so grab more potential WRs and RBs instead.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 20, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Judgy Fucker posted:

Huh, that's a fun one. Probably... understand the rules of your league and the site you're using. I think that's the biggest thing that changes what players are even good. There are settings that dramatically change the value of players. Like can you start 1 or 2 QBs (often called Superflex)? In Superflex QB is insanely important. Is it 0, 0.5, or 1 point per reception (PPR)? PPR can really boost guys who might not be total alpha studs but catch a billion 5 yard checkdowns. How and when do waivers work (this is when you drop and add new players during the season)? Understanding this stuff will help you avoid really big mistakes.

Find some rankings you like and just use that starting out. Don't blindly follow them though. Like if you're up and the highest ranked player is an RB but your first 2 picks were also RBs you should probably take another position. Also "average draft position" (ADP) is a thing. It's a measure of where each player is picked on average across all drafts. Patrick Mahomes will have an earlier ADP than Baker Mayfield. "Reaching" for guys way earlier than their ADP is usually bad because you could have picked a more valuable player and likely still gotten that guy the next round. Getting guys who "fall" way later than their ADP can be good value. An example would be last year's Seahawks. Everyone thought they would suck rear end so they kept falling and falling. When they turned out to actually be quite good, anyone who gambled on their players in a late round looked brilliant. Guys in your draft app will probably be sorted by ADP so you don't need to go out of your way to find this.

Do not take a kicker or defense until the final 2 rounds. We are always wrong about what defenses will be good and you can usually just "stream" the position by adding someone playing vs a poo poo team that week.

It's supposed to be fun! Don't overthink it (unless you find that fun, like most of the degens in this thread). Draft players you like. Do trades. Talk mad poo poo.

kiimo posted:

Draft Kelce

be aware that kiimo's mission in life (I hesitate to call it a posting gimmick since he's 100% sincere) is hyping all chiefs players all the time. Even guys who are probably not going to make the roster. But... he's not wrong here

Ayudo posted:

1. Draft for upside and ignore downside

More or less agree as long as you aren't taking insane risks on every pick. You gotta take swings, nobody will ever care that you came in fourth with a bunch of boring safe dudes. If you aren't first you're last.

The later you get in the draft the truer this gets. Late rounds are for "this guy probably won't do poo poo but if he does he's a league winner". If he fails who cares he was your 15th round pick dump him on waivers

vvv all of this is good stuff

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 20, 2023

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

I started playing FF for the same reason as you, except that at the time I had never watched a football game other than a Superbowl here and there (and I was only there to hang out).
The first year I auto-drafted and basically had the internet manage my team. Second year I actually recognized some of the players and I drafted myself. From there I just started slowly learning more, watching more games, reading and so on until eventually I won a championship.

Some random advice in no particular order:
-There is a some skill involved but it all comes down to luck. You can read every article, make every "right" decision, spend hours looking at stats and still lose.
-Stay involved in the waiver wire, setting up your team, and considering trades. You can actually turn a bad season around or keep improving a winning team.
-If you will be playing again with the same people it is best to offer win-win trades or at least make offers that aren't insulting. You might fleece someone once but then they won't ever want to trade again. People value players differently and might have other needs so you can actually win on a trade.
-Pay attention to the league rules, especially if it is normal, PPR (point per reception), or Half PPR. PPR shifts the value of players towards pass catching backs and WRs with more targets as opposed to pure RBs and long stretch WRs.
-IMO it is not worth it to pay attention to BYE weeks when drafting, you can worry about that during the season.
-Try not to draft too many players from the same teams. While it could work out it could also tank your season. If for example, you had a QB, WR and RB from the same team and the QB got injured that would make the whole offence worse and you'd be down 3 players.
-TE, K and DST are mostly a crapshoot unless you have a top 3 TE, so usually it is better to just throw a dart during the season until you find a serviceable one. Only one person will have Kelce and most other will be playing the TE roulette.
-Good player IRL does not necessarily mean good FF player. Justin Fields last season was pretty bad/average passing but he had some insane runs and you could get him off the waiver wire during the first half of the season. This year he is now going as a top 5-8 QB.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Docjowles posted:

be aware that kiimo's mission in life (I hesitate to call it a posting gimmick since he's 100% sincere) is hyping all chiefs players all the time. Even guys who are probably not going to make the roster. But... he's not wrong here

Deneric Prince, ba beh!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Judgy Fucker posted:

Enjoy yourself, and don’t overthink yourself. If there’s a player you want, grab him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

kiimo posted:

Draft Kelce

The one time you should listen to Kiimo

Judgy Fucker posted:

Don't stress to hard about getting RB's if you're not drafting high. There's lots of guys who could handle being full time but are going to be stuck in committees. If the league is PPR or half you've got way more room for guys who will produce something respectable. Draft who YOU want always. If you think particular dude is going to be good grab him. Make the team your team not whatever the consensus ADP says. ADP should be treated as very loose guidelines not hard rules.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah last year in the league with big rosters I loaded up on backup running backs. By the end of the season I had Kenneth Walker and Rachaad White starting for me.

not that I won :(

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

kiimo posted:

Yeah last year in the league with big rosters I loaded up on backup running backs. By the end of the season I had Kenneth Walker and Rachaad White starting for me.

not that I won :(

Yeah it’s likely that if you pay attention to injuries and work the waiver wire you’ll end up with a top ten dude or two on your team that wasn’t even on the radar when your draft happened

I’ve been playing for 8 years and my main advice is just pay attention. Not all of your league mates will.

And nthing punt on TE until late in the draft if you don’t get a top 3 guy.

Stock up on WRs with a good QB

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Holy poo poo several really good replies.

kiimo posted:

Draft Kelce

"Is this a joke or serious? I'm too ignorant to know."

Ayudo posted:

1. Draft for upside and ignore downside.

2. Drafting small wins doesn't matter.

There are never more then 5-10 true difference making players in a given season, so finding guys with that kind of upside is all that counts. Building a mediocre team out of ADP beating values probably won't elevate you to a championship.

I have no frame of reference to judge upside and downside in the NFL, and I do not know what you mean by "drafting small wins." But the second part of your post (the second sentence in particular) is really helpful in hindsight, I did not know what ADP was but it was clarified.

Bellmaker posted:

Focus on RBs and WRs (your format may favor one over the other). QBs are generally plentiful, TE is a wasteland if you don’t grab the top 1 guy like Kelce, so grab more potential WRs and RBs instead.

Straightforward advice I totally comprehend. Thanks!

Docjowles posted:

Huh, that's a fun one. Probably...vv all of this is good stuff

Playing ESPN, it'll either be 1 or 0.5 PPR. I guess they do some other funny rules that I infer are largely inconsequential and are mostly for laughs.

Oh, and the Kelce thing wasn't a joke. Good to know!

And confirmation of another person's experience similar to mine is awesome.

Silly Burrito posted:

Enjoy yourself, and don’t overthink yourself. If there’s a player you want, grab him.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Draft who YOU want always. If you think particular dude is going to be good grab him. Make the team your team not whatever the consensus ADP says.

Alright cool, if all else fails I'll just draft OU dudes or anyone else with a cool name or something.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Kelce got me into the playoffs the last 2 years. Seriously he is worth a first round pick

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

One of these days Kelce will be too old to draft

Not today

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

kiimo posted:

One of these days Kelce will be too old to draft

Not today

No reason to think he can’t do it again

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Cat Hassler posted:

No reason to think he can’t do it again

I dunno Kiimo is getting a little emphatic this year.....

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Why spend on kelce when andrews do trick

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Spoeank posted:

Why spend on kelce when andrews do trick

Why go to McDonald’s we have McDonald’s at home

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Why go to McDonald’s we have McDonald’s at home

lol

Andrews is getting hyped this year and hell I like him too. But he’s only actually done the Kelce season one time. Kelce does it every god drat year.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I am not even sure if I would have Andrews in the top 5 TE.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pain of Mind posted:

are there even five TEs worth rostering this year?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Poque posted:

Just gonna quote this so I can post it once a year around this time.

TE loving sucks and every single league would be better off scrapping it for another flex slot. Every year there's like maybe 4 worth even rostering and only because it's Kelce, who's draftable, and three random schmucks who all have a career year and then disappear.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

He’s the consensus #2 so you’re definitely out of step on that. But “experts” are also wrong all the time. Giving them the finger to draft your own favorite dudes and then being right is one of the joys of fantasy :cheers:

Fantasypros has Pitts as TE5 and I don’t know how anyone can make themselves pull that lever again. Yeah draft for upside but the upside has to have some chance of manifesting.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Poque posted:

1. Kelce,
2. Andrews,

a big gap

3. Hockenson,
4. Pitts,
5. Freiermuth.

That's the whole list.

Edit: Shultz is your $1 punt the position guy.

Ayudo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 21, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ayudo posted:

1. Kelce,
2. Andrews,

a big gap

3. Hockenson,
4. Pitts,
5. Freiermuth.

That's the whole list.

Calvin Ridley will take some looks away from Evan Engram (I think Ridley will take more looks from Zay Jones, personally) but I still think he'll be a solid TE this year. Dougie P loves his TEs.

edit: Engram was TEP TE5 last year even though the Jags needed half the season to get the worst layers of the Urban Meyer stink off.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 21, 2023

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Calvin Ridley will take some looks away from Evan Engram (I think Ridley will take more looks from Zay Jones, personally) but I still think he'll be a solid TE this year. Dougie P loves his TEs.

edit: Engram was TEP TE5 last year even though the Jags needed half the season to get the worst layers of the Urban Meyer stink off.

I'm sure Engram is good for like 130 - 150 FPTs (in .5PPR), but he definitely has more target competition this year than last. I just think those five guys are the most likely to finish top 3 at the position in about that order of probability.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ayudo posted:

I'm sure Engram is good for like 130 - 150 HPPR Pts, but he definitely has more target competition this year than last. I just think those five guys are the most likely to finish top 3 at the position in about that order of probability.
I dont know what he would look like in Half PPR so it sounds like we're comparing apples to oranges. I think Engram will be a top five TEP TE, definitely ahead of Freiermuth (because its a Matt Canada offense) and probably ahead of Pitts because of the passing volume the Jags will have compared to the Falcons. Engram had 213 TEP points last year when the whole team was recovering from the Urban Meyer Experience and learning the new offense. Year 2 will be noticeably better so I think at worst Engram will be around 200 TEP points this year if Ridley vultures targets.

Engram was 4th in receiving yards for a TE last year (1 yard ahead of Kittle lol) so I think he'll still produce in 0PPR or HPPR formats.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 21, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I really enjoyed having Goedert last year (til he and Hurts both got injured at the end of the year and loving torpedoed my run). It was so nice to have a reliable ~10 points a week instead of my usual play of streaming some dipshit and hoping they don't give me a 0. I don't usually go in for mid round TEs but there was nobody else on the board in that range I liked so gave it a shot. I feel like he deserves some credit.

edit

Engram was TEP TE5 last year even though the Jags needed half the season to get the worst layers of the Urban Meyer stink off.

While technically true he was massively buoyed by one HUGE game against the Titans where he scored like half his points for the season. But hell, having that kind of ceiling is rare, so I get it.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 21, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Docjowles posted:

I really enjoyed having Goedert last year (til he and Hurts both got injured at the end of the year and loving torpedoed my run). It was so nice to have a reliable ~10 points a week instead of my usual play of streaming some dipshit and hoping they don't give me a 0. I don't usually go in for mid round TEs but there was nobody else on the board in that range I liked so gave it a shot. I feel like he deserves some credit.
I laughed (almost) all the way to the championship when I didnt draft a TE in like three different leagues then picked up either Kmet or Juwan Johnson off of waivers a day before the season started.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

I dont know what he would look like in Half PPR so it sounds like we're comparing apples to oranges. I think Engram will be a top five TEP TE, definitely ahead of Freiermuth (because its a Matt Canada offense) and probably ahead of Pitts because of the passing volume the Jags will have compared to the Falcons. Engram had 213 TEP points last year when the whole team was recovering from the Urban Meyer experience and learning the new offense. Year 2 will be noticeably better so I think at worst Engram will be around 200 TEP points this year if Ridley vultures targets. Engram was 4th in receiving yards for a TE last year (1 yard ahead of Kittle lol) so I think he'll still produce in 0PPR or HPPR formats.

Oh yeah, TE premium the numbers are a bit better. If it's like +1 pt per reception vs everyone else then at least the top 5 or 6 TEs will score like a top 12 WR (and Kelce projects like a god in that format).

In any other format though only the top 2 or 3 TEs matter at all.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

IIRC Andrews started really well last year and then he fell of a cliff. I also had Hock in another league and he won me a couple of weeks with insane numbers but most other games he did nothing noteworthy.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Chernabog posted:

IIRC Andrews started really well last year and then he fell of a cliff. I also had Hock in another league and he won me a couple of weeks with insane numbers but most other games he did nothing noteworthy.

Yeah Andrews was red hot for the first ~third of the season, people were saying he might finally surpass Kelce as the TE1 (lol). He had a bunch of 20+ point PPR games. Then he was hurt for a while and when he finally got off the injury report, Lamar missed the rest of the year and all of their other players were dead too and the Ravens just generally ground to a halt.

The upside case is everyone stays healthy and he plays like that again plus the new OC calls a more pass heavy offense. Will it happen that way? Who knows :shrug:

For what it's worth Kelce's ADP on Underdog best ball is currently 6 to Andrews' 29. So if you feel like Andrews can have a Kelce season getting him in the third round and instead using your first on Diggs or Ekeler or AJ Brown or whatever is insanely good. But it's a huge IF

edit: I'm excited that the fantasy thread is starting to pop off already :getin:

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 21, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As an Andrews dynasty tight end haver, I am a bit worried about this season. A lot of sites predict increased numbers for him this season now that Lamar is healthy and contracted up but I do wonder how all these weapons will steal some targets from him.

I'm still pissed I didn't get Flowers in dynasty.

Speaking of dynasty I'm gonna be upset if the Jets pick up Dalvin Cook and tank my Breece Hall projections

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Docjowles posted:

He’s the consensus #2 so you’re definitely out of step on that. But “experts” are also wrong all the time. Giving them the finger to draft your own favorite dudes and then being right is one of the joys of fantasy :cheers:

Fantasypros has Pitts as TE5 and I don’t know how anyone can make themselves pull that lever again. Yeah draft for upside but the upside has to have some chance of manifesting.

I would be pretty comfortable with Kittle, Hockenson, Goedert, or Schultz over Andrews.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Schultz is interesting. He was sneaky and cheap on the Cowboys but with Houston he may get a lot more targets. Rookie QBs throw to tight ends a lot it seems. It's not like Nico Collins is going to be much of a target hog

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm highly suspicious Schultz is just a guy and is now on a poo poo team with a rookie QB. But he's going in double digit rounds so like whatever. The "security blanket for the rookie" narrative is there if you want it.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I forgot he is no longer in Dallas, which probably drops him down my rankings some.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Ayudo posted:

1. Kelce,
2. Andrews,

a big gap

3. Hockenson,
4. Pitts,
5. Freiermuth.

That's the whole list.

To be fair Schultz won me my league for the first time last year he’s not THAT bad, those week 17 TDs were huge.

Pain of Mind posted:

I forgot he is no longer in Dallas, which probably drops him down my rankings some.

Oops I also forgot this.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m gonna do whatever it takes to get Kelce and Mahomes this year lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kilometers Davis posted: