Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

stock buybacks are not considered profit. hope this helps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The 24 hour economy is hosed. Started drawing back even before the pandemic but that was the nail in the 24 hour coffin.

https://archive.is/2023.07.19-104820/https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/early-bird-dinner-matinee-broadway-4b822052

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

This is the only quote I found interesting:
Homogamy—marriage within the same socioeconomic class—has soared to levels not seen since the pre−World War I Edwardian era.

If this is true, and based on parent's wealth (because there's no way it can be based on spousal earnings when women weren't in the out of the house workforce), I wonder what's making this happen. Social media/dating apps is too easy of an answer, but I'm grimly wondering if we're actually in the Gattaca world where every partner is looking each other up online.

more like homo gay me

lmao gottem

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

i haven't used reddit once since apollo stopped working lol i wonder how apocalyptic their user numbers are

:same:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The 24 hour economy is hosed. Started drawing back even before the pandemic but that was the nail in the 24 hour coffin.

https://archive.is/2023.07.19-104820/https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/early-bird-dinner-matinee-broadway-4b822052

Mcdonald's had all-day breakfast in 2019 and they act like that never happened and are back to the 10:30 cutoff lol

*butterfly meme* is this collapse?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i knew the internet was on shaky grounds when the first geoblocking started happening. your computer must be in this country to access this webpage.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

no one wants to work (night shift) anymore!

but yes pretty much all of them are gone. honestly, for worker safety that's probably a good thing. night shifts are the most dangerous for workers

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if you sell 20 candy bars you get a bag of saline, 100 some anti-emitics, and if you sell 100000 candybars you can get a batman branded lung

Jul 20, 2023

skooma512 posted:

Mcdonald's had all-day breakfast in 2019 and they act like that never happened and are back to the 10:30 cutoff lol

*butterfly meme* is this collapse?

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i knew the internet was on shaky grounds when the first geoblocking started happening. your computer must be in this country to access this webpage.

big escalation with "you must obstruct your airway in order to purchase"

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

We are a few years away from physicians being for the top 5% and everyone else getting a lovely chat bot

the $40k heart monitor I use on the ambulance has an algorithm based interpreter and we are specifically trained to treat it with complete skepticism because it cannot differentiate well outside perfect parameters (peaked t-waves flag as “tachycardia” because it mistakes them for r-waves, bad at differentiating STEMI mimics, etc). I use it basically for some small measurements I can’t get without calipers and to make sure I’m not missing something obvious, but otherwise it is useless.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

RealityWarCriminal posted:

yeah i dont give a gently caress. we created a world spanning post scarcity information network and we used it to clamp down on sharing things. it's a loving wreck.

the world spanning information network was fundamentally incompatible with the concepts of intellectual property and private profit. for this reason it had to be eliminated.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

euphronius posted:

not if they are unionized I don’t think

maybe

My city dumped unionized (AFSCME) city-paid trash workers & subbed it out to private companies like 20 years ago.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I cannot count how many times I've heard the "Many of them choose this!" argument. It's a defense mechanism: 'the system can't be that cruel, so these people must be willingly subjecting themselves to abject poverty for the hell of it'.

That drives me crazy. If you press it a little bit it usually gets back the idea that they actually make like a thousand dollars a day just standing around. You may ask, if that were true, wouldn't you quit your job and do the same thing? No, because that's for Bad People, and Good People go grind it out to get their rear end in a top hat boss rich for pennies instead.

Its loving nonsense if you think about it for a single minute, but it's what many or most people decide to believe

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Real Mean Queen posted:

That drives me crazy. If you press it a little bit it usually gets back the idea that they actually make like a thousand dollars a day just standing around. You may ask, if that were true, wouldn't you quit your job and do the same thing? No, because that's for Bad People, and Good People go grind it out to get their rear end in a top hat boss rich for pennies instead.

Its loving nonsense if you think about it for a single minute, but it's what many or most people decide to believe

It's up there with the welfare queen story and "I saw a food stamper buy steak"

Jul 20, 2023

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the world spanning information network was fundamentally incompatible with the concepts of intellectual property and private profit. for this reason it had to be eliminated.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Griz posted:

the shelters are overcrowded, underfunded, give you bedbugs, are full of thieves and rapists, are trans-exclusionary, etc

but anecdotes aren't evidence so clearly the poor are voluntarily dying on the street instead of being forced there by our broken safety net and society in general

libs love to throw out the catch all mental health these days

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 58 minutes!
I loving love buying steak with my EBT. $20/lb ribeye? My freaking treat

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Hello IT? Yes, I think my monitor is broken.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

https://www.post-gazette.com/busine...es/202304060133

This hot dog place did not close, because it was never going to. The point of coverage like this was to get the homeless shelter next door closed. And it worked.

"These people have places they could go!"

closes the places they could go

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ram dass in hell posted:

hollywood accounting is all 1000% loving fake as hell
it's not profitable but ohhhh hey we paid the producer's production company 40% of revenue and that's a production cost and look at that we made zero profit to share with the cast and crew meanwhile the producer made tens of millions of dollars. ez game

Hollywood accounting means the movies and special entities created in connection with movie making are supposed to "lose money" on paper so that the megacorp parent companies can use tax tricks to post even bigger profits. The big companies themselves aren't supposed to lose money. They are supposed to siphon money that would be going to actors and other workers directly to executives and shareholders, not into a gigantic money pit!

Jul 20, 2023

Poppers posted:

https://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=33412

right now monthly benefits are off by a factor of 12. 10 years ago monthly benefits were off by a factor of 3.

:suicide:

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

skooma512 posted:

I got a call from an allergist I made an appointment with in April for September, and then they said that the doctor has better things to do that day and so now my appointment is in December.

So what just find another allergist.

Wait that's the only one in network? Oh well sucks to be you

Greatest healthcare system in the world :patriot:

Jul 20, 2023
how much money does one have to make to afford private healthcare?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

My city dumped unionized (AFSCME) city-paid trash workers & subbed it out to private companies like 20 years ago.

We just use slaves (aka prison labor) for ours down here in Dixie.

Jul 20, 2023
10 years ago private health insurance only was 23% of my monthly income

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Poppers posted:

That's right.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Ebola Roulette posted:

So what just find another allergist.

Wait that's the only one in network? Oh well sucks to be you

Greatest healthcare system in the world :patriot:

Who's in network? Idk we'll see :rolldice:. I don't even think the doctors know half the time who's network they're in this week.

I once asked Blue Cross Blue poo poo to refer me to a psychiatrist. They gave me a list. I called 3 of them on the list, who all promptly told me they don't take my insurance and that the initial appointment was $500, I poo poo you not.

[A quality pistol and ammunition can be had for about as much, and its yours in 10 days at worst]

I guess it's because I had a plan that favored only people who were in the hospital system that I used to work at (bankrupted by the Catholic Church and the guy who now owns the failing LA Times). The only psychiatrist on staff at my dead gay hospital, I knew him well, because he came in for a password reset literally and actually every single day, nothing would stick with him. I actually reported him to management because he's loving senile and a hazard, but it's ok I was told, he doesn't believe in medications and just does talk therapy so there was no risk of a medication error :v:. This is the person that I assume was in network.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Real Mean Queen posted:

If you press hard enough, the mask comes off halfway and they'll say they won't get the super secret welfare those people get so that they vote Democrat.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Okuteru posted:

If you press hard enough, the mask comes off halfway and they'll say they won't get the super secret welfare those people get so that they vote Democrat.

I know I know :rolleyes: NPR

But this is a really good piece about how political objections to welfare and "people don't want to work" were manufactured out of pure racism. This whole series is pretty rage inducing of course. No new info for most itt but I found the archival audio and interviews really interesting.

https://www.marketplace.org/shows/the-uncertain-hour/chapter-3-race-and-rumor/

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Gas back above $3.50 here.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

skooma512 posted:

I once asked Blue Cross Blue poo poo to refer me to a psychiatrist. They gave me a list. I called 3 of them on the list, who all promptly told me they don't take my insurance and that the initial appointment was $500, I poo poo you not.

all my mental health provider acquaintances that went to private practice take no insurance and they’re the problem.

when my spouse flirted with the idea of doing private for her mental health practice a lot of places were fee for service and she told them that unless they took at least Medicaid it was a no thanks. if she started her own it would
definitely be for insurance. would be less money but she wouldn’t have a contradiction constantly in her mind.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

What are misleading stats for $2000

Jul 20, 2023

Mr Hootington posted:

What are misleading stats for $2000

tough to argue against down and to the right.

mission impossible still has yet to post a profit, sitting at $259 million in gross sales, in its first week of global availability.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Vox Nihili posted:

Hollywood accounting means the movies and special entities created in connection with movie making are supposed to "lose money" on paper so that the megacorp parent companies can use tax tricks to post even bigger profits. The big companies themselves aren't supposed to lose money. They are supposed to siphon money that would be going to actors and other workers directly to executives and shareholders, not into a gigantic money pit!

yeah, probably. but i simply cannot believe anything they say about their profits at all. impossible to distinguish the kayfabe from actual financial problems IMO

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Mr Hootington posted:

Gas back above $3.50 here.

it's $6 here. lucky duck!!

Jul 20, 2023

ram dass in hell posted:

yeah, probably. but i simply cannot believe anything they say about their profits at all. impossible to distinguish the kayfabe from actual financial problems IMO

what can we do to fix this?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

72023 posted:

nationalize hollywood

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

72023 posted:

Subscribe to every streaming service like a good consumer and everything will sort itself out

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ram dass in hell posted:

it's $6 here. lucky duck!!

your fault for not living in a bidenomic state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 20, 2023