Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Into the Unknown 1-6

“poo poo,” Rampart cursed as her target sailed over her head. It’d been a quicker reaction she’d been expecting. Its broad, flat feet flashed by only a few meters above—near enough that she could’ve sworn she felt the heat from the jump jet exhaust.

Without a moment’s hesitation she rolled her ‘Mech’s arms up and back, tracking the fake SLDF ‘Mech. For a brief moment she mused that the Blackjack might’ve been a decent autocannon carrier, its limbless arms certainly had the traverse speeds to let it track an enemy AeroSpace fighter—and then the pirate opened up with its weapons as it came down behind her. SRMs corkscrewed out of its launchers, raining down on her Blackjack from above. Fortunately, none penetrated—but her DI computer flashed warnings anyway. The Blackjack’s frontal armor wasn’t especially heavy but its rear armor was even worse.

“Watch your maneuvering, kids,” Grandpa cautioned unnecessarily. “You may be quick but this guy’s cagey. Don’t let him flank you.”

Movement Phase
[N/A]

Shooting Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0605!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Unknown Vehicle #2: target not in firing arc!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown Vehicle #2: target not in firing arc!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown Vehicle #2 (4 gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, missed!

Sentinel (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0804!
- Fires Ultra Autocannon/5 [Ultra Mode] at Unknown Vehicle #2 (4 gunnery + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 8, with a cluster roll of 6! 1 shell deals 5 damage to Front!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Unknown Vehicle #2: target not in firing arc!

Blackjack (Player)
- Reverses arms to engage primary target!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2: target not in firing arc!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2: target not in firing arc!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, missed!
- Fires Flamer [Damage] at Unknown BattleMech #2 (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, missed!
- Fires Flamer [Damage] at Unknown BattleMech #2 (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, deals 2 damage to Left Leg

Hoplite (Player)
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon [Slug] at Unknown BattleMech #2 (2 gunnery + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 8, deals 10 damage to Right Torso!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (2 gunnery + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 10, hit left leg! Damage blocked by terrain!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (2 gunnery + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 6): rolled 5, missed!

Unknown Mech #2
- Fires Medium Laser at Blackjack (4 gunnery + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 6, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Blackjack (4 gunnery + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 10, hit Left Arm (7/12 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Blackjack (4 gunnery + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, with a cluster roll of 9: 5 missiles hit Right Leg (15/17 armor remaining), Rear Left Torso (4/6 armor remaining), Rear Left Torso (2/6 armor remaining), Rear Center Torso (7/9 armor remaining), Left Arm (5/12 armor remaining)!
- Fires SRM-6 at Blackjack (4 gunnery + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, missed!

Unknown Vehicle #2
- Fires SRM-4 at Sentinel (4 gunnery + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, with a cluster roll of 11: 4 missiles hit TAC! Guts reroll spent (3/4 Guts remaining)! Rear Right Torso (3/5 armor remaining), Head (7/9 armor remaining), Left Arm (6/8 armor remaining), Right Leg (6/10 armor remaining)!
- - Sentinel must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 10, succeeds!

Melee Phase
[N/A]

Heat Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 10!

Blackjack (Player)
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 18!

Hoplite (Player)
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 16!

Unknown Mech #2
- Gains 17 heat, sinks ??!

End Phase
Unknown BattleMech #2
- Becomes Desperate!

Map Link

Objectives
Primary Objective
- Defeat or Drive Off All Enemies (2/3 BattleMechs, 1/2 Vehicles)
OR
- Destroy All Shelters (0/4 Shelters)

Player Status:

Ally Status:
n/a

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
Going In Blind - Enemy units that are not in Line of Sight appear as blip markers, obscuring their facing. Their facing is still being tracked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

Into the Unknown 1-6

For a brief moment she mused that the Blackjack might’ve been a decent autocannon carrier,

Hehehehehe, good one

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The SRMs hunger, my god :stonklol:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gwaihir posted:

Hehehehehe, good one

lol

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

would it be reasonable to change the colours of damaged armour/structure on the paper dolls? just the number, or maybe the background behind the number. imo it would make it easier to see at a glance what's been hit vs what's still fresh

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I also find the new paper dolls harder to read at a glance. They're much more stylish, but the green/yellow on black doesn't communicate information as well.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Orders in, going to cut around to the other side of the water to 1108 and shoot the mech, since he seems more interested in going down fighting.

I also prefer the old paperdolls to the new style, personally.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 16, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think I'm going to head to 0705 and shoot the mech wherever he goes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm going into the woods at 1005 and turning around

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Still at work but I got the update mostly done yesterday so I should be able to finish after work.

I've heard your complaints about the paperdolls and will be converting to this after this mission:

Or something similar, as I do more tweaking.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 17, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Into the Unknown 1-7

“He’s hunting for an opening to run,” the enemy ‘Mech squirmed under Theo’s guns as he advanced at a steady walk. It was the SLDF’s preferred form of advance: slow, inexorable, but reliable. Anything slower than the Hoplite would be left behind unless a siege was needed. Anything faster would advance with the unit and hide their speed until it was needed for a surprise flanking maneuver. Theo had been on the battle line many times—the wild kids that made up the rest of the lance clearly hadn’t. Their eagerness was nothing that time wouldn’t cure, but for now they needed the calm, stoic discipline of a seasoned veteran to guide them.

“Keep the pressure on and we’ll break his will.” The seasoned veteran coached the rest of the lance. “If he’s desperate, his morale’s fragile. Don’t give him a moment of respite—and for the love of God and the Star League, don’t let him hit you somewhere vital. The last thing we want is for him to think he can win this fight.”

Movement Phase
[N/A]

Shooting Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1107!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2: (4 gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 10): rolled 6, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2: (4 gunnery + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 12): rolled 9, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2: (4 gunnery + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 12): rolled 7, missed!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires Ultra Autocannon/5 [Ultra Mode] at Unknown Vehicle #2 (4 gunnery + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 3, missed!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Unknown Vehicle #2 (4 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 4, fails to lock-on!

Blackjack (Player)
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (4 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (4 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (4 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, deals 5 damage to Left Leg!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (4 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 8): rolled 3, missed!

Hoplite (Player)
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon [Slug] at Unknown BattleMech #2 (2 gunnery + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 6): rolled 8, deals 10 damage to Left Arm!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (2 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 8): rolled 12, deals 5 damage to Right Leg!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (2 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 8): rolled 6, missed!

Unknown Mech #2
- Fires Medium Laser at Hoplite (4 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (/ armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Hoplite (4 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 3, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Hoplite (4 gunnery + 2 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 light woods = 9): rolled 3, missed!

Unknown Vehicle #2
- Holds fire!

Melee Phase
[N/A]

Heat Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)

Blackjack (Player)
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 18!

Hoplite (Player)

Unknown Mech #2
- Gains 10 heat, sinks ??!

End Phase
Unknown BattleMech #2
- Remains Desperate!

Map Link

Objectives
Primary Objective
OR

Player Status:

Ally Status:
n/a

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
Going In Blind - Enemy units that are not in Line of Sight appear as blip markers, obscuring their facing. Their facing is still being tracked.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

drat, he zigged when I zagged.

I'm thinking of getting up in that APC's face and putting it down. Water is only +1 to enter, not to move through right?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
+1 per depth (up to a maximum of +2) to enter each water hex, plus a piloting test, plus the usual MP costs for elevation changes and you can't run on a turn you enter a water hex.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Bloody Pom posted:

drat, he zigged when I zagged.

I'm thinking of getting up in that APC's face and putting it down. Water is only +1 to enter, not to move through right?

You can get to 0603 with a full run up and around without touching the water I think. Water is INCREDIBLY punishing to move through, avoid it if at all possible imo.

I love ole grampa Theo, the SLDF vibe is fun after all long and so so many games set in the 3025-> era.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Man, that's rough. I'll go with your suggestion since it also gives me a good move mod and puts me in stompin' range.

I appreciate Theo's logic, but he isn't piloting a `Mech that's in danger of dying to a mean look. Speed is life!

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 18, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, water is a big tar pit. It has its uses but it's best avoided wherever possible.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Is it punching time yet? Do we have any punch-capables?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Both the Mongoose and Sentinel are capable of punching, albeit the Sentinel's not particularly good at it.

Anything else will depend on what you salvage or what you get when you tap into the spares on the Goddess Orinoco. Of course, what those spares actually are could potentially get better over time the longer you resist activating one of them...

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Thinking of going to 0505, shooting at the mech and kicking the tank. Is anyone else considering 0505 or am I free to take it?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'm moving to 0603, alpha striking and kicking the APC from the side which should be more than enough to kill it. Would a good idea for the heavier Mechs to keep pressure on the enemy mech, but I wouldn't mind an extra pair of feet helping me out.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 18, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

My main gun has a minimum range and punching does less damage than it anyway.

Anyway, going to 0701 to light up the Javelin

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 18, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Doesn't 0603 open you up to a big attack by the mech?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

It's going to move before I do, and I'll have enough of a move mod that the mediums will be a more appealing target. I trust PTN enough to not metagame with initiative and prior knowledge of where we'll be moving to :v:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 18, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

It's going to move before I do

It's desperate, it's moving after you do. Desperate units are (temporary) Aces, but if they stay desperate long enough without scoring a significant hit they'll break and start fleeing. Likewise, if they go long enough without taking any damage they'll calm down and resume fighting normally, so it's a good idea to keep pressuring a desperate unit to try to force it off the map. Once they break they stay broken.

This is entirely GM determined, it's not a timing thing, it's just me gauging how well they're doing to try to make the last part of a fight a little more challenging with an option to finish it if I think the players are starting to get frustrated or bored.

It also gives you tactical choices to make like: sure, you can finish off the crippled Commando but if you do that fresh Hunchback is going to be the sole survivor. Do you really want to risk a desperate AC/20 carrier?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I don't think it's metagaming, the mech is just winning initiative. I can go to 0505 and line up a stomp on the vehicle but I'm worried that the mech will be able to kill one of us

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Right, after. I got how initiative works backwards :doh:

My point remains the same though, in that I don't know where it's going to be by the time I've repositioned. Going to amend my orders either way to focus on the mech instead.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 18, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Into the Unknown 1-8

“Watch that Javelin, old man!” Ironhead shouted. She’d been paging through Jane’s Fighting BattleMechs on a secondary monitor, and had found something close enough. The arms were wrong, but the pair of six-pack short range missile launchers in the torso were almost spot-on. She hadn’t really had a lot of time for a deeper look; but having something to call it felt more satisfying than just saying ‘that ‘Mech’ or ‘the enemy.’

The Javelin leapt into the air on its jets, barreling towards Theo’s Hoplite with reckless abandon. Its pilot didn’t even try to fire, even as the entire lance turned as one and opened up with their weapons, scouring its armor and blasting most if it away in the span of only a few seconds. The enemy ‘Mech weathered the barrage with surprising grace—and no little smoke where lasers had set myomer bundles ablaze.

Ironhead held her breath as it struck Theo’s Hoplite from above, and collapsed almost at once, head-butting the Hoplite on the way down. The Hoplite staggered backwards, its canopy cracking under the blow, but Grandpa kept it upright, standing resolute in the face of the enemy’s most desperate attack. Scrambling to its feet, the enemy ‘Mech turned to flee, all thoughts of self defense gone as the enemy Mechwarrior tried to lurch away on a broken leg.

Movement Phase
Sentinel (Player)
- Unable to enter hex 0701: hex occupied by allied unit!

Unknown BattleMech #2
- Attempts a Death from Above on Hoplite!

Shooting Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1107!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2: (4 gunnery + 0 range + [1] movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): Rolled 9, deals 8 damage to Center Torso!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2: (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): Rolled 6, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2: (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): Rolled 12, deals 5 damage to Right Leg!
- Fires Small Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2: (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): Rolled 8, deals 3 damage to Right Arm (5/6 structure remaining)!
- Unknown BattleMech #2 suffers a critical chance in Right Arm: rolled 2, no critical hit sustained!

Sentinel (Player)
- Fires Ultra Autocannon/5 [Ultra Mode] at Javelin? (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): 7, with a cluster roll of 3: 1 shell deals 5 damage to Left Torso!
- Javelin? must pass a piloting test or fall (5 piloting + 1 took 20+ damage in 1 phase = 6): rolled 8, succeeds!
- Fires Streak SRM-2 at Javelin? (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, 2 missiles deal 2 damage to Left Arm, Left Leg!

Blackjack (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0504!
- Fires Medium Laser at Javelin? (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, deals 5 damage to Center Torso!
- Fires Medium Laser at Javelin? (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 7, deals 5 damage to Right Leg!
- Fires Medium Laser at Javelin? (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 3, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Javelin? (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, missed!
- Fires Flamer at Javelin? (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 9, deals 2 damage to Right Leg!
- Fires Flamer at Javelin? (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 8, deals 2 damage to Center Torso!
- Fires Flamer at Javelin? (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 5, missed!
- Fires Flamer at Javelin? (4 gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement = 7): rolled 4, missed!

Hoplite (Player)
- Fires LB 10-X Autocannon [Cluster] at Javelin? (2 gunnery + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 cluster = 3): rolled 11, with a cluster roll of 8: 6 submunitions deal 1 damage each to Left Arm, Right Arm, Left Torso, Left Arm, Right Torso, Right Arm!
- Javelin? suffers a critical chance in Right Arm: rolled 7, no critical hit sustained!
- Javelin? suffers a critical chance in Right Arm: rolled 11, 2 critical hits sustained!
- - Left lower arm actuator damaged!
- - Medium laser destroyed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (2 gunnery + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 4): rolled 8, deals 5 damage to Left Torso!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown BattleMech #2 (2 gunnery + 0 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 4): Rolled 9, deals 5 damage to Left Arm!

Unknown Mech #2
- Unable to make shooting attacks during a DFA!

Unknown Vehicle #2
- No valid targets in front arc!

Melee Phase
Blackjack (Player)
- Unable to kick Unknown Vehicle #2, target not in front arc!

Hoplite (Player)
- Kicks Unknown Vehicle #2 (3 piloting + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 5, deals 12 damage to Front!

Javelin?
- Launches a Death From Above attack on Hoplite (5 piloting + 2 piloting skill difference + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 11, hit! Deals 12 total damage in 3 clusters to Center Torso (21/26 armor remaining), Left Arm (13/18 armor remaining), Head (7/9 armor remaining (Pilot hit!))!
- Hoplite must pass a 3+ piloting test: rolled 4, succeeds!
- Hoplite must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 2 suffered a DFA attack = 5): rolled 6, succeeds!
- - Hoplite displaced into hex 0605!
- Javelin? suffers 8 total damage in 2 clusters dealing 5 damage to Right Leg (8/10 structure remaining) and 3 damage to Left Leg (7/10 structure remaining)!
- -Javelin? suffers a critical chance in Right Leg: rolled 7, no critical hit sustained!
- -Javelin? suffers a critical chance in Left Leg: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained! Rolled 4: Foot actuator destroyed!
- Javelin? must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 actuator damage + 1 suffered 20 damage in 1 phase + 4 successful DFA = 11): rolled 7, fails on its back in hex 0604, facing hex 0705!
- Javelin? must pass a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 1 actuator damage + 1 suffered 20 damage in 1 phase + 4 successful DFA + 2 avoiding pilot damage = 13): automatic failure!
- Javelin? must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Javelin? suffers 8 damage in a fall dealing 5 damage to Left Leg and 3 damage to Head (Pilot hit! TAC!)
- - Javelin? must pass a 5+ consciousness test: rolled 9, succeeds!
- - Javelin? suffers a through-armor critical chance in Head: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained! Rolled 1, Life Support destroyed!

Heat Phase
Mongoose (Player)
- Gains 21 heat, sinks 20!

Sentinel (Player)

Blackjack (Player)
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 18!

Hoplite (Player)

Unknown Mech #2
- Gains 4 heat, sinks ??!

End Phase
Unknown BattleMech #2
- Morale Breaks!

Unknown Vehicle #2
- Morale Breaks!

Next Turn’s Movement Phase:
Javelin?
- attempts to stand (5 piloting + 1 actuator damage = 6): rolled 11, succeeds! Stands facing hex 0603!

Unknown Vehicle #2
- Flees the engagement!

Map Link

Objectives
Primary Objective
OR

Player Status:

Ally Status:
n/a

OpForce Status:

Special Rules

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DFA hell yeah.

Can we ask for surrender of the mech or do we have to spend another turn trying to blast it to do that?

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Into the Unknown 1-8

“Watch that Javelin, old man!” Ironhead shouted. She’d been paging through Jane’s Fighting BattleMechs on a secondary monitor, and had found something close enough. The arms were wrong, but the pair of six-pack short range missile launchers in the torso were almost spot-on. She hadn’t really had a lot of time for a deeper look; but having something to call it felt more satisfying than just saying ‘that ‘Mech’ or ‘the enemy.’

Never really thought about it before, but Whitworths really do kind of look like spindlier Javelins with slightly different heads.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Thaaat's what I was afraid he might try. I'm going to swing around the building to 0804 and keep pouring lasers into him, maybe I'll hit something important if he's not already off the map.

vvv Was just about to ask that.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 21, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Does morale breaking mean the mech has lost the desperate tag? I think so as it appears to have stood up and moved

I can move behind it and alpha again. It would take me to 16 heat though, maybe hold off to avoid any explosion rolls. I don't have the chart handy but can look tomorrow

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 21, 2023

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Explosion checks start at 19. Shut down is 14, so maybe don't do that though.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Battlemech flamers don't need ammunition (they're venting superheated plasma straight from the engine), so it's impossible for your particular model of Blackjack TO explode.

Shutting down is not ideal though, and liable to get your pilot yelled at by the mech techs.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

D F A

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Jeez, maybe see if you can aim for the legs here and try to take this guy alive.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

With how many back shots we've got lined up next turn, he's going to go down to either critical engine/gyro damage or his SRMs exploding. If the latter, we likely wouldn't have any issue tracking the fleeing APC. Who knows, there could even still be people holed up in the shelters.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Bloody Pom posted:

With how many back shots we've got lined up next turn, he's going to go down to either critical engine/gyro damage or his SRMs exploding.

:allears:

How's it feel to be so young and unmarked by BattleTech?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Strobe posted:

:allears:

How's it feel to be so young and unmarked by BattleTech?

Oh don't worry, I realized my mistake moments after I posted that :smith:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Well now, that was absolutely sick as hell. I figured there was a chance I'd eat a suicide charge, but, hey, worth while for Gramps to grouse about a headache for a few days to take that shot. I'm going to continue to stand in place and sandblast the back of the retreating Javelin, maybe crit that leg off for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Javelin?
- Launches a Death From Above attack on Hoplite (5 piloting + 2 piloting skill difference + 1 light woods = 8): rolled 11, hit! Deals 12 total damage in 3 clusters to Center Torso (21/26 armor remaining), Left Arm (13/18 armor remaining), Head (7/9 armor remaining (Pilot hit!))!
- Hoplite must pass a 3+ piloting test: rolled 4, succeeds!
- Hoplite must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 2 suffered a DFA attack = 5): rolled 6, succeeds!
- - Hoplite displaced into hex 0605!
- Javelin? suffers 8 total damage in 2 clusters dealing 5 damage to Right Leg (8/10 structure remaining) and 3 damage to Left Leg (7/10 structure remaining)!
- -Javelin? suffers a critical chance in Right Leg: rolled 7, no critical hit sustained!
- -Javelin? suffers a critical chance in Left Leg: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained! Rolled 4: Foot actuator destroyed!
- Javelin? must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 actuator damage + 1 suffered 20 damage in 1 phase + 4 successful DFA = 11): rolled 7, fails on its back in hex 0604, facing hex 0705!
- Javelin? must pass a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 1 actuator damage + 1 suffered 20 damage in 1 phase + 4 successful DFA + 2 avoiding pilot damage = 13): automatic failure!
- Javelin? must pass a 3+ consciousness test: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Javelin? suffers 8 damage in a fall dealing 5 damage to Left Leg and 3 damage to Head (Pilot hit! TAC!)
- - Javelin? must pass a 5+ consciousness test: rolled 9, succeeds!
- - Javelin? suffers a through-armor critical chance in Head: rolled 8, 1 critical hit sustained! Rolled 1, Life Support destroyed!

DeathFromAbove.txt

Great job guys, you've nearly brought it home. That Whitworth shouldn't last long now, its back is totally exposed. Even if it manages to survive the shooting phase, a few good kicks should finish it off.